Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Real World MPG

Comments

• I also experience great mileage. 2004 2.5L, gets average of 25 MPG in town and 32-37 on the highway, depending on speed. Recently drove across the state of Iowa, cruise on at around 68 MPH, and got 37-38 MPG. Going 70-75 MPH, I get a lower 32 MPG or so.

Had a 97 Altima, and loved it. Never tracked the milage that close, but it was great also. And this car had so much more power than a Honda Civic.

The 04 does make some engine noise, I wouldn't necessarily call it pinging, but I have ignored it and considered it semi-normal. Had a check engine light come on and the dealer lowered the idle RPM, which I think is now a bit low.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,701
    " drive ALOT, and I average about 1800 miles a month. I read up on premium vs regular and even found out the dealer puts 87 in, so I've just been using that and it has been running fine and has lots of power. I have filled it up and calculated the miles vs the fuel I put in the tank and came out with the following mpg: 18.8, 20.1, 19.5, 19.5, and 19.4.

I've read on here that the mileage will go up 2-3 thousand miles and that the computer adjusts to your driving habits. Is this true? I was hoping for an average of 22mpg per the new fuel economy standards. My previous vehicle was a Toyota 4Runner and the new fuel standards said it averaged 15mpg which was dead on.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, if I were to put in premium, would I make up the extra cost with better fuel economy? "

I take it PUG is the recommended grade. Your computer can and will adjust timing for the lower octane (87) . You do lose app 10% in performance, which on the face of it is really not a big deal. So what remains is really a cost benefit calculation/problem.

Do you pay less for regular and get slightly worse mileage or pay more for premium and get better mileage? TEST IT!

So for example using YOUR RUG mpg; your average is 19.46 mpg/rug price per gal= $? per mile driven. Just do 5 tankfuls of PUG and see what the mpg is and what the per mile driven is. Compare obviously. Then you can make a decision based on (objective, hopefully) comparative data.

Personally I would ask why would you buy a car that requires/recommended premium, when buying a vehicle that requires/recommended RUG would have done just fine? In all likely hood you would have paid FAR less. RUG costs less, and you could have used those saved monies for more RUG!?
  • ruking1...

Well I bought the 3.5 b/c I like having a powerful engine. Money is not tight for me, but I do have a house payment, a new car payment, insurance now on two vehicles, etc...so I feel like I'm throwing money away using premium. It's not that much, but I just don't think it is necessary. My previous vehicle, a V8 2004 4Runner, suggested premium as well, but when gas prices went up I put regular in and it worked fine as well.

The 3.5 is rated at 270hp, and 258 torque. 90% of that is 243hp & 232 torque which is still plenty of power. Thats a 68hp and a 52 torque difference, so it is still significant. Despite being a 4500 lb vehicle my 4runner was pretty fast, and using 87 the Altima is significantly faster.

Also, it's a Nissan Altima, not a BMW 3 Series. If I bought one of those I would use premium! I'm not insulting the Altima here by any means. I think it's a great car! Oh, and btw, filled up today and it averaged out to 19.9 mpg, so it seem like the car is slowly starting to get better mileage.
  • Oh, I was comparing the 3.5 to the 4 cylinder when I said 68hp and 52 torque difference.
  • hey omelet, just curious if your mileage got better with time? i'm still running about 15 mpg. If i'm not mistaken, the altima has a 20 gallon tank, which should last at least 340 miles if the mpg were around 17 and up. i have 700 miles to go to hit 2000 miles so hopefully this gets better as xmas shopping has me mad broke
  • Yeah, it seem to be improving. My last fill-up was 19.9mpg, so hopefully it keeps going up. I'm expecting just over 21mpg when it is all said and done since i'm using regular. Typically, when I fill up it's anywhere from 15-17 gallons btw. Oh, and 15mpg is pretty low, I would take it to the dealership and have them look at it.
  • Hey, I have the 2008 Altima 3.5 and I have been getting 23 - 24 in town and that is Atlanta traffic. In the summer with the air on it was 22 -23 mpg. I go back and forth with the RUL and PUL. My foot is not too light but not that heavy in traffic. Someone at the Nissan dealership said that it might need some tweaking on the EFI. I hope that it gets better for you. Gotta agree - I love the power that it has! When you turn the heat on, try pushing Auto and then push the A/C button to turn it off and see if it gets better. Hope this helps!
  • rukin1....one quick question for you. You said a 10% decrease in performance using regular. Using regular do you get a 10% decrease in fuel economy as well? If so that would put it right around the new fuel economy standards saying that the 3.5 SE averages around 22mpg using premium.

thanks
    In the case, where I did the side by side comparison, no. But I could almost immediately feel the performance difference, so I did not drive it normally.
  • 97alty97alty Posts: 4
    Hi all, I recently put on snow tires and my MPG went down from 32 to 26. What would that mean?

My MPG is

Track Your MPG
    To me it means that snow tires and winter operations are 18.75% less efficient.
  • I'm praying i break 20 mpg let alone 23-24, but we'll see on the next tank, still keeping tabs on each fill. By the way, what's an EFI? From a quick google search i'm guessing something about the way the computer in the car reads something? Thanks for the advice, either way I'll call the dealership to see if this may be a cause of the not-all-that mileage
  • geo05geo05 Posts: 3
    "By the way, what's an EFI?"
    EFI = Electronic Fuel Injection
  • rvg567rvg567 Posts: 1
    Greetings All,

What is the mpg that most of you have been seeing on a 08 2.5S? Reading reviews/ discussions on edmuds, it gives me the feeling it can range anywhere from 15 - 27 in city and more for highway driving. What is more realistic to expect out of a 08 SE?
  • I have a 2008 2.5 with < 700 miles on it. My first tank was 24.3 and the second tank was 23.8 mpg. My driving is probably 60% city / 40% highway and I drive it like and old lady + I do a lot of coasting. So far I've been pretty disappointed considering the EPA rating, but it is MN in the middle of winter. Hopefully it'll get better.
  • dconnordconnor Posts: 20
    2005 Altima 2.5S- During the time I drove it I was up to ~27 mpg after about a year.
    That was not just the trip computer but from my fillup calculations, although in my experience the trip computer was always within 0.5 mpg or less of my calculation. My son now has the car at college, 450 miles from home, all interstate except for <10 miles. On that all interstate trip he has been getting right at 30 mpg.
    I forgot to say that the 27 mpg. was combined highway and city, probably 70/30.
    I was so pleased with the 2005 Altima and its mileage for its size and comfort, I was going to get a 2007 or 2008 for myself, but they downsized it too much and lost too much driver's legroom and back seat space to accomodate my legs and my family members. I was very disappointed.
  • 97alty97alty Posts: 4
    So why is my gas mileage always goes down in winter?
    I know it's colder (in most places :) ) so more oxygen in the air and engine needs more gas for proper mixture, but it should make more power than too, right?
  • tslbmwtslbmw Posts: 166
    I am very happy to report that my mpg have been right in line with the 19/26 epa. I have 1500 miles on my car and here are my last three readings:

22.1 80% in town/20% hwy
    26.1 10%/90%
    25.2 30%/70%

For such a fast ride, I'm pleasantly surprised to achieve such strong mpg numbers during the break in miles. Hopefully these numbers will continue to improve during ownership.