Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler PT Cruiser Owners: MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• jacksmom1jacksmom1 Posts: 2
    I forgot to add, we get between 16 and 19 mpgs :cry:
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    On our 2006 PT, btw, we get 17-18 in mostly (80%) city driving, 20 mpg in 60/40 mixed freeway/city driving, and 24 mpg on long freeway road trips. Automatic. This matches our experience with a 2004 PT.

We do drive the '06 harder than we drove the '04, simply because I realized that babying it only gains about 1 mpg....
    Your mileage isn't off relative to the EPA city /highway ratings. Getting about 3 mpg less in each category seems good to normal. Some drivers of other cars get 5 mpg less in each category. Basically the EPA ratings are viewed as way out of whack. The PT has a 150 hp/165 torque 2.4 liter engine optimized for performance, not mileage. Hence the dismal mileage. I actually get more mileage with the same engine in a 2006 Caravan. But the Caravan is a slug compared to the PT Cruiser.

In short, nothing wrong with your car. Coming from a Scion xA which got 33-35 mpg on a freeway commute, I can assure you that mileage isn't everything, and the additional comfort, size, and safety of the PT make up for "passenger car" mileage.
  • tom28tom28 Posts: 2
    I had a 2001 Touring and achieved 23-28 MPG. Car had 115,000 when I sold it for a 2006 GT. This HO Turbo gets 17-23, but there I only have about 3,000 on the engine. My 2001 MPG increased/stabilized after 3,000 on it. Looking forward to more improvements on the 2006...
  • tom28tom28 Posts: 2
    I, too, had difficulty resetting the MPG. The dealer sent this to me: "Once a particular system is displayed, short and long presses of the STEP button will move the EVIC through the system menu. Pressing and holding the STEP button once will clear the resettable function currently being displayed. Reset will occur if a resettable function is currently being displayed. To reset all resettable functions, press and release the STEP button a second time within 3 seconds of resetting the currently displayed function (Reset ALL will be displayed during this 3 second window)."

I tried this on my 2006 PT, and it seemed to do something, but I couldn't get ALL to display. Maybe you can have better luck.
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    That is pretty bad. I bought the stick, which gets a little better gas mileage. Would never want that automatic if mileage is that bad. I would complain about 16-19, as there has to be something wrong with that engine. Once you have a third fill of gas, or so, I would think mileage should be close to listed on your model.

My car is listed as 22 - 29. Only once did I hit the close to 29. Most of the time in mixed driving I get 24, with 26.5 say for an average freeway drive with two in the car. Can sometimes get 28 or more without passengers. Most cars I have owned, I got at or better than EPA gas mileage figures as shown on the sticker. The GM V6 would get at to 10% more. Same with Toyota Corolla and Miata, at or better than government real gas mileage.

My next car could be a V6 or even some V8s and get similar gas mileage, I think.
    -Loren
  • marybarrowmarybarrow Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 GT that gets between 13 and 26 mpg. What a spread that is. I just returned from a trip and I got an amazingly 26 mpg!!! I was so pleased. But then, that is not why I bought my car. I love the looks of it and style. Driving it is a fun experience. I had a 2001 that I traded in on my 2004, and I probably get another one when the time is right, if they still make them. My husband had a 2003 GT that he just recently turned in on a Chrysler 300, but that car suits him more than the PT did. I belong to a wonderful PT club and have made so many great friends. What other kind of car could give you so much????
    On my freeway commute, with a 2006 PT base model with automatic and 2700 miles, I am now getting 26 mpg. Apparently the city mileage is so rotten it drags down the overall mileage if you throw in many miles of street driving. BUT, on a 35 mile freeway commute, those freeway miles help a lot and bring the average up to 26.

