Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Hybrid MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• nilesboynilesboy Posts: 10
    I bought a 2006 Civic Hybrid new in 2006. I have 33,500 miles on the car. I started out getting 45 to 47 MPG city/highway driving for the first 2 years.
    On a trip from Fl. to W.Va. I even got 50 mpg.
    In January 2009 (after buying new tires) I began to get 38 mpg or less city/hwy. It keeps going down consistantly. Today I checked my mileage and it was 32 mpg city/hwy. Anyone out there have any answers? I use the same gas (sunoko, hess,BP, citgo, etc.)
  • I bought a new (06) civic hybrid in Jan. 2006, I have 35,000 miles on the car. Started out getting 47 mpg average for the first 2 years. In Jan. 2009 after putting on new expensive tires the mpg went down to 38 mpg. Today Sept. 15th, 2009 I checked after fillup and it was 35 mpg. I am a careful driver with no jack rabbit starts etc. Any suggestions? Could it be the Hybrid Battery? Please give me your opinion.
  • I am not an expert by any means, but I understand that tires make a big difference. Just that they are "expensive" doesn't mean anything in terms of gas mileage. Too much tread equals decreased gas mileage??? again, sorry not an expert.
  • I have a 2008 Civic Hybrid. I was averaging 47mpg and 50+ on the highway.
    Suddenly, my mileage dropped to the 39-40 range. I talked to the dealer about it and they had no clue. I changed several gas brands to no avail.
    So, I did a little test. I turned off the air conditioner for two to three days (that's torture in Florida in the summer) and sure enough the mileage started to climb.
    I also play golf once a week, sometimes twice, so I took my golf clubs out of the trunk and put them in the garage.
    Sure enough, my mileage climbed back to the 47 level with no A\C and no extra weight in the trunk.
    So, if you live in a hot climate, try the A\C trick, take extra weight out of the trunk and overinflate the tires by 2 or 3 lbs. each.
    During the hot days I still use the A\C and suffer the fewer miles.
    Can't wait for fall and the cooler weather to get back to normal. :shades:
    jt
  • As I mentioned before on this thread, I wasn't getting the mileage I expected after buying a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid on April 1, 2009. As I mentioned then, please take your Honda Civic Hybrid to any Honda Dealer and ask for a Fuel Consumption Test. They may have to keep your car for several days to do this.
    I have never gotten better than 39.9 miles per gallon driving in all conditions. I do have the A/C on a lot as we have been in the 100's the last of August and the first two weeks in September. This is sometimes with another passenger in the car, and sometimes with some weight in the trunk. I have to think that the ideal conditions to get MPG in the high 40's to 50 would be single driver, no A/C on, no extra weight in car, and factory recommended tires, (in the Owner's Manual), and reasonbly conservative driving habits. In this condition if you don't get at least 40 to 45 mpg, something may be wrong with your Honda Civic Hybrid. If you don't follow exactly what the owner's manual calls out in tires, that could make a difference. If you ignore the low tire pressure indicator, this can bite you also.
    I am going on a long trip this week-end and will have a chance to really check out highway mileage. Of course I will have another passenger, some luggage, and probably the A/C on. I think the EPA ratings on MPG should get real, and define what real MPG are with the conditions I just described. Otherwise, the MPG on the dealer's window stickers are always going to be high and GUESSING at what the REAL MPG are in average driving conditions/situations.
  • Living in the colder winter climates,people that own Civic Hybrids are now more than likely starting to experience the annual lose of between 7-10 Mpg!! This has been my dilema since the 08'/ 09 winter when I first started seeing this major loss of fuel economy. When I went to my dealership, they had no solutions or explanations.When I called Honda of America[corporate headquarters] they couldn't come with any answers either. Earlier this summer, I saw a report on the Weather Channel about hybrids & winter fuel losses due to the battery pack being cold & not functioning efficiently as when warm.This was the only report/explanation I have ever seen about this MAJOR problem w/hybrid batteries. Anyone else experiencing this winter loss of Mpg?
  • Not sure about the cold weather affecting the battery pack charge life. It is possible that it takes longer to charge. I would think that Honda could give you the specs. on the optimum battery temp. producing the best battery charge and discharge rate. On my Calif. 800 mile round trip, I averaged 42 mpg, w/passenger, A/C on, luggage in trunk. Driving around 200 miles in town and around 200 miles hwy. I average 37 mpg. Most auto mags, and consumer reports indicate this is about what to expect from the Honda Civic Hybrid, (37 mpg) average.

