Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Hybrid Care & Maintenance

Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,026
Discuss Accord Hybrid routine care and maintenance here.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• I have been a Honda owner for a long time. I'm on my third Accord every one of which I have "run into the ground". I am now faced with a situation where I drive 60 miles each way to work every day. I am thinking of getting a Honda Accord Hy-brid but since this is a relatively new entry for Honda I would appreciate any feetback (positive or negative) about the Accord Hy-brid.

Thanks,
    Shirley
  • vietviet Posts: 847
    I have been a Honda owner for over 40 years. I am currently own an Accord hybrid and have been "insane" with it. It is so smooth, so quiet, top Accord, great torque. It is able to "glue" on the road while travelling at high speed and at tough driving conditions. Minimum MPG of 29 - 37 as EPA rating, may be more as happy Accord drivers praised it in other Accord hybrid forums. I am not hesistant to buy another Accord hybrid soon. One last advise to you: Be careful with the Accord hybrid or you may get a speeding ticket. In fact, it is a very fast greyhound disguised under a sheep skin outfit while it sips fuel moderately. Some guys can make it more than 41 MPG on highway trips.
    One may want to lower his/ her "white collar back" to make friend in a humble manner with a good Honda engine mechanic and a great auto body mechanic to get good discounts for his/ her car services. That's a nice name of the game under George W. Bush's "adventurous war game" against the Muslim allies that has been making all of us in the edge of bankruptcy.
  • Viet,

It has been interesting reading your input and I am glad you are so happy and passionate with your Hondas, especially your HAH You said:

It is able to "glue" on the road while travelling at high speed and at tough driving conditions.

I have a 2005 Honda Accord Coupe 6-speed and it rides very well. I am not sure i would call it "glued" to the road though.

I just partipated in the the Susan G. Koman Drive for Cancer, "Ulitmate Driving Experience" and BMWs are really glued to the road.

Viet, my question to you is do you feel the HAH is more glued to the road than other Honda Accords, specifically the 17inch wheel 6-speed Coupe or to all other cars in general? How would you compare the handling ad "glue" of the HAH to a BMW 330 or 530 ?

Thanks,

Mid Cow
    Hi Midnightcowboy:

When I drive myHAH I feel blue, I feel "glue" (on the road at high speed) and I feel Heaven. I have not test driven BMW 5 series so I have no idea. However. I did test drive BMW 3 series and I turned off as its interior is so small and crowded. The BMW's engine is great too but the price is still high.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,026
    ...this HAH Owners: C&M. Please keep the discussion to care and maintenance.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Yes Ma'am. First oil change has been done using Extended Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Car tends to "take off" the road at all time after the break-in.
  • Sorry I can't be as enthusiastic about my HAH. at 3,000 miles so far and MPG sits at 25.9, far below the city standards set by the EPA, and most of my driving is on the hwy. I live in Dallas, TX where the A/C runs almost all year 'round, and the city street driving is almost as bad as NY as far as fast starts off the line least you get run over from behind. So I can understand some give and take in the ratings, but I was hoping for at least the low end of 29 MPG and I'm far from that.

Ray
  • Sorry I can't be as enthusiastic about my HAH. at 3,000 miles so far and MPG sits at 25.9, far below the city standards set by the EPA, and most of my driving is on the hwy. I live in Dallas, TX where the A/C runs almost all year 'round, and the city street driving is almost as bad as NY as far as fast starts off the line least you get run over from behind. So I can understand some give and take in the ratings, but I was hoping for at least the low end of 29 MPG and I'm far from that.

Ray
  • My maint schedule calls for an oil change at 15, 000 or one year. Nothing about an early oil change. I have a 2005 HAH V/6. Are the salesman telling you to bring your car in for an "early" check-up? Or are you getting a notification from your dealers service center? I'm just wondering, because I am fast approaching 3,000 miles and wonder if I should have mine serviced. Thank you for and light you might shed on this for me..