I think that is OK. Not as great as "pie in the sky" hybrid mileage, but it is much better, for the weight and versatility of this little wagon, than a Ford Focus ZX3 with automatic that I had that returned only 26 mpg on the same commute. The only automatics I have had that did better were a 2004 Neon and a 2002 or 3 Echo that got 30 and 32 mpg respectively. With none of the Cruiser's versatility.
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    My wife had been using her '02 Limited exclusively for local and back and forth work. Used that way I don't think she was getting better than 18 on average. But last Friday she had to make a 190 mile round trip so I filled it with regular and made sure it was topped off completely. When she got back I repeated the topping off to be sure there was no major difference.

What a surprise that turned out to be. The trip was highway except for about 15 miles of it and she got 27.27 MPG. I'll probably check the local milage the same way to see what that yields, but I am very pleased with the results of that trip.
  • hhrguyhhrguy Posts: 3
    I sold my PT cruiser for 3 main reasons. 1) pooor hiway gas mileage 2) small fuel tank (more fill ups on long road trips) 3) Poor turning radius.
    I purchased a new '06 hhr, and it has the 2.4 engine. much more power than the pt, 16gal gas tank, and the best of all was the promise of 30mpg hiway. Our first trip was 2 days after purchase, and it got 27.5 mpg hiway. I thought it might get better when broken in. Boy, was I right! now at 2800mi, we consistently get 34-36 mpg hiway. yea, iI gave up some other comforts,to buy the HHR, (2 extra cup holders, and 1 power outlet), but i don't miss those much. The HHR is a car that will turn on a dime, and give charng, the pick up is as good as the PT, and the HHR is very quite on the road. I relly like not cranking up the cd to drownd out the noise. I have owned both, and my vote goes to the HHR!
  • We got our 02 Limited about a year ago. We just got our best tank - 24 mpg - YaaHoo! I knew the gas mileage would suck, but I didn't think about the range, that's what really sucks. But I love my PT!
  • I'm actually quite upset about the MPG I'm getting.
    I just bought a 2006 base model in November.

I purchased the car not only for it's looks, but it's supposidly good MPG. The sticker says 20/26 City/Highway.

I've been testing it since the day I bought it and I can only get 20mpg from it. I drive 70 miles a day for work. Nearly all Highway but a few miles. I've driven an entire tank at 65mph as well as 70mph, 75mph, and 80mph to see what I can get. 80mph get's me 19mpg while 65/70mpg get's me 20mpg.

I had Chrysler perform a test because I felt the car was not getting the advertised mpg for highway miles. They tested the car at 20.86mpg at 70mph.

I do love the car, but I'm very unhappy with the mpg. Are there any American model cars that get mpg as the Japanese and Korean's do? I don't want to buy one, but curious to know what cars our country produces in this catagory that complete with the foreign cars.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    I have a 2006 Caravan with the same 4 cylinder engine. I have gotten as high as 28 to 30 MPG on the highway if I drive at a constant speed (60 MPH). On a recent 2,500 mile trip I averaged 25 MPG. Maybe the computer is programmed differently between the 4 cylinder Caravan and the Cruiser. Anyhow, it's odd that the Cruiser doesn't get better mileage.
    Same situation here. 2004 and 2006 PT's, 23 mpg on freeway trips; 2006 Caravan SE, 25 mpg on freeway trips with same engine. (The 2006 2.4 in the SE actually satisfied passenger car emissions requirements, too.)

Then again look at the mpg figures for the new Sebring with the new 2.4 "world engine" vs. that same engine in the smaller, lighter Caliber...
  • Hello...

You are getting better mileage than I am believe it or not - I have a 2006 red Touring. I have been tracking the last 10 tanks of gas and averaging 15-17 (sometimes 18) MGP. I manually caluclate the mileage according to miles per trip/gallons in...I'm not a speed demon and go about (sometimes more highway) 50%/50% city/highway. Once I got 22 MPG but that was on a 75 mile trip on nearly all freeway at 65mph.

The service department says this "You aren't driving it right, only under certain circumstances do you get said gas mileage, the emissions are different than other cars, the engine is new, some people are getting that much..."

