Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Hybrid Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• Thanks everyone for the awesome info on these threads. Today I was offered Invoice + $800 in the San Francisco peninsula area, and I felt there was ~$200 more to be had if I'd been ready to sign. But my questions for you are:

1) Should I buy a 2005 HAH in August? I am poised to probably buy an HAH. Now that it is August, would you experts recommend buying a 2005 HAH now, as dealers presumably want to make room for 2006's? Or is it better to wait and buy a 2006? Will they be different cars in any way? If I have to pay a little more for a 2006, will that be worth it in terms of residual value when it comes to resale, or won't that matter if I assume I'll keep it more than 5-7 years and put 15-20k miles on each year?

2) I was offered the extended warranty (7 year, 100k miles, 0 deductible) for $1450, and I understand it costs the dealer about $900. I usually assume warranties are overpriced, but was thinking I might take it for peace of mind at $1050 or so (Prius has a much better warranty as I understand it). What are others paying for the extended warranty? Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks again for the help,

R
  • cal_calcal_cal Posts: 39
    I bought mine for invoice minus 700 in Ohio without any extra warranties. I think at invoice plus 800 in SF, you got a good deal. I dont beleive there will be many changes to the 2006 model. The HAH is a fine car. Go, get it. You could wait till the 2006 model comes out and then buy a 05 HAH if one is still available.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    In your negotiations, you should consider that the 2005 hybrid may get you a federal tax DEDUCTION. If you wait until January 1, 2006, there will be a much more advantageous federal tax CREDIT. Bush signed the Energy bill today.

The sales manager at the dealership is well aware of that nuance. Do they want you to buy now? Or do they want you to wait a few more months? My bet is that they want sales now and will try to make it worthwhile to you. If not, say goodbye and tell them that you will shop down the road.

Also, don't be in a rush to buy an extended warranty, especially at the price you were quoted. You have up to three more years to decide. You may want to check jayhondacare.com or curryhondacare.com.
  • dave67dave67 Posts: 4
    First - thanks for the helpful info.

I was ready to wait for the new tax law till Jan, till I go this quote from a local dealer: $25,800

Is this as good as it looks to me? Should I be aware of anything when I go see them?
  • zoranzoran Posts: 68
    Wont be 2006 NEW REDESIGNED MODEL?
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    No zoran, the 2006 Accord sedan is a 2005 Accord sedan with a refreshed front grille and a new tailight configuration, plus a few other updates. The 2008 Accords will be of a totally new design.
  • Since no one was really posting here I thought it was better to post in the normal accord buying folder, but maybe I should cross post this here.

We just bought a Hybrid Accord w/o NAV (sorry blane, but the extra 1800 was just too much) for a little more than $500 UNDER invoice. We used the internet to talk to several dealerships in orange county, CA and some were a little slow to respond but we got the best responses from the Honda dealership in Anaheim (their internet staff was honest and attentive) and the one in Costa Mesa. We went with the Costa Mesa location.

I almost walked on the deal when they sprung a $249 price on splash guards and wheel locks that they "put immediately on all EX models" but we talked them down on that way too high price. We were prepared to walk at any time, but the transaction went pretty smoothly. They tried to sell me the extended warranty for a "low" price of $1350 after starting at around $2000 (god who jumps on that 2000$ warranty?)- they showed me that it costs them 950 dollars so they are only making $400. I wish I could make $400 on a 5 minute transaction. The finance guy was pretty cool though about us declining everything and we drove away more than happy. BTW this is my first car with XM radio and I'm already addicted. This is definitely not the accord of even 10 years ago. With the leather it almost feels like a luxury car.

Two things added here that I didn't put in my original post

1. The $500 under invoice included the 515$ destination charge so it was more like $1000 under invoice.

2. When I talked to the salesman on the phone he said they had 2 in my color. When we got to the lot he brought out the key and pointed out a nice clean one in the front. Upon further inspection I noticed tons of swirl marks on the hood and two cuts in the paint on the rear bumper- the car also had 100 miles on it. I kept looking at the paint and I was ready to walk away from the deal when the salesman left for a while- then he came back and I was ready to tell him we were leaving when he said he found another of the same color way in the back by the service area. That car was dusty, but perfect and it had only 35 miles on it!

