Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• bjcarterbjcarter Posts: 28
    Fifty something dollars every 500miles isn't bad in the current market especially for a decent sized vehicle...
  • softpedalsoftpedal Posts: 12
    Just did a 300 mile trip from SoCal Pacific coast into Anza-Borrego desert interior crossing two mountains, and back again. Averaged 33.2 mpg on this journey, starting from about 27 mpg from just driving around OC traffic, mostly short hops. Not too bad from a 2 1/2 year old 2006 AWD FE Hybrid, with about 23K miles on it. The trick to keep decent mpg on long trips is to 'glide' rather than power full throttle. It makes for a nice driving experience too, not shy of going full speed limit, or over 70 either. Nice little SUV 4X4 wheeling in desert sandtracks too, at times outside GPS range. Fun!. :shades:
  • Dear mackris,

I am considering a new FEH and have wondered how the tax credit works. Can you give me some information about that?

:)
  • mikesbamikesba Posts: 3
    It's fairly simple. You can find out from the IRS website, the current $$ amount of the Tax Credit. The credit is available only for a certain number of Ford escape Hybrids (for the 2007, the credit lasted until Ford sold 60K FEH's).

It is a Tax credit available only in the tax year of purchase. If you end up with little or no taxable income, then the credit isn't applicable for a refund or to use the next tax year. I found out the hard way....lol.

I bought my '07 FEH in July 2006. My credit was available for for my 2006 Tax Return and not in 2007.

I would keep checking the IRS website for Official Memo's which it issues at intervals to confirm the $$ amounts of the various auto credits and the number of vehicles each manufacturer has reported as sold for each model year.

Good luck
  • I bought my 07 2 wheel FEH a year ago........during last summer the mpg settled in at around 36.2 and then during the winter dropped to about 34.2. In the last few weeks, it has steadily climbed and now is about 37.1.........I've seen as high as 37.2 I've doubled checked the figures when I fuel up and on average are very similar. It's the only car I own, besides an RV, by the way, I tow my FEH behind my RV and works great. I drive it to work 5 days a week and it's a round trip of about 65 miles, of which 15 or so are in town, and the rest freeway. I typically cruise at 60-62 mph on the freeway.......in the right lane with the truckers......put the cruise on, and relax.....no fighting traffic. In the first year, I've driven 20,000 miles, and I love the car......not one thing has had to be fixed on it.
  • jimt2jimt2 Posts: 7
    Just had it 2 weeks so far- so its not 'broken in yet'- I drive from suburban nj to new york city or to bus or train stops daily. Its a mix of city and hilly highway. So far I have averaged 26 -27MPG. That is what I expected and better than my Honda CRV by 5MPG and better than the regular V6 Escape.... So I am happy with it.
    I went a week and used 1/2 tank of gas. My CRV, 1 week- 3/4 of a tank...
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,786
    "Just had it 2 weeks so far- so its not 'broken in yet'- I drive from suburban nj to new york city or to bus or train stops daily. Its a mix of city and hilly highway. "

Is yours AWD or FWD?
  • rnargrnarg Posts: 27
    I have quit spending so much time and attention driving my FEH AWD like a turtle for better gas mileage. I have owned and been driving it for 7 months now, and it currently has just turned 6000 miles. For about the 1st 3-4 months average mileage was up and down but has now seemed to level off at 29 MPG. I have had no problems with the vehicle or the dealership where I ordered. I now drive as I do my conventional vehicles, EXCEPT for one thing,---------when applying pressure to your accelerator try to imagine that you have an egg (uncooked, still in the shell) between the bottom of your shoe and the accelerator, and apply pressure accordingly. This is also a good method to use for better gas mileage in conventionally powered autos.

One observation made while purposely driving my hybrid to get good mileage is that most of the other jerks on the road drive as though they must get to the speed limit as fast as possible ------in other words, get to each red traffic light before I do, and guess what, they in fact do, and they beat me to each light by about .001 of a second.

