Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Freestyle Real World MPG

Comments

• Options
    vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    I am getting about 14 or less (currently 13.5) driving in the city. The highway can get up to 30 MPG.
    I think that this advice on how slow you have to drive should stop. We all heard how you are supposed to drive. And indeed it makes a difference. If I drive aggressive I get 12 MPG.
    So please stop trying to find reasons in the driving style (not that there are not) in the driving style. 12 MPG is way off. Even 14 is ridiculous. Some of these cars have a problem and because the service departments do not know what to do about it, it does not mean that we should take it.
    My first trip - yes with the car not broken in - was at 70 Mph for about 1000 miles - 12 MPG. I was livid! I was told to shut up and keep driving until I drove 5000 miles. Nothing changed. Who's paying for the gas?
    And yes, congratulations to all of you with a freestyle that gets good mileage! I envy you!
  • Options
    coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    There could be one solution to bad gas mileage. See if the dealership will load new, updated software ("re-flash" is the jargon) into your engine computer. There should be an updated software set available. The supposition is that Ford may have a better way to handle the CVT in combination with the engine. Also, I'm suspecting the CVT has internal belt-tensioner control algorithms that may be updated via the new re-flash. Very speculative, but could be something there. Physics say something is dragging the engine and/or tranny down when bad gas mileage is happening.
  • Options
    volfangaryvolfangary Member Posts: 105
    I would check the brakes to make sure they are not dragging. I had a new Windstar van that the brakes were not releasing correctly and my mpg was super low compared to everyone else. Dealer never found the problem during 3 trips into service, but on 4th trip when I had tires rotated they noticed pads were worn down a lot more than they should have been at the time. Might not hurt to have the brakes inspected.
  • Options
    indybellindybell Member Posts: 40
    I've been keeping a log of every drop of gas I've put in our Freestyle AWD since the odometer read 2746.6 and I felt it was sufficiently broken in and could start recording gas mileage. 14635.9 miles later and 715.77 gallons of regular pumped into the tank results in an average mpg of 20.448. Those figures were from June 3, 05 to the present.

Which means absolutely nothing in any comparison to your vehicle since you don't know where and how I drive. I will tell you that I'm a guy who drives like gas is $2.50 a gallon - 'cause it is most of the time - and I like to hang onto the bucks in my wallet and I don't treat the gas pedal like an on/off switch. (Oh, the cheapest gas I bought was 187.9 during that period. The most expensive was 306.9 back in Sept 2, 05.)

We live in south central Indiana and this vehicle is primarily used to cart my kid to school and back 25.6 miles from our home. So, basically we're putting 50+ miles on it daily. There are 5 lights in the first 5 or so miles and another 6 in the last 5 or so but the bulk of the driving is on an open 4 lane state highway. I really don't consider the two end legs "city" driving since the lights are so far apart. The open portion of the highway has several long grades where the engine is forced to rev to 2300 to keep it at 60 mph. Normally it hums along at 1800 rpms or so.

So I see 20 1/2 mpg most often doing that day in and day out. I don't consider that abnormally good or bad and I don't think there is anything wrong with the vehicle. If we swapped vehicles and yours was an AWD that's about what I'd expect yours to get too. In fact, that figure is exactly the number you get when you do the math and combine the 24 highway and 19 city. The trouble is that I don't really consider that trip to be a half highway/city drive with the lights so far apart and the town so small at either end.

I will tell you that I have seen some pretty good numbers when I've driven on a prefectly flat interstate highway, no wind, 70 degree day at 65 MPH. Got 28.4. ONCE!!! And, that was obtained by resetting the info center while on the road and driving 100 or so miles under those conditions. I've also gotten really crummy mileage driving around my very hilly hometown in western PA for a week or so. 12 - 13 mpg comes to mind and that number only improved when I got out on the open highway to help improve the numbers. But that was only a one time incident too.

I guess the bottom line is to take numbers you see posted about gas mileage with a grain of salt. For me, I don't want to know what high number you've seen (maybe only once) on a vacation trip, I want to know what you see every time you get gas and check the info center or keep an actual log as I do. That's the number I would think most of us want to hear because it's a better indicator of whether the mileage we see in ours is "normal" or not. And even that number is gonn'a be "iffy" because I don't know where or how you drive.