Survey person called, I said I was unhappy, am planning on selling it and I then got a call from Chrysler...They are going to 'look' at my car. He asked if I would buy another Chrysler and I said "No way, I won't buy another American made car at all."

I too would NOT have bought this car if I knew the gas mileage was this bad. It is too bad, the car is sweeet otherwise. The thechnology is there, it is a flipping 4 cyl car. There is no excuse for poor mpg other than a lousy engine. None.

Thanks for reading this!

Jo.
  • Hello...

You are getting better mileage than I am believe it or not - I have a 2006 red Touring. I have been tracking the last 10 tanks of gas and averaging 15-17 (sometimes 18) MGP...This is crap. I manually caluclate the mileage according to miles per trip/gallons in...I'm not a speed demon and go about (sometimes more highway) 50%/50% city/highway. Once I got 22 MPG but that way a 75 mile trip on nearly all freeway at 65mph.

The serice department says this "You aren't driving it right, only under certain circumstances do you get said gas mileage, the emissions are different than other cars, the engine is new, some people are getting that much..."

Survey person called, I said I was unhappy, am planning on selling it and I then got a call from Chrysler...They are going to 'look' at my car. He asked if I would buy another Chrysler and I said "No way, I won't buy another American made car at all."

I too would NOT have bought this car if I knew the gas mileage was this bad. It is too bad, the car is sweeet otherwise. The thechnology is there, it is a flipping 4 cyl car. There is no excuse for poor mpg other than a lousy engine. None.

Thanks for reading this!

Jo.
  • well i have the opposite experence to share than many of you, while it could use a larger tank, about a month ago we bought my wife a 06 touring with the 2.4L and auto tranny it had 10.7k miles on it. she drives a round trip of 80mi four days a week just to get to school and back, of that it is roughly 50% 4-lane hwy with speeds of 65-70mph, and maybe 3 stop lights each way, the other 50% is 2-lane twisty rural rd avg speed on this is 50-60mph she has to slow down (to turn) or stop 6 times each way (not incl) red lights, and also does a lot (prob close to 150mi a week) of local (we are rural so for us local is less than 15 mi one way) driving also. She has gotten better than 24mpg on every tank she had put in it (87 octane) granted this is during the winter so we dont run the ac much, i expect that to affect the mpg during the summer. we went on a short trip a week ago, about 120 mi round trips, 70% on 4-lane hwy @ aproxx 70mph and i reset the current mpg in the DIC and was amazed to see hwy mpg consistintly at 27.9 mpg. she nor i are easy on a vehicle so i was not expecting this kind of mpg, figured it would be closer to 20. anyway i guess you can chalk me up as plesently suprised at our first "CAR"
  • hojohojo Posts: 6
    I finally got tired of the poor gas mileage, blind spot, and large turning radius. I miss some things about the PT (solid ride, compass, electronics...), but I like getting 30-38 mpg, no blind spot, and being able to make a U-turn on ordinary roads. The Pontiac Vibe (really a Toyota Matrix/Corolla with Pontiac emblem on it) is similar in size and utility to the PT, but almost doubles the gas mileage I used to get with my PT. Now why couldn't Chrysler do better with the mpg? Too bad.

HoJo
  • I bought an '06 PT Turbo convertable right off the lot.
    The odometer was at 00000003!!
    It's fun to drive, but it's getting the worst milage imaginable! It comes with an onboard mpg calculator, so I always know how poorly it performs. Assuming that it's accurate, I'm getting between 15 and 16 mpg. That's combined highway and city. I've never done a full tank on the highway, though I would assume it would get better numbers. I only have 4500 miles on it now. At $3 a gallon, I can only go 215 miles on a tank. Anyone want to buy a great low milage car? :-{
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Posts: 402
    I've always like the PT's, sorry you're getting less than stellar gas mileage.
  • kronykrony Posts: 110
    I've been holding off to post...finally have 1800 miles on my 06 Limited with a 5 speed manual I got the end of December. First tanks have been 19.5, 21.5, 23.5...all in mixed driving but majority of the miles in town. For the tanks all in town it seems like 20-22 mpg is going to be typical for me.

