Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    I was talking about Sonata's only being maxd out@ 400K if they can reach that..The production of Alabama and some imports..

This was all in response to one poster who stated categorically that Hyundai would blow by HonYota and all of Detroit an soon be #1 here. I am certain this is not likely in the near future for all the reasons in the last 30 posts. They might be a solid 6th!!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,717
    Since other people have commented on how many Sonatas are sold to fleets, it's fair to note of the Corolla... I see a lot of those when I rent cars from Hertz (in fact I get a lot of them from Hertz, unfortunately).

But for the people who find the seating position of the Corolla tolerable, it is a good little car--economical, smooth ride, reliable, peppy enough, good safety options available (side bags/curtains, ABS, even VSC). But "best in class" with the Civic and Mazda3? Sorry, I don't think so.

P.S. didn't the latest Corolla debut in early 2002, as a 2003 model--four years ago?
    Yep due for renewal this time next year, prolly as a 2008 model
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    "I was talking about Sonata's only being maxd out 400K if they can reach that..The production of Alabama and some imports.."

Well, Hyundai execs would roll on the floor if Sonata reached "only" 400k. That would make it the best selling sedan in the U.S.
  • zen2zen2 Posts: 226
    You never answered the question though. Are you going to
    sell the 2007 Camry for around invoice? I doubt it.
    Nope 2nd behind the Camry... But yes that's the cornerstone of what they have to do to emulate Toyota.

But then they have to build 3 or 4 more plants like that and max them all out to catch Toyota today.
    Be realistic.. in the beginning No! 3-6 months from now almost for certain.

It doesnt help me but it helps the owner. So if he says move all the Camry's and keep a 20 day supply the GSM will be all over that order. It also makes the process a lot easier and the customers a lot more relaxed and satisfied.

BTW just to be clear, Toyota doesnt give a whit of what happens with the retail prices. When the Camry is shipped they have their money. After that it's between the dealer and the buyer.
  • jrock65jrock65 Posts: 1,371
    If the Sonata sold 400k, it would be the best selling sedan in this segment.

Toyota says that 85% of Camry sales are sedans.

85% of 431,703 is 366,948.

So Camry sedan sales in 2005 was about 367,000.
    Yep you tripped me up there.. :D .... and if ....
  • Yes its funny to see all the people having difficulty accepting Hyundai as the new kid on the block. Just wait until he Chinese unlease their fury.
    Guys this has just started!!!
  • Thanks to you and the graduate,
    I hadn't considered looking at things that way. It makes sense when you see the picture that way. :)
  • ontopontop Posts: 279
    People don't have accept anything. I can't wait until he Chinese unlease their fury too.

And what has just started? People wanting choices? The auto market is constantly changing. Look at Ford.
  • According to what I read in Wall Street, Hyundai ownes KIA. The new task for Hyundai is how to brand each line.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Zen, do me a favor. Go to Google. Type in "Honda problems".. Then come back an preach about Honda's great reliability.. What about the first year of the Odessey? or better yet the recalls for transmission issues on the Accords, Odesseys? or what about the CRV engine fires that are still happening?? Go to www.alldata.com and take at look at the TSB's for Honda, all years, all vehicles.. You are going to be surprised.. What about the Honda Pilot test vehicle that broke down during Edmunds testing??
  • ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    No one said Honda's are perfect. Yes, they have their flaws here and there, but they're more reliable than Ford's according to both JD powers and CR. How about you type in Ford recalls, I think they're the automaker with the most recalls in 2005.

Let's see what Ford's doing lately...
    Ford to cut up to 30,000 jobs, idle 14 plants
    Struggling automaker seeks to reverse $1.6 billion loss in 2005

Click here
  • zen2zen2 Posts: 226
    I have a 2005 Honda CR-V. Made in England. Guess what?
    No recalls. No fires. Honda almost immediately pinpointed
    the cause of the fires, and sent me a notice about it.
    This would have taken Ford 10 years, and probably
    20 or 30 deaths. Also, I believe Honda or the dealers
    took responsibility for the fires, unlike Ford. There
    is no comparison. Try googling Honda fires, then
    Ford fires. If you want to see which has more. Remember
    the Pinto?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    We're talking about the Sonata, the Accord, the Camry and the Fusion here ... let's try to resist the urge to wander all around the other vehicles the manufacturers produce.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    I stopped into the Ford dealer I bought my current 2000 Taurus SES from and got a good look at the Fusion in the showroom. The car has simply awesome styling, inside and out and seems to be very spacious and functional, from the dash layout to the trunk. From a styling standpoint, the Fusion is really a knockout and in my opinion is tremendously better looking than Accord, Camry, Maxima, Sonata, or any current GM or Chrysler product in this size range.

