Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Hybrid Owners: Meet the Members

2»

Comments

• allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Posts: 113
    Real world numbers how much does it cost to replace the hybrid battery?
  • ski49ski49 Posts: 3
    I picked up my 2006 HCH three weeks ago and have put more than 1,800 miles on it so far. My 1st tank was only 41.48 mpg, next was up to 46.07 followed by slow increases to 46.40 and finally 46.97. My travels the 1st tank was 90% city. The next three have been 60% highway & 40% city. In all cases the on board computer mileage estimates were 1.5 mpg less than what computing the mileage using actual miles driven vs actual gas purchased.

So far I couldn't be happier with the driving expierence and mileage. Especially since the mileage is more than double what I was getting with my 2003 CRV.

In other posts I saw a number of comments concerning the lack of a fold down rear seat or at least a pass thru to the trunk, along with the lack of a power sun roof, larger tires & wheels, and the rather misleading XM ready labels on the radio.

Fold down rear seat / pass thru - can't be done due to the fact that the battery pack sits directly behind the rear seat.

Power sun roof - weighs too much which would reduce mpg.

Larger tire and wheels - see power sun roof.

XM ready radio - as much as I would like to force the issue with Honda I already owned an XM radio that I had removed from my previous vehicle. Installation in the HCH was only $80.00 by Circuit City instead of the $400+ Honda wants and the $450 for the XM module. You can but an XM or Sirius radio for less than $100 plus installation and use the money saved for other fun things. I simply plug it into the auxillary port and it works great.
  • davem7davem7 Posts: 35
    I agree that the price for the integrated XM radio for the '06HCH is excessive.

On my '06HCH I have the integrated unit, on my previous '05HCH I had the "Roady" type.

I have found the difference in performance between the integrated and the "Roady" types to be considerable with the integrated superior.

As I understand it the integrated type has a dedicated frequency for XM, witb the "Roady" types you have about 8 FM frequencies to choose from. Depending on your location you may receive overriding interference from a non XM station on the same channel and it may require switching frequencies. This has never happened with the integrated type-there is no other frequency to switch to.

I've had no experience with Sirius.
  • ski49ski49 Posts: 3
    Sorry for the delay in replying.

I don't use the FM frequency mode for my Roady2. In my 2006 HCH there is an auxillary port that is directly compatible with the Roady2 using a simple standard connection available at any Radio Shack or similar store.

It will plug in right below the cigarette lighter and is also used to attach and MP3 player and similar items. Using this connection method gives almost exactly the same performance as the dealer installed unit. To hear the XM radio simply chose the AUX button.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Power sun roof - weighs too much which would reduce mpg. :( :sick:

22 lbs.

That is difference in curb weight of a car with power sunroof and without power sunroof with all other equipment being the same. The results were obtained using Mitsubishi Lancer.

Power Sunroof is not going to affect mileage in any significant manner at all whatsoever.
  • Windows down can actually increase gas consumption as well! Air-stream effect or something like that.
  • On my 2002 HCH is seemed as though I got better mileage with the windows closed and A/C on, but with my 2006 going the same speed and the same road I get better mileage with the A/C off and windows open. I don't care about aerodynamics and anything else, I just know my personal results.

Also, the 2006 is far superior to the 2002 in size, pep, and mileage.

I love this car.

Winds, hills, heavy foot will make a difference. I can control the last one, but not the first two.

Someone earlier mentioned the Accord Hybrid. We drove one prior to purchasing the Civic and chose the Civic.

The Accord is a SUPER car, but I could not justify the cost when it only got a couple of miles more per gallon. The performance was terrific and I could have gotten a lot of tickets with it but chose to pass. :)
  • oktokt Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2006 HCH with Navi - it says it's XM ready, but I can't seem to find any activation instructions. I already have XM in my wife's Acura, but this one has me stumped.
  • jberkjberk Posts: 1
    Has anyone out there tried a K&N high flow air filter in the civic hybrid. I know that I have gained some mileage with them on my other vehicles.