Drive your vehicle diligently, but don't go overboard trying to pay too much attention to too many methods of squeezing out more mileage. Your time will be better spent paying attention to your tire pressures and most of all to driving with safety in mind. Drive diligently and your vehicle will eventually average reasonable miles per gallon (Enjoy driving your hybrid , don't make it a chore)

Also, if for what ever reason your mileage drops 3-4 miles per gallon less than what is advertised, and that's the only thing you can find "wrong" with your vehicle, don't declare your vehicle to be a "lemon" like some have done in these FEH forum subjects. Those who consider their vehicle a "lemon" because of a drop (significant or otherwise) in gas mileage simply have no idea what the meaning of "lemon"is when it comes to automobiles.------Don't panic, it will eventually get better.
  • tomgentomgen Posts: 6
    Hi,

I am the original poster of this message. It's spring and excellent mileage has returned! It's back in the 32 MPG range again for nearly all city driving. :)

Regards,

Tom
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,786
    "I have quit spending so much time and attention driving my FEH AWD like a turtle for better gas mileage. "

I don't do it for the MPG - it is fun, and part of the challenge is NOT to impede traffic. I don't always accelerate like a turtle. At this point I'm still experimenting with the proper way to increase MPG. I don't use any of the "extreme" tricks listed on "hypermiler' sites. So far it appears to me that the FEH has to be driven carefully, and that the best performance depends upon the SOC (state of charge) of the battery. I am finding that the charge level of the battery when accelerating calls for differing approaches. I can't be more specific because I'm still gathering experience and data.

I have 750 miles on the vehicle, and so far I'm right at 30 MPG, about 90% city. I have a 2008 FEH AWD. I expect to do a bit better once the engine breaks in.

29 MPG is respectable, I'm assuming you are driving an AWD?
  • joseph85750joseph85750 Posts: 21
    I got my vehicle July of 2007.
    I get 35-37 MPG. This is driving mostly to/from work every day, about 25 miles each way. The trip is mostly city, with a small stretch where I can go about 50 mph.
    I was surprised how little difference there was during the summer when I ran AC a lot, compared to the winter where it never runs.
    In the summer I got closer to 35 MPG.
  • I received this email from a local dealer:

Thank you for your interest in the Hybrid Escape. Unfortunately, they are in very, very short supply. There are only 6 in the state of Florida . We are out of them and don't for see any coming in due to the fact that Ford is shipping 95% of them to the West coast of the U.S.
    Because the air conditioning in them requires the gas part of the engine to be running for it to work, you don't get the benefit of the Hybrid engine because we have to run A/C here in Florida all the time, where is California and Washington, you don't.
    Ford feels that the best use of the vehicle will be in those climates and not the southeast so that is why there are none available. Dealers that do have one left from earlier in the year are asking over the sticker for them!
    You would be better off with just the regular 4 cylinder model if you are concerned about fuel economy. --

Would love to hear from FL drivers with an Escape Hybrid.
    Thanks!
  • joseph85750joseph85750 Posts: 21
    Interesting. I live in Tucson, AZ, and run the AC a LOT. I got my FEH last July and ran the AC all the way through October. I got about 35 MPG during that time. During this winter season, I've been getting about 37MPG. I was amazed that there wasn't too much of a difference, but I think it has something to do with the heated air vs. the cooler air as well. Either way, it does great in the summer with AC.
    So, unless you're a total psycho driver who has to floor it when the light turns green and slam on the brakes at the last minute when the light is red, you'll see a benefit from the hybrid in the summer too.
    I wonder how those Florida statistics were calculated. Obviously not from reality.
  • ekiehnekiehn Posts: 33
    Well I've been driving mine since 2005. In fact I went to a Ford Road Show in Orlando to test drive one in 2004, went back to Stuart, FL (2 hours South on the East Coast) and put in an order for one. They ran out of 2005 models and I got a 2006 in May of 2005 (second one in town, a Former Ford Exec living here got one of the last 2005 models).

Is it worth it in Summer, YES. I still get decent MPG and don't have to trade off to a 4 cylinder. So I don't get the 36 MPG high's that I sometimes hit in Winter and end up hovering more around 32. I still haul a lot of stuff and with over 50,000 miles on the vehicle I love it.

