Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Freestyle Real World MPG

1141516171820»

Comments

• heltonhelton Posts: 56
    The mileage on these cars is all over the chart. Some owners claim fantastic MPG and others get very poor performance. I own an 06 and one time, and one time only, I got 27 MPG on the highway by driving 60-65 MPH with no AC and no passengers. I usually get around 21 MPG driving at the speed limit with a passenger or two and the AC on. Local driving gets me between 16-18 MPG. My opinion is that some FreeStyles are better made than others. I think that translates to poor quality control by Ford.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "The mileage on these cars is all over the chart. Some owners claim fantastic MPG and others get very poor performance. I own an 06 and one time, and one time only, I got 27 MPG on the highway by driving 60-65 MPH with no AC and no passengers. I usually get around 21 MPG driving at the speed limit with a passenger or two and the AC on. Local driving gets me between 16-18 MPG. My opinion is that some FreeStyles are better made than others. I think that translates to poor quality control by Ford. "

I don't think it is quality control. There are simply a lot of variables. Keep the extra weight out of the car (which I did not do), keep the tires at or above 35 PSI, go very easy on the acceleration, use of the "fake shift" (remove foot from pedal at intervals while accelerating), and try not to speed to lights, but rather time the lights so that you don't have to stop. The huge MPG hit is in accelerating.

Also, winter is bad for MPG on any vehicle. I live in SoCal, so it is relatively warm here.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I owned a Freestyle for 5 years for 85,000 miles and go in the mid-20s mpg HWY and low 20's MPG suburb, and in the high teens during winter driving in the suburbs. I agree that keeping the revs down by letting off the gas momentarily while accelerating helps, as does using cruise control on the highways.

If you read these forums, you'll find that ALL cars have folks posting really low and really high MPG, not just the Freestyle. One reason is due to driver differences, and the other is due to mechanical variations in each car, so this is nothing unique with the Freestyle.
  • dbrickerdbricker Posts: 1
    Bought a 2005 a couple weeks ago.
    1st tank of fuel 24.3 mpg
    did an air filter change (was very dirty) pumped up the tire pressure to 44psi and learned to keep the foot out of the pedal.
    2nd tank of fuel 27.55 mpg
    Combo of city 35% and highway 65%
    So what’s your point, BobW? This part of the forum is about “Ford Freestyle Real World MPG” and almost 400 people, including you, have had something to say about the subject. Maybe there is nothing unique about the Freestyle gas mileage, but lots of folks want to talk about it because they own a Freestyle. It sounds like you would rather that people not write about their experience. Maybe it would be better if you didn’t read this part of the forum.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    edited June 2011
    My point is that wide mpg variance isn't specific with the Freestyle. There are reasons for it that can be both mechanical and human. It's not a unique Ford "poor quality control issue" as suggested, if so, then that claim could be made on all vehicles.
    My car has a window sticker that says, “Built with Pride, UAW/Ford, Quality is Job #1”. What a joke this is. The car came from the factory with mismatched outside door handles – three were black and one was painted the color of the car. I found a wadded up parts list stuffed behind the manifold just before it ignited. The middle seat mechanism had to be replaced because the seat back could not be lowered. The plastic trim parts on the interior are always falling off.

We just returned from a round trip between Kentucky and Washington state. The MPG ranged from 21 to 28 on the same terrain and driving style. Yes, I do believe there was a quality control problem with the Freestyle. Maybe that is why they don’t make them anymore
  • haulthault Posts: 122
    I have a 2005 FWD since new. Had the usual brake,tire wear problems until I changed to ceramic pads. MPG was 19/22. Then this year I switched to Castrol Edge 5w30 and saw a 1 mpg improvement over other synthetic oils. Then I switched from Goodyear Triple treads which wore out fast (40,000 miles) to Michelin Energy savers and now get 20/24. I drive 70-75 on freeway, but use good mpg tactics in city driving.