Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle Care and Maintenance

Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028
Discuss Freestyle routine care and maintenance here.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• bowcasterbowcaster Posts: 4
    I have about 2000 miles on mine, and am about to take the family on a road trip from Minnesota to Idaho and back to see the Parents. The total trip is about 3000 miles, and I'm wondering about changing the oil before or after. 2000 miles seems a little early, but after seems too late - any opinions?
  • nitromaxnitromax Posts: 641
    hmmm...good one. I haven't heard of any oil additives like Honda supposedly uses in their new engines. I'm assuming Ford uses standard oil in their new engines.
    If that's the case I would say better to change it at 2000 miles instead of 5000, but even 5000 is not that bad.

my .02
  • willie19willie19 Posts: 139
    I agree with Nitro on this point.In fact I might even change the oil after our first 1000 miles.Sounds a bit wasteful but my rationale is that there will be quite a bit of minute wear in particles during the breakin period.
    Most of this should be picked up in the oil filter.I just don't like the idea of these little bits and pieces recirculating in the engine during a prolonged oil change interval.On my 2nd o/c I'll probably go 2-3000 miles again for a good cleanout.
    After that follow Ford's recommended procedure for a long engine life.Oil is cheap and good insurance.
    I forgot to mention.

Being that you're going on a long trip, your engine will be operating at a sustained high temperature and, as willie said, there will be extra particulation in the oil due the new engine break-in. Those two variables can make for an early engine failure.....safe bet is to put some fresh oil in for the trip.
  • dgulinodgulino Posts: 38
    How about having it changed DURING the trip? Take it to a Ford dealer in Idaho while you're there.
  • bowcasterbowcaster Posts: 4
    Thanks for all the good advice folks. I will be a ways out in the wilderness, so getting it changed there (as much as my father would like to go along and chat up the guys at the local dealership) is not an option.

Looks like I'll be getting the first oil change this weekend.
  • Ford does use standard oil - not break in oil. I purchased my Freestyle while on vacation and put 2900 miles on it before I got back home. The only thing that I was advised when I asked about "breaking in" was to avoid using the cruise control during the first 1000 miles and to vary the speed. Drive it 60, 55, 65 etc.

I've now got almost 4000 miles on it and I'm still loving my Freestyle!
  • Was hoping some kind Freebie owner could take a peek in their owner's manual (or perhaps service guide) and tell me what the recommended interval is for oil changes in the Freebie and the amount of oil it holds.

Also, what does is say about servicing the Transmission? Any mention of periodically changing the Transmission Fluid? Do you see anything else mentioned regarding servicing the CVT?

As one who drives approx 30,000 miles a year, I'm trying to plan ahead to see what to expect.

I know it doesn't need a tune-up till 100,000 miles.

We're close to ordering a 2006 Limited AWD...Thank You! :) :
  • Right after I posted, I found the following link and answered some of my own questions:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

However, it appears to be a generic service manual so if anyone has some specific info regarding the CVT Transmission that would be most appreciated! :)
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Posts: 1,106
    I would change it at 2000 miles.

Then again, I've been known to change the first oil at 500 miles (not always, but I've done it).

I try to change mine every 2500 miles. But occasionally I've gone 5000 miles.

The standard use interval is 5000 miles and 6 months.

The heavy use interval is 3000 miles and 3 months.

I've never paid my attention to the months thing, but won't go longer than a year.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    Just don't take it to Jiffy Lube or the equivalent, or they may drain your transmission fluid instead. CVT fluid needs to be changed at 60,000 and checked before that by a qualified technician. There is no way for the consumer to check the CVT fluid by way of a dip stick.
  • mkyoungmkyoung Posts: 5
    What is the feeling about synthetic oil? Here is where my brain is at. I have the 2005 Freebie AWD. AWD is harder on the engine and transmission than FWD. I was thinking instead of using standard oil at 5K intervals to use a synthetic at either 5K or 10K intervals. Synthetic is suppose to last much longer that 10K, but I would change it at 5K/10K. I'm thinking (hoping) that the engine and drivetrain would last longer. WDYT?
    In a perfect world, a fresh supply of oil constantly replenishing itself would be the best option. That tells me that the more often you change the oil, the happier your engine will be.
    That being said, synthetics are designed for higher miles so changing it too frequently would be a waste of money, but I would say 5,000 miles is reasonable. As long as it doesn't strain your budget and the oil doesn't get dumped down the drain.

That's what I would do when I get to that stage. I'm only around 800 miles so I have a ways to go.
  • magdadmagdad Posts: 21
    The owners manual says to use at least a synthetic blend, not regular oil. For me, I'm going to bite the bullet and go with Mobil 1.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Posts: 1,106
    The Motorcraft 5W-20 is a synthetic blend.
    Yes I know, but the post above asked about the value of synthetic and I wanted to make a potentially non-warranty voiding point. I'm a lifelong Castoil man myself and am entering uncharted territories with synthetics.
  • vrmvrm Posts: 301
    Can I use regular gas in the Freestyle or does Ford recommend Premium gas?
    Thanks!
    It does not require premium. I personally use mid grade.
    The owner's manual says to use 87 octane.
  • The use of mid-grade or premium fuel in an engine designed to use 87 octane regular fuel is nothing more than a waste of one's money. You are not "treating" your engine.