Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Challenger 2008 and Later

Comments

• Anyone notice the the yellow and red side marker lights on the Challenger were stickers?
  • If Dodge puts it out as designed, then they could have a real winner. It has similar lines to the old Challenger but with some new softening. Kind of like the current Mustang versus the first year Mach 1. Not quite the same but you can tell the linage!
  • twaintwain Posts: 185
    The teasing new Challenger seems to be more of a retro-Plymouth Barracuda to my eye.
    ----------------------------------------

The Cuda was always better looking than the Challenger anyway. But Plymouth is gone now and that was 35 years ago so maybe no one will notice. ;)
  • carfaxcarfax Posts: 43
    You may have the body looking like a 70's Cuda, but everything else will be totally different then the old ones.
    This is a good thing, because they were great in a straight line, but handled like a tank in the corners and on back roads. In snow, well take a bus to where ever you wanted to go to get there.
    If Dodge builds it, then they will sell. With the technology of to day you should have a car that not only will go fast but handle and ride much much better then in the 70's. The gas mileage should be double of what we got back then.
    Yes i had one in 1970 and that Cuda only got 10 miles to the gallon on the hiway and lucky to get 4 when you were pushing it hard. It was a sleeper with 340 in a black stripe down the back quarter panel, but that orange body had a 440 with the six pack, four speed and 4.11 gears.
    Sure wish i still had it to sell on e-bay so i could afford to buy the new one when it comes out.
  • I thought the 70' Challener and the Barracuda had the exact same bodies, but with different tail lights and front grille.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "I thought the 70' Challener and the Barracuda had the exact same bodies, but with different tail lights and front grille."

Not quite. I had a 1970 Challenger, my best friend had a 1970 Barracuda, and other than the two ends, the Challenger had a 2 inch longer wheel base (110" vs. 108") and was 4.6 inches longer overall (191.3" vs. 186.7"). Also note that the accent line on the side of the Challenger was an "S" curve (which by the way is also on the "New" Challenger) while the line on the Barracuda was straight down the side. IIRC, the only place where you would really notice the difference in the length (unless they were parked side by side) was in the rear seat foot well.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I really like this retro look that the car manufacturers are trying for, but just not quite there. Now this Challenger concept if kept to the design, would make me a believer again. Hell I would sleep in the garage. :P
  • Thanks. :) I never really noticed the differences you pointed out. I guess I never looked that closely.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    Lots of narrow streets around my city. Don't like the idea of too wide a car. The concept car is: Length × Width × Height in: 197.8 × 78.6 × 57
    Wish they would make a smaller and lighter Challenger, and a new sedan and coupe car on a platform size of say a BMW3 at around 3,000#. And give the Challenger the 3.5V6, which I assume they will. Would be a cool car for around $21K, give or take.

Loren
    Loren, I'm thinking that many of your criteria are mutually exclusive. Why? Because you cannot even find a new Jetta that meets your stated metrics. Consider the following:

2006 Jetta (L * W * H): 179.3 x 70.1 x 57.4
    2006 Jetta (Weight 6-Sp): 3,230
    2006 Jetta (Engine): 150 HP 2.5 liter I5

So, I'm afraid that you can wish all you want for a 250 HP, 3,000 pound, $21,000 Challenger, but it ain't gonna happen. Sorry about that.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I agree, they won't do it. Now if they did, they would be able to sell those like hotcakes, and the car would be an all around world class car. The Jetta is a bit heavy, but then again, it always has been so. My Corolla was 2,500#. Anyway, even a 3,200 Challenger would be better. And not that 78.6" width.
    The V8 Mustang is around 3,500#, and I am sure it is not state of the art for weight reduction. Chrysler should be able to shed some pounds when producing performance, more sporty cars. Better gas mileage and speed.

Loren
  • If it was that small then it would not be a musclecar. Maybe you should be looking at a Mustang. It has a six cylinder like you want and an even lower price than you mentioned.
    1) Challenger is a Pony car - not nessasarilly a muscle car
    2) I may or may not get a six cylinder. Since they have a 250HP one at Chrysler, it would make a good base engine. They can also offer a V8.
    3) Balance before HP rules in handling. The closer to 50/50 weight distribution the better. The 300 is a job well done. For gas mileage, cost, and to sell more cars, I say make it smaller and more agile than the Charger. Standard wheels as 16" and 18" to wagon wheels, if ya need'em as optional sizes, and for the V8 macho cars.
    4) With parking spaces and roads, so narrow, do we really need a 78.6" wide car - no!
    5) The New Stang is getting fat too. It is already 73.8" in width now, and 3,373# on the scale in V6 form. Not a bad car and something to consider. Personally, I will wait for the bugs to be worked out, or would just get a nice 2004 GT, which are selling at a good price now. New Stangs, especially the GT is starting to suffer price creep. I guess the demand is still high. But really, some GTs selling for $30K and the Saleen for $47K - really now, is the world crazy?

