Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Challenger 2008 and Later

Comments

• Today (Monday) I went to visit my local Dodge dealer like the website says. I had my screen capture in hand stating today was the day. I was hoping to at least get an option sheet so I could prepare my order. I was in and out in 60 seconds. They didn't appear to have anything...didn't appear to know anything...but promptly told me they were taking deposits for deals at $40,000 over sticker! Heck, that's what the Ford GT supercar's premiums were. That's twice as much as the Shelby Mustang's premium is! That's as much as the car itself costs!

This was Planet Dodge in Humble, Texas about 2:45PM today. Has anyone else ran across this fiasco?
    EOF
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,837
    wow. might as well buy a Z06 instead.
    or how about $20k discount, and buy a cherry used GTO-naro,
    if you can handle its wild styling.?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I believe it. I saw a Mugen Civic Si listed at $5k "market adjustment" over MSRP. It was a $35k Civic!

-mike
    I went to my dealer today and requested this information and he said he would check, That is after I had to go thru all the conservation that all I want is a Super stock Race Car, Not a street Car.. Who even knows what class it would run in with the rumor of it weighing 4000 lbs and the 6.1 is around 372 cubic Inches. If anyone can give me some help on this subject it would be greatly appreciated.
    eliminator219

You'd probably need to contact Dodge Motorsports directly, most dealers will not get involved in motorsports related cars unfortunately.

-mike
  • You most likely are right, I will give it a try.No one seems to know anything about it or Some wont even return my calls. It just seem that all the Chrysler people that I knew have either retired or Died. Guess that I just lived to long, People ask me why I want another Race car at my age, They want to know if Im in my second childhood and I tell them that I've never got out of my first!

Les
  • $5000 premium

Had a friend stop in a different dealership. Clear Lake Dodge is taking orders at $5000 over sticker. That's more like it! Sunroofs are an option.
    EOF
  • blush: hey i got a question which do u think i betta the new 08 challenger or would it be worth wild just waiting for the 08-09 camaro
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,907
    ???
    that is a question only you can answer.
    Some are bowtie people. Some are mopar people.
    Some prefer the look of the upcoming camaro. Some prefer the Challenger.
    Ain't choices grand?

IF you are looking for personal opinions (which is all you can receive with the question you asked), I've never been a Camaro guy. Unfortunately, I grew up during the time when Camaros were relegated to guys with slicked hair, 2 too many buttons undone on their shirt, and gold chains. On the other hand, the Challenger is the 1 vehicle from the musclecar era I could ever see myself owning.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    Thanks for the info.

I'm wondering if the SRT8s that are equipped with the Tremec 6spd would be subject to the gas-guzzler tax? Or is it just the auto, assuming this is similar to the Monaro/GTO? I hope unlike that car, the Tremec isn't a $700 option.

I think the V6 will help with sales, and am wondering what the pricing will be on the base Hemi V8. I'm still on the fence on getting on, particularly since petrol prices are currently in the $3+ range in my neck of the woods. Luckily I have a couple of years to think about this purchase (who knows what petrol prices will be at that time).

I hope these dealers know what they're doing by putting such high ADM on these cars. I think buyers need to get over their "gotta have it now" feeling and make the dealers hold the line on the pricing. In the end the buyers have the power - I'm disappointed in the gouging to say the least. Not really feeling the Barrett-Jackson auction either, this just makes matters worse in terms of pricing for us common folk. :sick: I've also seen a couple of pre-listings in eBay, people asking $20K minimum over the price they pay for the car. So that could mean some sucker will pay upwards of $65K for this. As with the ridiculous ADM on the Shelbys (particularly the GT500), I say for that cash buy a used Z06. I was really hoping the dealers would hold the line on this one...

But in the end the main thing is that the car is going to be reality and should bring some spark to Mother MoPar!!
  • It's been really aggravating so far. Yes, we should let these dealers sit on these cars. But in reality, it won't happen. People will be willing to pay for them. I heard yesterday that they're thinking about manufacturing more than 5000 units, but less than 10,000. I've been waiting for over two years for this car and had my name on my dealer's list for a year after they promised me that they would not charge a surcharge on top of the MSRP. I had no problem paying the MSRP considering the how long that I've been waiting for the car, but I was just told that they are adding $30,000 to the price of the car. With the gas-guzzler fee, my gig, the bigger tires, and tax the price will be $75,000. I could almost get a Viper for that price.

Does anybody know if the first (new model-not 1960's) Shelby GT500's that they were getting an extra $30,000 are valued more than the next ones off the assembly line. Is it worth paying this surcharge just to get the first ones off the line?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,907
    Is it worth paying this surcharge just to get the first ones off the line?

Not even close.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

The gas guzzler tax will depend on what the milage rating is. For the GTO the 6MT gave it better milage which brought it out of the gas guzzler tax area.

-mike
    Yes, aggravating here as well. And as you stated for that kind of money, you're in Viper / Z06 territory. Hell, I'd buy an original for that kind of bread if I "needed" to have a Challenger.

Talked to a co-worker of mine that has a Hemi Charger and he stated his dealer has contacted him three times to see if he wanted to be on the list. He declined each time. As with you and myself, he doesn't have a problem paying MSRP, with the $2K gg tax, but refuses to pay a "gotta have it" premium. At first his dealer stated it would be about 5 stacks ($5K) over the MSRP, but in the later contacts didn't state what it would be, just that they were adding a decent ADM. My co-worker stated he was going to wait until the standard Hemi comes out, see what the pricing is for that then go from there. He's in pretty tight with the dealer so I was going to us him as a referral if/when I was going to buy mine.

