Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

Comments

• driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    This year is a little off due to the pricing wars almost all year long. Many companies don't even have 2005 inventory.

In a normal yearly cycle, the incentives at the end of the year are very robust. Two things are mainly going on:
    1. All the new current year inventory is about to become instantly stale. In 2006, does someone want to really say I" drive a new 2005 Whatever-it-is".

2. Dealers are making room for new models that will soon but out. Better to get rid of the inventory before the first of the new year than wait till after and then deal with a new model being advertised and competing with your old model. Remember the G6 fiasco the first couple months. THey had big incentives on the Grand Am, so people were cross shopping the two. No dealer wants that. So the manufacturers push year end drives.

Interestingly, if you find models that are not in demand, and don't care that you are driving a 2005 in 2006, you may sneak away with a great price after the first of the year. The Legacy is running into this problem right now. There is going to be serious deals on 2005s soon. Currently there is $2,000 on the hood. That was introduced in late fall. Late fall through the end of winter, incentives have a way of creeping up.

Then again you and I could be missing each other if we are looking at different model years. I am not completely disagreeing with you. All I am saying is that working as a car broker and knowing the dealers (one works next to me in my new life as a financial analyst)this has been the case.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    (I am actually looking for a car now)

This board does give one the itch to buy. I'll bet your next car is the Sonata LX considering your obvious love for Hyundais.

I considered the EXV6 Accord hard but just splurged for the 06 Acura TL. I love Honda.

Does anyone love Ford? Hasn't Ford burnt a bunch of bridges that no incentive or 'red tag' will overcome?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, you are wrong. I would not buy the LX because I don't need the power of a V6, and I'm not that fond of leather in a car. If I get a Sonata it would probably be the GLS I4.

I am really up in the air as to what and when I will buy. I am very interested in the new crop of small cars that is coming out next year: Accent, Fit, Versa, Yaris. Also the '07 Elantra looks intriguing. Even the new Santa Fe looks like a winner, but it would take quite a vehicle and price to get me into a SUV. The Sonata is still my top choice in a mid-sized sedan, and if there are huge incentives early next year, that is the way I might go. If I could pick up a GLS for under $15k + T&L, that would be hard to resist. But lately I have been thinking about getting a "bridge" car, like a used Elantra, Accent, Civic or the like, and drive it for 1-2 years until all those new cars I am interested in are shaken out (and the crash tests are published and the initial buying panic has subsided).

Decisions, decisions.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Backy, I know it's a long haul from MN to PA or MD, but you might consider Fitzmall and go for the Sonata at not much more than the Elantra was going for locally. Maybe a mini-vacation in a few months when the weather improves a bit?

I flew from CT to south FL in April to save over $1500 on purchase price of '05 Sonata GLS SV. Net savings after plane and driving back about $1200. Local dealer, as you know, will still service car.
    First, I meant THIS year, of course. I'm not used to 2006 yet I guess.

I will be in Las Vegas for 9 days this month (business). I toyed with the idea of looking at the dealers there, who offer incredible deals on the Internet. But their lowest prices require the trade of another Hyundai, which is impractical for me. I can get good deals on Hyundais here in the Twin Cities, which has several dealers, plus in March there will probably be the annual "Auto Show" rebate of $500. So I question whether it would be worth my time to go all the way to PA to buy a car. They would have to do at least $1000 under invoice before rebates, plus not do the "advertising fee" thing, to make it worth my while I think. Is that possible?
  • zen2zen2 Member Posts: 226
    Was "burnt" an ironic pun? Intentional? :)
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Interestingly, if you find models that are not in demand, and don't care that you are driving a 2005 in 2006,

I have always had this approach. most of my new car purchases were when the next years models have come out. Sometimes dealers will practically give them away just to clear out the old merchandise.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Does anyone love Ford? Hasn't Ford burnt a bunch of bridges that no incentive or 'red tag' will overcome?

Oh I don't know, I have owned Fords before and with the exception of my very first (bought used and problems most likely was the result of poor maintenance by the previous owner) all of them performed very well. I will seriously consider the Milan for my next car purchase.

Fitzmall appears to be offering Sonata 4 cyl for $2269 under invoice (including rebates available to all). The 6 cyl's are being offered at $2769 below invoice. They do tack on a $99 doc. fee. I don't think their price includes the owner loyalty rebate.

