Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Challenger 2008 and Later

Comments

• jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    "...dusting of mustangs and C5 Z06s with my 6-spd GTO..."

Uh-huh, yeah, sure, ok. Mustangs, ok, but Z06s??!! :confuse:

Again, uh-huh, yeah, sure, ok. ;)
  • For someone such as myself who wasn't around for the 60's musclecar era, the 08' Challenger is a godsend. A way for me to experience what I missed 40 years ago. And a Hemi with a stick would be spectacular.
  • I too was not lucky enough to be around for the muscle car era. With the re-engineered Mustang that came out...the approved concept of the challenger coming out and a few ideas thrown out for the camaro...history is bound to repeat itself...I am NOT a mopar fan but they most definitely seem to have the best design for the aerodinamically re-engineered pony cars...Not to mention the fact it has a 6 speed manual (pistol grip at that) hemi! that tops out at 176 mph! And the guages that tell you how fast your 1/4 mile time is! your 0-60 time! I see that feature not making it into the market though great idea but not a seller among people who don't really race. The only downfall to me are the tires...the tires are made specifically by goodyear...not a goodyear fan simply because they are over priced and over used by too many industries same with the michellin and all the name brand tires. Other than that I am impressed with chryler's decision on bringing back the Challenger after 35 long years this is a long over due welcome!
  • I first saw an article about the Challenger in a magazine at work, and I knew at that very second what my next new car was going to be, but it was not green-lighted at that time, it took about 2 weeks for me to finally see it was good for production. Instant love was all I felt looking at the concept. I just hope they keep it at a reasonable price, it would be disheartening to see it sell for $35,000, hopefully it will be in the range of $22-$25,000 not everybody has a high 5 figure income, American car makers wonder why they are losing ground to the imports, but with the typical decent American car sitting at $31,000, but you can buy a Kia or Hyundai for under $21,000 and get a 10 year warantee, so I think a huge selling point will be to keep it as low-cost as possible, but regardless, I will be first in line with my kidney in hand....
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    Welcome to the Forums! Right or left kidney? You should definitely keep one for yourself... you know, just in case :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• You know its about time dodge got a little hint of what its going to take to capture the younger generation as well as the old.This car will in my own feelings push chrysler to its best production car since the 70's with the cuda an the challenger.I hope to see this car in production soon an reasonably priced,cause ill buy one no matter what....
  • zman08zman08 Posts: 11
    I'm 42years old, I've had small cars, 4x4's, 2wd trucks,motorcycles, dirt bikes and small cars. All thats left is to have a nice rod. Well it's finally arrived, :surprise: It's in the form of the Dodge Challenger. I don't think I've ever seen such a sweet ride. No doubt about it, I will own this car. :shades:
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Yes, the Challenger is suppose to be the smaller of the two. If they build yet another car sized as a 300, I would consider it too large. Don't need a super sized pony car. Something no wider than 74" is OK, and would prefer under 71", and smaller overall dimensions. Give the base model the 3.5 V6 and sell it for around $21K or less, and I would bite. Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, 'Cuda, AMX pony cars all looked awesome. Keep them no larger, and a bit lighter than the original cars to help performance and gas mileage, and the New Challenger should be a winner as a Pony car, as well as, a muscle machine. Hope it doesn't become a specialty car, too wide to drive in my home town, and too costly buy. Have no idea what gas will be in 2007 and 2008, but I bet it will be more than the $2.50 a gallon it is now. My bet is $3.00 to $3.75 a gallon range, if we are lucky. So a tame version and a gas guzzler may make for a good pair to sell. Yeah, I know DoD engines save on gas, if you want to drive like the little ol' lady going to bingo. That said, Corvettes, with a stick, get pretty good gas mileage when cruising.
    Sure you've seen this car before. It is, in a way, a replica car of Challenger of days-gone-bye. From '67 to '73 there were plenty beauties to choose from. Best years for GM and Dodge/Chrysler's had some hot looking items, while Ford gave use some great Stangs. Personally, I think one of the most awesome looking concept cars is the Solstice Coupe, which for the life of me, I can not understand why GM did not produce it in large numbers before introducing the drop top. I would have sold the Sky as the roadster and the Solstice as a Coupe'. Oh yeah, with lower door window sills.
  • I'm surprised the plug hasn't been pulled on this concept yet. Seeing that Chrysler is loosing money even with all these very nice cars that they are already making (Magnum, 300C, Charger)I can't see why they would bother with this ugly retro! Plus gas still isn't cheap so you know people will slam them for building yet another sports car instead of a fuel sipper. I'm all for more horsepower but they have to look at the big picture and this is a bad move.
  • And, what planet are you from???? Although, it's good to hear the tiny minority's opinion. Check out all the pro-Challenger emails in the last couple years. If you don't like it, get a fuel sipper Yugo because they did well, NOT.

There's a lot of us that have been waiting for this car to come back. Don't ruin it for the rest of us.
  • I'm not trying to pee on anyones parade. If I had the cash I'd be riding in a fully loaded Dodge Magnum SRT-8 fuel prices be damned! But most of us live in the real world mopar_rick and we don't have the money for such fun vehicles. And Chrysler is loosing money so is a car like this really going to help them? NO! Even though it will probably have MDS the perception will still be that it's just another gas guzzler. Plus it's ugly!
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "Plus it's ugly!"

