Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan 350Z Gas Mileage Reports

2»

Comments

• hhookshhooks Posts: 1
    I drive my 350Z about 100 miles per day, 90% of which is interstate. I was getting 23 mpg average. I have always driven 75 on the interstate, and I like to accelerate quickly from stoplights. However, a couple of weeks ago, I computed how much money my wife and I are spending each month on gasoline. I was spending nearly $500 per month in my car, and she was spending nearly $700 per month in hers (Denali). She just bought a 4 cylinder Camry, and we are going to drive the Denali very sparingly.

I studied the hypermiling websites to try to figure out how to get better gas mileage. I have slowed to an average of 55 mph. I do pulse and glide with the engine on (accelerate to 60, coast down to 50, then repeat). I also have started accelerating more slowly (2,000 rpm instead of 4,000). I coast to stoplights instead of rushing to them and slamming on my brakes. I turn my engine off if I know it is going to be a long stoplight (over 30 seconds). I do not draft behind semi's or drive with the engine off while coasting at highway speeds because I am afraid of getting decapitated by a tire if the semi has a blowout and because I am afraid of losing control without power steering and brakes.

I reset the mpg gauge, and my new average for combined city/highway miles is 31.9 mpg. I also tested the highway mileage by resetting it when I got on the interstate and then looking at it when I exit. If I pulse and glide, I average 36 mpg on the interstate. If I set the cruise to 55, I average 33 mpg on the interstate. The city mileage still sucks (9 to 18 mpg), but luckily, I don't have much city driving. I calculated my mileage manually after my first full tank since driving this way, and I got 30.4 mpg. I filled up at 492 miles, and I could have gone well over 500 miles (maybe 600), but I didn't want to push it, and I wanted to fill up with the same pump.

I don't know if I will be able to keep driving this way. I've always been a lead foot, but it's nice to know you can get decent mileage if you try. Also, I still have the power there when I want to accelerate. Maybe I just don't have to drive that way all the time...
  • car_lovecar_love Posts: 27
    I'm driving a 2005 350z Touring - I commute about 15 minutes to work 50/50 highway/city. I don't gun it, shift at about 2600 RPMs and will shift to 5th or 6th if coasting/cruising real slow on city streets (around 40mph-50mph). I get about 19mpg by doing the check miles, record number of gallons to fill, then rinse and repeat... after two fill ups from half tank. Doing the math, I get exactly 19.20 MPG. I imagine if I drive on the highway a lot longer, it'll improve by about 5mpg or so.
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    edited April 2010
    That's about what I get too. Definitely the more highway miles, the better the mileage per gallon. This is a car that likes to run, not poke around in the city.
    For sure, I'm learning that now. I do simply LOVE driving the car. Haven't had this much fun in years.
    Exactly my thought when I bought it! Mine is a Redline Touring Roadster, 2005, bought in April, 2006, exactly 4 years ago. (It had arrived at the dealer in the late fall of 2005 - not a great time to sell convertibles. So I got a great deal on it.) Love, love, love it.

I track the mpg quite often. On a long highway trip with very little city traffic, I'll get between 25 and 26 mpg. If it's mostly putzing around town, doing errands, stuck in traffic, lots of stops and starts, it's around 19. Both those numbers are comparable to our outgoing 2000 Maxima GLE (being traded in tomorrow for a new car.) I think that's pretty good that a sports-oriented roadster, driven most of the time with top down, in a reasonably "spirited" way, gets almost identical mileage to the family sedan.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,894
    FYI.

I once read that the best way to get good mileage out of a stick is "foot to the floor and short shift." Using this method, I used to get 25mpg with my 6-speed Touring Z with about 30-40% around town driving.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

Here's my fill up report today:

167 miles on 7.938 Gallons = 21.03 mpg 50city//50highway. I'm actually pretty happy with that. I got bought the car with no gas in it and have a feeling it was regular, think I just had to clear out the cobwebs. Excellent car! Loved it in the canyons this weekend.
    Glad you're having fun!

21 mpg isn't too terrible. The more highway miles, the better; the more in-town miles, the worse. 21 is a decent average.
    thanks, love the car, great fun. just getting the little gremlins out that the previous owner chose to ignore LOL like a bad clutch master cylinder.
2»