In my mind, if you can keep your RPM's below 2000 while on the highway and limit your traffic stops you should see some fairly decent MPG numbers. Not great but good for a 4000 pound vehicle. If you are constantly in stop-and-go traffic situations (or have a heavy foot) your mileage will suffer. I wouldn't, for example, have this vehicle if I lived in my hometown in PA nor would I consider it for a commuter in Chicago.
  • Options
    minaldo1minaldo1 Member Posts: 18
    AS previous posters have stated, the vast differences in mpg for this vehicle can not be explained by driving habits alone. The fact is, despite what a wonderful driver you think you are, you're not 8 mpg more efficient than other people - assuming the same vehicle and same terrain.
  • Options
    Indybell,
    Your commute sounds remarkably similar to mine. I think 20 is about expected in your case. Being AWD means you automatically lose 1 or 2 mpg. I get 25 mpg on a FWD model at 5000 feet altitude (Colorado), which hurts gas mileage by about 1 mpg. It really does seem like some people have something out of spec inside their brakes, engine, tranny, etc. that may explain extremely poor gas mileage.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    LA to Yosemite, 23.17, which included a lot of steep hills, then the flat lands of central California, then moderate hills into Oakhurst, CA. That's a bit low, but the FS was pointed uphill when I filled up, and I think it took a bit more fuel than usual. The trip computer showed about 26.5.

I filled up in Oakhurst CA and drove over the mountains to Yosemite at around 40 MPH average, lots of up and down, then drove back over and all the way to Los Angeles again (love that 19 gallon tank). Got 26.59 on the return trip - the trip computer had 25.3.

All highway speeds at 70 MPH average. Incidentally, all Chevron gas.

Only 1200 miles on my 2006 FWD.
  • Options
    It seems to me that the FS is pretty sensitive to in town MPG. I'm getting around 19.5 by being very careful with the accelerator and doing the usual MPG tricks. I use the info center to monitor the instant MPG to try and improve my driving.

I think this time I'll just not monitor the MPG at all and follow the traffic patterns, to see what "normal" driving provides with the FS. I'll post results here.
  • Options
    barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    I don't understand all the fuss about not knowing if it's the car or the driving habits that are affecting the gas mileage.

This is relatively simple to figure out:

1) Find a nearby interstate or highway where you can do a constant 55 - 65 mph (preferably with the cruise control ON).

2) Find an area that's as flat as possible

3) Accelerate up to cruising speed and engage the cruise control

4) Reset the MPG computer on the vehicle

5) Cruise for 10 - 15 minutes (or at least 5).

6) Check MPG indicated.

7) Report THIS number here.

Nobody can reasonably compare "city mileage" because there's just WAY too much variation in what that means from one person to another.
  • Options
    nibyaknibyak Member Posts: 26
    I've only had my Freestyle since 21 Jan 06. I drive about 170 miles per day. I have an AWD SE. For the first 45 miles of my commute the terrain is hilly Route 66 in VA from mile 0 to 44 and the speed varies from 70 to around 85. The next 30 or so miles is more level terrain but with more traffic and speed goes down to about 65, and then 60. I finish with a few miles of kamikaze driving in the District of Columbia. I routinely have the accelerator to the floor during some parts of the commute, as it's necessary pass some of the semis and to go around the numerous left lane bandits that frequent the highways of Northern Virginia. It's pretty much the exact opposite in the afternoon. So it's mostly highway driving at a bit higher speeds than some of you are reporting (for the first hour the tach never goes below 2500 RPM). I get gas every day and just like Indybell, I also keep a log of my miles and fuel purchases. Since the SE doesn't have the MPG computer I don't have to worry about that and would never consider the mileage that I get in the middle of a trip on a flat highway without any traffic while I kept the speed at 60 as "real world" mileage although it would be fine for barnstormer64's survey. So far, with just under 5000 miles on the odometer, I'm getting between 20.3 for the low and 22.0 for the high. I won't complain with anything over 20. I have a Ford focus that gets much better mileage, but since we bought the Freestyle it just sits in the garage.
  • Options
    I like Barnstomer's technique. This would tell you if the Freestyle is operating correctly mechanically. Its a great test. In fact, you could just take it easy ( 65 mph steady ) on a trip and check the gas mileage manually. Flat ground is essential. If something is dragging inside the engine, brakes, or tranny, then you won't get great gas mileage. At 65 mph steady (little or no headwinds), everyone should be able to get at least 24 mpg. This is with 1 or 2 people in the car, not too much of a load.
  • Options
    At 65 mph steady (little or no headwinds), everyone should be able to get at least 24 mpg.

