Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sindersinder Posts: 37
    Ummm Stevedebi ????

You SOLD your FS before anything happened to it, so you haven't a clue on what it's like to a) get parts for it b) get ANYONE to work on an existing one c) have to pay over 5K for a remanned one from FORD because nobody else will touch them.

That, is CORNERING THE MARKET....... There are even FORD dealers that won't work on the damn things.

I called EVERY transmission ship in a tri-county area. NOT ONE shop will touch this CVT transmission. They all have the very SAME negative comments to say about it. Quite similar to the Saturn IVT......which btw is a "type of" CVT....and Saturn LOST in a class action lawsuit addressing the transmission.

If there " simply aren't enough ZF CVT units out there to make it profitable" (your quote) , where are the parts coming from, Stevedebi ???? There are people on this forum that have waited 5-6 weeks for a parts.

How does somebody that did NOT have a problem with this transmission and SOLD thier vehicle, chime and and tell ALL of us that are out thousand and thousands of dollars, that we just suffered a little bad luck. Give me a break. :lemon: It is what it is.....
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,792
    "If there " simply aren't enough ZF CVT units out there to make it profitable" (your quote) , where are the parts coming from, Stevedebi ???? There are people on this forum that have waited 5-6 weeks for a parts. "

I probably wasn't clear on the statement. The parts are coming from Europe. But there are not enough Ford ZF transmissions (i.e., 2005-2007 Freestyle and Ford 500) on the road to make it profitable for an independent transmission shop to get set up to fix them.

I agree that Ford should have allowed for more spares. It would be interesting for people to indicate their manufacture date; perhaps there is a correlation in dates and failures.

I didn't like the "cornering the market" phrase because it implies that Ford is intentionally restricting the market. That is illegal and is not the case. The people with problems got a bad transmission, and (again) there just weren't that many of them produced in those three years; they are uncommon.

This is different from the Saturn problem, in which case the transmission design was defective. I think it is in production that the Ford CVT problems occurred, rather than design.

I am sorry for your troubles, and it would bother me too if it had happened, although my FS was a lease and I had the extended warranty added so that it would finish the lease while under warranty. But I tend to do that with all my leases; it wasn't because of any particular FS part or concern.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    It makes sense to me that the cost of repairing a FS CVT transmission will cost more because there are less of them out there and you'll probably be restricted to a dealer.

That being said, the cost of replacing ANY transmission on a vehicle of this size will probably be a few thousand dollars, so if I need to replace my CVT, I'll end up paying an extra $1000 in comparison to a non-CVT.

However, if I'd have driven a 7 passenger vehicle (eg minivan or SUV) with a normal transmission, I'd probably average about 18-19mpg. With my Freestyle after over nearly 80,000 miles my average has been 22-23mpg. It rarely goes under 20mpg and on long road trips I'll get 25-27mpg. So if I would have owned another SUV or minivan, after 80,000 miles at 18mpg at $2.5/gal, I'd have spent $11,111 in gas, and with my FS at 22mpg at $2.5/gal I spent $9,091. That's a savings of $2020 for me.

So at least in my case, if my transmission ever does need replacing (so far no problems other than a Transmission Control Module replaced under the emissions warranty) and costs me $1000 more than a normal transmission, at least I'll know I've already saved twice that amount in gas.

No I won't be happy about replacing the transmission (or making any other repair) but I have to look at the total cost of ownership and not just a single repair.

