Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spoilers Spoil Good Design - Agree or Disagree?

124»

Comments

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,810
    For what it's worth I don't think most cars need spoilers. The speeds at which they would make a performance difference would put 90% of cars into the bushes.

But that's not the question is it. As far as spoilers destroying the design of the car it depends on the car. Some minivans have spoilers to deflect air across the rear window to keep it clean. I think that works.

Some cars do look better with a modest spoiler. The latest Mitsu Eclipse has a subdued spoiler that I think looks nice. However for 2008 they have an "SE" option that carries a huge wing that looks like they pulled it off an Evo. This makes the car look like a joke and spoils what I think is a pretty nice design.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Yup most spoilers would take effect long above most of the posted limits in this country (90-100mph) and even then it's minimal effect. On track they make a difference if you are running at those high speeds but few cars other than EVOs and STis even get use of them at the track.

-mike
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,981
    What's really funny is that most spoilers slow you down, and people put them on cars so as to look fast.

visiting host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    True True. Although they are made to give you more downforce on the car, giving it overall better traction and handling. Funny thing is Huge spoilers on FWD cars. Essentially you are pushing down on the rear of the car, pushing both the drive wheels and steering wheels up! So that doubbly defeats the purpose!

-mike
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    In terms of how critical spoilers are to high-performance (at least judging by how often they're part of the "sport package"), I guess someone oughta clue in the engineers of America's premier performance car, the Corvette. What are they thinking? ;)
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,695
    Odd that some of the better looking ones are on the vehicles that will least need them, the Honda Hybrids. Most others probably fail at their designated task, with no actual aero design work behind them, only styling.
  • daysailerdaysailer Posts: 711
    the discussion has focused on appearance, the spoiler as decoration, rather than function. I would argue that if a spoiler is needed for added downforce or to clean up turbulence (and few are in an on-road context), then the design was not very good in the first place. If a spoiler is not needed for those purposes then it is pointless and only adds drag and mass and may obstruct visibility to no useful purpose.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,155
    Stopped by the lot... Almost every new Jetta has a "factory" added spoiler..

Talk about ruining a nice German car.. :(

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• texasestexases Posts: 5,695
    Saw a last gen. 540i with a Pep Boys spoiler - ouch! Then two TLs with what must have been dealer add ons, ouch again. Talk about two car models that look better without a spoiler...at least I saw a Mustang GT without one, really looked good.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    Factory added spoilers are not functional. They are not designed to create any down force. The spoiler on my Accord sedan does nothing except make the car look a little more "sporty" IMO.

Some people will say sedans should never have a spoiler on them. But if a Mustang has a spoiler on it, that's completely acceptable, and considered normal. My niece has a Mustang convertible with a V6 engine. My V6 Accord can run circles around that car. I consider my Accord more sporty (as far as performance) than her Mustang. Yet a spoiler on my car is wrong. I don't get it. I think it looks better with the spoiler.
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,788
    I spied sitting side by side in a partking lot, two Mercury Montegos. Both had spoilers and fake convertible tops. It was quite an odd site because that is two more Montegos than I see on the average day.

With their glop tops and gold packages, these things never had a prayer of being sporty, so why the spoilers?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    I really like the job Mitsubishi did with my 2008 Lancer GTS' spoiler. Not only is it shaped attractively it also does not create the nuisance that some have complained it does on the net regarding rear sight view.

Yesterday while driving on I-10 I looked backed objectively several times to see if my view was blocked seriously. Nope-not-notta.

I like the '08 Lancer GTS spoiler design and the sedan is benefited by it IMHO.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

124»
This discussion has been closed.