Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata vs. Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Ford Fusion

Comments

• Amen to the fact that the Mazda 6 is noisy. My first test drive in the Sonata really punctuated that.
  • I see alot of people stating that the fusion's V6 is underpowered. I was able to test drive the V6, and i must state this engine is very approprioate for this application. I never felt this engine lacking in power, the 6 speed auto is geared perfectly to keep the V6 in its sweet spot. Also, this engine is suprisingly quiet and refined, it features every technology that the others have in this class. Im 23 and i dont need a engine that pins me back in my seat when i drive, i need a engine that has an excellent powerband and one that goes about its business unobtrusively. And again this is a midsize sedan designed for family duty and it without a doubt does its job with the best of them, while offering more style. Just my opinion
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    I can't believe anyone would compare a Sonata to an Accord or Camry. The Sonata I drove seemed like it was doing a constant mild vibrate. And yes the 6 is loud. Haven't driven a Fusion - will soon - but I doubt this car is a threat to the 2 clear leaders in this class. IMO - the Accord is the top dog.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,629
    You needed to turn off the seat vibrator switch on the Sonata--it's to the left of the steering column. ;)

The '06 Sonata you drove must have had something wrong with it. The two that I've driven (I4 and V6) were two of the smoothest cars I've ever been in. The I4 was no slouch either. No vibrator. The Accord, OTOH, did vibrate my body with its constant thumps over every little bump in the road.

Maybe you didn't notice that Edmunds.com did the unfathomable--compared the Sonata to the like-priced Accord and Camry (the unmitigated gall of those people!). And the Sonata took first place.
  • ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    The Sonata, is actually more smooth and quieter than the Accord. But the Accord has a more 'sportier' character. I find it has a nice balance between sport, and comfort, some may find it a little to harsh.

I currently own he 2005 Accord EX V6, I did look at the Sonata and if it did not have its (in my opinion) bland interior, I would have bought the Sonata. Its probably the most improved car I have driven this year. It is years ahead from its previous model.

Like Backy stated, edmunds compared like-priced models of the Accord and Camry to the Sonata. The Sonata came out on top as their favorite budget priced family sedan.

I still find the Accord to be at least near the top of its class, or even at the top. The Camry on the other hand, is dated, and is simply out-classed by many of its competitors (but you have to remember, it's in its last year)
    Who's paying edmunds to write that nonsense? Real world (and long term) usage will tell the tale. One good model year does not a winner make. Period. Hyundai might have fooled ya once, but Honda and Toyota will up the ante again with their new versions coming out soon. Booyah.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    One year? How about looking at the last 3 or 4 years when the Sonata was rapidly approaching the Accord & Camry, gaining each year? The '06 Sonata is causing the Honda/Toyota to take notice. Camry is getting long in the tooth? That may be, but for today's buyer, why buy an inferior, tired design when something better (and newer) is available from another manufacturer.

If you want to be a loyal Hondo/Toyo fan, that's fine. Others are looking for the best value for their buck.
  • ctalkctalk Posts: 646
    How about looking at the last 3 or 4 years when the Sonata was rapidly approaching the Accord & Camry, gaining each year?
    The Sonata has improved so much to a point that it is actually better then the Accord and Camry in some ways. But in sales, it still has a long way to go. I would say the Nissan Altima and Chevrolet Impala are the ones that are slowly gaining on Accord and Camry.
    Who's paying edmunds to write that nonsense?

I can tell there is no hope of having a dialogue with you. Hope you enjoy driving your Honda product(s)!
  • motownusamotownusa Posts: 836
    You know that the new Camry is coming out in less than six months right ? Maybe the Sonata should be compared to that car and we will see how it fares against it.
    It's hard to compare the Sonata to a paper car. When the new Camry comes out, I expect it will be improved and tough competition for Sonata and others in this class.
  • Backy said:

"Maybe you didn't notice that Edmunds.com did the unfathomable--compared the Sonata to the like-priced Accord and Camry (the unmitigated gall of those people!). And the Sonata took first place"

Yes and a lot of people don't feel the comparison was a completely fair one except that the costs were equal. If you add a few thousand to a Honda you get a whole lot more features.

It is almost like runing a car test of a Kia Optima against eqvalently priced Sonatas, Accords and Camrys. The Kia Optima wins becuase it is lower priced than the other's entry car offering. But just because it is priced lower, doesn't mean it is better.

Of course everyone has a right to make their car comparison however they like on such things as features, fit and finish, reliability, refinement and yes cost.

OH WOW add a Ford product to the comparison. Want to make a VW look relaible, compare it to a Ford Fission ( that is the nuclear model of the Fusion).

YMMV,

MidCow
  • smith20smith20 Posts: 256
    If you add a few thousand to a Honda you get a whole lot more features.

Thanks for stating the obvious. ;)

The point of Edmund's comparison was that the Sonata was better than Camry and Accord at that price . . . which I think is also stating the obvious. :)

If someone only has a budget that allows them to consider the I4 Accord or Camry, maybe they should consider the V6 Sonata for a similar price if they're looking for more power while sticking to the same budget. That's the kind of person that will take the Edmund's review to heart . . . or they could consider an I4 Sonata with similar power and go back to saving thousands of dollars.
    I'm not surprised that a lot of Honda and Toyota fans felt that the Edmunds.com comparo of the Accord/Camry/Sonata was not fair--after all, the "wrong" car won!

What's not fair IMO is the comparos where a car that costs $14k goes up against cars that cost nearly $20k. The more expensive car wins. Well, DUH. The approach of comparing cars from the same class at the same price point is an interesting one and IMO as fair as any other method.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    well, it does make sense to compare cars by class too, not just price. If I need a certain type of car (say mid size 4 door, stick, 4 cyl with ABS and SAB and a moonroof), I would like to know how a 14K model X stacks up to a 20K model Y and a 22K model Z.

It would be kinda pointless to me to have them use a V6 AT AWD 20K model X instead, since that isn't what I am looking for.

IMO, people shop price as a top end (max they can spend), not a number they have to hit. Many people, if they think the 14K X will do the job, won't insist on spending 20K just because they theoretically could.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

also, while the Sonata did win (largely due to some extra features and the V6 performance), the Accord blew it away in MPG (27 vs. 20, a significant difference).

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

That surprises you? The Accord was an I4, the Sonata a 235 hp V6.
    I was just pointing it out, since it is the flip side to the V6 for the price of a 4 debate.

That's an interesting choice: go for the power of the V6, for the price of an I4 in the Accord or Camry, or save a few thousand bucks and go for the I4 in the Sonata (or the Fusion for that matter). Personally I don't see any need for V6s in these cars. The I4s are plenty powerful for a mid-sized family car. It's not like people are drag-racing these things... are they?
    The real proof that AccordCamry is the winner over all else is in years 4-5-6 etc. when the car's got 100K + miles on it and you still say it's a solid car and a good value. I guess we'll see what the HyundaiKia deal is then. I'll bet on the HondaToyota.
This discussion has been closed.