Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

Comments

• webby1webby1 Posts: 209
    From Canadian side.....I purchased the Accord SE V6 couple weeks ago for my wife. The Accord was $3, 000 more than the Sonata, however comparing apples with apples I priced a Sonata GL V6 with sunroof. Both cars were close with options and HP ( Honda slightly more HP but not a factor ) however Accord has power seats ( driver ) , VSA and TCS system.
    Also, checked the resale values 3 and 4 yrs from now and that is where Accord shines. The difference on both cars was approx $4,000 resale value. I am sure Sonata is a great car but I went with proven record and a little more car.
    Plus, my wife loves the look of the new Accord and hates the looks of the old ones
    Regards,
    Webby
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,728
    Is that all in Canadian dollars?

Here it's a little different picture, in trim names and prices. The invoice on an Accord LX V6 is $23,141 (all figures USD), and on a Sonata GLS V6 with Premium Sport Package is $21,213--so only about $1900 difference. But there's a $1000 general rebate, a $1000 HMFC rebate, and $1000 loyalty rebate on the Sonata. So for someone like me who already owns a Hyundai, it's more like a $5000 difference. That is major money, especially if either car could satisfy someone's needs.
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    What - do you want him to take the car back?

I understand the mindset in buying a Honda. Sonata's a nice car, but I can't see putting it ahead of the Accord. Don't care about a few bucks when it comes to a long term commitment that a car brings.

Drooled over a EXV6 today in carbon bronze. Salesgal couldn't find the key for it, left me standing around staring at the car for 15 minutes, never came back. Crazy. Got my CU financing all lined up and my quote from USAA for insurance. Good closer coulda had me.
    No, I wasn't telling anyone to take his car back. I was just explaining that the dollar difference can be a lot more than $3000 CAN, depending on circumstances. Personally I think $5000 is more than a few bucks, but that's me. Everyone needs to buy what they like. Me, I'd take the Sonata GLS (silver or maybe tan) and use the extra money for other things. But if you have that "Honda itch", only a Honda will scratch it.
    Yes...it is in Can funds.
    I am not aware of any rebates on Sonata other then special financing in Canada.
    Regards,
    Webby
    FYI....it is Carbon Bronze Pearl...wife was not sure at the beginning but loves the color now.
    We have been driving Hondas since 1975 and the Accord won it's category 20 yrs at of 25 and 9 yrs in a row, is bullet proof so it not easy to go with a newcomer ( Sonata ) although it is getting a lot of attention.
    Regards,
    Webby
  • Completely agree with you. The reason I quoted MSRPs was because you had mentioned MSRP comparisons.
  • negativenegative Posts: 107
    I'd bet ya Ford has burned more people on this comparo than all the other entrants combined - including me.

I'd bet you'd bet right. My '85 Ford Tempo tried to kill me several times, with bucking and stalling, until I made the wise decision in 1991 to dump it for a Camry. 1985 was the first year for fuel injection in that car, which Ford decided to sell even though they hadn't yet figured out what fuel injection was. Every part related to the fuel system in the car was replaced at least once.

Back when it was made, Ford's big advertising theme was "Quality is Job 1." Remember that? The ad campaign seemed so earnest and honest that you almost believed it. But the reality was very different.

Now the conventional wisdom is that Fords really have gotten better, in spite of more recent headaches like the Focus and Escape. With the Fords having only a 3-year/36,000-mile warranty, I'd rather take my chances with Hyundai.

It may be more than fourteen years since I got rid of the Tempo, but I haven't forgotten all the time, money and misery it cost me.
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Posts: 170
    the Accord won it's category 20 yrs at of 25 and 9 yrs in a row

What's important is that it won in your garage. Its nice to hear the accolades and nods from the car rags, but those are certainly just opinions. The real test is the perception of the car by you and the guy that buys it from you later. Sonata is the newcomer and has to be priced lower to gain a foothold in this sector. Hyundai seems willing to lose money selling them at the low end to do so. Honda makes money by winning the perceived value game that goes on in people's minds as they picture the car in their garage.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    What makes you think that Hyundai is losing money?
  • zen2zen2 Posts: 226
    Ah, yes, the wonderful Tempo. My father's first,
    and last new car. What a shame. Nothing but problems from
    day one. When he died, no one in the family wanted the
    car, even though he had 10 grandchildren who drove.
    It was 3 years old. Oh, and he had been a part time
    mechanic for 45 years, so he didn't take the car in
    for anything he could fix himself.
    Did you mean to say the rate of increase of fatal,
    or near fatal flaws has been decreasing?
    Where are you guys coming up with this crap?
    My brother has a Lincoln Town Car, his wife loved
    her Hyundai, when Hyundai wouldn't deal with her
    on a SantaFe, she bought a Honda. Their combined
    income is well within the top 1% of Pa. I guess
    everyone doesn't think Hyundais are cheap. But
    so are Hondas. Don't you remember the old Civics?
    Now, they were a hoot. I have had Hondas, and still
    own one. I don't consider it any more "prestigious"
    than my Hyundai. Wow, I can afford two cars! 2005,
    and a 2006.
    Hmm, a Ford for 23,888, or a Hyundai for 18 or 19K
    with a 10 year warranty. Now that's a tossup.
    ? Sonata wins
    It's not a static world (e.g. 2007 Camry is coming soon), and everyone has different buying criteria.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I remember the two town cars we had; both rentals, and neither made it out of town before losing their transmission. We ended up having to rent the Aerostar (1990s)for our Disney trip.
  • ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    Sonata wins

