Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Real World MPG

Comments

• franny67franny67 Posts: 1
    My 06 2.5SL gets 29mpg city & hwy :D
  • tzzooomatzzoooma Posts: 5
    Just made it to 1k miles after a month and numbers have stabilized.

2009 Altima Sedan 2.5S
    MPG - 32.6
    MPH - 37.4

What are your numbers?
  • I have a 05 2.5s altima and i get about 32mpg thats a mix between city and highway but , mostly its city miles..I use the highest octain gas and add marval mystery oil to each tank of gas.Some times i get higher mileage 34 or so highwway but it never goes under 27mpg in the city.I reset my miles every time i fill up and this last tank i got 448 miles and put 14g in the tank and had 6g left in the tank before i filled up.its was near empty when i filled up.And i always use shell gas nothing else..
  • boodrowboodrow Posts: 15
    I recently purchased an 09 Altima 2.5s in Post Falls, ID and then drove it home to Fairbanks, AK. Hiway mpg is running 31-32 and suburban commuting about 26. This is calculated brim full to brim full mileage, not the computer. The computer tends to be optimistic by 10%. Not bad but it needs a good diesel engine which would get around 45 and I would change to in a heartbeat. I did look at the Jetta TDI's but concluded I would save enough on the car to buy a lot gas.
  • I also have an 06 2.5 and get 24-27 fillup-fillup driving all highway. Not anywhere near what the sticker said. Now Nissan quotes 25-27 Highway. That is about $8000.00 more for gas over the life of the car.
    Jim
  • 2009 2.5s, 6M, 7900 miles. Computer shows 32.2, which is right on target with my calculations. Very satified with the mileage and the range of this car. I'm not hypermiling or anything, though I drive the interstate a lot, I spend most of the drive between 75-80 mph.
  • I have over 68K miles on my '07 Altima, and I can happily say that I CONSISTENLY get 33 - 34 miles per gallon on the Hwy, driving @ 65 - 70 mph. :D
  • I have 1600 miles on the odo and according to the trip computer:

Avg MPG - 29.6
    Avg MPH - 29.5

About 40% of that is hwy, 60% city. My work is just 5 miles from my home. I commute between home and work 4 times each weekday. I think, such frequent short commutes kill my mpg.

I accelerate slowly and coast whenever I can. I use 87 octane gas.
  • I went thru the lemon law only to find out that according to the EPA and nissan.
    Unless you are driving 55 to 60 with your windows shut and your air off you
    will not get the mpg on the highway.I did get the 31 mpg at first but as soon as the
    senscers worn in I was lucky to get 26 .I think it is easier to find a Needle in a hay stack then to to get good mpg to of an altima.
  • Wow, I cannot believe you did that. I've been driving mostly Toyotas (Avalon, Camry, Corolla), Nissans (Altima, Maxima), and 1 Honda (Accord). I've never got the EPA. I usually got 4-5 miles less than the EPA.

I have some doubts with those people who claim that they can get better MPG than the EPA. :confuse:
  • I am considering purchasing an 09 or 2010 Altima (2.5S, CVT), and I've enjoyed the test drives I've been on so far, but I wanted a little longer test drive, so yesterday I rented one.

2010, 2.5S, had 600 miles on it when I rented it. After completely filling it up, I spent a few hours yesterday driving it around - 221 miles total. Approx 80 miles of that was highway, the rest was a mix of city/suburban.

When I filled it up this morning, the trip computer said 31.2 MPG, which worked out to be about 10% optimistic, as I put in 7.9 gallons, which equals 27.97 MPG. I filled it up "to the brim" both times, but this morning's fill was on a slight incline away from the filler neck, so I probably put more gas because of that fact.

Today's 100 miles worth of driving was a combination of backroads and some stop-n-go boulevard type stuff. The trip computer read 32.8 when we reached our destination, but after the boulevard stuff, some "let's see what she'll do!", and the trip home, it reads 31.8. If the optimistic nature of the trip computer is consistent, then its still getting approx 28 mpg.

Granted, these are short trips, but I thought I would share my experience anyway. Oh, I really like the car...may buy one!
  • ^^^^^ Tire pressures were as stated on the door sticker (~32psi). Max sidewall press is 44psi for all you hyper-milers :)
  • godeacsgodeacs Posts: 481
    33K miles and consistently get 28-30 mph with a mix of city/driving. I'm very pleased - EPA estimates are "spot on". Suppose a lot depends on your driving habits...... :)
  • Well, I filled up my rental Altima today just before returning it. 139.4 miles driven/4.282 gal = 32.4MPG. Again, yesterday's "fill it on an incline" probably helped today's situation, but that's still decent mileage!

I also reset the computer just as I started my highway commute to work today. Drove about 32 miles at about 65mph, and the computer read 36.4 MPG at the end of my journey here in NC.

