Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• danallandanallan Posts: 30
    I had a similar acceleration problem. Car would really want to jump on me at times. Had to really stand on the brakes one time...scary.

Turns out it needed a fuel induction service. Service guy said should be done every 60k. Cleaned what they needed to clean and the car runs perfectly again. I have 81k on my 2007 now and it runs just as good as the day I bought it.

Just finished a 4,250mile tour of middle America and the car was flawless.
    And I still get 21mpg combined, 26 mpg at 70 mph....couldn't be happier
  • lcjesselcjesse Posts: 30
    very useful information. I am taking my car in for service tomorrow as i have been having this problem increasingly more this summer (it started last summer). My biggest concern is that my 15 year old son is driving this car with me a lot and it makes me really nervous. I have noticed that my problem is worse when the following conditions exist at the same time 1) the engine is warm, 2) the air conditioner is on, 3) i am at a complete stop with the brakes applied and 4) i turn the steering wheel left or right. I am learning to always either slightly release the brake before i turn the wheel and it seems to help, or turn off the A/C before pulling into or out of a parking space. Would love to get to 81K with this car
    Sounds just like my problem...air on was when it would really act up. Should cost around $300 or so. Let us know if you have the same solution as I did.
    Also, it was explained to me that the engine was getting "gummed up" (my technical term) and then the computer would think there wasn't enough gas getting to where it was needed, so it pushed a lot more in and the engine has no choice but to rev up, all the while I was hitting the brakes to stop the car.
  • aishac7aishac7 Posts: 5
    Those are the exact conditions that cause the problem with my '06 Freestyle with less than 44,000 miles on it. They also prevent the service technicians from "duplicating the problem" when they service the vehicle. I dropped it off again to Ford Service this morning and explained how I have found multiple people having the same problem with this car. I was told that just because others are having this issue doesn't mean that it is the same issue I have. I beg to differ. I have sent an email to Ford's national headquarters, as well as to the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If my car is not repaired to my satisfaction, my next stop is the media. I almost hit the gas attendant when my car accelerated. Completely unacceptable. And unnecessary.
    just got the call today from the dealership telling us we needed a new throttle body
    ($600),plus $500 for labor. They would try order 1 but it was on "backorder". At first we told them to order but once i got my husband to read up on Fuel induction service, we are called them back to hold off on part (as we would have to pay for it if it arrived but we decided we did not want it.) Will take it somewhere else later in the week. In the meantime, i'll turn the AC off and get my car slightly rolling BEFORE or turning steering wheel in parking situations. This is a HUGE safety concern and a BIG disappointment for me as this is my 1st Ford.
    I'll keep you posted.
    upon driving my car home after getting it evaluated, it is worse now than it was. It is idling at a lower RPM (400-500) and fluctating constantly (even with the A/C off) and is trying to die when in come to a cpmplete stop. Now even turning A/C off when stopping to make a turn is not sufficient. I cannot trust this car to get me safely anywhere now. My husband is out test driving it just to make sure I am not crazy (i will likely be before this is over)
    My car was worse when I drove it home from being "serviced" as well. I finally got somewhere after contacting Ford Motor Company via email on their site. I explained the problem I was having with the car accelerating on its own and mentioned I found several other Freestyle owners with the same concern. Two days later, the service guys ordered the throttle body (which is on backorder until August 7th) and gave me a service loaner.
    i am glad to hear that you have a part coming and i hope it fixes your problem. I filed a complaint with NHTSA on line and also wrote to Ford Customer Relations explaining my frustrations and suggested that loaner car would be nice sine mine is "not safe to drive" and the part is not available and i am still making payments. I got a response from them assuring me they would be in contact with the dealer and would expedite the part (not sure from where) and that i would be hearing from someone w/in 2 days. I am taking my car to another mechanic shop tomorrow and getting the fuel induction service done that another owner recommended. I figure it can't hurt and wouldn't it be wonderful it it fixed it for only $200 as opposed to $700+ from the dealership. I highyl encourage all owners having this problem contact Ford directly. Keep us posted on what happens to your vehicle after you get the new throttle body.
    Got the call for the shop today with "good news". With what we had discussed when i took it in he said he skipped over all of the diagnostics to keep from running up a tab and went straight to doing the FUEL INDUCTION service. He said something to the effect that there was some air flow part ( over my head) that was REALLY dirty and with that cleaned out it is running great. It cost me $125. This is the exact experience that danallan had. I have yet to pick up my car today but am so excited about the possibility that if is fixed that i wanted to share.
    THANKS YOU very much. I just had this done and think it fixed it.
    You are welcome. Not that I did anything.....