Check their site. It may be worth your while, maybe not.
  • bokonon1bokonon1 Member Posts: 10
    I agree with snakeweasel. Ford hasn't burnt any bridges with me. In fact, they have won me over as a repeat customer.

I have owned several Fords, as well as a number of other brands. The prior Fords have generally been solid and well-built cars, if somewhat boring, and they all did very well from me. Some of the Japanese cars I've owned have been great (Mazda), some have been middling (Subaru) and some have not been so good at all (ahem, Nissan).

There is no magic here with the country of origin. I think it really comes down to individual products, engineering and build quality that a company is producing at a particular time, not ten years ago. The Fusion and Milan strike me as being very well designed and executed cars. I love the way they look and perform, and actually prefer their dynamics to the competition (like the much-touted Honda Accord). So I will definately think about getting another Ford.

Cheers!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Do I think the price of a Fusion will be down to 18k with a 250hp V-6? Absolutely.

Sidebar: How long will Ford wait to finish this engine? In 2003 they had planned to put this 3.5 into the Freestyle and Five Hundred. It is now 2006, and not one Ford has this engine in it yet...Just thinking out loud, and if anyone has info on this, post it please!

Back to the Rebates...

Hyundai has the Ford beaten in quality FWIW and is pretty much the price leader, with GLS V-6s in Birmingham going for under $19,000 now. Throw in the fact that Hyundai's warranty is better than Ford's and the dealer network is steadily growing. Ford has to do something to keep up! I don't deny the fact that the Fusion is a big leap for Ford, but it isn't a big enough jump AHEAD of the benchmark to make rebate pricing a thing of the past. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see V-6 Fusions for $17,990 in The Birmingham Newsby this fall, to be honest.
  • ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    Amazing stuff. Go to the Subaru board and you'll see kamikazee loyal Subies. I guess same could be said for all the other brands, except you don't hear much from Fordies. I guess you're the one.

Put me down for membership in the Honda/Acura club, but man, there are so many nice cars out nowadays you almost can't go wrong buying anything.
  • opirus1opirus1 Member Posts: 9
    Sonata sold 20,853units over the Altima(18,000units)
    and Accord and Camry sold about 33,000 and 25,000units...
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    December 2005:

Camry: 33,324
    Accord: 26,370
    Sonata: 20,853 :surprise:
    Altima: 18,448
    Fusion: 7,568
    Milan: 2,111

2005 Total:

Camry: 431,703
    Accord: 369,293
    Altima: 255,371
    Sonata: Anyone have the numbers?
    I believe the figure of 130,365 was quoted on the Sonata board.

I have already seen V6 Fusions advertised by my local dealers for under $18k. But then, one local Hyundai dealer routinely advertises V6 GLS Sonatas for $16,999 with the loyalty rebate but before the financing rebate--so almost anyone (with decent credit) can get one for $17k, and Hyundai owners can get one for $16k.
    No need to be :surprise: about the Sonata jump in sales. This car is some value and then add in the rebates.

Sonata is closing the gap, but we wil have to see what happens with the new Camry's & Accord's.

Don't forget the Sonata year end figures include 5 to 6 months of the "old" style, like the one I bought in April plus any additional '05's sold unti they were gone.

The '06 didn't really start to take off until sometime around Sept. I would expect any new model or completely revised model would take a few months for sales to ramp up. To be fair to the Fusion, give it another month or so to see how sales are doing.
  • petejayhawkpetejayhawk Member Posts: 1
    My first visit to these boards...I find it extremely puzzling how defensive Honda/Toyota owners are. What can it possibly matter to you how good or bad a 2006 Sonata is? As the proud owner of a 2004 Accord coupe (Ex, V6, etc - yeah I overpaid to get leather and a navigation system, I'm a superficial SOB, deal with it), I wish Hyundai all the best. I have no financial stake in any auto company. Why should I care if Hyundai is starting to flex its considerable muscles as a player in the market? You guys act as if you own Honda/Toyota. Having Hyundai as a legit player only serves to push Honda/Toyota etc. to constantly strive for improvement, a dynamic which should be welcomed from all corners.

For the record, I love my Honda (caveat: I also love my work driver, a 1993 Saturn SL2. It was my car through college and in the words of the 1982 Chevette ads, it works). But when it comes time to buy my new toy in a couple years, I will happily test drive a Hyundai (assuming that management has not, by that point, recognized my genius and promoted me to a position that allows me to buy an overpriced European sports sedan).