YMMV :P
  • Hi, My 2005 Nissan Altima is giving only 16-17 mpg in city and maximum of 24mpg in highway.
    Mileage - 39000
    Gas - Regular gas.
    By reading the above posts i feel that there is some problem in my car engine. Please help me/give me some tips on increasing my mileage.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Posts: 749
    24MPG is not bad. You might be able to get a couple more miles. I think I only got about 25-26 w/ the '05. I used to get about 28-29 w/ the '07. I just got the '10 and I haven't done a long trip yet.

However, I don't drive like a grandma. I just go w/ the fastest traffic.

It mights help by replacing the air filter if you haven't done that for the last 5 years..
  • Thanks for the response. I will change the air filter and see if that makes any difference in mpg.
  • atlanta7atlanta7 Posts: 1
    Hello all, I would really appreciate some help! I bought a 2000 4cyl altima with 155k and I am only getting an average of 210 miles per tank from a 15.7 gallon tank!! After I bought the car I noticed it did not have an air filter but after putting in a top of the line K&N filter, new spark plugs and using a liquid "tune up in a bottle" solution I am still getting this terrible gas mileage.
    I must make mention of the fact that before the purchase the "check engine" light was on but I was told this had been addressed and the car did pass emissions. The day after purchase, 6 weeks ago, the light was back on and has stayed on. Could an emissions issue be causing this problem?

I am not lead footed and the tires are properly inflated - what could the problem be?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Regards,
    Adrian
  • Only getting 19.5 MPG on the first two tanks of gas. The first tank I got stuck in a traffic jam for an hour but the second tank seems to be giving me the same or similar results. The MPG gauge is reading 22.3 MPG. Am I driving the car wrong? I use it in the city, but I do drive on the Houston Beltway at 70-75 MPH for 20-24 miles daily during the week.

I am reading some of the mileage results that people have on this forum and I am stunned at how well their vehicles perform. Would I be better off using the sport transmission on the CVT or just the regular CVT? I had hoped to get at least 25 MPG out of this new car.
  • char5321char5321 Posts: 3
    If you just got the car that not bad it will get better after 7500 miles. But they have
    very sensitive sensors and they effect the mpg. I started the lemon law process to
    find out that the epa / gov. is in on the scam .They told me that if I was not going 55mph with my window up and my air off I had no chance in getting what it's was rated at.
    Go to this site and watch the video on driving . It will help you curve your driving and
    you will get better mpg. Mine does great in the city . but below the rating on the highway. Some of the problem is the hills and mountains . But most of it is the corrupt
    manufactures and to many government payoffs
  • spurs2spurs2 Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 2.5 CVT and the trip computer overstates mpg by at least 10%.
    I get 27-28MPG at 70-75MPH. You can actually exceed the 32MPG if you drive
    55-60 MPH on the highway. This and the brakes are the only complaints I
    have with 62000 miles on odometer. Front brakes have been replaced twice
    and I am easy on brakes.
  • ndiboyndiboy Posts: 36
    Well, you are not alone. The meter MPG most times are wrong. One needs to drive and fill up the tank to be able to get an accurate calculation. I have a 2.5s with SL package 2002 Altima rated 23 and 29 city and highway respectively but even with the meter I get 17 -18MPG city but after fill up and calculating I always get b/w 16-17 MPG. On the highway most times meter reads 29.1 - 32MPG but my calculation lands me in 27MPG. I have learnt to ignore the meter reading because most times it is wrong and misleading. The one that annoys me most is that of city driving, for a 4 cyl 16MPG is just too poor and too bad for the Altima.
    Can anyone help, what can I do to improve the city MPG?
    Thanks Onuchukwu C.E.
  • ikeupikeup Posts: 5
    I live near Corpus Christi, TX. 2008 Altima gets 24 - 26 on hiway and 17-18 city.
    Recently went to Grand Canyon. Economy increase to 33 - 35 hiway. On return trip as soon as I passed El Paso economy dropped to 28. Has to be a performance chip/hi altitude compensation issue. Any thoughts? :(
  • ikeupikeup Posts: 5
    Engine is a 2.5 CVT. The 24 to 26 hiway and 17 to 18 city is from the computer. As was the 33 -35 hiway in Arizona. My mileage started climbing during the trip to Arizona somewhere around Roswell, NM where it increased to about 30. Then as we went further north and west it continued to climb. On the trip from Williams AZ to Grand Canyon and back to Williams, the average was 39. Then as we got closer to Texas, it started dropping. I can only think of 2 reasons it would behave this way. Quality of gasoline, I only use unleaded regular and Arizona has better gas, or altitude compensation in the computer. Possibly leaning the fuel mix at high altitudes and over enriching at lower elevations. Ed HIcks Nissan dealership in Corpus Christi, TX are clueless and say they cannot help me as there is no error code to read.
  • Just bought a '10 2.5l coupe, specs say 32mpg hwy...which is misleading because those mpg #'s are derived under perfect indoor conditions. My first 2 tanks I got 20-23 mpg on the highway!!! I'm a commuter so 90% of my miles are hwy miles. This is why you don't get good mpg. Lead foot, AC, wind resistance, hills, quick accelerations, tire psi etc. Goto http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.shtml, there's a chart of MPG vs. MPH. Anything over say 60 MPH you drop substantially in MPG. At 75-80 MPH you're lucky to get 20 MPG under the best outdoor conditions, e.g., no AC on, low wind, constant speed, no hills. Thanks to George Dubbya the standards used by the EPA to calculate MPG were lowered and the #'s are now more misleading than ever before...great for the auto and oil industries but crappy for us consumers.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,443
    Actually the standards were raised for mpg. The numbers were lowered. My car was 34 mpg highway and it is now 31 mpg highway.

