Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,863
    "Actually it doesn't reduce your carbon use, it only makes you carbon neutral. Now if you purchased 2, then you would be reducing the carbon generated and you would be reducing your carbon useage.

Try not to throw stones when you live in a glass house...you never know when someone else will return the favor. "

Not sure what you mean by "glass house" (maybe a greenhouse?). The entire point of "carbon neutral" is to provide a "global" value of zero (drive car = carbons, tree = uses up carbon). My point was that the real way to reduce carbon is not with offsets.

BTW, I drive an ICE vehicle (though not a large one), without "carbon offsets", but the vehicle size is an economic, not environmental, choice. Except for towing and true farm work, I've never seen the point of monster pickups and SUVs.

The entire concept of "carbon neutral" is unproven, and in any case who knows what percentage of funds provided actually plant trees, and how much is "overhead"?

If one is so interested in reducing global carbon, they should plant their own tree, in their own back yard. And then, ride to work, take public transport, etc.

Mind you, I'm not advocating either action, just pointing out that those who really believe in reducing carbon footprints would be better off by doing something other than "carbon offset".
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Not to get 2 far off topic but Terrapass is way more than planting trees and its independantly audited. Its sponsored by Ford.

Mark.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    Ford sould spend more time trying to increase mpg of their vehicles than supporting BS PC pie-in-the-sky PR schemes. What's next? Buy a Ford and stop AIDs in Africa?
  • shaendrashaendra Posts: 3
    OK, so I'm sure the vehicle is still calibrating itself, but we bought a new one with about 34mi on it, and took it out for a little celebratory trip. Got home with 178mi on it, and the average according to the little touchscreen interface "last fifteen minutes" system was 38.1MPG. This is slightly mixed driving, but mostly hiway, at 60mph using cruise control on fairly flat terrain (SE Texas). I saw the little bars peak t 60 quite a few times in stop-and-start traffic. Haven't read through the manual yet, but this was driving with no A/C and the "Econ" button in the center console activated.

Much better than the '99 Dakota I've had since it was new. I think that thing averaged about 20MPG on a good drive! LOL!
  • z28gurlz28gurl Posts: 5
    By that I mean, not "babying" it into a start to get the most out of the batteries, and using AC or heat from time to time,
    The one i am driving is averageing 36 MPG
    And has 79 000 kms. ( Sorry from Canada here, not sure what that is in Miles but lukily I can make it tell me the MPG)
  • floyd2222floyd2222 Posts: 9
    For whatever reason, I get better mileage on the highway then I do in town, even though I really try hard to keep the gas engine off as much as possible. I thought city driving was suppose to be less. I have about 4000 miles on it and haven't touched the average MPG reset switch since I drove it out of the dealers. Is presently at 30.1 MPG with about even highway and city driving. Maybe a little more city overall.
    Floyd
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Posts: 161
    floyd2222 -
    if you have not reset the avg mpg in the truck's message center...how are you calculating the difference between hiway and city fuel economy? (this may provide an answer)
  • floyd2222floyd2222 Posts: 9
    It seems that whenever I go on the highway for 40 or 50 miles, I can get it to kick up a couple of tenths of a MPG, whereas if I drive only in the city for a few days it tends to go down a little. Granted nothing scientific, but it happens consistently that way. On the highway the cruise control seems to be important to increase that number. I use as much as I can.
    Floyd
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,085
    If you are a long-term hybrid owner, our Senior Editor, John O'Dell, would love to hear from you! A short email with your maintenance experiences and concerns would be great. Please send to John at jodell@edmunds.com by close of business Wednesday, August 22, 2007. Be sure and include your Forums username.

