Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

Comments

• ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    Maybe that's why I didn't like the black interior of the Accord EX I drove, with its mouse-fur interior. Did the fabric change for '06 on the Accord?

Nope. I just came back from a visit to the Honda dealer and sat in an 06. It has the same seat material. I actually dont mind the mouse-fur feel. But after having leather, I don't think I can go back to having fabric.
  • exactly. Ford has made a very, very, very good vehicle in the Fusion. It is for those who would like a little style with their substance. The grille with all the chrome is done very nicely and I think it will go over well with Americans once they get a nice look at it.

It's true, I rented an '05 Camry in eastern Idaho a couple months ago and, although the car is put together well and drives nicely, it is so mundane looking it isn't funny. Toyota best be doing some decent body designing on that thing. It looks horrid.

It sounds like the Fusion will drive well when pushed, and will ask to be pushed harder. A sporty kind of rig. Ford has priced it fairly competitively, too.

I was reading Car and Driver and their comparo of these four cars, and from just a looks standpoint the Hyundai Sonata stands out very nicely. The one in jet black looks great with its foglights on.

Ford designers prefer the black Fusion and it does look good. It would be between the red and the black if I were to spring for a Fusion. The 4-cyl.5-speed is available and that is good-that's the one I'd go for.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• Absolutely wrong , false and untrue. The Fusion is a released to compete head-on with the camCords. What niche? Ford doesnt have the time and resources anymore to do a half a?? midsize car. You read news lately? You think Ford is eyeing just for the niche market? They failed again and accept that. I would be caught dead and alive in a Ford. All of them. Dont wanna get gilled alive.
  • Now don't hold back, what do you really think about Ford? :D
  • driverdmdriverdm Posts: 505
    I'm wrong? Oh really. Go back to when Ford debuted the Fusion. Edmunds has a video for it that clearly states that it was built as a driver's car. That's the first thing. Secondly, marketing wise it does cater to a specific "niche" buyer. Ford has openly stated it is going after a younger demographic for the car that puts an emphasis on style and distinction. Do you know better than those who built the car? Look at the advertising and tell me again I am not telling the truth.

Now for your other comments. It would be wise for Ford to cater to a younger, more driver orientated niche. These are members of the Y generation. They are only out numbered by the Baby Boomer generation which are graduating to more expensive cars. One of Toyota's main problems is that young people simply refuse to buy them. By young I am not talking 18 year olds, I am talking the 25-35 year old crowd. If Ford can grab these people's interest, and give them a product that will gather some brand loyalty, that would be a smart move. Also you can get an old man to buy a young man's car, but not the other way around.

I have read the news. Ford is having some woes... but not with the Fusion. It is actually off to a fast start. They have the Edge on the way next year which is very good and a new more competitive engine and tranny.

I will say this. Ford needs to pull out all the stops. That is where I see their biggest flaw is. Tune that 3.5 to be the most powerful engine in its class, put in a manu shift six speed tranny, and put the safety equipment as standard. Aim squarely to be number one in something that matters to people. The real claim to fame for the Fusion right now is styling. That's a good start but we need more.

If I had to buy a Fusion, it would be a redfire red one, with the black on beige interior, SE V6 (or perhaps 4 banger. I would then go to the aftermarket and get the Milan's Mahogany Wood for the front console and door panels. Just thinking about it gives me the shivers. :)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Ok, ok, calm down... maybe take a cold shower. :)
  • Driver's car? Niche car? If I wanted to buy a driver's car I would buy a smaller one and a RWD. I suppose Ford has the extra money to throw into RD millions just so that they can satisfy 5% of the market. Who said that only 0ld people want to drive a Toyota ( 35+ old)? I'm not old and I drive 2 Toyota's. What does it tell you? Youre talking out of your a??. Niche car? I dont believe so. If they are, they could have just keep the Mazda 6 dimension but instead they made it bigger because that's one of the reason the 6's is not selling well. Well then if you say so, if Ford is swimming in money and she doest want revenues/sales ( like Ford is doing well) then go ahead treat the Fusion as 'niche car". Well then what's it niche about? Certainly not a driver's car, its engine even with a V6 certainly doesnt say "I'm a driver's car".
    By the way where in the he?? did you get that 25-35 years old? This is the problem. You know why Toyota is doing well? They dont do assumptions. If you see their line up, there is nothing to get exicited about, but they are selling well. Renault is similar.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    It is for those who are bored with a Camcord and want driving dynamics.

Absolutely wrong with this statement. Maybe for the Camry with its soft ride. But have you ever driven an Accord? Its got a racing heritage and the car feels like it should be on a track somewhere. Tighter handling than the Camry and more road feel.