Clearly the above is just your subjective opinion, an opinion that is in the extreme minority I might add. Fortunately DC listens primarily to the majority, and like it or don't, the majority likes the Challenger concept muy much. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • "Fortunately DC listens primarily to the majority"

Well if that's the case I should be driving a Razor! LOL :P
  • I agree with you Rick IF your not for us your against us . Again like Rick said"WHAT PLANET ARE YOU FROM"!!! You don't have a clue on style so stay on your bike.That car ROCKS!! This car WILL be THE HEAD TURNER!! Please . . .stay off our wave. Have a nice day!! :) :)
    Yes I've seen the old version of this car and have had a ride in one too. But I beg to differ with you, the best days for Dodge for me personally are now not then. The cars of Dodge today, are second to none if you wan't a meat and potatoes muscle car. This car will be a head turner no matter what. As far as the Solstice is cocerned, nice little car but not even in the same league. About putting the Challenger into production, it will happen, my place of employment is currently bidding on work to retrofit an existing dodge line to take the challenger parts in Brampton Ontario Canada. I can't wait to see the birthing grounds of this car.
    I was talking about style, and not engineering. Sure as time moves along, there are plenty of advances in how cars ride and handle, as well as, reliability, fit and finish. While the Challenger may be a good effort in meshing the two eras together, it validates what I am saying. They are having to go back to the wonder years of cool styles of American cars to find today's buyers. Not sure if it is a good thing of not. Will be an outstanding looking car, if not too wide and overall too larger, but it looks pretty close to the original. Thus you always run the risk of replica car status. I suppose that is OK as well. You would have a modern day replica of the best of style for Chrysler/Dodge company. The original will always be the real deal, and have the greatest worth however. As for great car to drive, those are todays cars.

The Solstice and Sky are new cars. The less bling-bling Solstice could in a way be considered a modern day Pony car. I would consider them as much a Pony as a Challenger 2008. The Challenger is muscle car of course, and is super sized larger than the fat era of Mustangs. This appeals to some. I like the look of the New Challenger, as I did back when, but not the width. And I fear pricing will get out of hand too. I am seeing Mustangs now for $31K or more, which is ridiculous. Have they moved from Pony car to Ultimate Driving Machine status now - I think not. They have Chargers priced like Cadillac, Infiniti or Bimmers now. Where does the madness end?
    Good post m1miata, I agree with every thing you've stated. Don't know where you are, Here in Ontario The Charger R/T is about $38k, and the SRT8 Charger is about $48k. I definately will be in the market for a Challenger SRT8, but I refuse to pay anything over $50k out the door. Seems like the days of the average consumer owning a nice rod are disapearing. Cheers. :(
  • I see it happening, nothing but a collector's: "The Dodge Challenger Fan Club". A Sunday Show, then on Monday back to the used Corolla or Saturn. Pure hypocrisy. Totally unpractical. I mean, I can't even count how many 350Zs and Imprezas been daily driven. Does America = waist? Here is a hint, GM pushes the GTO - a 6.0L.. GONE! Firebird, Trans Am! Camaro? :lemon: But Joe... the current muscles are holding on. But... without the v6? muscles anyway? again, Pure hypocrisy. Of the three, GM is slowly getting it. The GTO was an attempt: compact with a RWD v8. How about a smaller v8-4.0? Tuners can take it from there. Pontiac Solstice, interesting.
    Yo, dude. Take a chill pill and count to five bazillion.

There's room here for all opinions. It seems that you have one, however, just what it is I have no idea. So, please, take a step back, collect your thoughts, put them in outline format and post them in a nice & logical format. When you do, the rest of us can digest what it is you have to say, think about it and then debate it.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Dude, are you slow?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,438
    America = waist?

I have read that Americans are overweight on average, yes. ;b

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

Nope, quite to the contrary actually, I just have a problem reading incomprehensible and illogically presented thoughts. Please, try again.
  • And with the Lincoln LS and the Cadillac CTS somehow I thought American automakers were taking a different direction: lean vehicles with lighter but stronger bodies, with smaller but more powerful engines. Sure, these pimp rides look and sound good, but we way passed that.
    I can aprreciate your point of view lexman, but what about the guy like me. I don't want somebody telling me that this is it, lean, lighter, stronger bodies with smaller powerful motors is all I have a choice of. I want bold heavy looking American muscle of the past in a new package. It may seem out of date to you, but to me it's the next generation of muscle car, it's going back to it's roots to draw from. Personally there's not much out there that grabs my interest, this Challenger is one sweet looking ride. Merry Christmas brother. ;)
  • And I appreciate and respect yours. And it is clear that Chrysler knows that there is a big market for these vehicles and they are wisely capitalizing on it. We are a very diverse society and auto manufacturers have to adapt to that. Best wishes to you and your love ones. ;)
  • kawhdkawhd Posts: 3
    As a previous owner of a 1970 440 Challenger, I'm thrilled with the overall design with the exception of the dash. Personally, I'd like to see a more simple and retro looking set up similar to 1970. DCX went to such extremes to ensure the styling was spot on 1970. I just wish the dash was more retro.

Also, when it comes to pricing I'd look for the Challenger to be in line with the competition (Charger, Shelby Mustang, etc.) so you'd better start saving your pennies because you'll need around $45,000 for the most powerful HEMI version.

Merry Christmas.
    I'm expecting to be paying upwards of $50,000Can for an SRT8 version,but I will make that decision when I see the production version and take it out for a drive. 50K is alot of coin to blow on a set of summer wheels.
  • kawhdkawhd Posts: 3
    I have to admit that I'm torn between spending $45,000 - $50,000 on a new Challenger versus a nice 1970 440 R/T. There are pros and cons for each, but the 1970 will always be one of the few, where as the 2008 will be one of many. I'll wait to see what the final production vehicle looks like and its price before I make a final decision.
This discussion has been closed.