Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

Comments

• Options
    ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    The accord should(n't)? have won considering it's price tag.

It did win, I think you meant shouldn't right?

The Sonata tied the Accord from 0-60, but for the 0-100mph test the Accord got 16.6 and the Sonata got 18.2.

must have car
    Isn't it called the "gotta-have-it factor"?
  • Options
    harrybush00harrybush00 Member Posts: 76
    Yes, I know that the '06 Accord sedan can be optioned with a 6MT and a V6, but to me, its more about getting a more nimble and better looking car than the sedan, which I think the coupe offers, along with the Mazda6. The way I see it, the Mazda offers most of what I want with the luxury and convenience of a 4-door sedan form. It also looks (on the outside), perhaps, even better than the Accord coupe. I just think the Accord's interior quality and powertrain offerings are what excites me a bit more at the moment. I was also looking/researching the Acura TSX, but it seems to offer even a bit less power than the Mazda, but maybe even better handling and more sportiness. However, it is a bit hard to justify paying a couple thousand more for the TSX over the Accord V6.
  • Options
    rgyiprgyip Member Posts: 43
    Pretty interesting, considering that both the Sonata and the Accord hit the quarter mile at the same speed and time (~92mph ~15.5 secs). Having driven both, I say probably the higher drag coefficient of the Sonata was starting to catch up on it. The Accord seems to cut through the air easier while the wind you can feel is starting to hold the Sonata back at higher speeds.
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Unlike the Hyundai, Honda has a racing heritage. They don't just piece together other company's ideas into a package and say buy it. You know it when you're passing a guy on I95 at 90mph and the car feels rock solid.

You pay for that feeling with Honda - and most people will.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Sonata tied the Accord from 0-60, but for the 0-100mph test the Accord got 16.6 and the Sonata got 18.2.

That is good to know, the next time I need to accelerate from 0-100 mph, which is, uhmm... never. Actually, I find I need to floor my little 4-cylinder cars to get to 60-65 mph from a dead stop maybe once every couple of years. The 0-60 and 0-100 times are technically interesting, but I wonder how important they are in the real world?

Also, I don't think I've ever needed to get a car up to 90 mph to pass in over 30 years of driving. But that's probably because the max speed limit in my state is 70 mph, and that's only on ex-urban freeways. On two-laners the max speed is rarely above 55.
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    I was also looking/researching the Acura TSX, but it seems to offer even a bit less power than the Mazda, but maybe even better handling and more sportiness. However, it is a bit hard to justify paying a couple thousand more for the TSX over the Accord V6.

The Acura does have less power but it does not handle as well as the Mazda6. The TSX is what the rest of the world gets when they go to a Honda dealer and buy an Accord. Buying one just because of the Acura badge is a big waste of money IMO. Stick with the Accord or 6.

If you really want great performance at about the same price as a loaded Accord V6 coupe check out the MAZDASPEED Mazda6. 270+ HP, AWD, 18" wheels, and handling that makes a BMW feel like a Kia (I'm assuming that last one). Base price is $28,655. $30,585 if you want leather, heated mirrors and seats, some kind of advanced keyless entry and starter.

