Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Corvette Z06

xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
edited July 2014 in Chevrolet
Lots of Z06 info here

New Corvette Z06

The new Z06 is now rated at 505 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque

check here

New ratings

Here is an in-depth article about the LS7

New LS7

Check here for the Z06's floor panels

Flooring it

A video of the hand-built LS7

small block

Check out the factory Corvettes in racing

racing

Check here for red and black Z06s

(They aren't production cars)

Red and black Z06s

Aluminum chassis and other cool stuff

Comments

• 4plus3vette4plus3vette Member Posts: 5
    Great page xkss. Thanks for sharing.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    check the link

New Z06
  • starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
    From the Edmunds article:
    " ... run the quarter-mile in the mid-11-second range and top out at 190 mph."

I don't go to the drags much but I seem to remember that in the 13's you needed a helmet, in the 12's they wanted more safety gear and if you got to the 11's you had to have a full roll cage. Don't know if this was local or something that might apply everywhere. With me driving I don't think the 11's would be a risk, based on my times in the C5.
    Randy
    Only 199 Corvettes were ordered with the Z06 package for the 1963 model year.

check the links

Z06 one

Z06 two

BTW, thanks for the Z06 history links.

Yesterday I got to see the new Z06 at the Sonoma Grand Prix practice day, sorry no pics but I'll try to get a link later. Impressions, it was in the shade under a tent right next to a C6 coupe and the wider stance is noticable and really looks like a race car that is on steriods. The only surprising thing was the wider body seems to have left more room beside the headers than in either the C6 or the C5 Z06, I'm guessing for better heat dissapation, but I could be very wrong. The tires are massive, the brakes look like they will stop a truck, or something going 150mph, ;) and the interior is good looking but I really didn't focus on it.

I talked to two of the instructors from the Spring Mountain Motorsports Park in Parump, NV that I had met when taking a class almost 2 years ago who had driven up in a current Z06 and a Z51 C6 and they noted that since interest in taking classes in the new car was so high that they would be looking to get them, when available. I expect there will be waiting lines at most volume dealers for at least a year.
    Randy

http://racebeat.com/Infineon2005.htm

Look at second of 4 pics and notice the flare from the top of the fender to the lip on the first and second cars in line.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Absolutely hot!

M
    The official time for the new Corvette Z06 at the Nurburgring is 7:43.

Nurburgring
  • sensaisensai Member Posts: 129
    I don't go to the drags much but I seem to remember that in the 13's you needed a helmet, in the 12's they wanted more safety gear and if you got to the 11's you had to have a full roll cage. Don't know if this was local or something that might apply everywhere.
    Helmets for 13s and below. Used to be roll cage needed for 11s and below, but they changed it recently so you do not need a cage unless you are faster than 11.5. Those are, I believe, IHRA rules which most dragstrips follow.
  • llumpirellumpire Member Posts: 5
    Anyone seen the Interior/Exterior Color Options yet. Hope they have something to make this car even more special.
  • gbjerkegbjerke Member Posts: 158
    A bit of memory here, but black, red, silver, Lemans blue at $300 and yellow at $750 and an orange which I am waiting to see in real life.
    Memory again, but I think there are 3 interior choices...black obviously; then I think maybe the mod red and I think a silver/black combo.
  • typhon1991typhon1991 Member Posts: 64
    The orange is Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic which is an availible color in the 05 C6's. Your 3 interior choices are Ebony, Ebony/Titanium, and Ebony Red
    Check the link

New Corvette Z06's aluminum chassis

The article says that the 2006 Z06 has 505 hp which is false. It has 505 hp.
    Recent rule changes in the GT1 class of the American Le Mans Series should make for a great race this weekend at Road America.

Check the first two links dated 7-15-05

link one

link two

The two Corvette C6-Rs will carry an additional 55 pounds at Road America.

55 pounds
    The new Z06 has a top speed of 198 mph.

The new Z06's Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMTs are speed rated to 205 mph on the test track.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Rolled up to the Woodward Dream Cruise last Thursday and got passed by a new red Z06 with plant plates on it heading north near Toledo. The hood scoop caught my eye as he came up on me in the next lane over. May have been someone going up to give a presentation to the Corvettes at Woodward event run by the Museum. I only got a sideways glance at the driver as he passed, but it looked a little like Dave Hill who I met a couple of months ago at the Museum. I was driving my Chrysler 300M [for the same event at Woodward] and doing about 70 mph, and he eased by me doing about 75-80 and although I thought about catching up, I decided that Ohio was not a good state to go quite that fast so I just watched as he struggled with the traffic for a while and then he was gone. Would have liked to have caught him at a gas station but no luck. :shades:
    The European-spec C6 Z06 has 511 (DIN) hp.

check the link

New Z06
    Johnny O'Connell, Ron Fellows, and Oliver Gavin are three of the four factory Corvette Racing drivers.