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Floyd, I'm a long term Ford Escape 4WD Hybrid owner, my 2006 turns two next month, with only 17K miles! I've discovered that on highway miles, if not pushing too hard but staying 65-70 mph, I get an average of just over 30 MPG, but in city driving, especially short hops, I only get about 28 MPG, and less if air is on. It's a honey of a car, smooth and peppy, but mindful driving when battery is charged up does deliver good mileage, for an SUV. The trouble with city driving is the flow of traffic, where you have to keep up, go on green and stop on red, which cuts into MPG. If no other traffic around, I can run more on electric mode, but stepping on it revs into gas engine quickly, perhaps too quickly, so MPG drifts down. I also discovered, since I have a short commute, that if I don't do a lot of steady highway driving, but just hopping around town, there seems to be a natural drift down on the display. It's easy to lose 0.1 MPG when the engine starts, but it's harder to get it back, so eventually it drifts below 28. I never managed to get 32 MPG in city as claimed, however it does better on highway than claimed. All around, it's been a great car. Wife and I love it. :)
  • 2008 FWD (not 4WD):Filled the tank 21 times. Have achieved an overall MPG of 27.66.
    HWY 26mpg (usually at 60 mph..cruise control with an empty luggage rack on the roof). City has been about 32mpg.
    Worst was 13.46 mpg. Daughter borrowed car. Loaded 5 people in it plus their luggage plus a luggage rack on the roof plus a luggage bag and then drove it an average of 70 mph!!
    Best mileage was 33.95 mpg .. all city.
    Most of my driving over the summer has been on the highway with the luggage rack. I noticed that the removal of the luggage rack boosted my mpg by about 10%.
    Looking forward to getting good mpg as I use it more in the city and don't have the luggage rack.
    Wife and I love this car so far. Back seats folded down most of time .. great for shopping!!
  • Update .. since I took off the luggage rack my MPG has jumped from an average of 27.27 MPG (Average of 5 tanks with the luggage rack on) to 32.42 (again 5 tanks with the luggage rack off). YIKES .. a 19% improvement.
    Both numbers are a combination of city and highway driving.
    That luggage rack cost me big time. Even when nothing was being carried in it (which was most of the time).
    I had left it installed on the roof because I was lazy .. not doing that again!!
  • dhuang2dhuang2 Posts: 15
    For osprey2
    Could you describe more about the luggage rack installed in your car? Is it the OEM installed the two side rails with two cross bars or is it a custom rack?

Thanks, :surprise:
  • It is an aftermarket unit built by Thule.
    It attaches to the ford cross bars which are expensive. Can't remember the exact price for the cross bars but it was over $200 for each one .. close to $500 cdn for the set of two (probably cheaper in the US even with 1 cdn dollar = 1.02 us ... sore point up here how long it takes for retail to recognize a rising dollar and how fast they recognize a sinking one .. but I go off topic here).
    It is a Thule 840/9180 Playpen. And it looks somewhat like a
    kids bicycle basket. There are a series of 9 tubes
    which are elongated "U"s going across the top (90 degrees to the airflow) and two tubes which run at 90 degrees to the Ford Cross bars. It has a tube which is parallel to the roof at the top of the "U"s so that things don't fall out the side.
    The thing is maybe 12 inches deep. There is a wind deflector on the front.
    I have no problem with the unit itself. It is sturdy, well made and clamps nicely to the cross bars. We've used it with a cargo net where you fill it up and hook the cargo net to the tubes. Cargo will get wet this way. We have also used it with a cargo bag, which is basically a big bag that is water proof. I have no data on MPG between bag and net. But I do have data on keeping it on the roof top when empty. I won't do that again. As I've said in the previous post it cost me about 19% in mileage .. and that's a lot.
  • My wife and I test drove an '06 Hybrid in the heat of summer in Pensacola, FL. The AC was on Max and we noticed that the vehicle never ran on battery only, even at idle. I would think that the MPG would be dramatically impacted. Dealership had not comments other than to admit that some purchasers had express dissatisfaction with MPG. Can anyone in So. USA confirm? We bought an '06 Gas to go with our '02 Gas. Love both of them!
  • There are two settings which are orange on the thermostat dial. Max AC and defrost. They are "demand" settings which keep the ICE running regardless of speed. Think about it, how would you like it if you really needed your defroster, and it just kicked off and went into battery mode. If you want to use the battery, put it on just regular ac, or recirc. They both work perfectly fine if you are moving. Otherwise it does get a little stifling if you are sitting for long periods. My MPG using max ac has never gone below 27 mpg mixed driving, and right now I'm usually getting 32-33 mpg mixed driving. Mine is a 2006 Hyb.
  • ekiehnekiehn Posts: 33
    I have the '06 hybrid as well and live in SOFLA - South Florida for the uninitiated ;) in the heat of the summer I usually end up with the AC on MAX and which does affect fuel mileage, but it depends on where I'm driving to. If I start off on a 98 degree day and am driving stop and go traffic it's on, but if I drive more distance and less stop and go I switch to normal recerc AC. Usually even on a hot day after about 15 minutes the interior is cooled enough that even if you get stopped at a light and the engine turns off, the cool air still flows long enough so that when you start off again, all is cool (and this is from someone who likes it cool).