The lesson is don't buy a car unless you're completely happy with it.
  • Don't wait for the new tax law. I understand that taking delivery in 2005 will result in a $2,000 tax DEDUCTION. At a 27% marginal tax rate, the net benefit is $540. (Use your own appropriate marginal tax rate.)

Based upon info from http://www.ucsusa.org/hybridcenter/incentives.cfm ,
    the Honda Accord Hybrid would yield a $650 tax CREDIT.

The difference is only $110 benefit year-over-year by waiting for 2006 new tax law.
  • Hey lipitorkid,

I am researching a hybrid vehicle for my next car...There is not much choice in this sector and have narrowed the choice down to an Accord Hybrid. I have been looking for about a couple of weeks in NJ and am getting the following numbers:
    1. HAH without navigation- $26,100 (incl. destination charges)
    2. HAH with navigation- $28,000 (incl. destination charges)

Can you folks please elaborate on what the numbers are like on the 2005 models (with or without navigation)? If anyone from NJ, NY or PA can reply, I will appreciate it.
  • Those are good prices.

if you figure that the HAH w/o navigation retails for 27100 and that doesn't include the $500 destination charge then your savings on a quote of 26,100 (which included destination) is $1500 under invoice.

If you can get it in the color you like and without biting on the extra add-ins it sounds like a good deal to me.
  • How much did you pay for your Hybrid lipitorkid? Do you know if there are any special financing incentives going on? (like 2.9% APR for 36 mos)

I cannot seem to find the forum that has MORE pricing posts on the Honda Accord Hybrids? I am assuming I am looking in the right forum...Can someone please direct me?
  • I live in the Dallas Fort Worth Area. I about to pull the trigger on a Hybrid.

This from the sales rep:
    The big thing for now and the next 3 days is that Honda Finance is offering 2.9% up to 36 months financing, 3.9% up to 48 months and 4.9% up to 60 months. That is as good as it ever gets with Honda and I know it is as good or better than anything out there. Of course, that would be with approved credit.

I presume this is nationwide. If you find a dealer who will discount off MSRP down to invoice- they are becoming rare as hen's teeth with gas prices the way they are.
  • Living in Dallas Fort Worth, I just bought the Accord Hybrid with NAV. Think I got a good deal considering the times:

MSRP $32,655
    Bankston Honda of Lewisville $28,450
    David McDavid Honda of Irving $31,840
    David McDavid Honda of Frisco MSRP
    Honda Cars of McKinney $29,994.23
    Huggins Honda $30,862
    The above prices include destination, but not TTL.
    I did get a dealer add on Tint $499 and convenience package ($199)
    With TTL, out the door for $30,809. Also the benefit of 2.9% APR.

For those in DFW, the internet department at Bankston Honda made this an easy purchase with minimal waiting and no hassle.
  • I am negotiating with my dealer for a 2006 Hybrid Accord. Prices are not even available yet. I decided on the 2006 because of the changes especially the vehicle stability control feature. What should I expect to pay....MSRP or am I find that I can negotiate a deal under MSRP?? He wants a $3000 deposit to order. Is that unreasonable?

Thanks,
    Al Fife
  • djr3djr3 Posts: 22
    Al,

Here in Austin, I put down a $500 deposit for a 2006 HAH a couple of weeks ago. The price wasn't out yet, so we wrote the deal out as "MSRP". I was expecting to pay that given it would be the first in the new model year. That was before the recent gas price hike which I believe may stimulate demand for hybrids in general. So I am not expecting too much discounting. But $3000 down seems outrageous, especially since my dealer said they wouldn't hit the lot until November.

Dan
  • 2005 HAH w/o Navigation
    MSRP: $30,100
    Invoice: $27,100

I paid 26,400 and that included the $515 destination charge.
    with all the fees, taxes (CA tax is around 8% :cry: ) it came out to around 29K
  • Lipitorkid,
    What dealer, city and state if you do not mind? Thanks.
  • Power Honda of Costa Mesa in Southern California
  • Ouch!!! No Way! Not only is it unreasonable but it is close to unethical :confuse: . Note that $200 to $500 is the norm...it is for good faith...not for his retirement. Walk! No, run! You will get the 2006 HAH for MSRP at almost any dealer!
  • It was a $3,000 deposit not $3,000 more than MSRP. When 2005 HAHs are selling $2,000 under MSRP even in these high gas price days, MSRP for a new one seems high. I gues it must be a really, really nice sunroof.
This discussion has been closed.