Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Real World MPG

13»

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,853
    A reporter wants to talk with people who expected to get better gas mileage in their relatively new vehicle. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Tuesday, July 19, 2011 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience. Thank you.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• otoluvaotoluva Posts: 141
    I'm disappointed in my Maxima's MPG performance, I'm only getting 18 mpg, the car has 800 miles only, just hoping it will improve in time.
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    My 2011 Maxima gets 21 mpg in town. My commute is only about 10 miles and I have several stretches where I go a few miles without having to stop, so it's a pretty easy drive. I used to use Chevron Supreme and I would get right at 20 MPG; but, about 6-8 weeks ago I switched to BP Amoco Ultimate and my mileage has been running about 21.
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    18 MPG is in line with the sticker that came on the car. The AC and stop lights will keep you from getting too much. You're using premium unleaded?
  • otoluvaotoluva Posts: 141
    Yeah, premium only, by the way since my last post a few weeks ago my gas mileage has improved to about 20 MPG mixed driving (highway and in town) with the odo. reading lil over 3000 miles but still the car is supposed to average 22-23 according to Nissan.
  • Hello all, I have a 2010 Maxima SV. Great car! What other car has 290HP and gets this kind of fuel economy? I average about 23-24MPGs combined real-world driving, mixed heavy city and open highway driving using 93 octane. On long highway trips, using cruise control, I can easily break the 30 MPG mark going 70MPH +/-.. Yes, the trip computer is usually incorrect on MPGs, I would attribute to evaporation. seems the longer the gas is in the tank, the larger the difference between the computer and physical calculations.

One thing I'm wondering is, does the brand of gasoline make a difference? I swear Shell seems to give it more legs?!? The manual says to not use "oxygenated gasoline" like BP's premium "O2" somhting or other.. anyone find a certain brand is better or worse as far as economy/power response?
  • mtpetemtpete Posts: 9
    Picked up the car last Friday. Base model with Limited Edition package.

Around town, with a light foot, car returns in the low 20's cruising.

On the interstate, I drove at various steady speeds.

At 62 mph, it was returning a solid 40 mpg at times.

It goes down from there on up.

At 70-75, it was bouncing around 30 mpg.

This was all with the cruise control on.

I'm impressed; the car has less than 300 miles and if this improves with break in, I couldn't be happier.

I think the key to good MPG with this vehicle is to use the cruise control, and to use a light foot. The bar graph indicator for MPG is handy; pay attention to how it moves related to throttle and rpm's.

Will report more information as time goes on.

Great car - they can be had easily for $5k off of sticker right now.
  • Reset your AVG MPG.......it is probably calculating not moving sitting on the dealer lot. It should automatically reset to at least 20mpg if your moving.
  • ziyuluziyulu Posts: 47
    edited September 2013
    I have a 2011 Maxima. I use regular gasoline all the time. I can get 23 mpg in mixed driving. 26 on the highway and 20 in town.
13»