Mileage goes down in summer usually no lower than 27mpg, but now that fall is coming and I'm only battling temps in the lower to mid 80's I almost always have it set to standard AC so the ICE turns off at lights etc. Millage is now back up to 32+ MPG.

You learn a little different way of driving, but if my 15 year old can get a kick out of trying to get the best mileage out of a car and eagerly tries to top is Dad, then anyone can love hybrid technology.
    Your characterization of the Hybrid with the A/C on makes it sound like some sort of "short coming" of the vehicle. True, the current (3rd gen) Prius does include an electric A/C compressor....so you can have cold A/C and EV at the same time. However, this drains energy faster from the HVbattery which may require the ICE to come on to charge the HV battery sooner.

Even conventionally powered Escapes will show reduced FE with the A/C running. So, if the FEH FE is reduced due to using A/C....so is the FE of any other vehicle it is being compared to. :D
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,863
    "True, the current (3rd gen) Prius does include an electric A/C compressor....so you can have cold A/C and EV at the same time. "

Not to be picky, but where did you get three generations? Gen 1 was 2000-2003, Gen 2 was 2004 - present. There was a Japanese version in 1997, IIRC, but it was identical to the Gen 1.
    I've seen the Japanese(domestic) only version referred to as a separate generation. The drive train probably did not see many changes but perhaps preparing it to be sold in the US included enough other changes to warrant designation as its own generation. [My info is second-hand] :D
  • We have been wanting to buy an escape hybrid but would like to test drive before committing. None of the Ford dealers around here have a demo car or even a used car. What goes? How can Ford expect to sell cars when there are no Demos?
    In the late winter and early Spring of this year when Hybrid sales had been slow...it looks like Ford decided to allocate the hybrids to dealers that were actually selling Hybrids on a regular basis. This left 90% (approx) of the dealers in the country without any automatic allocations - they had to order them specifically or place an order for a customer. So if a rural dealer had only seen one or two hybrids and had trouble selling them....he wasn't about to order a bunch for the show room. Then, in the late Spring as Gas prices went up and orders starting to arrive in large volume....Ford had a critical component supply problem and had trouble getting them off the line. Many folks waited for 4 months or more and have just received their vehicles in Sept and Oct.

Just today, I counted over 10 hybrids at my dealer on the front lot for sale. :D
  • So where do I have to go to find one? I am in rural NE. Thanks
    I would come armed with dealer names and/or valid zip codes of the location of dealers near you. Then use the following Ford website:

http://www86.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/IncomingPage.jsp?intcmp=fv%3A+showroom%- 3A+search+inventory&sModel=2008Escape+Hybrid&partner=&target=inventory&sBrand=Fo- rd&sZip=

........to search dealer inventory. I would say this tool is not very accruate day-to-day....but you should get a lot of 0 (zero) hits on small dealerships. Look for larger, urban dealers that will have at least 3 or more on inventory....then determine if they are close enough for you to visit. If you have never been in any type of Escape if would be valuable to try and drive a non-hybrid version to get 80% of the FEH experience.

The Hybrid is designed to drive in an identical manner as the non-hybrid....but once you understand how it works ...you will want to employ new driving techniques that allow you to get the EPA estimates of MPG (or better!)

Good Luck. :D
  • Good luck in your search, Ivor. I bought mine, 2006 4WD Hybrid, in the summer of 2005, and waited until mid September to get delivery. But I factory ordered exactly what I wanted (though I wish I had a back-up camera!), and at the time only one model was available on the lot for test drive. I didn't like that model much, it's weird color or handling, but mine came out perfect, in medium black, so it was worth the wait. I knew what I wanted! :)

Get to test drive one, just to get a feel for it, but it really is just like a regular gas engine, except when in electric mode, then totally silent. Pick up is great, often surprised that when light turns green, everybody else is left behind, except for some sports cars! :surprise: All else works just as advertised. I now have been a proud Hybrid owner for two years, and can't find fault. Really!