It seems the Chrysler 300 luxury mobile is reasonably priced at $28K for the Touring Edition. No reason the Challenger can not come out in a base form for those wanting a lean and fun machine without paying the big bucks. Base $21k or less and fancier ones in the $25K or more. And those in need of the Hemi, which would be fun for straight-away speed, they could make a version under $30K.

Loren
  • i love the car !! everything screems mopars comeback,,theve messed up the charger name and carlessly using superbee stripes on a pickup and many other bo booos im sad they cant and wont make the cuda due to plymouth being gone but n e (E)body replica will do,im rilly impressed with the smooth curves and style ,i dont like new cars that well even tho i own them but i will be buying a challenger hands down,i always have been a mopar or no car man,i new mopar would make a comback as hot as the ford mustang ,i will lookfoward to mustangs sales to plumet..hahahaaaaaa......ty
  • i agree i liked the 99 charger.
  • if you think its ugly you must not be a tru mopar man.you got to look at whats hot ,,,hello ..retro is..the ugly mustangs turned into a good looking mustang,(retro)and gess what ,,its selling faster than they come in!!and they will be in the lot in hords wene the challenger comes out.just you watch,i speak the truth.
  • wlbrezwlbrez Posts: 1
    I had a 70 challenger & I will be the first in line to order the new Challenger when is is released. It is looks more like the original than the Mustang ever will. This car is going to be the most refreshing reto car to be released in a long time. Everyone says the new mustangs are the closes to the original and the concept camero is the hottes new thing to come out. The Dodge Challenger is going to be the "Sleeper" car will surprise everyone to be a true American Muscle Car just like it was in it glorious past.
    Sorry, but the previous Mustang was far from ugly, and sold quite well. The New Stang has its good points, and once the bugs are out, I may even consider one. To say the previous models were ugly may be your opinion, and that is fine too. As for retro, the New Stang could go back to modern day, easier to read gauges, and a new interior. While the New Stang and New Challenger are different in looks than the original, I would have preferred a bit more modernized version in a way. It is almost too replica car like. I lived the 60's, liked the looks of the later 60's cars, but now look forward to new designs, and latest efforts. Yes, honor the past, best of classic designs, but do not simply replicate them.

:shades: Loren
  • taimopartaimopar Posts: 1
    I owned five Challengers before. I loved them dearly. I always dreamed what it would be like to have bought one new back in 1970. Now there may be a chance. It would be a dream come true.

This concept car looks so good, true to the original yet updated in technology.

Chrysler, please, just get it into production as soon as possible. I am having trouble concentrating on work, I can't wait! And, make enough to go around, there's going to be a lot of takers!
  • I have been a chevy guy my entire life, until now. I have never seen such a retro design incorporate the technical detail as Mopar has with the Challenger. I was too young to appreciate the pony war when it was at its peek and I feel like I might get my chance. I know people don't want to hear comparisons all the time, well too bad. Being a chevy fan and looking at the Camaro concept, I must say it is a hot car. However, when I compare the interior detail of the Camaro to the Challenger it isn't fair. Fair to the Camaro that is. The fact that they incorporated the dash as a telemetry is cool, but when they gave the readouts the shape of an engine block was ingenious. I don't know if anyone else feels the same about the LED Six Shooter headlights but I think it screams REBEL especially with the pistol grip stick shift. :surprise:
  • upuautupuaut Posts: 14
    The 70-74 Challenger and Barracuda shared no body panels, although they do look very similar.

Joe
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    I was too young to appreciate the pony war when it was at its peek and I feel like I might get my chance.

I think that is why the Challenger, the Mustang GT maybe GT500) and the Camaro somewhat, are getting the rave reviews. They are allowing people like yourself, who were too young in the pony & muscle car era to get a chance to relive it.

