Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have an 05 FWD Freestyle that has treated me very well thus far. 37K miles. Rear Brakes done at 20K - pads and rotors.

Recently it has begun to exhibit hard starting behavior. Occaisionally it will catch, only sputter for a cescond or two and die. Attempts to restart are always successful but follow a longer than usual cranking interval.

More common (not quite routine) is that the car will start but idle around 500-600 RPM for 15 seconds or so, smooth out an run higher than normal say 1500 RPM for 30+ seconds and then gradually slows to normal.

Car runs great otherwise and gas mileage has not changed, 21-23 in mixed use depending on how impatient I am...

It can do this cold or warm - much more frequently on the first start of the day.

It has never given a CEL.

Anyone esle experience this or have ideas?

Curtis
  • It seems like we have a good case for a free repair, but when he said that since it wasn't recalled (and why not? I had to drag someone out of the back hatch--doesn't seem very safe to me), they couldn't repair it gratis. We were going to eat the $400 and then sue them in small claims court, even if it's just to ruin their day. We are in a small town and I'm surprised that they can even survive here at all. So, I think I will go up the chain of command on this. Thanks for the kind of verifying what I was already feeling: that this isn't right and that they can do better.
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    If you took the car in while it was still under warranty and you have documentation of the service visit, (they will have a record in their system) I would argue that it should have been fixed at that time under warranty and go from there.
  • a few weeks ago the right front wheel bearing on our 05 FS Ltd. (47kmls) started to make a loud klicking noise when turning. It was replaced under the extended warranty. Car is less noisy now (i thought the noise came only from the tires which are noisy too) and to my surprise the mpg went up significantly. Initially we had the usual 21-22mpg in mixed driving and 25-28mpg highway. In the last say half year it dropped down to 18-19 and 23-25mpg, respectively. I wondered about that and cleaned the air flow sensor a few times. That boosted the mpg by about 1mpg but only for a short time. Now with the new bearing it's back again where it was, monitored over 3 tank fills. Obviously the bearing caused alot of drag. Surprising to me because the car still rolled easily in neutral out of the garage from standstill. I am monitoring that behaviour because the car once had the dragging rear brake pads which i noticed that way. Anyways, maybe something to inspect if mpg is unusually low.
  • jsr1jsr1 Posts: 5
    A similar thing happened to my 05 Freestyle. The probleme only happened occasionally and only when the engine was cold. When I brough it at the dealer the problem didn't occur (because the engine was already warmed up) so I left the car there and came back in the morning and had the mecanic try it out when the engine was cold. Fortunately it happened again. He took it in and couldn't find anything wrong and just changed the oil (thinking maybe the engine had been flooded and that this affected how the car was starting). But it didn't fix the issue. After a bit of research we discovered that this problem had been already identified and that there was a TSB on it. They reprogrammed the car or CVT computer (can't remember for sure) and it solved the issue. It has been over one year since then and the problem has never re-occured. I hope this helps.
  • vrmvrm Posts: 303
    Folks,
    I am in the market to buy a 2006 Limited AWD:

1) Besides the rear brakes, are there any other known problems with the 2006 models?

2) Do the FWD models also use the same CVT transmission? Is the FWD a better bet in terms of service and dealer maint. costs?

Thanks!
  • polo3polo3 Posts: 2
    Saabturboid,

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your transmission? My '05 freestyle makes a kind of low pitch droning sound at exactly 2400 rpm. I'm trying to figure out if this is a defect or if thats just how they drive.
  • from polo3: "My '05 freestyle makes a kind of low pitch droning sound at exactly 2400 rpm. I'm trying to figure out if this is a defect or if thats just how they drive. "

I'll drive my '05 Freestyle today to see if it does that. I'll need to watch out for the highway patrol on this stretch of highway I'm about to go on, because 2400 RPM steady is about 80 or 85 mph I think. I know I do about 2000 RPM at 70 mph.

I'd say its probably a structural harmonic resonance in the tires/chassis that you are hearing, just guessing. All vehicles have a certain speed (frequency) that excites a major vibration mode. My specialty a few years ago was mechanical engineering, noise-vibration-harshness (NVH).
  • vrmvrm Posts: 303
    The CVT does have advantages over the 5 and 6 speed transmissions.
    However, it is clear that Ford is not committed to the CVT. As far as I know, they are not using the CVT in any other vehicles.

Compare this with Nissan. They are committed to the CVT and are introducing this in different product lines.
  • polo3 said "My '05 freestyle makes a kind of low pitch droning sound at exactly 2400 rpm. I'm trying to figure out if this is a defect or if thats just how they drive. "

Today, while out and about in my '05 Freestyle, I accelerated 0-60 mph at a steady 2400 RPM, and I also cruised on the freeway (nobody near me) at a stead 2400 RPM. No extra odd sounds of any kind. Usually the kinds of sounds you experience are due to something a little loose, maybe the intake manifold or exhaust manifold, or possibly just imbalanced wheels/tires.
  • vrm said: "However, it is clear that Ford is not committed to the CVT. As far as I know, they are not using the CVT in any other vehicles. "