That's what makes these forums so important to follow. I am bummed only because you paid about half as much as I did......I'll put that down to a more extensive cleaning on my car....not that I would know either way....good news
  • angel_76angel_76 Posts: 3
    We just bought an '06 Freestyle back in April, have only had it for 3 months, and our car did the same thing. We were about 160 miles from home, to pick up my 84 year old grandmother. Stopped by the Sonic to grab something to eat, left the car running with the AC on b/c it was so hot outside, my husband put the car in reverse, and it surged backwards. The little wrench light came on. It went into limp mode, we limped to a Ford Dealership in Ft. Smith, AR, they ran a diagnostic on it, told us it was the electronic throttle body, but had no idea when they could get a part. They reset the computer, we made it back to Hot Springs, AR without any further problems. My husband went the local dealer where we bought the car, and the service managers, told him yes they were aware of the issue. We called Ford Motor Co. to file a complaint about the car, they said we had to have a diagnostic reading from the dealership we bought it from. So we have to wait for the car to mess up again, and get another reading, and pay yet another $87.00 for it...ugh. So we contacted the Attorney Generals office to file a complaint, they told us to fill out the online paperwork, and send them copies of our receipt from the dealer in Ft. Smith, and everything that we have read about the issue, this includes everything on this site. We also filed a complaint with Nat'l Safety transportation ppl. So if you are having an issue like this our suggestion is to also file a complaint with the Attorney Generals office.
  • angel_76angel_76 Posts: 3
    have an '06 freestyle, having the same problem, we contacted NHTSA, Ford Motor Co, and now have a call into the Attorney Generals office.
    are you still having problems? i would strongly suggest finding someone to do Fuel Induction Service on the car. It really worked on mine (though it has only been a day). Danallan had this done and it worked for him (30K miles since w/o problems). Others have reported problem being fixed by cleaning the throttle body themselves, however, i believe that the Fuel Indcution service is a much more deep cleaning of the system
  • I am having the same problems that you have been regarding the throttle body. The car i jumping backwards when my foot is on the brake and it is in reverse. The dealer told me he never heard of such a thing and that he has never seen a problem with the Ford Freestyle. I am on my potential second throttle body. The dealer told me he could do nothing for me. He told me to contact Ford which I did and they said they could do nothing and have never heard of this. Today in line at the bank the car jumped forward. I then seem to see the engine revving when in park with the ac running. I believe this is a safety issue. Before somebody gets hurt as in the toyota situation we should file a class action law suit.
    WHAT DO ALL OF YOU THINK WITH THE SAME PROBLEM?
  • You are describing my problem exactly Lets contact the National SAFETY BOARD BEFORE SOMEBODY GET HURT IN AN ACCIDENT
    i have filed a complaint with the NHTSA and am going to follow up and tell then how (so far) just having the Fuel Induction (cleaning) service has seemed to fix it.
    I SERIOUSLY urge you to find a shop in your area that does Fuel Induction service and get it done BEFORE you do have an accident. Mine got worse when i had my A/C compressor replaced ( wonder if the guncked up fuel system air flow system is not what made my A/C go out.) It costs about about $125-150 and i am amazed at how much better my cars runs in general and NO lurching. My Ford dealer called yesterday to say that they had the throttle body in now. We told them that we did not need it as this fuel system cleaning seems to have fixed the problem.
    I am also going to follow up with Ford Customer Care ( i wrote them earlier trying to alert them to the problem as well) and recommend that they should be advising their dealers to take this Fuel system cleaning approach 1st before replacing the throttle body. It makes sense that the diagnostic system would indicate at throttle body failure if the throttle body is not getting enough of what it needs to work and thus is having to work harder.
    Glad the fuel system cleaning worked for you. My car still sits at the Ford service center awaiting a throttle body (still driving the service loaner). If it doesn't work, I'll suggest the fuel system cleaning. I also followed up with Ford Customer Care suggesting that a note should pop up on the service center computer when customers complain about their Freestyle surging. Customers shouldn't have to go back and forth with the service guys until we think to google the problem which leads us to this site.