Basically I wanted a plain-jane Hemi, no extra frills, hi-priced options, whatever. Whatever comes standard like cloth interior, regular radio, wheel/tire combo, is what I want. Don't need the SRT-8. And now that they will have the manual. But if they are going to raise the prices with some ridiculous ADM, I look elsewhere.
    Um, I know. Which is why that (Monaro/GTO manual) didn't and most likely the manual Challenger won't have the gg tax. I'm figuring the Tremec will have similar ratios as the current, with and overdrive 5th & 6th gear, 6th most likely being .5:1.

I expect the Challenger to have about $2200 gg tax, which moves the sticker to $40K IF the MSRP stays at the $37,995 and there aren't any options added. Add in ADM, tax it and your probably looking at mid-$50K at a minimum!! Yikes man!! :surprise: I just don't like when dealers play that game. And I'm afraid of what is going to happen when they auction one off at Barrett-Jackson next month; I think dealers are going to use it to justify high-A prices (excuse the language), similar to the GT-H last year :sick:

SRT-8 too much for me. I'll wait for the regular Hemi. I have a couple of years yet, so I can sit back and weigh my options, see what petrol prices will be, the market, the reliability / build quality of this beast and determine then. That's what's nice about having owned so many cars; I've become patient and don't need to be the first on the block to have the latest, greatest. Though this car is n-i-c-e. :shades:
    Yup, I did a similar thing with my Legacy GT. If you are patient you can often find a slightly used one for a significant discount about a year or 2 after initially released.

-mike
  • The Lithia dealer up here, Alaska, is taking orders at MSRP (my friend is first in line). It seems that they understand a customer for life is better than a one hit wonder.
  • If you are correct about 5,000 to 10,000 units the 1st year, this is only to see what the true market is for this vehicle! If it does sell out very fast, and I do emphasize IF it does sell out fast, it will be like the 1st year Camaro! The 2nd year MOPAR will flood the market, same as Camaro did the 1st year, with over 220,000 units sold in 67, because of the huge demand for these vehicles!

As far as Barrett - Jackson is concerned, the ONLY interested parties for the Challenger will be for bragging rights to the serial numbers (being 0001, 0002 or 003), which will be the only real true value to own this vehicle! I do not believe that the Barrett - Jackson will not sell that Challenger for more then double the sticker and that is only because of the highly attractive low VIN #'s!!! "MY OPINION"

Personally I like the Camaro, keeping in tradition with the old, but also keeping with ALL the new technology and that Bad-dass LS3 Small Block, making it one of the fastest, more aerodynamic, economical and all around Camaro/Muscle Car and family car! Again "MY OPINION"

As far as being able to get a Viper or ZO6 Vette, have you tried to purchase a Viper??? I have a friend that tried to purchase a new Viper, with $85 Large in hand, and was told IF he was NOT a past/present owner he could not even get behind the wheel, never mind buy one! He went to the local Chevy Dealer and purchased a new ZO6 cash! That '03 ZO6 now does the quarter mile in the low 9's, with mostly just bolt-ons! He is so much happier with his purchase, and the ZO6 is STILL a daily Driver, which a Viper will NEVER, EVER be!

Find a friend that owns one and go for a ride on a nice hot summer day (say about 2 hours, that's about all you can take, according to what I've been told by most people I know that have done this), you will see exactly what I am talking about. Plus end up with burns on your calf's from entering and exiting the vehicle when HOT!!! I live in a neighborhood with at least half dozen Viper's, more then a dozen Corvette's, including my C6, old Hot Rod's and Harley's! (Oh Ya, 1 restored, REAL Big Block Shelby Cobra!) :)

I have purchased my share of Muscle Cars, but NEVER have I paid either sticker or above! Personally I think that anyone that will pay all that extra money for a car, only because it is the 1st year out can give ME that money, and I will spend it wisely on a car that is not only fast, but will hold it's value years later, when it really counts! But this IS only MY OPINION and knowledge from past practice!! Make mine a Vette/Bowtie! :}~ :shades: But I REALLY do like the looks of this New Challenger! Especially after growing up in that Era!!!! I believe that 38 Large, LOADED would be a good price, but not very much more then that!!!!!
    Agreed Paisan. If I get one, and that's a BIG IF, it will most likely be a used one if I couldn't get a decent price for a new one. 2010 time frame, hopefully the P/U will hold out until then. :confuse:
    "I do not believe that the Barrett - Jackson will not sell that Challenger for more then double the sticker and that is only because of the highly attractive low VIN #'s!!! "MY OPINION""

I think, looking at their past record, are going to throw down the gauntlet and try to jack the price up to the stratosphere. Like with the Shelby GT Coupe, then the convert. (Not talking about the GT500, but the GT, basically the rental). The GT eventually was auctioned for for $220K, with the "gracious" opportunity to #2. I can't remember if the whale got #2 or not. Then last year the convert went for $250K. To me that kind of gave dealers "justification" to play the ridiculous ADM game. All the proceeds from the GT coupe sale were to go to charity from what was stated I believe (just #1, not #2), but the convert was a different story.

The only "remake" that didn't go for the typical, B-J price increase was the Monaro/GTO. I think that went for about 1.5x standard MSRP of $32K.

I agree, why spend the extra cash just to be the first or because you gotta have it now!! I'll wait and see what happens.