Is there any way to reprogram the system to allow the motor to not restart if you come to a stop and shift to park.

Does anyone know why Honda detentes the shifter to second instead of drive??
  • i bought this car at 98,000. it had the shutter and honda is now fixing it by putting in a new clutch. i am planning to do my own oil changes and transmission oil changes. parts are a problem. the dealer has had my car for two weeks. parts for the clutch and air conditioner could not be found locally. carquest sells all the oils and filters far cheaper than honda. i was advise to change the transmission fluid every 12000 and the oil every 3000-5000 depending on length of time the engine is on. 20 miles or more on open roads, each time you can get 5000 miles. stop and go on local streets every 3000 miles. i have heard that adjusting valves is very important. i have not found out yet how many miles before adjustment. does nayone know? stuart williamson - ca
  • two exact same vehicles run on a track one with all windows open the other with airconditioner on busted the myth that windows open caused so much drag it made the car more inefficient in miles per gallon. turns out the car with air on burned 15 % more fuel. stu
  • I've had my 2006 HCH for a little over 3 years now. It has been a great ride. I've managed to put 32,000 miles on it. A couple of oil changes, 1 full maintenance check, and things are ticking well for the most part.

MPG - is great when road tripping.I've maxed at 51 MPG. Ok in the city, maybe around 32 MPG. I drive mainly to work (about 11 miles total per day), it's stop and go traffic. In the colder/snowy months it's less, about 25-27 MPG. I've noticed recently when my battery guage is very low, the acceleration deteriorates, it's running mainly on gas at this point. I'm hardly a press the petal to the metal person, but when it's like this, I have to just to get it to move. The batter assistance/charging battery lights seem not to work properly when this happens. It doesn't assist (no battery power) and it doesn't seem to charge. But after a little bit of cruising, the battery power gets restored, and things (lights) start to function again.

RPM - In the colder months, my rpm's tend to jump up and down between 0 to 1 when I come to stops, instead of cutting off the gas. After a few miles, the car has warmed up and it settles down, but still keeps the RPM at at least 1. I've mentioned this to the mechanics, but nothing ever came of it. So, is this normal?

TIRE NOISE - I've been hearing a noise as my tires rotate. I go fast, the noise goes faster. It's not a break pad grinding, but something in the rotation. I thought it might be something with the tire bearings. Again, I've mentioned this to the mechanics, nothing came of it. So I've been driving with it for at least a year. It's not a bad sound, just isn't as silent as it was when I bought it. Could this be a problem I need looked at?

Other than those issues, the car works great! I'll be road tripping with it tomorrow. Saving gas and the world one gallon at a time. :) :)
  • cthach03cthach03 Posts: 3
    Hi There,

I have a 2004 HCH with 245,641 miles on it. My engine light is on and so is my malfunction light. Every now and then I have a little trouble start the car. I know I need to replace the IMA battery... I wonder if anyone knows what battery starts the car? The IMA or the small regular battery? I bought to the dealer and they said my regular battery is still good but I saw the battery light comes on when I have trouble starting my car. Thank you for your help ! Daisy- CA :confuse:
  • hello Honda civic hybrid owners my name is Manny from Brooklyn NY . and i have just bought an 05 Honda civic hybrid this car is nice looking but i have one problem when i put this car in drive and starts to move out there is some sort clucking noise. only on take off. one mechanic told me it was transmission mounts which i change and problem is still there. the car runs good after take-off until i come to a stop, again that noise on take-off. does any member know what cause this or have had this symptom before IF ANYONE KNOWS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. email edesvignes@aol.com
  • My '07 had the same issue. Very hard transmission engagement coming off of Auto-Stop. An IMA system update from Honda resolved the issue. If your HCH is "behind" on updates (I DO NOT recommend allowing them to do the most recent one if you can avoid it...TERRIBLE), that might resolve your issue.
2»
This discussion has been closed.