If anyone gets abouve 37 mpg, consider yourself ahead of the GAME!
  • mrwaugmrwaug Posts: 16
    I live in southean Idaho and get 50 mpg spring and fall, 46 during the summer with the A/C on and the lowest of 37 during the winter when temps drop below freezing.
    I dont think the drop in cold mileage is so much a problem due to the electral side of the powertrain. The internal combustion engine has always had been inhertently inefficent in cold weather,especally during warm up. The old carbureted engines used to have to be choked of almost all air to be able to get to start and run when cold, and the incoming air had to be heated to eliminate hesitation during acceleration. The new fuel injected engines are no different. The injectors are dumping fuel during start-up and warmup to get things running. Any why is this? Liquid gasoline does not burn. It needs to be a vapor or near vapor. when an engine is hot, and the intake air is hot, the fuel sprayed from the injuctors turns to vapor or at least stays in the form of small dropplets. Then the engine is cold, and the air is cold, the fuel does not vaporize, but tends to turn back into liquid fuel. By increasing the fuel mixture by llke 200% when cold, there is enough vaporized fuel to make the engine run properly.
    Add the fact that all of the liquids in the engine are thicker when cold, adds resistance to the powertrain.
    The Hybred engine is extreamly fuel efficent and can get 48mpg on the freeway with only using the battery to assist in acceleration. but everything that can cause resistance to the car (weight, low tire pressure,wheels missaligned, excessive speed,wrong motor oil, ect) will cause a dramatic drop in mileage.
  • I have posted this before and I still don't get anywhere near 40 MPG on a regular basis. We just took a 1,600 mile trip to NY. I average 39.5 MPG for the entire trip. That was with me contstantly watching the speedometer and never flooring the gas pedal. In town we only receive around 27MPG.

Of course the Honda dealer has never offered any help with this problem. Everytime we take it in for service they only shrug their shoulders and tell us the car has no problems.

Any advice? :lemon:
  • Anyone that gets an average of 50 to 46 mpg in a Honda Civic Hybrid needs to take the car to an independent testing station, have it torn apart, and see what secret component has been installed on the vehicle to enable it to get such excellent gasoline mileage. It's either that, or the car is being driven on a different planet, (one with much less mass than Earth). The fuel performance, in extremely cold weather, is an excellent dissertation, but sounds like a bunch of junk science.
  • I bought a 2009 HCH. During the summer I routinely got 48mpg. Starting this fall where there was a lot of rain, I started to see 44mpg. I suspect the windshield wiper usage and headlight must have cost the mileage. My commute is half local half highway, but rarely picks up speed on highway. I drive a little bit on the slow side, but keep up with the traffic from the traffic light.
  • mrwaugmrwaug Posts: 16
    51mpg spring/ fall wo a/c 47mpgsummer w a/c temp 90+ 39 winter temps below 35 degrees yearly average 45mpg. 2007 Civic 20000 miles, original tires.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    These forums cannot be used to organize legal actions, so please do not post information trying to organize class action lawsuits, links to lawyer's sites where you can join a suit, etc. as those posts will have to be removed.

If you have any questions about this, please click on my username and drop me an email and I'll be happy to discuss it there.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• I've had my 2008 HCH for 13000+ miles now and I get about 44 MPG. I keep the tires inflated about 2 or 3 PSI above manual, use 'name brand' gas, don't accelerate hard and coast when possible (heading to traffic light -- no need to hurry up to come to a complete stop!). Also, I try not to go over 65 on the highway, but usually keep it below 60, as drag increases exponentially (accelerating from 55 to 65 uses more fuel than going from 45 to 55). My commute is local ( ~15 miles, round trip), so I don't do a lot of highway driving, but when I do, I get over 50 MPG. You cannot drive *any* car like a sports car and get great gas mileage.