Here are the specs if you're interested. They should be arriving on select Mazda dealer lots any day now.
  • Options
    chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    I completely agree about the 0-100 times. I do like that the Sonata has the best usuable powerband of the bunch in that test. It's has the most torque down low. Peak power is meaningless to me, stop and go traffic is what most people drive in.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    That is good to know, the next time I need to accelerate from 0-100 mph, which is, uhmm... never. Actually, I find I need to floor my little 4-cylinder cars to get to 60-65 mph from a dead stop maybe once every couple of years. The 0-60 and 0-100 times are technically interesting, but I wonder how important they are in the real world?
    Truth is, more than you might think. It comes in handy to have that extra bit of horsepower or speed when trying to pass that dump truck that is going 55 and dropping rocks all over your new Sonataccord. I would think anything over 200 horsepower in the midsize sedan field should be pretty safe when trying to squeeze into the next lane that is going 20 mph faster. The numbers that I look at more than 0-60 are the "passing acceleration". I believe it is either Motor Trend or C&D that show this, as a 45-65mph (C&D shows a 30-50 and a 50-70, I think, could be wrong). It is a good measure of how quick/efficient the auto tranny is, and how much usable (i.e. not power brake launches) power the car has.
  • Options
    hraohrao Member Posts: 78
    Tried to compile the latest date on Accord and Camry from Honda website, this how they stack up.
    Go to Honda.com use the comparison tool, get the actual MSRP and equivalent competitive Car, Honda also posts the ALG resale values, just get the numbers as well.
    Go to Edmunds and get the NHTSA Safety scores and JDPower IQS and JDS scores
    Go to KBB or Carsdirect.com go get the actual price paid and apply the standard math in a spreadsheet.
    MSRP*Resale Value = Retained Value
    Price Paid-Retained Value = Depreciation.
    Accord really stands out.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    It actually makes a point others have mentioned as well. Even though the malibu (for example) has horrible depreciation vs. the Accord (on a % basis), it actually depreciates less on a $ basis, since it cost so much less to start with!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    First, the Malibu isn't in this discussion. Second, if it were, I'd like to see the comparison with the much more common and more fuel-efficient 3.5L V6, which from some tests (e.g. CR) returns better fuel economy than the 4-banger in the Malibu. Third, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Accord really stands out", unless you mean in a negative way vs. the Malibu. Malibu has equal or superior scores for quality and safety and the lowest cost of ownership of the three cars for both 5 and 10 years.
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Real world interstate driving is done at 80 - 85 in most metro areas in the Southeast. Atlanta, South Florida, Raleigh - and up and down I95, I85, and I20. If you're not going at least that in the fast lane get ready to tee off a lot of drivers.

Many of these roads have a 70 mph speed limit. Having some punch in a fuel efficient 4 cylinder engine (like the Accord's) is a satisfying feel. I like to get to my destination an hour earlier than you.

Also try accelerating from an uphill on ramp onto the interstate where most cars are going 70 and you'll appreciate the extra power. Or in the mountains.

Honda won't leave you feeling disadvantaged for buying a 4 cylinder. Probably the strongest in the industry, and great on fuel.
  • Options
    This is true in Birmingham, Alabama too. Another Southeastern city with urban sprawl. On I-59/I-20/I-65 , Stop and go is more like go and go faster here. I do 75 on my morning commute and 80 in the afternoons, with a sixty mile an hour limit, 4 lanes per side, and im in the middle two, not the fast lane. It is not uncommon to be passed by several 18-wheeler easily going 85. All the more reason to have some extra grunt when you need the get-up-and-go to merge.

I tried to explain to someone in another forum about how an extra 50 horsepower was worth the money to me in a minivan (Odyssey vs. Caravan). He couldn't understand the fact that I am not a race car driver; I just take pleasure in knowing I dont have to worry about merging in front of that speeding truck. I can safely change lanes and both of us be on our way with no sweat. Same is true of the Accords, but with less spread between the competitors, and any of these sedans will handily outrun a Dodge van, and likely the Odyssey.

In a strictly urban route, stick to a 4-cyl, as you will have all the power you need to go 0-20-0-10-40-0 miles per hour. Me, I need some grunt to go 0-80mph uphill in 500 feet everyday!
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Why would Toyota opt to include a Camry XLE V6 instead of the SE V6, knowing it was Car and Driver. Actually, given the new Camry debut is like 5 months away, Im surprised they opted to be include at all? Ford has passed on several comparos recently, according to C/D.

I'd have liked to have seen a Galant GTS as well as G6 GTP included, and Camry SE V6. And wheres the Altima? C/D usually does a better job of putting together the competitors.

~alpha
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I'm dying to see a comparo with the sporty family sedans.

Accord EXV6 6spd
    Malibu SS
    Galant GTS
    Mazda6 S Grand Sport
    Altima 3.5SE (for some reason I don't care for the SE-R)
    G6 GTP
    Camry SEV6.

But I think the point of the comparison was to put the two newcomers up against the "Benchmarks" of this class.

The Camry is the benchmark in a lot of areas, but this generation hardly wins any comparison tests.
  • Options
    03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    "The Acura does have less power but it does not handle as well as the Mazda6. The TSX is what the rest of the world gets when they go to a Honda dealer and buy an Accord. Buying one just because of the Acura badge is a big waste of money IMO. Stick with the Accord or 6."

Strictly your opinion. TSX and 6 are neck and neck in handling, many publications picking the TSX due to its excellent shifter. Yeah, it is a Euro Accord, but is that a bad thing? The reason it is expensive is that it is loaded with almost everything you can think of. And Acura can't make enough of them! However, the one think that a buyer may want to look at is the value of the MZ6, especially with all those hefty discounts (4-5k?).