For those of you that have had multiple transmission repairs/replacements I agree, that does really stink, as does it stink for anyone with any car that has multiple problems. I've read many other car forums here on Edmunds (Freestar transmission, Odyssey, transmission, Suburban transmission, Ram transmission, Lexus RX 300 transmission) and every car out there as similar stories with a few folks who have a lot of problems and then a bunch of other folks saying they’re not having any problems...the Freestyle is no different, and the owners of those other vehicles are just as irate as those here.
  • Bob, you are my kind of guy. That's exactly how I would look at things too. Plus, the difference in price paid for my Freestyle versus the higher price I would have paid for a comparable model of a competing brand.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,664
    did you ever look into replacing the hitch bar with a 2 inch version?
    i am assuming the current one can be unbolted and a larger one can replace it.
    try etrailer dot com.
  • How do you remove the rear bench (fold up) seat permantly in a Ford Freestyle 2005?
  • asa203asa203 Posts: 10
    Your fuel estimates are flawed. I drive a Freestyle AWD and My wife drives Honda Oddysey EXL. The best gas mileage I have ever gotten on the Freesystyle is 23.5. We have gotten 27.5 on the Oddysey more than once. Both of these vehicles have complaints about transmission failures, but so far we have been ok. I would not be happy to pay 5K for a tranny repair on any kind of vehicle.
    My mileage runs like yours, asa203. The best I have EVER fot was 23.5 as well.

Now here's the "kicker" on the transmission. $5500 to have a "remanned" one installed.
    HOWEVER ::::::: FORD provides a 3 year 100K mile warranty on the REMANNED one ! Does anyone else find this just a bit odd ?

Any particular reason they wouldn't offer that on a brand new one???? :confuse:
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,792
    "My mileage runs like yours, asa203. The best I have EVER fot was 23.5 as well.

Now here's the "kicker" on the transmission. $5500 to have a "remanned" one installed.
    HOWEVER ::::::: FORD provides a 3 year 100K mile warranty on the REMANNED one ! Does anyone else find this just a bit odd ?

Any particular reason they wouldn't offer that on a brand new one???? "

The maximum I ever got was 27 on my 2006 SEL, at 70 MPH.

I think they don't have new ones because the transmission is no longer manufactured. They have to remanufacture them.
  • import32import32 Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    We bought our '07 FreestyleSEL used and it's now time to replace the tires (the Conti's made it to 56K miles). We now live in Chicago, so have to deal with snow & ice and I sometimes tow a very light sailboat/trailer (400 lbs approx) I've been reading the discussions and see that the general rec. is to go to 225/65/17's from the OEM 215. Hate to admit it, but being a 'chick' I'm not used to evaluating these kind of products, so I wanted to know if your recomendations from earlier last year still stand or if getting the Michelin Hydroedge at Costco is a good decision. I appreciate your input & now I'll get back to territory I'm more familiar with - helping my freshman twin girls find dresses for an upcoming dance! (-: ;)
  • I replaced mine after 50K with the orignal size 215s. I ended up buying Yokohama AVID TRZs. Good price and good ratings. They did great here in Maryland over the last week and two blizzards. Very confidence inspiring. here is some mroe info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Ford&au- toYear=2005&autoModel=Freestyle&autoModClar=&width=215/&ratio=65&diameter=17&sor- tCode=49581&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=S&minLoadRating=S&tab=All

As for the dresses for the dance - I recommend royal blue dresses :)
  • You can add +1 MPG by simply switching to the new Goodyear Fuel Max new tread compound tires....

I've been running Pirelli Scorpion high speed snow tires year around capable, and really love them.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    My fuel estimates are not flawed. For one thing, you're comparing your AWD Freestyle with your FWD Odyssey. Also, according to fueleconomy.gov, the average '05 Freestyle FWD owner gets 21.4mpg as compared to an '05 Odyssey owner getting 19.3mpg, which means that the Freestyle driver is getting about 10% better mpg. For me personally I average about 23mpg getting 26-27mpg on long road trips.

Additionally the initial purchase cost of a Freestyle was a lot less than an Odyssey a my time of purchase, so that's another savings.