I have the LTD with AWD, and 24mpg is about what I see, as I recall, if I'm crusing around that speed without any headwinds.

Bu it's quite sensitive to headwinds / extra speed / going up inclines, etc.
  • Options
    bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    you are right. The CVT requires a different acceleration style. At first, i found myself over-accelerating. Also, let's all remember that EPA estimates are obtained in a laboratory, not in real driving, and no air conditioner. Tire pressure is important, but 35-6 in a Freestyle ruins the ride.
  • Options
    tom_holsingertom_holsinger Member Posts: 58
    Coldcranker is correct that Freestyle milage is very sensitive to adverse factors.

I just got 22 mpg on my second long trip, as opposed to 32 mpg on my first. The major differences were:

1) not being able to use cruise control almost all the time (on the previous long trip) because this second trip had significant milage on undivided two-lane state highways with much more varied traffic.

2) about 10% in-town milage as opposed to maybe 1% before.

3) the inclines on Pacheco Pass are much steeper and longer than the ones on Altamont Pass and the pass between the Livermore Valley and the San Francisco East Bay area.

It appears that the Freestyle's only significant decent milage comes from driving with cruise control on in the flat. Then it does fantastically well - over 30 mpg. Otherwise it does about 20 mpg given decent driving habits.
  • Options
    Another example of widely-varying highway mileage:

I have a LTD Freestyle with AWD.

Trip1: Speed was about 62mph, with cruise control most of the time. I averaged about 23 mpg.

Trip2: Speed was about 78mph, no cruise control, and lots of passing. Also, a relatively strong headwind. I averaged about 18 mpg.

Both trips were along the same route, in the same direction, a few months apart. What varied was driving style, and the amount of wind.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Just drove from Virginia to Ohio and back again. On the interstates going to Ohio I kept the speed at about 70-75mph and at 75mph in West Virginia where the limit is 70mph, and I averaged about 22mpg. Then in Ohio I was driving about 60-65mph and averaged 26mpg. On the way back, I had driven 390 miles before filling up and only added 15gal, so there was another 26mpg from driving about 5mph over the posted speed limits (combinations of 55, 65 and 70). And this is driving with 2 passengers and a lot of stuff through the mountains of West Virginia. But when I run around town, the mpg goes as low as 17. I have and SE FWD with 25K miles.
  • Options
    ideafixideafix Member Posts: 11
    Hey.
    A bit dissapointed here. My second gas tank on a FWD SE, the first one that I measure (since I was not sure the first tank was full when getting the freebie from the dealer).

17.6 mpg. True, I live in a hilly terrain area (Pittsfield, MA), mostly town roads and we only have done one medium distance trip with this tank (to Albany, about 1 hr from here).
    I am a very 'slow driver' (indeed I am), I don't accelerate abruptly and try to time the red lights.
    Well it is only 800 miles so far... I hope it gets better (and hope to be getting a more fuel-efficient driver). Will let you know.
  • Options
    ideafixideafix Member Posts: 11
    Hey again.
    Well, it turns out that I made a kind of unplanned medium-long trip today to Providence, RI. About 300 miles round trip, and I had filled the tank just 2 days ago (as narrated in the previous post).

24.7 MPG, mostly Highway (I'd say about 85% of the tank).
    I'm kind of surprised by the 7 mpg difference between town and highway, but I guess that's the way it is.