When you see the Focus lowered and rimmmed and punked (like a million Hondas) then maybe its "dynamics" will be validated. But you can't just make a car and gain instant credibility and acceptance, which is what Fusion is trying to do. BTW haven't seen one on the road yet.
  • Let me repeat that again. :D I dont wanna get caught driving a Ford, dead or alive. If I'm alive, I dont wanna get grilled with barbecue sauce alive. If I'm dead, I dont wanna get creamated in a Ford. Advice for people who's planning to buy a Ford Fusion, dont park it in the garage.
  • I am sticking to my original statement "the Fusion will be #1 in 3 years". I think the American public wants to buy American. Just by Fusion being competitive is enough to make some folks close the deal. Honda has a nice product but it's over priced and bland. In this day and age when everyone wants to pimp their car; Fusion is smack in the middle of a pimpout ride and a family sedan. Parents with teenage kids will split the difference and go with Fusion. GM is on the way down but Fusion will put some excitement back into the American buying public.
    Why do some of you people hate Ford so much? I have had a 99 Contour Se for 4 years without a single problem and believe me when in say I drive this baby hard. I am not saying Ford has been stella. I think they are on the right track unlike GM.
    #1 sport coup - Mustang
    #1 selling SUV - Explorer
    #1 pickup truck - F150
    pretty soon Fusion will be joining this lineup
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    These car companies know who buys the most cars, and it ain't in the 25 - 35 age bracket. They position to the 40-50 year olds.

Do your research before throwing out your college paper online. These car companies do. They also know the 4 cyl will sell 4x as many as the 6 cyl. Again dashing your seat of the pants automobile marketing proposition.

Ford has to bring the 4 cyl. out now - or the Fusion will be doomed to the average car pile. They're not in the game yet in this highly competitive sector (not a niche).
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,680
    Time will tell if it will be #1, if ever. Lots of competition there with some mighty loyal buyers. The main problem Ford will have with the Fusion is that for about the same $ you can get the Mercury Milan. I configured the high end I-4 (because I want a stick) for both cars with the accessories I wanted and according to edmunds the sticker and invoice prices for the Milan was $26 and $285 more respectively and the TMV price was actually $445 less than the Fusion.

With everything the Milan has over the Fusion why get the Fusion if the Milan costs practically the same?

Ford either priced the Fusion to high or the Milan to low.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• Fusion/Milan same package different packaging. I too like the Milan but feels more of an emotional connection with the Fusion.
  • # 1 in in what? Recall?
    "Fusion is smack in the middle of a pimpout ride and a family sedan."

What the ? This is hilarious! :D
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,680
    While close they are not exactly the same package. It has been reported here that the Milan uses higher quality material inside, plus it comes with far more standard equipment. Also the sales lady at the local mercury dealer mentioned to me that the Milan has stronger doors than the Fusion.

All that at the same price puts Milan on my list and drops the Fusion off.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    "All that at the same price puts Milan on my list and drops the Fusion off."

Like the hottie in the commercial says, "You gotta add Mercury to your list."
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    I had a '95 Mystique. I refer to it as the Mystake. It was in the shop much of the first six months I owned it for various problems and recalls. But it did have good ride and handling--hmm, kind of like the Fusion. That was my first Ford. It will probably be my last Ford.
  • Has anyone posted this yet?

Vehicles made by Hyundai Motor Co., Honda Motor Co., DaimlerChrysler AG and Subaru of America Inc. earned top honors in new crash tests of sport utility vehicles, minivans and sedans. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration gave five stars Monday in front and side-impact protection to the Hyundai Sonata sedan and Tucson SUV, Honda Odyssey minivan, Mercedes-Benz ML Class SUV and Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/21/AR2005112100955.html

Now can we all agree that the Sonata is as safe as anything else on the road? :)
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    The NHTSA tests are not the standard to by which you should judge vehicles. In fact the test are the easiest in the world. They even state that they have to redo their side impact test to conform more to real conditions.

The IIHS tests are more difficult and in fact are more similar to those used in the rest of the world, including the inhouse testing done at MB, BMW, Toyota etc. Go to the IIHS website to see what the differences are.

It doesnt mean that the vehicles are poor performers it's just that the NHTSA test doesnt measure real world conditions real well. The IIHS tests on the other hand have real world uses. It's on these tests that Allstate, GEICO, USAA etc base their premiums..not the NHSTA tests. The IIHS tests put more stress on the vehicles and the occupants inside.
  • ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    To add to what kdhspyder said, NHTSA ratings only includes forces towards the thorax and pelvis even though head injuries cause the most deaths in real world side impact crashes. Also, like kdhspyder said The IIHS tests put more stress on the vehicles and the occupants inside. The barrier does not strike the dummies head, it is too short to actually stimulate a SUV/Pickup hitting the vehicle.

I would wait for IIHS to come out with its results.
This discussion has been closed.