May the best car win. Puffing out one's chest in defense of a brand for no other reason than to justify one's purchase, at the expense of rational analysis, is a bit juvenile.
    Even if you get the promotions in a couple of years, you'll probably want to search the market(otherwise you wouldn't be smart enough for the promotions). Unless you're in a high powered status conscious type job, you might very well decide on something other than an overpriced European sports sedan.

Plus, who knows what will be available from Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford etc in a couple of years. (look at how quickly SUV's took a dive.)
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The reason for the sudden jump in sales wasnt so much the model '06 vs '05 but rather they began shipping from the new Ala plant in Sept Oct. rather than importing. It should at least double their volume.
    who knows what will be available from Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford etc in a couple of years.

I think you're right on with this. Sonata has found some footing in a sector that has obviously evolved and matured over the years and is now full of choices. But in a couple years the market could be changing towards crossovers or another SUV type, or something we don't yet know about. The baby boomers took us through this sales growth in the CamCord thing, but with their aging and other changing demographics of car buyers, the market can quickly change.

I can't imagine Honda and Toyota are banking on this market to carry the companies for the next 15 years, as Hyundai seems to be doing. The world is changing.

Ford and GM could actually be players then.
    I can't imagine Honda and Toyota are banking on this market to carry the companies for the next 15 years, as Hyundai seems to be doing.

Why do you say that? Hyundai introduced an all-new SUV a little over a year ago. They are rolling out an all-new Santa Fe and a large SUV this year, plus a six-passenger crossover vehicle and a minivan (on the Sonata platform and with the Azera's engine), and are rumored to have a pickup in the wings. They just brought out an all-new subcompact and will introduce the hatchback version and hybrid variant this year. An all-new compact sedan is due this fall. Clearly, Hyundai is not banking on the mid-sized sedan market to carry them for the next 15 years.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The second baby boomer group is just coming into maturity now ( I've heard that it's actually bigger than my gen ). The first change youre seeing is here already.

Scion, Fit, Yaris, Versa. These are directed right at this group. It's also a whole new way of doing business as well.

A loaded base model but everything else is accessories.. plug-n-play if you will. Actually when this Gen gets to 'family building age' their needs will change again... vans, family sedans, crossovers, hybrids, ultra FE.
    Hyundai's Sonata is the only vehicle in their line-up that has mass appeal. Elantra sales were down in the fall and the Santa Fe sales weren't great. A Hyundai pickup will be scoffed at - the small pickup market is basically dead. Large SUVs are a needed, but dying, breed.

I don't see any Accents around here. Hyundai hopes to be another Toyota but the road is long, and a couple good models won't sustain them. Altho the SK government will probably come in again and bail em out.
    Elantra sales were down in the fall

It might be due to the fact that the Elantra will be getting a makeover and that people may be waiting for the next generation.

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I dont think so. Most people are as automotive-ly educated as those that post on these threads, and trust me, no dealer is going to be saying "why dont you wait 9 months until the new model debuts?"

Also, I find it interesting that theres all this talk of the sales figures. For me, Ive said it before, and I'll repeat it- since that doesnt break out fleet from individual sales, those numbers are intersting but dont provide the whole picture. Sure the Sonata is doing well, but I felt I saw a lot of them in the rental lots on my recent travels to Baltimore, Birmingham, Dallas, and Houston... PLUS, I'm litterally stunned at the incentive level Hyundai is already using on this vehicle. Its a great car, I wish the company wouldnt do this (and keep down already marginal resale values).

~alpha
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Sure the Sonata is doing well, but I felt I saw a lot of them in the rental lots on my recent travels to Baltimore, Birmingham, Dallas, and Houston

I saw two Sonata's with the Enterprise sticker on the back. I saw one on the highway, and one in my neighborhood.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Doesn't the initial price paid for a vehicle count? or the options/price paid for options count? Much of resale is pure stigma and reputation. When consumers see they don't have to pay the extra $$ for a good quality, reliable, safe vehicle.. what then?
    I wouldn't call me a Ford "lover" But I too have owned Ford products and they have all served me well. I now own an 01 Escape XLT 4WD V6 with almost 70,000 trouble free miles. So, I will go look at the Fusion. I have no reason not to. But, I will not limit my choices. ;)
    I know that those in sales prefer to have sales as quick as possible. But as a car buyer I would tend to be more incline to wait if I knew the car I wanted was going to be getting some upgrades in the next model year.