My trip computer is +/- 2mpg consistantly when comparing and reseting at fill up...
  • jorgee7jorgee7 Posts: 2
    i have a 01 pt cruiser with 75,700 miles i get between 280 and 300 miles per tank.( if i drive 65 miles per hr) if i punch it or go faster i will get 230 to 250 per tank. so if you want better milage you must slow down i know it is hard to do but with the price of gas going up,you do what you have to do. i bought this pt used have had it for 6 months and i like the car and love the body.( black on black) bought a used care warrenty from AAA :) :)
  • martin44martin44 Posts: 25
    The Cruiser has been out for 5 or 6 years. It is a small car and should get 25 mpg in city and over 30 on highway. But it doesn't and Chrysler has made no attempt to improve it. Each year the same inefficient engine, the same crummy mileage. This car is the right size for a hybride and I would buy it in a minute if it were. I don't understand it.
  • kronykrony Posts: 110
    I posted this over on the "Changes I'd Like To See in the PT Cruiser" thread...why not a diesel (if not a hybrid)...if Mercedes can do it you'd think the 2.2CRD could be UD worthy...assuming they work as one company... ;)

PT Cruiser 2.4 Limited (Manual)ECONOMY
    Combined Cycle 25.1 mpg
    Extra Urban Cycle 32.3 mpg
    Urban Cycle 18.1 mpg

PT Cruiser 2.2 CRD (Manual) ECONOMY
    Combined Cycle 35.2 mpg
    Extra Urban Cycle 42.0 mpg
    Urban Cycle 27.3 mpg
  • martin44martin44 Posts: 25
    Yes, why not a diesel. Good point.
  • windaddywindaddy Posts: 2
    '02 PT Cruiser Touring w/5spd manual transmission.
    With over 100K miles, I've averaged over 27.5 mpg. I generally drive carefully and set the cruise at the speed limit (usually 65mph). I restrain from jack-rabbit starts while street driving, but I DO autocross the car competitively several times a year. I also am easy on the brakes as I coast down a lot before braking- front brakes last me 60K miles or more. I don't race people just to get to a red light first. If you're wearing out your brakes faster, that means you're accelerating and using more fuel than you have to. Relaxed driving WILL save you 15% or more on your fuel mileage.
  • windaddywindaddy Posts: 2
    Are you holding the button in for the trip computer when you reset it? You have to hold it for several seconds to reset it, otherwise you're just swapping between the two displays (9trip & total mileage).
  • jwelshjwelsh Posts: 19
    I have a 2006 touring model with an automatic trans. The first time I reset the mpg calculator an then went 17 miles on the highway, I got a shade over 30 mpg. After that when I did it again an took the same drive, I got 27 to 28. The onboard calculator averages it since it was reset. So, if you let the car warm up or stop at alot of intersections, it will be less. Being a small "wagon", the mpg isn't that much less than alot of sedans.
  • ladyblueladyblue Posts: 326
    I have a 2004 Limited, automatic with turbo, and I'm getting 23 mpg. That's a mix of highway and suburban driving. I bought it new and now have just under 44,000 miles on it.

I agree with the poor turning radius, but I have no problem with visibility (blind spots?) and I'm not unhappy with the mileage.

Of course, this is coming from someone who drove gas-guzzling full-sized pickup trucks for years, so this peppy little car is nothing but fun, fun, fun!

I'm very sad to say that I'm trading it in, though. Not because I don't love it, but because it's just not suited to the steep, unpaved roads and deep snow of my Adirondack mountain home. I will miss this car.
  • jwelshjwelsh Posts: 19
    I saw an ad on tv where they listed the Ford Escape Hybrid as 34 epg. My Cruiser gets somewhere in the high 20's. That's not too far off from the Hybrid.