"If you really want great performance at about the same price as a loaded Accord V6 coupe check out the MAZDASPEED Mazda6. 270+ HP, AWD, 18" wheels, and handling that makes a BMW feel like a Kia (I'm assuming that last one). Base price is $28,655. $30,585 if you want leather, heated mirrors and seats, some kind of advanced keyless entry and starter. "

The Mazdaspeed is a dud. Its heavier than the MZ6 (AWD) and loses out on handling due to this. Its 0-60 times are comparable to the V6 MZ6, in many tests even slower. Nothing special, and the marketplace will demonstrate that. For 30 large, the whole marketplace opens up (325, TL, G35)
  • Options
    Recall the comparo was on V6s.

I'm glad I don't live in those areas, but in the more sane Midwest where people generally respect speed limits, and traveling at the limit in the right lane is common, and respected.

I do have a few uphill freeway on ramps in my town which have stoplights on them :mad: and I don't have trouble merging w/o full acceleration even with my little 2.0L cars. But I suppose if you have a very short ramp, that extra surge of power could come in handy.

I think the Altima's 4-cylinder is stronger than the Accords, however--isn't it 175 hp on the Altima?
  • Options
    I think the Altima's 4-cylinder is stronger than the Accords, however--isn't it 175 hp on the Altima?

It 175 for the accord now too based on the old standard, but the new accord is rated on the new standards, which would likely drop the altima to the accord's 166 hp or thereabouts.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    You're right about the XLE V6. It's a Lame Duck since this configuration will never be built again. But I guess C&D had to do their comparison for this issue so they had to use what was available.
  • Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I totally agree with you. It drives me crazy sometimes when people look at depreciation rates without regard to the original cost.
  • Options
    Has Toyota stopped making '06 Camrys already? How long before the new '07s hit the showrooms?
  • Options

The only time I've ever floored my Accord to about 80-90mph is on an empty stretch. Only did it once... but was that exhilarating ;)

What I find weird is how C&D came out with 7.0 in their test drive, but 6.6 in their comparo.
  • Options
    What I find weird is how C&D came out with 7.0 in their test drive, but 6.6 in their comparo.
    Different conditions, different drivers. Also, if they used different cars, one may be broken in while another isn't; or one may be more abused than the other. Look at your watch and count half a second...its really not that big a difference.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    why is the price paid for the camry $2000 more than the msrp on the chart that was posted?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Look at your watch and count half a second...its really not that big a difference.

Actually half a second can make quite a difference.

Different conditions, different drivers. Also, if they used different cars, one may be broken in while another isn't; or one may be more abused than the other.

Yup. What I found weird is how C&D came out with different 0-60 times. They're usually quite close to eachother, or the same.
  • Options
    The plant in KY has stopped all production for the new retooling. The new '07 which will debut we believe at the Detroit Auto show will start production beginning of Jan for a Mar 1 (?) launch date. Hybrid version later in the summer we understand
  • Options
    rgyiprgyip Member Posts: 43
    Yeah I find the different times weird as well. Both the Accord V6 and Sonata V6 had 0-60mph times of 7.0 seconds the first time they were reviewed by C/D, which both improved identically to 6.6 secs. I thought C/D would had some sophisicated method of measuring times with expensive equipment that takes account to temperature/climate changes that can account to for variations in weather or road conditions. I don't know, I thought by now, they would have a more scientific way of measuring it. For example, adjusting times for a 180lb person driving a perfectly flat fresh asphalt on a 60 degree dry day.

Maybe C/D can time cars consistently but didn't. Maybe they just put in times they have in this comparison test for one to used for relative times between cars?
  • Options
    To be fully realistic tho you also have to look at the real world wholesale/auction values. Trust me there is no free ride on new vehicle discounts. If GM gives away a Malibu or Tahoe with $4000 off or more then the trade in value of all other Malibus on the road drop accordingly and the auction values reflect this real world situation.

The ALG criteria is a convenient barometer for a vehicle when it is first new. But 5 yrs down the road if the residual value is 7000 and the Black Book wholesale value is 5000 noone will trade it in for a $2000 penalty. This is what causes a lot of misunderstanding and tension in vehicle sales.

