Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• vrm said: "However, it is clear that Ford is not committed to the CVT. As far as I know, they are not using the CVT in any other vehicles. "

I've heard the steel belt used in the CVT, from ZF and used in Audi cars as well, was one of the things that drives the cost of the CVT up compared to a 6-speed, and Ford decided to drop it. Also, it seems some people thought the CVT was strange in some way, and trashed it in the media repeatedly. I've read many reviews by magazines and websites in the past few years and most of them have something nasty to say about the CVT. I don't understand that, as the CVT always finds the optimal RPM for the conditions, period. Thats a good thing in my book.
  • Driving down the highway with no other cars near me, my sunroof shattered. It made a very loud noise and looks like a meteor landed on it. No rocks or other objects found in with the glass pieces. Anybody ever heard of this? It was a very cold day, 30 degrees with colder windchill. My mechanic said he has never seen anything like it.
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    I believe the Escape Hybrid uses a CVT.
    I'm not sure it the two are related but the full length glass panel in my back door at home suddenly exploded last winter, scared the crap out of me. The fellow at the home center said this sometimes happens. Now, where I'm from 30 degrees is not cold. Last night I went to my Mom's under ground garage to wash my Freestyle, the temp outside was 10 degrees. I used warm water with no affect on the moonroof or windows. I get a little nervous when it's below zero so I wash it with cooler water. In the three years I've been washing once a week in the winter I've never experienced any affect on the glass.
  • Never use an automatic car wash when its cold. I had to replace the windshield in my Freestyle because of that. I heard of others with that problem due to that, too.
  • tim156 said: "I believe the Escape Hybrid uses a CVT. "

I think the Escape hybrid's CVT is a planetary gearset like what the Prius uses. Not at all remotely like the ZF-sourced CVT in the '05-'07 Freestyle and Ford500. A similar ZF brand CVT is used in MiniCoopers and Audi's.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,732
    "I think the Escape hybrid's CVT is a planetary gearset like what the Prius uses. Not at all remotely like the ZF-sourced CVT in the '05-'07 Freestyle and Ford500. A similar ZF brand CVT is used in MiniCoopers and Audi's. "

This is correct. It is needed for the Ford system because the transmission has to put power back into the battery when decelerating, and to spin up the engine to get the ICE going; the Escape Hybrid has no starter motor. This kind of thing is not possible with a conventional CVT.
  • I have a 2005 freestyle and need to do some breakwork on it. Anyone know if there is a haynes manual in existence for that year?? I found a 2006 CD manual on e-bay, but nothing for 2005....
  • No Haynes (or Chilton). I got the Helms official Ford service manual set off Ebay. Recommend doing that.
    I don't use an automatic car wash. It's a hose and bucket operation, the way I like it.
  • Hello,
    We purchased an '06 Limited last week and love it so far. Have a few questions though. Is the chime supposed to sound whenever you open the driver door? This happens even when the key is not in the ignition. It is kind of annoying, is there any way to change this? Also, the cruise control has been turning itself off on the highway occasionally. I didn't find anything in the owner's manual about this. Are there certain road conditions where this will occur?
    Thank you!
  • There is no chime when opening the drivers side door on my '05 SE model.
    The cruise control will turn itself off if it can't hold speed. That is typically very rare, though, like when going up a steep hill.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Maybe your lights are on.
  • Hi folks, just changed the air filter in my "new" 05 Freestyle.....held it up to the sun and the old one (must have been a fram - orange) was a medium white and barely could see thru it. Now my question is, it was fairly hard to get the clips in on the bottom of the filter fox when I put the new one in. Does anybody have an easier way because I don't know honestly how I get it back.

PS - Anybody know where to get those H13 Silverstar Ultra? Advanced Auto parts didnt have them in stock :(
  • I had the same problem, but managed to just undo the top clips and pivot the whole cover back leaving the bottom ones on. You should be able to pivot it enough to get the old one out and slide the new one in.
  • You know what? I didn't even see those clips at the bottom until it was too late. Good idea! The water pump hose is right to the left of the filter box, and obstructs the view a bit from the bottom clips. This one was ALOT less difficult than my 2003 Lesabre, as I had to remove the entire filter assembly from the manifold!
  • @ 40K miles my local Ford dealer tells me I need rear brakes and rotors - again. Hmmm, why wasn't this mentioned @ 35K???

Regardless, I am out of the extended warranty period and have had it with these obviously inferior parts. I know some of you have gone aftermarket and was wondering what you found to work best and more importantly, what to avoid. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Curtis
  • My dad has 05 500....over 110k on the rear brakes - he went to Firestone.
  • curtis63, Are you saying you only got 5,000 miles on the new rear brake pads? If thats the case, maybe the rear brakes are dragging. Even the worst pads in the world on the rear should get 20,000 miles minimum. With a rear wheel off the ground, it should rotate freely (car in neutral, chocks on all wheels, level ground, safety precautions met). Thats for front wheel drive models only. The AWD differential in back will interfere with this method. Also, you get a second opinion at a brake shop.

I've at great luck with Duralast (Autozone) pads on the front, and the recall Motorcraft pads are on the rear. No problems here.
  • No, no, no. I am only saying they could have pointed out a problem 5K miles ago so it would have been covered under the extended warratny. My rear pads and rotors were done @ 21K and now need it again @ 40K. This is a load of cr@p. Rear brakes should not go t!ts up this quickly. The front pads are still golden - I drive very smoothly with mainly highway driving.

I am looking for aftermarket alternatives for rotors and pads to try and combat this problem. If it is an overall brake design flaw and has nothing to do with materials I will buy the cheapest pads and Chinese rotors I can find. In reality, I am hoping to put good quality parts on and forget about it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

CC