Well, Freebie still has only 1000 miles on it, and I'd hope that by 3000, I get at least 27/22, as advertised.
    ;)
  • Options
    I think you will reach 27, especially if you don't go faster than 65 mph and don't move the throttle much. Hills are bad, too. I've gotten 25 mpg averaged over 1,200 miles of driving, for accuracy. You have to average several tankfuls to get a good idea of the real, accurate mpg you're seeing.
  • Options
    I agree. If you keep the speed at 65mph or less, especially on cruise, you should see 27mpg. I keep the speed at just over 70mph and I'll get 25mpg easily, but it does drop to around 22-23mpg if I'm doing 75-80mph, and it can drop to 17mpg if I'm doing mostly suburb stop-n-go driving. My '99 Cougar V-6 3.0L engine would get around 30-32mpg when cruising 70mph on the highway, but around town it gets 20mpg, so I wouldn't be surprised at a 10mpg difference between the best and worst.
  • Options
    oakleyseloakleysel Member Posts: 2
    I have a 05 FWD SEL. I just hit 27,000 miles. I noticed I get a higher MPG when I can cruise just over 70 MPH. My MPG reaches 26.4, but for my daily commute it's at 25.5 - 25.8. I check my tire pressure twice a month and I like to keep the pressure high. I use the Freestyle for my daily commuter – I travel 168 miles each day for work. Overall, I am very pleased with the Freestyle – I replaced a 2002 FOCUS with 27-28 MPG, but I got tired of the rough ride and road noise.
  • Options
    The FWD models have the advantage in gas mileage.
  • Options
    " I replaced a 2002 FOCUS with 27-28 MPG,...."

Its amazing the mpg the heavy Freestyle gets compared to many other cars a lot lighter! Freestyle is 3900 lbs, compared to 2800 for a Focus. Of course, the Focus was geared like a sports car for the most part.
  • Options
    tom_holsingertom_holsinger Member Posts: 58
    The dealer who sold me my Freestyle says most every vehicle has a milage "sweet spot" - their milage gets only incrementally worse as cruise control speed goes up, then they hit a "wall" and milage sharply tails off. He mentioned that when I described the wide discrepancy between the freeway milage I get (22-24 mpg) compared to what my wife gets (30-32 mpg). He asked if we set the cruise control at the same speed, and I replied that my setting was about 4-6 mph higher than my wife's.

He says his 8-cylinder Ford truck gets surprisingly good milage until about 65 mph after which it gets awful.

My 2006 FWD Freestyle experience is that the maximum efficient cruise control freeway speed setting is about 68-69 mph, and that setting it at 72-75+ mph reduces milage by at least 6-7 mpg compared to 68-69 mph.

My 4-cylinder 2002 Toyota Camry XLE's milage seems to hit the wall at about 74-5mph on cruise control - freeway milage quickly dives from about 32-34 mph to 27-28 mpg.
  • Options
    Well, I'm 1/2 the way through my test to see if driving habits will up my MPG. This first part was driving without any special attempts to increase MPG.

My average MPG was 18.4. I didn't have any 100% road mileage; it was around 80-90% in town.

Now I'm starting on trying to maximize MPG...
  • Options
    In case some of you don't know how good the Freestyle is at getting good MPG, then here is a comparison with a lighter, smaller vehicle:

Compare to the Suzuki Grand Vitara, a similarly shaped vehicle that is 400 lbs lighter, shorter, and narrower than the Freestyle. The Vitara has a smaller engine (2.7L) that has 18 less horsepower and less torque, too. Wouldn't you expect the smaller, ligher Vitara to get better MPG with its automatic vs. the Freestyle with its automatic? Well, the Vitara gets an EPA 19/24 while the Freestyle (my own SE 2WD) gets 20/27. Not bad. My own 2WD SE Freestyle gets 25 mpg in 30% city / 70% highway driving. We rule. Somebody please name me a vehicle with that much room in it that gets that much mpg. I can't find one. And, cars must have high safety as well. Maybe the minivans are comparable in roominess and mpg, and I'll check on that next.
  • Options
    I researched mini-vans, and we beat them, too, except for the expensive version of the Honda mini-van which gets an EPA estimated 20/28 mpg using displacement-on-demand in the engine, edging the Freestyle out by only 1 mpg on the highway (Freestyle gets 20/27). But that Honda is going to cost you about 5 or 6 thousand bucks more than I paid for my Freest SE FWD, and the Honda doesn't have the sweet CVT. The Toyota Sienna gets slightly worse mpg. The Dodge Caravan gets worse mpg, even if you look at the anemic 4-cylinder Caravan, which supposedly would make it beat the Freestyle in mpg, but doesn't!