I find that the Edmunds values on used cars here are pretty close to accurate. e.g. a 2000 Malibu LS cloth, no S/R with 75000 miles is an 'average' vehicle..
    Black Book $3500
    Edmunds
    Trade in.... $3000
    You sell.... $4000

At this time in this market a 5 yr old Malibu is not worth $6300 unless you can sell it yourself and get your buyer to pay you over-market on it. Things might change if GM recovers and the new models get tremendous acceptance. But if the new models are rebadged 2000 LS's this is what you can expect in 2010 also.
  • Options
    there is a big problem with your post. a 2000 malibu never listed for 24k. is was more like 15-16.
    my mother bought an '03 malibu(same style as the '00). listed at 17,700. paid 13,500(plus tax, etc). stick that in your calculator and see how it works out.
    i think the numbers will work out in favor of the hon/toy, but not by a lot.
  • Options
    I have no idea what a 2000 Malibu was going for at that time. I accept that you are correct.
  • Options
    camry's and accords listed for less back in 2000, too. it is difficult to go back 5 years because many vehicles get redesigned more often than that.
  • Options
    harrybush00harrybush00 Member Posts: 76
    I agree with accordman about the TSX vs. Mazda6's handling characteristics. The TSX handles at least as well as the 6. It seems like people in this forum are on top of the publications, so I'm sure a vast majority would agree about the TSX's handling. I do still feel a bit slighted by Acura/Honda because the Accord EX V6 6MT comes with pretty much all of the standard features available in the Acura (things I can think of are longer warranty, better sound system, memory seats, xenons, and Bluetooth, all of which most of us could live without), but at the expense of a whopping 39hp.

The comment about the Mazdaspeed6 losing out on handling because of the higher weight is not very good reasoning. I'm sure the folks at Mazda has retuned the suspension and tightened up the damping rates. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mazdaspeed6 rides very stiff and corners flatter than any of the cars mentioned here. Plus it must have a better weight distribution due to the AWD layout. Of course, then the question is how much is AWD and 270+ hp Mazda worth to people. The Altima SE-R would also be competitive here, if people don't mind that notorious torque steer that is. I think it's also interesting how much discount Mazda is giving on the '05 RX-8s, making it much much cheaper than the Mazdaspeed6.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    If GM gives away a Malibu or Tahoe with $4000 off or more then the trade in value of all other Malibus on the road drop accordingly and the auction values reflect this real world situation.

Doesn't this agree with what Bobw3 was saying? ...look at the price actually paid vs the used car value. Then look at the dollars, price paid and price "returned".
  • Options
    whahappanwhahappan Member Posts: 69
    Actually, C/D does correct for temperature, pressure, altitude (I'm not sure what, if anything, else.)
    The difference could be due to variations from car to car, a stickier test track (more traction, hard to correct for.) They usually are pretty consistent, but sometimes there are rather large differences from test to test with the same car.
    Who knows?
  • Options
    The comment about the Mazdaspeed6 losing out on handling because of the higher weight is not very good reasoning.

That is correct. Mazda will have that thing tuned superbly and none of us should expect anything less.

As for accordman's 0-60 theory, he's probably using old data from a pre-production test where the 0-60 time was in fact not much faster than the base V6. Fact is, Mazda realized it wasn't fast enough so they changed the gearing at the last minute before production. NO ONE has tested it with the new gears yet but Mazda claims 0-60 times right around 6 seconds.

Here are the ratio changes (as posted in the MAZDASPEED thread):
    Old ratios: 3.611(1st-4th), 3.095(5&6th)
    New ratios: 3.941(1st-4th), 3.350(5&6th)
    Gas mileage is now 19 city, 28 highway.

I've never read where the TSX handles as well as the Mazda6 but if you guys did then so be it. I've read that it's a nice car but lacks soul (or was that the TL and RL?). I've never read anything about a Mazda lacking soul.

Anyway, the TSX is plain expensive compared to the V6 Mazda6. A comparo thread between the two was started a while ago and didn't make it very far for that very reason.
  • Options
    I dont know if this has been posted, but it WASNT a comparison test by Car and Driver. It is a comparison test in Motor Trend (which figures- they often test cars agaisnt each other in bizzare/less than ideal configurations). They also DIDNT test a Camry XLE, it was an LE V6. No performance difference, except for probably braking and adhesion, as the XLE wears 16 inch tires and the LE wears 15s. Worth noting, I thought. The Camry's sticker (with std. power seat, ABS, alloys, and I believe, optional moonroof, SAC... was $24,500).

Interesting notes were the Accord's awful last place braking distance (149 feet from 60MPH), and that the 6 speed, 221 horse Fusion was only as quick as the 190 horse Camry in most measures of acceleration (such as 7.2 seconds to 60)

~alpha
  • Options
    Actually, there was a comparison test by Car and Driver. There are some photos posted on the net (C&D forums)

There was another comparison test made by Motortrend that came out with the same rankings.
  • Options
    Wierd.