On some city driving (4WD) I actually get 37 mpg, which is surprising. But in regular traffic, on highway I get about 30+, and if just doing short hops (engine warms up and recharges all those batteries) I'll only average 27 mpg. You do learn after a while how to 'milk it' to get better mileage, if that is your goal. With today's gas prices, it sure is mine. :P It is an SUV, so don't expect very high mileage, but that's good enough for me. And it really is a joy of a car to drive, so quiet and smooth, seamless really. I've also taken it into some pretty rough off-road desert driving, and just great. My GPS could be better, if I must gripe about something. :cry: Overall, try it, you'll like it. I have. :blush:
    We have a material hold on Hybrids right now. Means we can't order any for stock or retail. For 2008 the Hybrid was not allocated seperately from the gas Escape as in previous model years.

Mark.
  • Hi
    I do service for a living and, because I am here in Albany NY, I also need 4WD. I wish there were plug in Hybrids available--then I would stock up on Solar panels and the hell with all off them.
    Now, back to reality.
    I made a mistake a couple of years ago and leased a Dodge Magnum--supposed to get about 24-27 MPG on the highway--which must have been downhill all the way and then a tow back up!

I will be in the market for a vehicle late summer 2008 and have been looking now. The road seems to be littered with Prius hybrids but some Escapes are mixed in.

The mid 20''s MPG does not seem to be worth the $$ and replacement costs for the Escape as that kind of mileage can be had with gasoline, although it would be tough in a 4WD--maybe an AWD could do it.

I am looking for recommendations, etc, for a vehicle to suit my needs. I carry some computers and parts with me, so an SUV makes the most sense. I had 2 Suzuki Grand Vitara's prior to the Dodge, and, for the $$, they are a great car---but the MPG topped out at 21. However, as a 4WD, it was great in the lousy weather.

Right now, I like the Prius(smaller and replacement battery woe$--or so I hear), the Suzuki, possibly the Dodge Nitro(mileage is lousy, and from what I read elsewhere on the Edmunds site, I should stay away from it), then an Escape 4WD Hybrid.

To you who have hybrids now, what is the scoop with replacing the batteries? I heard it is a very expensive project.

Thanks for the time
    Bob
    This has been gone over before so please feel free to search for posts about this.

The short story is this. Escape Hybrid is a AT-PZEV rated vehicle. Advanced Technology Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. To achieve this rating, the following warranty is required:

Unique Hybrid Componets - 8 years or 100,000 miles. AND on CA emission vehicles, (all those sold in New York) 10 years or 150,000 miles with full replacement cost on the high voltage battery pack.

I was surprised to discover that there are actually people dumb enough to lease a hybrid. No hybrid currently on the market will get you back the extra cost of a hybrid vs a comparable sized gas vehicle with in the time frame of a lease.

What you should really do is take some time at www.fueleconomy.gov with the side by side comparison tool. The site uses the new test numbers even for prior model year vehicles.

Put in your current vehicle then the vehicle you are looking to buy. This site will give you a percentage of difference and dollar figures based on the average price of gas in the US.

AND LETS FACE IT, there is no way you are going to get around paying a significant penalty for AWD vs. FWD.

Mark
  • As no Escape Hybrids are available in NE, it follows that I will not buy one! What is Ford thinking about? When there are real customers ready and willing to pony up, they send unsold vehicles to CA. It does not seem sensible business to me.
  • dean58dean58 Posts: 14
    Why doesn't the tax credit for hybrids get more mention here? I had an '05 AWD Escape V6 and after driving it on the mountain roads,including gravel, for 3 years I never saw the 4WD light come on. When I bought my '08 I decided I didn't need an AWD. I'm thinking the saving was about $1,200.00. The difference in the tax credit is $800.00 ($3,000.00 for FWD and $2,200.00 for AWD). In addition the fuel mileage is better with a FWD. So when you subtract the $3,000.00 credit from the vehicle cost it makes the premium for the hybrid only a few hundred dollars. I get about 9 to 10 miles to the gallon better mileage on the highway with the '08 than I did with the '05 and I don't drive to get the maximum mileage. I know things like the AMT and your tax bracket enter into this but the credit for Ford Hybrid's is a factor not to forget!
    Dean
This discussion has been closed.