The Elantra was Hyundai's biggest seller before the '06 Sonata, but let's face it, the current Elantra is six years old. Plus it was in short supply on dealer lots at the end of 2005--which is why the rebates all but disappeared on it. I think the all-new model this fall will spark renewed interest. Also, the Santa Fe has been a big seller for Hyundai, but it too is in its sixth year. The all-new model looks like a winner from what I have seen and heard. The new Accent is just now rolling into dealers.

It looks like Hyundai is in a can't win situation in this discussion. If they put too much on the Sonata, they are accused of focusing too much on the mid-sized car segment. If they pour lots of new designs into the marketplace (which they are actually doing), they are accused of producing vehicles no one wants.

Here is a question for you: should we accuse Honda of focusing too much on small cars (not a big market), since their only new model during 2006 will be the Fit, which will sell in low volumes at a low price?
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    "Hyundai's Sonata is the only vehicle in their line-up that has mass appeal. Elantra sales were down in the fall and the Santa Fe sales weren't great. A Hyundai pickup will be scoffed at - the small pickup market is basically dead. Large SUVs are a needed, but dying, breed.

I don't see any Accents around here. Hyundai hopes to be another Toyota but the road is long, and a couple good models won't sustain them. Altho the SK government will probably come in again and bail em out."

Elantra and Santa Fe are in their last year. Accent just came out.

Yeah, considering how they've been doing in the past few years, it looks like the Korean gov't is going to have to bail them out. Sales went from 164,190 in 1999 to only 455,012 in 2005. And redesigned models are just beginning to role out:

2006 Accent
    2006 Sonata
    2006 Azera
    2007 Elantra
    2007 Santa Fe
    2007 EN
    2007 Entourage

Man, the future looks terrible for this company. Global sales are really stinking too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4574646.stm

The Sonata is an important car, but only part of the puzzle.
    So... if the US government decides to 'take over' Ford and GM, the sales of USA Motors goes from what , zero to 5 million in a calendar month that's a success too?

You can pat Hyundai on the back all you want - they're improving - but their negative reputation will haunt them. Look at all these incentives. Can't they stand on their on laurels?
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Hm, I bet if the US gov't "took over" Ford and GM, their sales would fall even faster.

Anyways, the SK gov't never "took over" or bailed out Hyundai. The SK gov't did order the Hyundai conglomerate to break up and divest some holdings.

In any case, government's try to help out their own companies all the time. An example would be the Japanese gov't artificially holding down the value of the yen to help car and other exports.

Here you go Hyundai, "pat pat pat". Good job. :D

Less established companies charge lower prices whether via incentives or lower MSRP, until they become more established. The first Japanese cars were cheap as hell.
    They can stand on their laurels, but too many people (like you for instance?) have a negative opinion of the company based on the past. It will take some time--and incentives--to get past that.
    the SK gov't never "took over" or bailed out Hyundai.

Its the other way around. Hyundai used to run the government - probably still does to a large degree. But Hyundai's obvious major governmental support is a plus for car buyers since the prices on a Hyundai are almost laughable compared to CamCord. No wonder Sonata sales are up. Seems inevitable that the prices will go up, but for now Sonata is a heck of a value.
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    Hyundai's success in Korea is crucial to their economy, whereas GM's and Ford's success here is viewed apathetically by most in the US.

The Sonata is a better car than a Hyundai of a decade ago. Too bad it's just plain BORING looking. But the 06 Accord ain't much better looking. The Accord's interior is high def, but the exterior re-style? PAddles / clear ! Honda's going backwards in the exterior style department with the new Accord - is this the same company that cranked out the great looking Civic?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Next month's Consumer Reports will include tests of the Fusion and Sonata. I'm guessing we'll see 4s and V6s tested for each.

(Also tested next month will be the Passat, as well as Dodge Charger and Chevy Impala... hopefully in multiple versions of those as well).

~alpha
  • blnewtblnewt Member Posts: 27
    Stying opinions really vary alot on this car. Every time I look at our '06 Sonata GLSV6 I just think it looks "classy". Not over the top w/ loud grills or white-out lens covers, plastic cladding, etc.