Plus it is allowing kats and kittens like me, who missed it all together, to be able to purchase a vehicle that really represents that time. We all don't want Scions, Tiburons and Civics. With people / organizations like Kruse, Barret-Jackson and others jacking the prices for the old iron into the stratosphere I'm never going be able to afford a muscle-car era one.
  • upuautupuaut Posts: 14
    Shipo is right, a 3000 lb v6 challenger is not going to happen. Even a BMW 330 has a curb weight around 3450 lb. the trouble with making a lightweight modern car is all the extra stuff cars are packed with compared to 1970. Air conditioning, power windows, power door locks, air bags, safety beams in doors, ETC all these things we take for granted in modern cars add weight, and it all adds up. Take for example my 1970 340 4 speed challenger, With a full tank of gas it has a curb weight of 3480 lb. Now I have got some lightweight components on it compared to stock like aluminim wheels and intake manifold and a few other items so factory stock it would weight about 3550 lb. Compare that to the proposed 2008 challenger, roughly same size V8 (the Hemi I think is even a little lighter than the LA small blocks)and it's estimated weight is about 4000 lb. the 450 lb diffrence is all modern convenience, safety and pollution items, IMO.
    Ya know, the Mustang is looking good and RWD, but to Hyundai's credit, that Tiburon is sharp - very sharp. I am over 50 yrs of age, and do like the designs of the later 60's cars. Would consider a Mustang. That said, I also appreciate change when change means improvement. If the Tiburon was RWD and a tad lighter, or had a few more ponies under the hood, it would be a really larger contender. Not too bad as is. Scion tC is sort of interesting and the Civic in the coupe looks sharp indeed. Once again, those wanting RWD won't find it though in these cars. Once you own a RWD car, like say a Miata, you will see and feel the difference. I have owned a couple Mustangs and a Miata. Pony cars are not close to the handling of the Miata class of cars, but they have their own appeal.

Hyundai is working on a RWD sports car coupe. So now comes an interesting choice between a modern looking and presumably handling car, vs. the retro. I would consider both as good choices. We live in the future, so why not a good new car? Wasn't the 2004 a good Mustang- I think it had its good points. If a new car comes along, large enough to fit a bigger boy into and have room Americans expect inside, with good gas mileage, handling and looks, it too may be considered a Pony car. I wish the Challenger and Camaro were smaller and lighter, and had good V6 engines- modern and fuel efficient. We shall see.

Loren
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    Loren,

Oh I agree. I actually like the current Tiburon (really disliked the previous gen, too sharky for me - I even liked the Scoupe, remember that one?) and the tC. Maybe I wasn't clear as I might have sounded like I was bashing the vehicle, sorry bout that.

The Tiburon actually has a bodyline similar to a 456GT and has some Ferrariesque cues to it; I think it is a really tight pacakge. The tC looks robust without being piggy-like and have heard many great things about them from their owners. Even visited the Scion site, and the mods / accessories that can be added is really endless; almost seems to taking over some of the older Civic's territory somewhat. If I was in the market for a small runabout, those two would be on my list (actually made it when doing a "dream" list").

But a first-gen Miata with a 5-liter conversion still tops that list though ;)
  • pagilpagil Posts: 1
    If its a narrow lighter car you want, then stay away from the muscle cars...especially the Challeger. The Challenger is coming back with a vengeance...stand back!
    Very odd that the modern day rendition of Pony car is as large as a Lincoln Town Car - oh well, to each his or her own, as they say. The Mustang '04 or current is about as large and heavy as needed.

The Challenger was a very nicely shaped automobile. The new one looks pretty good. Better than say 1970- not sure about that one. I take it these are indeed not Pony wars people are really speaking of, but rather HP wars. The same people that a few months ago wanted a bigger and more powerful SUV, now seek out the neo-muscle cars. Usually more HP than they can handle considering current high speed wrecks, at least in my area.

Loren
    "Very odd that the modern day rendition of Pony car is as large as a Lincoln Town Car..."

I assume that you are deliberately exaggerating to make a point here, because by all accounts, the new Challenger will be somewhere around two feet shorter than the newer and relatively smaller Town Car. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • 14siera14siera Posts: 1
    I cant wait untill the new challenger comes out. this car is freakin beautiful. It looks so much like the old cudas and challengers with a little new flavor. I've read that if they put them into production and sales are good the first year(wich thats a given) that the second year they might drop a 6.4 litter 392 hemi in it. Pushin 510hp. that will be bad [non-permissible content removed]. I cant [non-permissible content removed] wait to be barkin tires down main street in one of these.

14siera
This discussion has been closed.