~alpha
  • Options
    What issue of MT did the comparo appear in? I'm a subscriber and have not seen it yet. The last one I received has the truck/SUV buying guide taking up most of the pages. No Fusion/Accord/Camry/Sonata comparo to be found.
  • Options
    They are owned by the same company. Maybe they decided to save money by doing one comparo and have two different sets of editors report on it.

Nah, they wouldn't do that... would they?
  • Options
    Subscribers sometimes are the last people to see the rag (er, mag). I see them in stores days before I get my copy. :mad:
  • Options
    Toyota May Make Stability Control Standard

The Daily Auto Insider
    Friday, October 28, 2005
    October 2005

Toyota is close to making electronic stability control standard across all its vehicles, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing Irving Miller, group vice president of corporate communications for Toyota.

"We're working on that; we're close," Miller told the WSJ.

While stability control, which uses electronic sensors to selectively apply the brakes of a vehicle to keep it from going out of control, is often standard on luxury vehicles, it is typically an option that costs several hundred dollars on other models, if it is even available.

A federal study said the technology reduced single-vehicle crashes by 67% in SUVs and 35% in cars, and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the research arm of auto insurers, found the technology reduced the risk of being in single-vehicle crash by 56%.
  • Options
    That's great! Then all Toyota would need to do is add standard side bags and curtains and active head restraints to the new Camry to draw even with what the Sonata already offers for standard safety equipment. ;)
  • Options
    Its in the newest (Dec) issue of MT.

alpha
  • Options
    "That is correct. Mazda will have that thing tuned superbly and none of us should expect anything less.

As for accordman's 0-60 theory, he's probably using old data from a pre-production test where the 0-60 time was in fact not much faster than the base V6. Fact is, Mazda realized it wasn't fast enough so they changed the gearing at the last minute before production. NO ONE has tested it with the new gears yet but Mazda claims 0-60 times right around 6 seconds."

you are right, i was referring to the initial tests done by CD/MT. Hopefully mazda has taken care of that.

On the handing part, all mags that tested that version said the regular 6 handles much better than the mzspeed6 (not surprising at all, since the platform is basically a great handling FWD one). suspension tuning does not defy physics; even bmw could not make the 3xi as goog a handler as the rwd 3 series. lets wait and watch once a regular production mz speed6 comes in.
  • Options
    "They are owned by the same company. Maybe they decided to save money by doing one comparo and have two different sets of editors report on it."

Quite the opposite; CD and MT hate each other, and are NOT owned by the same company. i think you got confused with CD and Road&Track(both owned by HFM). MT is owned by primedia.

here's somthing to ponder however; i subs to most auto mags (CD, MT, RT, Autoweek), most of the tests in each issue have have the same cars for that month. probably something to do with the carmaker releasibg a particular model to all mags around the same time
  • Options
    CD always says that they too get slightly different results each time they do the tests, and say many times it depends on the particular car, the break in procedure, miles on the car etc. (CD consistently gets better 0-60 times with a car with around 40k miles, than one that is relatively newer.

what i like most about CD tests is that they also give 5-60 mph figures, for folks like me they make more sense, as i don't usually brake torque every time i take off from a stop light.
  • Options
    "Anyway, the TSX is plain expensive compared to the V6 Mazda6. A comparo thread between the two was started a while ago and didn't make it very far for that very reason"

Actually that thread went quite far, and i had quite an enjoyable time frequenting that forum.

As for cost, the diff between a 6 and a tsx became much heftier after the discounts from mazda. for 2005 model cars, they were discounting 4-5k, and that would make the real world difference close to 6-8k between the two. some posters here even got fully loaded v6 cars for less than 20k. beat that for value
  • Options
    "Interesting notes were the Accord's awful last place braking distance (149 feet from 60MPH), and that the 6 speed, 221 horse Fusion was only as quick as the 190 horse Camry in most measures of acceleration (such as 7.2 seconds to 60)"

i agree, for some reason, hondas usually come last in the braking figures. they really need to step up a couple of notches on this, definitely unacceptable. On brake feel however, they are pretty much at the top.
  • Options
    Yep, right you are--C/D and R&T. That's what I get for multi-tasking. :blush:

They probably both saw this discussion and knew it would be a good comparo. ;)
This discussion has been closed.