I'm an engineer, and I'm telling you that Ford has really achieved something sweet with a lower-friction, better MPG vehicle in the Freestyle. How'd they do it and others can't? Are American engineers pretty good after all?
  • Options
    OK, I found a comparable vehicle that beats the Freestyle in the MPG wars: The Dodge Magnum station wagon is comparable in weight, length, and width to the Freestyle. The Magnum gets 21/28 compared to the Freestyle's 20/27, so it does beat it a little. However, the Magnum has a smaller engine (13 less horsepower), slower acceleration to 60 mph, is rear-wheel-drive, so its definitely NOT an all-weather vehicle, and it has less headroom and cargo room, so the Freestyle really wins when all is considered.

I know how the Magnum beats it:

(1) smaller engine
    (2) lower stance (less height)

but at the expense of headroom! And the Magnum has no CVT.

OK, one more: The Nissan Murano gets 20/25 compared to the Freestyle's 20/27, and the Murano has a CVT, too. Thats close in MPG, although the Murano is about a foot shorter than the Freestyle, but has more power and a sweet Nissan V6 (one of the best engines), so I'd say the Murano about ties the Freestyle's low-friction characteristics. However, the Murano costs several thousand bucks more.
  • Options
    "The Dodge Magnum station wagon is comparable in weight, length, and width to the Freestyle. "

You have to compare all aspects of the two vehicles. The Magnum has very poor visibility and very little room behind the third seat. In fact when I looked at the cargo area (without 3rd seat), I was shocked at how small it was. I have driven a (rented) Magnum and the FS is a much better vehicle.
  • Options
    Since the subject of this thread is MPG, the emphasis is on MPG in comparisons here.

The Magnum is a good vehicle that would appeal to people who want a "cooler" style than the Freestyle, and who don't value cargo capacity as much. The Magnum is rear-wheel-drive, so the rear diff raises the cargo area floor a bit. And, the Magnum's roof isn't high enough, reducing headroom.

There aren't any exact competitors to the Freestyle out there, and my only purpose was to get an idea how efficient (MPG) the Freestyle drivetrain is. From the MPG numbers and its size/weight/power, nothing seems to beat it except the much more expensive Honda mini-van with displacement-on-demand. Ford did something right here.
  • Options
    oakleyseloakleysel Member Posts: 2
    Just for kicks, this past Friday I was able to try for MAX MPG. It was a Holiday weekend, so there was very little traffic. My commute is 86 miles each way on a mostly flat highway. I set the cruise control just under 60 MPH (made for a very long commute). The on-board computer registered 29.4 MPG over 86 miles. I'm not sure how accurate the on-board computer is, but that is the highest it ever registered over a long drive.
  • Options
    I believe that your 29.4 MPG is accurate if you were driving 60mph. I drove 1000 miles to Florida from Virginia down I95 and across I10. The speed limit is 65-70mph mostly and when I put the cruise on about 75mph I was getting 26MPG and at 70mph I got 25MPG (calculated manually), so I can easily see reaching 29MPG at a constant 60mph.
  • Options
    rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    American engineers and scientists are the best in the world. Just look at the progress of technology in the last 50 yrs, most of it american. Where things are going downhill with the big 3, is american management. It is all about greed, not customer service. The [non-permissible content removed] and koreans have realized this and have out-managed the americans big time. There are some exceptions of course, but they are few and far between.
  • Options
    Actually it was 25mpg at 75mph and 26mpg at 70mph.
  • Options
    vicenacvicenac Member Posts: 229
    My FS is back from service after having the computer (I don't know which one) re-flashed after I complained about low MPG (12).
    It averaged 19.2 on my way home on city streets. I was so happy, only to see MPG drop afterwards to about 15-16. Anyway, much better then 12. I also took a 100 mile trip on fast and crawl moving freeways. 22.9 MPG. The high speed was 75-79 Mph and it was used for about 70 percent of the trip. Slow speed of less than 5 Mph was used for about 5 miles.
    I guesstimate that the re-flashing of the computer with latest version of the software improved the MPG with 3.
  • Options
    rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I have the 2005 AWD SEL with 2k miles on it. I finally got a chance to check the highway mileage on a trip to FL last week. As FL is fairly level, one can rule out going downhill for a couple of hours. At 76mph with the cruise control and AC on, I got 23.6 MPG. At 70 mph, with the AC and CC on, I got 24.4 MPG. This is according to the computer and checked again when I refilled. Thus, I cannot complain as my FS is AWD and I was driving relatively fast with the AC on.. enjoy guys.
  • Options
    ramj70ramj70 Member Posts: 28
    AWD, 6k miles right now and I get about 19mpg in the city. We took a trip to Tennessee from Maryland with a full load in the back and going through the hills of West Virginia and we got around 24mpg. On the way back through Virginia we got around 26mpg.

