Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Ford Escape Hybrid Owners - Give Us Your Report

1234568»

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "You might want to check out some issues about the FEH's High Voltage Battery on this forum. I own a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD and regret that I bought it. I'm concerned about the battery. If the battery dies I need to pay $8,000.00 to replace it. If I knew this, I wouldn't buy my FEH AWD. "

You might want to wait until it actually dies before you regret your purchase. Those taxis in NYC are going pretty strong.
    "This is what I learned from the Ford FEH road show back in 2004. The difference with the FEH and the Prius is that the Prius uses one great big batter pack that has to be replaced all at once. The FEH uses a rack of batteries that look very much like D-Cell's. In theory if a cell fails, they can open the rack and replace the cell, not the whole battery pack. "

You might be able to find someone to do that, but I'm sure Ford recommends that one replace the entire pack.
  • FWIW, I spoke to a service man that took in one of the first escape hybrids to sell in the bay area. It was a 2005 or 2006 with over 300,000 miles of San Francisco inner city taxi cab service miles on it. The battery checked in at 90% life. Not bad at all. So don't worry.

We just got a 2008 and I noticed that in town, if driven in low range the whole time, the transmission acts exactly as it does in drive except that it increases regenerative braking dramatically, charging the batteries faster, and allowing more electric mode. Has anyone else found this? I was able to get nearly 41mph in town doing it. Any reason why this is bad? Like I said, it doesnt sound like the transmission is adversely effected. It's not like it's locking a torque converter in first like a normal transmission does.
  • ekiehnekiehn Posts: 33
    Yes that's what I do and have for years. Somewhere way back in all the posts I responded with this suggestion to an FEH that was not getting great milage. He tried it and it worked. (great job getting 41MPG, my 2006 stays around31-32).

As for the wear and tear, I'm not that worried. Certainly the brakes will be saved (I'm at about 89K now and no new brakes are needed yet and probably not anytime soon).

So to date I have spent money on recommended oil changes (every 10,000 miles), change filters as required, replaced all 4 tires once and wiper blades and that is about it. With all that I have saved in Gas and maintenance if the Batteries fail or need replacement or some other component I believe I'll be ahead of he game no matter how I add it up.
  • When doing city driving in low, what is the fasted you can go (or suggest you should go) before it jumps to gas mode?
  • cretacreta Posts: 2
    Hello,

I own a 2006 FEH.

Unfortunately the power steering assist mechanism (electric -not hydraulic) needs to be replaced/repaired.

I am looking for a top flight mechanic who is familiar with this issue, the dealer has recommended that I buy a new vehicle..... they indicate the repair is too complex, risky and expensive.

I would greatly appreciate any assitance

Thank you,

Creta
    "I am looking for a top flight mechanic who is familiar with this issue, the dealer has recommended that I buy a new vehicle..... they indicate the repair is too complex, risky and expensive. "

Find another Ford dealer, one who is qualified to work on the Gen 1 FEH. That dealer is just trying to get you to buy a new car, so he profits from it.
1234568»