I do agree that no-one wants any big repair costs.
  • madinpamadinpa Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Freestyle and it had unintended acceleration and stalling. I have three little kids, the car accelerating while my foot was not on the gas in the driveway is a major safety problem. There is a national backorder on the part, implying that it is a nationwide problem and it is definitely a safety issue. WHY is it not a recall? The car is only 4 years old -- not even paid for yet!
  • curtisc63curtisc63 Posts: 10
    A backordered part does not necessarily mean there is a huge demand for the part. It could also indicate that there are very few problems with them and they do not keep a large inventory. Regardless, if what you state is true it is a safety issue and needs to be addressed. I am sure all of the auto manufacturers are on edge after the Toyota debacle and if there is a systemic problem it will be identified and announced quickly. I have had my 05 FWD SEL since new and have never had any indication of such a problem. But that does not matter. What is important is getting your car's issue addressed as quickly as possible to insure the safety of you and your family.
    Better have the transmission checked as well.

Most definately a problem with these CVT transmissions in the 05-07 Freestyles. You cannot get a new transmission because they no longer make them. ( I know, shocking, right ?)

I have been having this discussion/argument about these transmissions for almost a year. Mine did NOT accelerate at all, as I was in the middle of a very busy intersection. Damn near got me killed. I had to cut off the engine, turn it back on, drop it into gear and then it BOLTED me across the road. Nice, huh?

Oh...I hate to add insult to an "almost injury" but be prepared to get your checkbook out. My "remanned" tranny plus installation was $5,500. :mad:

I called FORD, wrote to FORD..... nobody seems to care. :lemon:
  • mrachedimrachedi Posts: 6
    All problems are stored in your car computer and dealer can do diagnostic to check any saved errors. We had wrench dash symbol come on (73,198 miles) three times two weeks ago Fri, and were going out of town 7/1 to Phoenix.

Have seen lot of postings saying wrench light and check transmission light most were for throttle body replacement. Told parts on back order but dealer found part and replaced throttle body same day. Have extended warranty and cost was deductible of $50.

You should take to dealer and have diagnostics ran on memory of computer. Should find problem and fix under your "new car" warranty.
  • mrachedimrachedi Posts: 6
    All problems are stored in your car computer and dealer can do diaognostic to check any saved errors. We had wrench dash symbol come on (73,198 milles) three times two weeks ago Fri, and were going out of town 7/1 to Phoenix.

Have seen lot of postings saying wrench light and check transmission light most were for throttle body replacement. Told parts on back order but dealer found part and replaced throttle body same day. Have extended warrenty and cost was deductible of $50.

You should take to dealer and have diaognosits ran on memory of computer. Should find problem and fix under your "new car" warranty.
  • kieracmkieracm Posts: 5
    I purchased a brand new 2007 ford freestyle and now after 72,000 miles and many other problems that I had to fix on my own because I didn't purchase the warranty, I had to take it today to the dealership because of the Throttle Body that needs to be replaced. This will cost me about $1,000.00. My car is accelerating on it's own, the wrench light comes on after the acceleration, and I loose power all together. I am forced to shut off the vehicle, wait a couple of minutes and start the car back on. Just imagine this situation on a busy highway...

The only way we can make sure the dealer fixes this problem is to call the Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 1-888-327-4236 and file a complaint. After they review the complaint they have the authority to request that the Dealer issues a recall and fix the issues. I just did this myself and it took me about 20 minutes, however, a case number was sent to me immediately. If we all take 20 minutes of our time, we can have Ford fix these problems and who knows? maybe even save somebody's life...
  • aishac7aishac7 Posts: 5
    I am SO glad you posted this problem! I am having the same issue with my '06 Freestyle accelerating and stalling on its own. I have taken it to Ford service on three occasions and they have not been able to detect a problem. I have brought 2 different Ford technicians into the car and they felt the surges, but no error codes come up on their computers. I'm completely frustrated, as I also have kids whose safety is at risk. I'm taking the car back tomorrow with a copy of your message for them to see. Maybe my throttle body (whatever that is :-) needs repair as well.

Again, thanks for posting.
  • danallandanallan Posts: 30
    I had a similar acceleration problem. Car would really want to jump on me at times. Had to really stand on the brakes one time...scary.