Has anyone tried putting Nitrogen in their tires? I hear its supposed to increase the gas mileage since it doesn't leak out like air does. My dad says his mileage increased up to 5mpg or more since switching to nitrogen in his tires.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I hear its supposed to increase the gas mileage since it doesn't leak out like air does

Air is 79% nitrogen and diatomic nitrogen molecules are almost exactly the same size as oxygen molecules (21% of air) so leakage rates should be almost identical. The real differences are that O2 is more chemically reactive than N2 and pumped air typically has greater water content than pumped nitrogen. I would expect significant differences in performance only in the most demanding of situations, i.e. in racing.

tidester, host
  • Options
    saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    We just got back from a 2,600 mile road trip in our '05 Freestyle AWD SEL. I only tracked the mileage on the return portion, but here is what I got:

1,275 miles
    51 gallons of gas used
    78mph average speed
    25 miles per gallon

Not bad for a fully loaded Freestyle with four people and all our stuff. We're very happy!

Chad
  • Options
    motorcommotorcom Member Posts: 3
    Been driving new 2007 LTD AWD now with 450 miles and the info display is reading 18 mpg around town with ac and 10% ethanol regular gas.
    Any commments on how the computer mpg matches manual readings?
  • Options
    If I reset the MPG meter at the gas station and don't reset it afterwards, I find mine is within .2 MPG.
  • Options
    My computer usually reads 0.5 to 1.0 mpg high relative to reality. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say 0.7 mpg.
  • Options
    glenncofglenncof Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2005 AWD and took a trip from San Jose to San Diego at about 3000 miles on the vehicle. The fuel consumption matched the gas station pumps to within 1% over three tanks. The best I could do was 22 mpg on the readout at that time.

After the 5000 mile oil change, I was easily able to get 25-26 mpg. Although the manual says breakin is about 3000 miles, I think it may be longer. I won't know until until 8000 mile oil change when I re-run the standard highway route I have established to monitor this.

Caveots abound though. I changed my oil at 2700 miles and used Castrol 5W20 non-sythetic. Dino oil is better for break-in than full synth unless specified by factory (eg. Corvett or Porsche). The factory may have put some special break-in additive, I left factory filter in place during first oil change. The non-synth may have had a slight negative impact on the mpg (1 mpg ?) but may have accelerated break-in.

Around town 18-19 mpg has not changed.

BTW after extensive study I plan to change oil and filter every 3000 miles using the Motorcraft 5w20 blend and the FL-820S. (reference see www.theoildrop.com) and both are highly rated by experts. After I am sure things are stable I plan to try Mobil 1 using the FL-820S for a 5000 mile oil change interval.
  • Options
    styxfsstyxfs Member Posts: 7
    My wife and I and our 10 year old son went on a 26 day driving vacation of the national parks in our 2005 AWD SEL Freestyle.