Here's the scoop so you can decide. If you drive mostly to and from work during the morning,evening, you'll be fine- expect good milage if the drive is 15 minutes or longer (engine has to warm up for best efficiency). If you go out driving during the heat day, say out to lunch or off on to job sites (which is what I often do) it will depend upon the speed at which you are driving. With the air set to the economy mode, the gas engine will usually shut down below 30, like heavy traffic or a stop light. At this point if you have not been driving for a while to cool down the interior, it can get warm fairly fast. Since most stop lights are around 2 to 4 minutes in duration, I usually give it a couple minutes, if it gets two warm a quick flick of a switch and the gas engine starts and I have air conditioning. Remember when you start to drive almost everytime the gas engine will start so you get air anyway. So it's no big deal with the heat, it's manegable and I still remember the days living in Florida when my car didn't have A/C. MPG isn't killed unless you are at stop lights all the time and are running the Gas engine at the same time.

Basically right now most hybrids are in short supply and the dealers know it. Maybe Ford is shipping more to California and the NorthWest as the climate there is optimum for the vehicle, but it by no means fails in the hot humid SouthEast. Do the math, if you hang onto your vehicles for long enough and you know gas prices will always go up, the premium may get paid off sooner than you think (mine did).
  • Short simple article. Too bad most people can't figure this out:

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/579/
  • baysailorbaysailor Posts: 15
    The dealer is making excuses, and poor ones at that. Yes, the models are in short supply, and you may have to dig around for either an Escape or a Mariner, but I highly doubt that Ford's distribution is based on such a hair-brained consideration. As you will see with other posts on this site, the impact of A/C while driving is very small. Driver performance has a much bigger impact, which is why I can get 35 mpg regularly, and my wife only gets 31 on the same car, covering the same route. I shut up after "trying to help" got me "the look."

My bet is the dealer is at the bottom of the sales performance list, and he's not getting any, or he can't sell the conventional Escapes he'll need to take for every hybrid he gets.

Keep looking, they're out there.
  • jimt2jimt2 Posts: 7
    I have an AWD. Have gotten between 25 and 30 MPG depending upon traffic. Less traffic- lower milage....
  • We took a trip 2 weeks ago from Tucson, AZ to Omaha, NE. After reaching Omaha, the MPG reading was around 33. After returning to Tucson, it was 31.1. This would indicate the return mileage was around 30MPG. I'm not sure why it was lower on the return trip. It might have been due to a different return path, different gas octane, or the elevation increase on the return trip. Total miles driven was 3292. In northern New Mexico and southern Colorado, there were times when we were driving up hill, 70MPH, with the AC running. The RPM of the engine would sometimes reach 5500. According to Ford, this is within normal operating range.
    Overall, I thought it performed quite well on the trip!
  • baysailorbaysailor Posts: 15
    There are too many variables to pin down a single reason, although elevation would be a big part of it, since the last time I checked Tucson is much more mountainous than Omaha. The engine revving to 5500 RPM is certainly in the operating range but should be an indication that the truck is running really hard. You may want to try different driving styles in a situation like that and just back off the power to ~3000 RPM and let your speed drop off, you'll save a bunch of fuel that way. In hilly sections I disconnect the speed control and drive manually, letting the speed drop off on the hills and ensuring that you get a full head of steam up going down the other side. You don't get to you destination noticably slower, and you allow the truck to deliver it's potential 33+ MPG on the road.

Cheers,
  • I guess it was just nice not having to be manually adjusting my speed throughout the mountainous area. It would only jump to 5500 for maybe 5 seconds, so it wasn't too bad. Curious that the tac doesn't have a 'red zone' for RPM.
    On a related note, it would be nice if there were a sort of 'cruise control' that was based off RPM as well. So, one could set the speed at 60, and the RPM to a max of 4500. Then, if RPM reaches 4500, the speed is automatically decreased.

As I'm driving with the CVRT, I can't help but wonder what other peoples' standard transmissions are doing. I see these little 4 cylinder Toyotas, going up the hills, and I'm thinking that car must be in 2nd gear at 6000RPM to make that climb. Don't people care when their standard transmissions are constantly shifting in/out of overdrive on such terrains?