However, during the winter (this is my 2nd with the HCH), my MPG drops (per tank) to around 33-36. Need to check the tires more often (obviously), but the Hybrid engine simply does not perform as well when it is cold. For instance, the engine has to warm up before it turns off during stops (e.g. traffic lights).

At first, I thought perhaps the gasoline 'winter blend' had something to do with it, however we had some nice temps (mid 60's) during November and my MPG went back to 'normal.'
  • Sorry DJ, but you're not a normal driver. If I drove like 55 to 60 on Highways here in Southern Calif. and slower than speed limit in town, I would get run over. Again, if you get 50 mpg on the highway driving normally (70 to 75 mph) with factory recommended weight, and tire pressure, please take the car into an independent mechanic, and have him tear the car apart to see what secret module Honda has put into your vehicle. Gasoline brand has nothing to do with mpg. Wasting money on Premium Gasoline Does at Cost per MPG. Glad you are getting such fantastic MPG, Honda should give you a medal!
  • Thanks, I know I'm not 'normal' -- I'm better! :) But, seriously...

The drivers here in Jersey are as bad as anywhere (they've bled over from NY!), and I don't get run off the road (co-workers here give me the same excuse!). I can't possibly be that brave, I'm only 5'5"!!! (NJ has the highest population density in the US, so the congestion here is as bad, if not worse, as anywhere else.) Simply have to put the testosterone in check and remember that it's not a race out there; no prize for getting to the red light or exit ramp first! Unless you consider lower MPG a prize! (lol)

BTW, I didn't say that I use "premium" grade, I just avoid the 'independant' brands. I have tried them (during the price spike last year) and it really affected my MPG.
  • Also, driving 70-75 may be considered 'normal,' but it is not 'correct' (ie. legal) or even safe, and certainly not what the EPA numbers imply. Driving that fast and trying to get great gas mileage is against the law -- of physics, that is.

If you want to drive that fast, then don't waste your money on a hybrid, because you don't understand what it takes. As you parents may have told you: you cannot have your cake and eat it, too.
  • twrecktwreck Posts: 1
    I bought a used 2008 last year, got around 45 mpg around town. No fast starts, staying around speed limit. Interstate speeds (75) with AC running dropped to about 41 mpg. Installed K&N air filter and synthetic oil blend and saw highway mpg increase to 50 mpg. Just had the fist cold snap and it's dropped to aroung 34 mpg. Is it the cold weather?
  • Sorry, but it is legal on most of our Interstates in California to drive 70 mph. Most people drive 75 and 80. Of course 75 to 80 is looking for a ticket. CHP allows 5 mph over the speed limit, however should never go over that. If you're in a lot of stop and go traffic I don't know how you can possibly get above 40 mpg. I do not drive any car unrealisticly, speeding, driving in and out of traffic, racing, etc. as some of you infer. I try to keep the car at 70 mph on long trips. A lot of local driving is in 45 & 65 mph zones. If a car, I don't care if it's a Hybrid, can't be driven at the speed limit and get the recommended mileage, I'm not impressed with it, and the manufacturer's EMPG is a big lie. I have not had a traffic violation ticket in over 35 years. I do not intend to have to drive, (abnormally) a vehicle that doesn't live up to its claimed EPA MPG. If you want to drive like you're in a contest to see who can get the best MPG, then be my guest, but don't tell me how to drive in normal driving conditions.
    I've had more experience driving on all types of highways, in many different states, and countries in many different automobiles, and trucks, than most of you have had going to the bathroom. And oh, yes. Cold weather does affect the mileage of any vehicle.
  • I have a 2009 Civic Hybrid and this is my second winter with the car. The mileage was fine last winter - hovered between 38 and 40 - and very good over the summer. Over the summer, however, I had the dealer "fix" the IMA computer due to a recall and now my winter mileage is down to 35. The recall dealt with the programming of the IMA computer in areas that can have cold winters - the charge of the IMA batteries was apparently not recording properly, so the electric motor would not kick on as designed. That's what the recall said, anyway. The end result is that my mileage has been bad this winter, and it's been a pretty mild winter so far. It's been cold the past few days (low of 10 F and high of 22 F), but overall, it's been mild.