FWIW I get way way over the EPA numbers with a lifetime average of 34.6 and dozens of tanks over 40 mpg.
  • alti07alti07 Posts: 1
    Hi, I hope it was fixed already. If still required, I would suggest to check either CO2 sensor(s) or Knock Sensor. These two parts are crucial for gas mileage. Hope it helps.
  • sodaguysodaguy Posts: 71
    I have a 2010 Altima V6 CVT sedan with 6k.

If the entire tank consists of only short 1-5 mile trips, then 17-18 mpg is what I get. A/C usage or lead foot driving does not seem to make much of a difference.

If the tank has about 1/3 highway, then I average between 21-22 mpg.

If it is 100% highway, then it ranges between 26-30 depending on the speed, load and terrain.

All of these figures were obtained with 87 octane, as recommended.
  • I am here to tell you - that my 2007 2.5 s - gets terrible gas mileage, I drive very light footed and dont run up on lights or tailgate.. and use my brakes very infrequent, (conditioned from my chevy blazer 97). Anyhow, i live in east TN - and the car is used for my wife to go to school and back and getting groceries - and a few out of town day trips to atlanta. my wife has one short bybass road to commute to school (1 light 45mph-flat 3 mi.) and rest is interstate about 5 mi. she goes 5 times per week back and forth -- other than this she goes to local shopping district home depot,kroger ,mall etc.. all about 6 mi from home - 1 light on the trip - 40 mph rd one hill. we have yet to average better than 19 in the city - and our best on the interstate 65-75mph speed is 26 maybe 27 mpg. - that is way way less than expected- ac off - no load in the car just two people. car cleaned and waxed - fresh mobile 1 oil and tires at 35psi. nice weather no wind about 55 degrees/ - i dont care how they rate or when they changed - every car i have driven and owned in the last 20 years has gotten precisely the milage rated - my 79 ford granada, my 83 camaro, 81 mazda 626,85 subaru, 90, mustang GT, 97 chevy blazer. all of these got their ratings - i did get some freakish good milage something 55mpg with my 4cyl camaro once for one tank of gas. - i can only attribute to the gas or maybe some tail wind.. could never explain it -it as isolated incident. my blazer gets its milage loaded or unlaoded go into wind or against - this is usual for bigger engine cars - and small engines will see more impact from hillls and load and ac. as expected.. however driving habits load - or ac - can explain how the f*** they can tell me that these cars can ever achieve anything close to the 26-35 that was on my window sticker - i get about 7 and 8 miles per gallon less respectively . and there is nothing that someone can tell me to explain this - and i buy gas here or atlanta -makes no difference - i shop and regular brand name stations exxon ,shell, bp - so forth - anyhow ,my combined driving in my low steady city whcih accounts for 1 light in 6 mi of 45 zone./ which to me sounds like optimal hwy drivewaying conditions as mentioned in the forum - that 45 55 steady would yeild best - and yet i get no more than 21 combined.. this maybe 3 mi better per gallon than my 97 blazer. its so close -that when we fill the cars - there generally is no noticable differnce of whicih we use. for what .. and they say suv's are gas hogs/ if this how they are rating 4 banggers - i got news - i will buy suv for ever - never affected by ac load hills wind - etc.. and look as if they get = millage.. so i will never buy a nissan and 4 bangger again . an di am all for eco friendly but next time some says somethign about my gas hog suv , i will beat them down so far.. i have no idea how you people can manage to get 30 plus mpg. i know there seem to 2 types in here - those who get crap milage like me and others who get significantly more - like the rated.. sounds to me -as there are some cars comming out of the factory with computer settings wrong.. some how. or bad sensors...
  • boodrowboodrow Posts: 15
    I now have 31000 on my 2009 Altima 2.5S. I get between 26 to 33 mpg and usually about 29 in mixed driving. In summer weather 32 to 33 on a highway trip is normal if I keep the speed 70 or below. All numbers are real world calculated. I have had zero problems with the car but wish it were a manual transmission. I looked and looked for one but could not find one. My 1998 Camry with a manual transmission and 145000 on the clock will still get about 36 on a trip so I am not thrilled with the Altima's mileage. I am currently looking to sell the Altima and get either a Hyndai Elantra or a Cruze ECO. :D