They had about 8 of them in stock and had posted on the showroom glass their "no-dicker" prices for each, which ranged from $2k-$3k off MSRP. Fusion is priced right and I believe will be a big winner for Ford. Looks like you could get a V-6 version out the door for $20K plus or minus $1K or so, if you didn't go hog wild with the bells and whistles.

Too bad my Taurus is only just getting broken in, now at 5 years and 55K miles! I won't be in the market for another 4-5 years.
  • That is exactly right Ford, GM, Chrysler, AMC No longer the "Kings of the Hill" and who would have thunkit only a few years ago! Stand by we are in for one heck of a ride!!!!!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I wouldn't do a search on Odesseys as scape2 says. Try googling the Odyssey instead.
    I'm afraid Ford has to overcome its stigma of underwhelming reliability just as Hyundai does. If I had to judge by what I see selling in Birmingham, I see ads selling the Sonata at $1k off (Current offer is OTD for $22,000 for a V-6 Sonata), while Fusion V-6s are going for 18,495 (last price i remember seeing for one). Hyundai may have a leg up on Ford as far as brand notoriety (trucks notwithstanding)
  • see ads selling the Sonata at $1k off (Current offer is OTD for $22,000 for a V-6 Sonata), while Fusion V-6s are going for 18,495 (last price i remember seeing for one). Hyundai may have a leg up on Ford as far as brand notoriety (trucks notwithstanding

What were the package differences between the two?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    Well the stigma I believe is not reality anymore, but it seems many consumers put their blinders on and refuse to take them off to recognize the vast improvements in quality that have occurred, to the point where quality is nearly a given in almost any vehicle you buy these days.

I myself have driven two Tauri, a 1990 (good old Vulcan!) for ten years and 100K miles and am now on the sixth year of my 2000 Duratech equipped Taurus and both have been extremely reliable and did not and have not developed creaks and rattles as they aged.
    I didn't mean to imply that the cars currently for sale by Hyundai are unreliable, just that they have the proverbial "black cloud" over them, even though it is through raining. (How's that for metaphor? :-))

I believe that American brands as a whole have some digging out to do, I'm sorry I picked on Ford, but that is the only relevant American brand in this forum.

My neighbors have a 1993 Taurus (vulcan 3.0l) that has 140,000 miles on it. Their daughter now drives it to school. I don't remember them talking about any major issues with it. It shouldn't, especially the recent vulcan-engined Tauri, since that motor has had 15 years or more to work out its kinks!
    We need to stick to the vehicles in the subject and avoid the temptation to talk about all of these other vehicles that are not on topic here. Please.
  • Has anyone noticed that Sonata, Fusion and Altima have a similar look from the side. I am not talking right up close, but from 20 feet away they are very similar.
    I think this is true for nearly all midsizers, save for the "hippy" Camry. It's kind of thick in the middle. Perhaps it has more junk in its trunk? (Pun intended, sorry for the cheesy joke, lol)
  • I'm looking for a mid size sedan. I work + go to school at the same time, so I am on a burget.
    :) I have tested drove an Accord SE, and it's impressive, accept its price (I can get one at 21000 OTD).
    :) Tested drove an Camry 06 LE with no side airbag, and like it power seat + the look is ok (I can get one at 19000 OTD). However, the handling is not as good as the Accord.
    :) I have just tested drove an Sonata GLS today. The power seem to be a bit less compare to Acord and about equal to Camry 06. I like the long list of standard option that Sonata offer. (I can get one at 17500)

If you were me, with one would you buy? :D
    Which one do you like the best?
This discussion has been closed.