We started in Philadelphia, PA and went through…
    Chicago IL, Madison WI, Rapid City SD, Yellowstone WY, Salt Lake UT, St George UT, Zion UT, Moab UT, Grand Junction CO, Denver CO, Kansas City MO, St Louis MO, Pittsburg PA, hitting 13 national parks along the way.

Of the 6,778 miles driven, most were interstate driving, with the cruise control set to 5 MPH over the state’s posted speed limit. (65 – 80 MPH) While doing the touristy stuff, National Park Speed Limit, 25 – 35 MPH… The gas mileage numbers were better at 65 MPH and lower, and worse above 65 MPH…

Starting Mileage: 11,362
    Ending Mileage: 18,140
    Total 6,778

Hand calculated MPG: 26.8
    Info System MPG: 26.2

Average gas cost was $2.88 ($2.65 to $3.03) 85 to 87 octane.
    258.7 gallons of gas, at a cost of about $745.00.

Oil/Oil Filter changed before and after trip. (Quaker State 5/20)

We had no problems with the car at all. The gas mileage was better than I expected. Some of the steep up hill grades caused the engine RPMs to get up around 4,000 RPM with the cruise control on. I usually dis-engaged the cruise control at that point and manually kept it at around 3,000 RPMs to the summit.

We had a couple days over 105 degrees and a couple mornings around 30 degrees. The climate control handled all temps.

Our 2005 AWD SEL Freestyle was great, and our vacation was amazing.
  • Options
    bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Forget the towing with the Freestyle. If you need to tow and load the interior, you are asking too much, and it should be no surprise at the negative results. We get excellent mileage around town (about 20.5) and highway varies between 26-28. ours is FWD and one or two passengers and sometimes a dog. If I wanted to carry heavy loads and tow, i would never choose a Freestyle. As is and for our purposes, we like it very much.
  • Options
    bugeaterbugeater Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a new 2005 AWD LTD in June of this year. We now have only about 1400 miles on it and with pretty much all city driving, we are only getting about 14 and change on the mpg. With the AWD I wasn't expecting to get the listed numbers but reading posts here, it seems like most people are getting significantly higher numbers than I. Should I be concerned enough to take it to the dealer?
  • Options
    "I purchased a new 2005 AWD LTD in June of this year."

Did you seriously mean a 2005? Bought in June of 2006?

There have been some TSBs for the FS in 2005, and your model probably needs them. I think one of them affects MPG.
  • Options
    Yes, you should be concerned. However, to be sure, check the MPG over at least 3 tankfuls of highway cruising. You should get about 24 MPG with an AWD version on the highway using steady cruising. With an '05 SE FWD model (never re-flashed with new software at all), I get 27 MPG on the highway, and it has slipped down to 24 MPG with some stop-and-go driving in there. I've said before that I think some of the engines and transmissions coming from the factory have extra fuel-eating out-of-tolerance components since some people report high gas consumption.
  • Options
    bugeaterbugeater Member Posts: 3
    Yeah, seriously. They were getting 2007's on the lot but still had a this 2005 LTD with only 50 miles on it. Lots of incentives were thrown in to get us to buy. Ended up lower than paying for a 2007 base model.

I'll check with the dealership and see what they say about the mileage than. Unfortunately we haven't had a chance to take it out for a good steady drive on the highway yet.
  • Options
    fordwrenchfordwrench Member Posts: 70
    I just picked up an '06 Limited AWD & on my first tank I got 18.1 mpg. The second tank is showing 20.4 so far on the message center. I did reflash the PCM on delivery but what I'm noticing most is the way I'm driving this car, very conservatively, mostly because of the way the CVT performs. There seems to be so little pickup until about 10-15 mph that I just don't crowd the gas pedal like I have in other cars. I hope when it's broken in a little it will have a little more go off the line. What a car though, so smooth & plenty of power once moving, & my cargo mat from my Explorer fits EXACTLY into the back of the Freestyle. Move the middle row seats foward & now there's 8 inches more room than the Explorer!