Ray
  • s2khahs2khah Posts: 26
    When I picked up my HAH last month. My dealer (Princeton Honda) said to hold off on the first oil change until 7500mi.
    Thereafter they recommend every 3750mi (or the severe schedule on the maintenence chart).
    There seem to be two things for this disparity.
    One is the first change allows a complete break-in of the engine. This makes some sense due to the fact that it is likely to get the best fuel mileage the engine should be well broken in.
    Two the need for "severe" oil change intervals is mandated by the engine "auto shut off" feature which mimics the 'hard on the car driving' of frequent stops and starts.
    Over the long haul, I plan to put synthetic oil in the engine (Amsoil) also maybe elsewhere,and then do several oil analysis cycles to see how the oil holds up. I suspect that the main problem with the oil may end up being fuel contamination of the oil due to the frequent starts.
    I will try to post any information I learn from this exercise.
    Hi Ray,

Please be a bit more patient. You should eventually get 29 - 37 MPG. I usually get a little bit more with my "conservative driving style". Enjoy your new HAH.
  • I started this thread and since have found a few other sites about Honda Hybrids. I found that with my type of driving (mostly highway and in Houston where you use the air conditioner all the time) the hybrids get about the same mileage as I get with my 2001 V6. I was initially concerned about the maintenance (it being a new entry for Honda) but have since found that it really doesn't make economic sense for me anyway.

Thanks,
    Shirley
    Hi Shirley:

It makes more sense to me in term of its 255 (Honda) real horsepower and the torque. It runs very fast, quietly, responsively and effortlessly compared to my EX V6 2002. I must say it is very fast, no lag, especially when I wake up late in the morning and need to "fly low" on the freeway to get to work ASAP. And I have been thrilled with it. It is truely an awful piece of "ultimate driving machine". My MPG is always about 28.5 - 30 mixed. I am not quite satisfied with it but it's OK. My young son recently reminded me that I had promised him that when he gets admitted into a prestigious university in the next few months I will have to surrender the key to him. Eventually, I will have to buy another one.

If you are so concerned about the HAH's low MPG you may try buying a Civic Hybrid, an (Honda) Insight or even a Prius.
  • chaitschaits Posts: 3
    Hi, I am thinking about buying an Insight in a few months time, and wanted to get your thoughts about this car...

While I read many of its pros, I wonder what are the cons... As such, what are the disadvantages of Hybrid vehicles?

Also, how reliable/trustworthy is Honda when it comes to the maintenance? I ask, coz I had a Sony Camera under warranty, but Sony asked for $120 as labour charges to fix issues when they arose. One of the advantages of buying a first hand car, for me, is because of the 60K warranty. Is that without catches?

Thanks!
  • tpftpf Posts: 7
    I had a 2000 Insight for five years before getting a HAH. The Insight is a wonderful car, fun to drive, incredibly efficient, and totally reliable in my experience. The drawbacks are that it is noisey, the ride was uncomfortable after an hour or so, felt unstable on the turnpike, bad in snow, and the stock tires are miserable. A change of tires led to a better ride and handling. The size was never an issue for me.
  • If your 2006-2007 hybrid has excessive engine vibration there may be a solution. TSB 07-059 issued on Oct. 26 says that an error in the engine control current measurement unit might be at fault and might need to be replaced. Honda says that payment assistance on out-of-warranty claims is available at the discretion of the district service manager.
  • mrmilesmrmiles Posts: 6
    I bought a new HAH in March 2005. It now has 85k+ miles, closing in on the rated life of the battery. Do any other long-time owners have experience with how the batteries hold up or anything I could do to lengthen its life? I can't see any way to do maintenance, it's a closed pack, right?

FYI, I can still get 37-38 mpg on the highway if I work at it. Mixed driving with a lot of hills gives an average around 32-33, not great but pretty good for the juice it puts out.
  • bnguyenbnguyen Posts: 2
    I'm debating on getting either an Accord or Camry. Does anyone own a Honda Accord 2008 ? I heard Honda has been having Transmission problem but I don't know on which car.

Please help
  • Have 100,000 miles on mine and so far so good. I am 2nd owner and been told by a couple Honda dealers they have never replaced these batteries as of yet. I am looking for info on how I can somehow keep my batteries warmed in the winter. Is there a heater out there that can be attached for this because now that its turning colder I have noticed my mileage is dropping off considerably. Got any ideas?