Turns out it needed a fuel induction service. Service guy said should be done every 60k. Cleaned what they needed to clean and the car runs perfectly again. I have 81k on my 2007 now and it runs just as good as the day I bought it.

Just finished a 4,250mile tour of middle America and the car was flawless.
    And I still get 21mpg combined, 26 mpg at 70 mph....couldn't be happier
  • lcjesselcjesse Posts: 30
    very useful information. I am taking my car in for service tomorrow as i have been having this problem increasingly more this summer (it started last summer). My biggest concern is that my 15 year old son is driving this car with me a lot and it makes me really nervous. I have noticed that my problem is worse when the following conditions exist at the same time 1) the engine is warm, 2) the air conditioner is on, 3) i am at a complete stop with the brakes applied and 4) i turn the steering wheel left or right. I am learning to always either slightly release the brake before i turn the wheel and it seems to help, or turn off the A/C before pulling into or out of a parking space. Would love to get to 81K with this car
    Sounds just like my problem...air on was when it would really act up. Should cost around $300 or so. Let us know if you have the same solution as I did.
    Also, it was explained to me that the engine was getting "gummed up" (my technical term) and then the computer would think there wasn't enough gas getting to where it was needed, so it pushed a lot more in and the engine has no choice but to rev up, all the while I was hitting the brakes to stop the car.
    Those are the exact conditions that cause the problem with my '06 Freestyle with less than 44,000 miles on it. They also prevent the service technicians from "duplicating the problem" when they service the vehicle. I dropped it off again to Ford Service this morning and explained how I have found multiple people having the same problem with this car. I was told that just because others are having this issue doesn't mean that it is the same issue I have. I beg to differ. I have sent an email to Ford's national headquarters, as well as to the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If my car is not repaired to my satisfaction, my next stop is the media. I almost hit the gas attendant when my car accelerated. Completely unacceptable. And unnecessary.
    just got the call today from the dealership telling us we needed a new throttle body
    ($600),plus $500 for labor. They would try order 1 but it was on "backorder". At first we told them to order but once i got my husband to read up on Fuel induction service, we are called them back to hold off on part (as we would have to pay for it if it arrived but we decided we did not want it.) Will take it somewhere else later in the week. In the meantime, i'll turn the AC off and get my car slightly rolling BEFORE or turning steering wheel in parking situations. This is a HUGE safety concern and a BIG disappointment for me as this is my 1st Ford.
    I'll keep you posted.
    upon driving my car home after getting it evaluated, it is worse now than it was. It is idling at a lower RPM (400-500) and fluctating constantly (even with the A/C off) and is trying to die when in come to a cpmplete stop. Now even turning A/C off when stopping to make a turn is not sufficient. I cannot trust this car to get me safely anywhere now. My husband is out test driving it just to make sure I am not crazy (i will likely be before this is over)
    My car was worse when I drove it home from being "serviced" as well. I finally got somewhere after contacting Ford Motor Company via email on their site. I explained the problem I was having with the car accelerating on its own and mentioned I found several other Freestyle owners with the same concern. Two days later, the service guys ordered the throttle body (which is on backorder until August 7th) and gave me a service loaner.
    i am glad to hear that you have a part coming and i hope it fixes your problem. I filed a complaint with NHTSA on line and also wrote to Ford Customer Relations explaining my frustrations and suggested that loaner car would be nice sine mine is "not safe to drive" and the part is not available and i am still making payments. I got a response from them assuring me they would be in contact with the dealer and would expedite the part (not sure from where) and that i would be hearing from someone w/in 2 days. I am taking my car to another mechanic shop tomorrow and getting the fuel induction service done that another owner recommended. I figure it can't hurt and wouldn't it be wonderful it it fixed it for only $200 as opposed to $700+ from the dealership. I highyl encourage all owners having this problem contact Ford directly. Keep us posted on what happens to your vehicle after you get the new throttle body.