Similar to Audis styling cues, maybe a bit on the vanilla side but a nice overall package~but that's just my opinion (still not bored, lol)
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I'm a very conservative person, and this mantra impacts my automobile purchases. What have I owned over the last twenty years? A 1985 SAAB 900 (still own), a 1990 Honda Civic (sold), and a 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan ES (still own). That's it for the last twenty years, excluding my kids' cars! Conservative, and Scotch, plus I always pay cash, hence I never have a car payment. I buy them the old-fashioned way, I save up over time for the purchase.

I just bought a 2006 Elantra GLS 4-door sedan for my wife as a Christmas gift for a little over $13,500 after tax, title, and license, and although it's the older platform, it's also debugged and thoroughly tested. Actually, there are some advantages to buying the last year of a production model. Most, if not all, of the kinks were worked out years ago. And, like Backy, I personally like the interior and dash of the Elantra - so what if some consider it dated!

The next step in our plan is to purchase a Sonata next Fall or early Winter. I've test driven all models and engine combinations, rented a GLS V6 from Hertz, and I would love to own the V6. But, I think I would prefer the Inline-4's better fuel economy and cheaper maintenance over the long haul. Any V-designed engine is a royal pain to work on compared to an Inline-4 design. If you don't keep a car very long, or have the dealer perform all of the maintenance, the aforementioned statement is rather moot.

I spent over 9 months looking, driving, and scrutinizing Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Hyundai. The decision to go with Hyundai, especially the Sonata decision, was not based on price, rather overall value for the money (a difference), but most importantly, the Hyundai's fit-and-finish, panel matching, consistencing of seam gaps, i.e. everything that points to overall quality construction, is just as good on the Sonata as the Japanese makes. If you set an Accord, Camry, Altima, and Sonata next to each other, and carefully critique the interior and exterior fit and finish on a weighted average basis, the Sonata doesn't take a back seat to any of them, with the exception of the high-end Accords.
    I think you and I think a lot alike in how we evaluate cars to buy. For example, I don't care if some people think the dash of the Elantra is a little dated. It's ergonomic, simple, and has lots of padded surfaces (unlike a lot of new cars these days). And I think the I4 on the Sonata is just fine for a family car that will never see a dragstrip--but will see a lot of gas stations.
    My mother and I just took a trip to the Alabama Gulf Coast (that hit by Ivan, fyi) to their condo this weekend. On the trip down I drove 257 miles and filled up with 7.053 gallons of regular BP. That is 36.43 mpg for my all-highway trip with the cruise set to 75 mph. I accelerated to 85 or so three times, twice to pass someone unsafe, a third time to pass an "Oversize Load" doublewide trailer. On the return trip today, traffic was heavier, and I couldn't use the Cr. Ctrl., but still got 35.55 mpg (241 miles, 6.780 gals).

This is my first trip in my 2006 Accord EX 4-cyl Automatic, and wanted to share the results. I am impressed, as I expected under sticker results given the speed (75+ mph), temps (40 or so), and relatively fresh (2,500 miles) engine.

I know this might be a bore to most, but it proves to me that I did the right thing getting the 4-cyl model, as 166 hp is more than enough to zip past dump trucks dropping rocks!

thegrad

PS: I managed 32 mpg around town, where the speed is generally 50mph or so with several traffic lights. I made sure to fill up right near the interstate to determine strict highway mileage.
  • zen2zen2 Member Posts: 226
    Hmmm, are you trying to justify paying 8000 bucks more
    than a Sonata GLS 4 because you get a few more miles
    to the gallon? Or did you just pull up the wrong forum?
  • pcs15394pcs15394 Member Posts: 27
    w9cw - well said. I have the Sonata LX and before buying the vehicle was having a tough time thinking of a quality Hyundai. I have owned many makes/models and have found the build quality in my Hyundai much better than that of the Nissan I traded in on it. Plus the looks are really growing on me. Classy but not over the top.
  • jojoejojoe Member Posts: 81
    .....and the 2006 Sonata in these eyes is a beauty.There is no need to justify why you like it,or why you think it is good looking.If it is what you like and it suits your needs with the styling you like,then the 2006 Sonata is for you.If it is not,well thats ok too,everyone has different needs and different ideas on what looks good.Just look at your gal friend or wifes,do they all look the same? Oh but we do dream........
    My mother and I just took a trip to the Alabama Gulf Coast (that hit by Ivan, fyi) to their condo this weekend. On the trip down I drove 257 miles and filled up with 7.053 gallons of regular BP. That is 36.43 mpg for my all-highway trip with the cruise set to 75 mph. I accelerated to 85 or so three times, twice to pass someone unsafe, a third time to pass an "Oversize Load" doublewide trailer. On the return trip today, traffic was heavier, and I couldn't use the Cr. Ctrl., but still got 35.55 mpg (241 miles, 6.780 gals).