There is no winner, everyone sees it differently. But of course, there are winners of comparison tests done by reviewers. But like Backy said, everyone has different buying criteria.
    I just made that comment because nobody had posted anything
    in more than a week. :)
    Many discussions are dead. Holidays--people are away from work and home and their broadband Internet connections. ;)
  • joea1joea1 Posts: 1
    I'm gonna buy new car ,choose a cammry or a sonata
    help me out~! what's better you guys think?
    If you can possibly wait a few months, the '07 Camry will be coming out soon and is all-new, will probably be much improved over the old one. On the other hand, there will probably be good deals to be had on the old Camry. Last night I saw an ad for a $199/month lease special on the '06 Camry.

I have yet to see a head-to-head comparison where the Camry outpointed the '06 Sonata. Personally, I like the Sonata better also. But you need to drive both and see what you think. Even with closeout deals on the Camry, the Sonata will probably cost significantly less (depending on the rebate picture for January), and it has much more standard safety equipment than the Camry.
  • I spent some time on this site and some others determining the expected depreciation rates over time for the Sonata as well as some comparably equipped vehicles (Accord, Camry, TSX, Passat, Galant, Mazda6) and it looks like the Sonata will experience at least a 30% drop when the 2007s come out and the 2006s start getting traded.

Since I do not need the vehicle right now, my plan is to wait until this depreciation kicks in and then buy a 2006.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Norman
    If you are talking about a 30% drop from MSRP, for slightly-used '06 Sonatas, that is very possible IMO. But if you are talking about a 30% drop from actual sale prices, I think you will be disappointed.

Example: New GLS V6 models are available in my city now for $17k before the loyalty rebate, and $16k with it. I really doubt you'll see slightly-used '06 GLS V6s going for $11-12k at the end of this year.

But it is always a good bet to buy a one-year-old car than a new one, and save the first-year depreciation. You may not save 30% off current prices, but you'll save something.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I'm interested in Hyundai's alleged restyle of the Sonatas IP/controls. Personally, I cant stand the swamp green lighting that is used in the guages (Toyota used this color forever before moving to electroluminescents) and although the materials are high quality, Im not enamored of the interior styling of the Sonata. From what I've seen I prefer the 07 Camry (though I only saw the SE model).

~alpha
  • What I did was take the 2006 invoice price and compare that to the private seller price for a wide range of mid-size imports for the 2005, 2004, 2003 and 2002 models. The Mazda6, Mitsubishi Galant and Hyundai Sonata showed a more marked change than the Honda Accord, and Acura TSX in the first year. The Camry, Avalon and Altima were more in the middle. I suspect this has to do with the reputation of the Honda brands, the large supply of Toyotas and Nissans, and the relatively small dealer base for the Mazdas, Mitsubishis and Hyundais.

I saw that the 2005 Sonata showed a greater drop than either the Mazdas or Mitsubishis which I attributed to the new Sonata (There was a similar downward bump for the Galant when it was upgraded as few years back), so I took the Mazda/Mits rate instead of the much greater Sonata rate.

Since the LX's MSRP is $22895 and has an invoice of $20961 per Edmunds, this means I could see prices in the $14.7K $16K range once the 2007 is available.
    $16k, maybe. Good luck!
    But you are looking at USED cars. There is no way
    you can get a 2005 Accord for 30% less than a new
    one, if it has not been titled. IMO
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    Accord's resale value is probably the highest of the cars in the comparo. But since most of us hold a car for 5+ years, who cares? The high end Accord is such a sublime vehicle. Sure it costs much more than a Sonata LX, but it offers tons more in performance, style, ergonomics, and design/appeal. The Sonata is a nice package but is oh so boring and utilitarian. They're not selling around here. For some reason this is Honda country (SE US)

I've seen minimal Fusions in the past few months. Ford will probably call on Hertz soon to pump up its Fusion sales.
  • ontopontop Posts: 279
    I think Hyundai's perception in the public's eye is still suffering from the negative vibes of its previous versions. Hyundai builds a better car now but IMO they have zero appeal in the style department.

The 06 Accord is a fine vehicle, but its restyle isn't that great. I want a car with some flair and expect to mechanicals to be there. The Fusion does look nice but who knows about the mechanicals. Don't see many of them at all either. May have to go to the TL sector to get what I'm looking for.
This discussion has been closed.