I've heard the steel belt used in the CVT, from ZF and used in Audi cars as well, was one of the things that drives the cost of the CVT up compared to a 6-speed, and Ford decided to drop it. Also, it seems some people thought the CVT was strange in some way, and trashed it in the media repeatedly. I've read many reviews by magazines and websites in the past few years and most of them have something nasty to say about the CVT. I don't understand that, as the CVT always finds the optimal RPM for the conditions, period. Thats a good thing in my book.
  • Driving down the highway with no other cars near me, my sunroof shattered. It made a very loud noise and looks like a meteor landed on it. No rocks or other objects found in with the glass pieces. Anybody ever heard of this? It was a very cold day, 30 degrees with colder windchill. My mechanic said he has never seen anything like it.
    I believe the Escape Hybrid uses a CVT.
    I'm not sure it the two are related but the full length glass panel in my back door at home suddenly exploded last winter, scared the crap out of me. The fellow at the home center said this sometimes happens. Now, where I'm from 30 degrees is not cold. Last night I went to my Mom's under ground garage to wash my Freestyle, the temp outside was 10 degrees. I used warm water with no affect on the moonroof or windows. I get a little nervous when it's below zero so I wash it with cooler water. In the three years I've been washing once a week in the winter I've never experienced any affect on the glass.
  • Never use an automatic car wash when its cold. I had to replace the windshield in my Freestyle because of that. I heard of others with that problem due to that, too.
  • tim156 said: "I believe the Escape Hybrid uses a CVT. "

I think the Escape hybrid's CVT is a planetary gearset like what the Prius uses. Not at all remotely like the ZF-sourced CVT in the '05-'07 Freestyle and Ford500. A similar ZF brand CVT is used in MiniCoopers and Audi's.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,784
    "I think the Escape hybrid's CVT is a planetary gearset like what the Prius uses. Not at all remotely like the ZF-sourced CVT in the '05-'07 Freestyle and Ford500. A similar ZF brand CVT is used in MiniCoopers and Audi's. "

This is correct. It is needed for the Ford system because the transmission has to put power back into the battery when decelerating, and to spin up the engine to get the ICE going; the Escape Hybrid has no starter motor. This kind of thing is not possible with a conventional CVT.
  • I have a 2005 freestyle and need to do some breakwork on it. Anyone know if there is a haynes manual in existence for that year?? I found a 2006 CD manual on e-bay, but nothing for 2005....
  • No Haynes (or Chilton). I got the Helms official Ford service manual set off Ebay. Recommend doing that.
    I don't use an automatic car wash. It's a hose and bucket operation, the way I like it.
  • Hello,
    We purchased an '06 Limited last week and love it so far. Have a few questions though. Is the chime supposed to sound whenever you open the driver door? This happens even when the key is not in the ignition. It is kind of annoying, is there any way to change this? Also, the cruise control has been turning itself off on the highway occasionally. I didn't find anything in the owner's manual about this. Are there certain road conditions where this will occur?
    Thank you!
  • There is no chime when opening the drivers side door on my '05 SE model.
    The cruise control will turn itself off if it can't hold speed. That is typically very rare, though, like when going up a steep hill.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Maybe your lights are on.
  • Hi folks, just changed the air filter in my "new" 05 Freestyle.....held it up to the sun and the old one (must have been a fram - orange) was a medium white and barely could see thru it. Now my question is, it was fairly hard to get the clips in on the bottom of the filter fox when I put the new one in. Does anybody have an easier way because I don't know honestly how I get it back.

PS - Anybody know where to get those H13 Silverstar Ultra? Advanced Auto parts didnt have them in stock :(
  • I had the same problem, but managed to just undo the top clips and pivot the whole cover back leaving the bottom ones on. You should be able to pivot it enough to get the old one out and slide the new one in.
  • You know what? I didn't even see those clips at the bottom until it was too late. Good idea! The water pump hose is right to the left of the filter box, and obstructs the view a bit from the bottom clips. This one was ALOT less difficult than my 2003 Lesabre, as I had to remove the entire filter assembly from the manifold!
  • @ 40K miles my local Ford dealer tells me I need rear brakes and rotors - again. Hmmm, why wasn't this mentioned @ 35K???

Regardless, I am out of the extended warranty period and have had it with these obviously inferior parts. I know some of you have gone aftermarket and was wondering what you found to work best and more importantly, what to avoid. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Curtis
  • My dad has 05 500....over 110k on the rear brakes - he went to Firestone.
  • curtis63, Are you saying you only got 5,000 miles on the new rear brake pads? If thats the case, maybe the rear brakes are dragging. Even the worst pads in the world on the rear should get 20,000 miles minimum. With a rear wheel off the ground, it should rotate freely (car in neutral, chocks on all wheels, level ground, safety precautions met). Thats for front wheel drive models only. The AWD differential in back will interfere with this method. Also, you get a second opinion at a brake shop.

I've at great luck with Duralast (Autozone) pads on the front, and the recall Motorcraft pads are on the rear. No problems here.
  • No, no, no. I am only saying they could have pointed out a problem 5K miles ago so it would have been covered under the extended warratny. My rear pads and rotors were done @ 21K and now need it again @ 40K. This is a load of cr@p. Rear brakes should not go t!ts up this quickly. The front pads are still golden - I drive very smoothly with mainly highway driving.

I am looking for aftermarket alternatives for rotors and pads to try and combat this problem. If it is an overall brake design flaw and has nothing to do with materials I will buy the cheapest pads and Chinese rotors I can find. In reality, I am hoping to put good quality parts on and forget about it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

CC