This is my first trip in my 2006 Accord EX 4-cyl Automatic, and wanted to share the results. I am impressed, as I expected under sticker results given the speed (75+ mph), temps (40 or so), and relatively fresh (2,500 miles) engine.

I know this might be a bore to most, but it proves to me that I did the right thing getting the 4-cyl model, as 166 hp is more than enough to zip past dump trucks dropping rocks!

thegrad

PS: I managed 32 mpg around town, where the speed is generally 50mph or so with several traffic lights. I made sure to fill up right near the interstate to determine strict highway mileage.

Hmmm, are you trying to justify paying 8000 bucks more
    than a Sonata GLS 4 because you get a few more miles
    to the gallon? Or did you just pull up the wrong forum?

Noone is trying to justify anything thank you very much. I'd like you to point out in my post where I mentioned Hyundai's mileage, or any other car for that matter. I was just mentioning a merit of the Accord 4-cyl versus the V-6. Seems like you are eagerly looking for a bone to pick with a Honda owner. Well, this Honda owner isn't looking for a fight with a Hyundai owner, sorry to let you down. I was merely stating that the Accord has mileage figures worth looking into, and the EPA figures are DEFINITELY achievable in it.

Start a fight with someone else, I have no justifying to do, I'm perfectly happy. More road trips to come!

PS: I'm not sure where your $8,000 more that I supposedly paid comes in. My car was $21,400 OTD. Can a Sonta be had in GLS form with 6-disc CD-changer, power moonroof (standard features on my EX) et.al. for $13,400?
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "The Sonata is a better car than a Hyundai of a decade ago. Too bad it's just plain BORING looking."

The only color I like on the new Sonata is black. It looks great in black I think.

"But the 06 Accord ain't much better looking. The Accord's interior is high def, but the exterior re-style? PAddles / clear ! Honda's going backwards in the exterior style department with the new Accord - is this the same company that cranked out the great looking Civic?"

The Civic just came out. The Accord is a few years old despite the 2006 refresh. To go further into it Honda went bland with the 01 Civic and went way too plain with the 03 Accord restyling. They hit it right with the new Civic Coupe though!
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "The 06 Accord is a fine vehicle, but its restyle isn't that great. I want a car with some flair and expect to mechanicals to be there. The Fusion does look nice but who knows about the mechanicals. Don't see many of them at all either. May have to go to the TL sector to get what I'm looking for."

What about the Mazda 6 which the Fusion is based on? Its in its fourth year of bodystyle.
    The decision to go with Hyundai, especially the Sonata decision, was not based on price

Why else are people buying Hyundais? Cause they're priced much lower than the competition. If they were priced at what the others in this sector are priced at then they wouldn't sell nearly as many. Look at the rebates. Panel matching? Even my employee's Suzuki Reno has good panel matching.

My point is the majority of Hyundai purchasers are attracted mainly by the lower price. I was.
    I agree. The 6 is a nice package. Not too sure of the Ford engine in it tho. The previous Fords I've owned all had the smell of leaking coolant in the engine compartment.
    My point is the majority of Hyundai purchasers are attracted mainly by the lower price. I was.

Maybe you are using the terms "price" and "value for the money" interchangably. If people just want to buy on price they can buy a stripper base model of any brand. If they want the most value for the money they pay, many will opt for a Sonata. [A friend is quite interested in the Azera. I told him he should take a serious look at a loaded Sonata LX for about $7K less. Sonata obviously has a lower price, but value for the buck is subjective.]

Don't we do this in our purchases every day? One store sells a can of soup for $1.50, a store 50 feet away sells the same can of soup for $1.20. Which store would you go to to buy the can of soup? If both stores sell at $1.50, the store which had been lower in price would obviously lose sales to its, formerly higher priced competitor.
This discussion has been closed.