Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Aveo Accesories & Modifications

Comments

• bperrillbperrill Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    I had a 1989 Ford Festiva 1.3 liter. I towed a 500 lb Polaris waverider for a few years with no problem. It had a Class 2, 1 inch hitch. I now have a 2008 Aveo hatchback 1.6 liter and I have a 700 lb wave rider and am thinking of having a similar hitch mounted. The trailer probably weighs 50 lbs.
  • so, i just got an aveo 5-speed a few months ago 2009 hatchback and the pick-up is just killing me! does anybody know anything i can do to make it a bit faster? i'm also looking to race and it's my only car.
  • belleluluebellelulue Posts: 4
    edited November 2010
    racing with your aveo ?! Gotta Kidding me. Only a few people are able to and if you're telling me you can't get speed with it, you're a fool.

First learn to RIDE your car, be one with it. Know the good time to shift and accelerate. Know your limits, know the car's limits. Get into it and ride. Than when you'll do only one with your car, you could begin to think about racin' it !

I always got my aveo5 with all original parts - no modification at all and I won racing against mitsubishi lancer. That's driving a car !
  • Oh I'm pretty serious :) I love my car, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't trade it for anything (that didn't cost 3x the price!) I feel like I'm starting to figure out where some of the limits are, mostly by accident, but I'm also relatively new to driving a manual, so there's definitely been a learning curve there.
    As far as riding my car, I usually drive pretty conservatively for better gas mileage, but lately i've been pushing it to see what it can really do. How safe is it really to push the rpms? I can pretty easily shift a gear later than I would just driving around, but I'm almost scared to do anymore (for the car's sake)
    I almost feel like I just need to go to a test and tune and just see what happens, but I'm soooo new to this, so I'm scared.
    Everyone keeps talking about being a good "driver" or really knowing how to drive. I have no idea what that means exactly...my understanding of it seems too easy.
  • First, you should always keep in mind you should not "test" you car in the city. You don't want to kill someone walkin' around and you really don't want to be the new target of policemen.

You need to keep in mind that if you need your aveo as a daily car, you can't always push the rpm to the maximum. It will cost you a new motor in a year !

On daily ride, the best is to shift at 4,000. You get max power. If you want to race, the best is to shift between 6,000 and 6,500. Don't ever think to get to 7,000. You car won't appreciate, and you'll notice it. It feels like your car brake for 1 second and you're head will hit the seat. That's the best thing that could happends. In worst case, you're car will "die" and you'll need a new motor. Oil will be spilling on the road!

Speed is not all, you need to learn how much degrees you can turn the steering wheel to make any king of turn. You should know how fast you can push you car in a wideturn ... and not make the car fall to the side (it get really close to it once - I was really scared !!!)

If you want to keep your speed in a turn, not a 90° but a 15 to 70°, you can ride to the largest of the road. As if it turns right, keep left while turning. If it turns left, keep right. Always watch if a car is trying to pass you before doing that !

That's all for today's lesson ;)
  • Telling someone running to redline is going to cost them an engine in a year is bogus. In fact it helps clear out the motor and run smoother overall.

Some experts will tell you to redline once a week just to do that.

As for turns, you enter a turn on the inside of the turn, hold tight, and on exit swing to the outside. Shortest distance and maintaining speed. As much as I hate to say it, watch Nascar for an example. They always enter turns on the inside, stay tight to the inside, and mash the throttle and slide to the outside edge of the turn as they enter the straightaway. Play any gran turismo game and watch the racing line... there IS a reason for it.
  • Got enough of this : second time browser bog and erase post.

Do not compare a racecar and a daily drive. that's my point.

GT isn't real life. Even GT5 ! So get over it and don't recommand something so stupid to someone with a stockcar!

Yes nascar is doing it - and engeneer know how to modify the car to do so !
  • Spectra intake kit with a thrush glass pack sounds good.
    Thats around $60 - $70.
    I have an echarger hooked up to my intake and cat delete headers.
    The headers are painted and wrapped with 50 feet.
    Its sound good.
    When I put the headers on, it gave it a deeper rumble.
  • Was the lancer a rolling chassis?
  • Spectra intake kit with a thrush glass pack sounds good.
    Thats around $60 - $70.
    I have an echarger($50) hooked up to my intake and cat delete headers($400).
    The headers are painted and wrapped with 50 feet.
    Its sound good.
    When I put the headers on, it gave it a deeper rumble.
    Ebay and JEGS.com is your best friend.
  • Hello,

I have had this exact same problem and have searched high and low and your post is the only one I found with my same problem. I was hoping you could let me know if you ever found out what the problem was and if it was fixable?

I really appreciate your help, nobody seems to know what to do!

Thank you,

isabella
  • If anyone can shed some light on this issue I would be greatly appreciative!

My Chevy Aveo 2006 will not start. When I turn the key, the car honks eerily but refuses to turn on. I know it is probably an electrical problem...but I don't really know anything about cars.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you all
  • peter58peter58 Posts: 4
    Hi
    for years we had a problem with the alarm (horn) going off for no apparent reason and we finally found a mechanic who understood the problem.
    There is an actuator under the hood that needs replacing,this is hooked up to the alarm and once it was replaced the problem stopped.
    Any reputable Chevy dealer should have this problem well documented.
    Hope this helps
    Peter
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    mejia_isabella,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you planning on having the vehicle diagnosed?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • I have also been experiencing random alarm activations, and recently it has increased dramatically in frequency to about 3-4 times a night. Let me tell you the neighbors LOVE me!

My fiance was able to remove the horn fuse to temporarily solve the problem.

I called my local Chevy dealer, and they were well aware of the problem. The said that it is the hood actuator, and it is about $190 to repair.

Hope this helps everyone and good luck!!!!
  • dms67dms67 Posts: 1
    I purchased an Aveo in 06. I have not had too much problems with it because of regular maintainence. A couple of years ago the door locks quit engaging even though when I push the lock button on the key fob it makes the chirping sound. The alarm will sound when the door is opened. The car was broken into earlier this summer because of the problem. Any suggestions?
  • Hello dms67,

That's horrible that your vehicle was broken into! While this should not be considered an official GM diagnosis, this may be an issue with your door lock actuators. What are your plans for potentially getting this looked into?

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • bill_bbill_b Posts: 2
    Did the Cobalt Engine bolt right up, or did you have to make other changes, like exhaust, tranny, etc?