Johnny O'Connell

Oliver Gavin

Ron Fellows
    from the latest Motor Trend

Skidpad = 1.02 g

This car is going to own so many sports cars/sedans it is hilarious!

:shades:
    I think the new Z06 is the coolest Corvette since 1967.
    having see one and the impression it gives just sitting, I can't imagine what it will be like to drive one. Expect my determination to sit on the money will be overwhelmed by what it has to offer, amazing bang for the buck.
    Randy
    Starrow----
    You and me both. I think Chevy hit a grand slam on this one.
    Had an '01 Z and moved to an '03. Pretty awesome cars but with some complaints. It appears GM has covered all these and more although I have heard little about the seats which really sucked in the C5's.
    Mega horses/torque; maintained light weight; trans/diff cooler; dry sump' 6/4 piston stoppers...the list does not quit. BANG FOR THE BUCK is a given.
    So now I salivate....pay thru the nose now for that proverbial instant gratification or wait 6 months and save 5-10k.
    I'll have one...just depends on whether the testerone over rules the brain!!!
    While I agree with both of you, I don't think the "bang for the buck" phrase holds true for the Z06 as it does with a WRX. The new Z06 uses carbon fiber, aluminum, magnesium, titanium, etc in ways that previous Corvettes have not. It really has moved up a notch.
    Problem with performance on the cheap .... I see lots of WRX's and Evo's at the track along with most everything that drives and those two are a step above until you get to the Vette. But, they are ralley cars and on the track they have a high COG and I've seen lots of Evo's roll, several WRX's into walls and hills, it is way beyond the percentage they make up of the on track cars. Seems that combination attracts more desire for speed than brains to harness it at the limits and not beyond. The Vette, while I've seen a couple and heard of several into walls doesn't seem to exceed it's on track percentage with it's off track excursions.
    As for the new Z06, I can only hope that remains to be true! But it is a great bang for the buck, while still an expensive ride and that just means the performance is way beyond street normal. I would be very careful in something that far beyond my couple years of track experience.
    Randy
    Just back a little while ago from the 11th Ann. celebration at the NCM in Bowling Green. One of the things you could try for today was a ride in the new Z06. I didn't try for that raffle, but about 16 people did get rides. They had 4 of them in different colors taking the people out on a nearby road. I was helping with the parking of cars for event, and got to see them rip by as they blasted out from the gate. Nice sound, and they appeared pretty quick to say the least. They were gone round the bend in a flash. Dave Hill was on hand too. Attendance seemed a little light compared to last year, but it could be the $3.29 a gallon for high test [$25 limit in effect nearby so they don't gouge too much out of each customer at any one station.], the storm result. or fear of a gas shortage [which there was not in this area]. I was down there for two fabulously clear and sunny days though. I get my new red C-6 tomorrow when they call me to tell me I won the raffle. lol Those tickets are $10 and unlimited sales. They also still have some $100 tickets left on the yellow convertible which will also be drawn tomorrow, with only 2006 tickets to be sold. They have 350 left, and will draw it anyway so the odds are pretty good. Think you can still get in by calling the Museum tomorrow and ordering over the phone. :shades:
  • iturkiturk Member Posts: 1
    How come the latest road and track measured this car at [email protected] with a 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. Then in the middle of the magazine you see Chevy's insert 11.7@125 with a 0-60 of 3.7 sec. R&T goes on to say that it is slower than a Viper and FEELS slower as well. Hard to belive the figures could be so off. I know Chevy is VERY agressive with their figures but this gap is unreal!!!
    Motor Trend (Oct) just tested the animal.
    0-60 in 3.5
    1/4 mile [email protected]
    So did Car and Driver and right now I can't find it (wife must be reading it--LOL).
    Anyway, they turned similar #'s as I recall.
    Well the big mags have there say on straight line but here is some road course info:

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103066

Knowing how hard it is to learn a 2.2 to 3 mile track I really can't imagine the Ring!
    Randy
    It's under the passenger side fuel rail cover towards the back/windshield... so you have to remove the red fuel rail cover to see it.
    Well, I got no call on the raffle at the Museum, so I guess I got stiffed again on the drawing for a C-6. Oh, well, maybe next time. Still time I think to get a ticket for the "build your own Z06" raffle, but the ticket cost is out of my budget--I think they are $500 each, but a very limited number being sold. Too much car for this old man anyway. :shades:
    I think that you may have to wait longer than 6 months. It is limited production (6000 total) Our dealership sold our 2 allocations 3 months ago for 10k over list. You may get stuck waiting a year or 2 if you don't want to pay the premium.
    6,000 units? Motor Trend and I think Road and Track said 10,000 units...and yes, I may have to wait a bit like I did for my '01. May '01 it was sticker plus 3,500; end of May it was sticker. Bought in early July for 5k under so a 2 month wait saved me 8,500. Granted, '02's were about to hit the ground but 20 ponies and HUD did not make it worthwhile.
    Same with my '03. Bought in August '03 when the '04's were about to hit. However I bought for invoice less the rebate at the time.
    I wonder what the production numbers were for '01. Maybe you have that info.
    When I first heard of the content on the C6 Z I toyed with the idea of the "instant gratification" and there are several dealers out there selling for sticker so the temptation was there. However, I live in snow country so another couple months or so of driving and it will be put to bed for the winter. Just not worth it if one considers the potential deals out there next April/May.
    According to the chevylaunch website which is accessible for dealers only. They said that Bowling Green is capable of producing 33,000-34,0000 Corvettes per year. They are estimating 15-20% will be Z06. Supplies will be tight. Dealer a :) llocation is based on 2005 years sales. Chevy stated that there will be some certified Corvette dealers who won't get a single Z06. The difference between the 2001 and the 2006 is the 06's are sold before they get here, the 2001's weren't. Laws of Supply and demand. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.
    2001:
    1YY07 Base Coupe $40,280 15,681 44%
    1YY67 Base Convertible $46,805 14,173 40%
    1YY37 Base Hardtop - Z06 Model $48,0555 5,773 16%
    Total: 35,627 100%

2003:
    1YY07 Base Coupe $43,475 12,812 36%
    1YY67 Base Convertible $50,375 14,022 40%
    1YY37 Base Hardtop - Z06 Model $51,275 8,635 24% Includes Comm. Ed.
    Total: 35,469 100%

2004:
    1YY07 Base Coupe $43,735 16,165 47%
    1YY67 Base Convertible $50,735 12,216 36%
    1YY37 Base Hardtop - Z06 Model $51,585 5,683 17%
    Total: 34,064 100%

So, the 24% was very high, but the 2006 is filling new demand and so could
    exceed that. As noted, it will be interesting to watch. Not yet ready to
    pony up sticker, which I'm thinking with basic options and tax will be $75k+-.
    check out automobilemag.com and autoweek.com for Z06 pictures.

The new LS7 is hand-built

check these links

(note the signature)

LS7 link two

LS7 link two
    Not so sure I agree with your comment on the "difference between the '01 and '06 is the '06's are sold before they get here, the '01's weren't." Remember, the '01 Z06 was the original (other than the early 60's option) and they came out with an additional 35 ponies as compared to the standard C5, lighter weight, firmer suspension etc.---it was an "unknown quantity" as such so they may not have been "pre-sold" per your definition. However, the demand was huge once they were introduced and the dealers priced it accordingly. It was sticker + everywhere. It was 5-20k over all over the country.
    The '06 content was well publicized long before introduction and it is GONZO so many were "pre-sold" per your definition, BUT the buyers are going on the history of the Z06, not a new and unknown model.
    Sure, there are a ton of "gotta have it now" guys and they are your "pre-sold's". Many others will wait it out, myself included. We well know the resale value of Vettes drop like a rock and that is big enough of a hit to have a performance car, and to pay a premium when it comes out is for a select few. The new Z is getting dangerously close to 911 range for price and while the Z will outperform it, many look to the value after say 2 years, and all of a sudden the extra for a 911 at inception, returns these $$$ PLUS.
    Just my thoughts.
    Starrow-- Thanks for the production numbers. Looks like 5,700 for '01; 8,500 for '03 and 5,800 for '04 so it does not appear that the C6 Z06 numbers will be much different.
    Also, your pricing numbers are right on. I'd want the 65,800 base plus the 2LZ package plus the polished wheels and that turns out to be 70k. Add tax and you are right at 75k.
    It's a bummer to wait but will see what the market is next spring.
    The new Z06 does cost more than the C5 Z06, but Porsche hasn't fixed the RMS (rear main seal) leaks of 911s (except for the GT2, GT3, and Turbo which have a much more expensive and racing-derived engine) and Boxsters.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    On Saturday I test drove a new 2005 911 S Cab (997) with my wife and kids in the rear seat. I was told the RMS problem was overblown and that, with proper break in, had not been a problem in 996's and Boxters. In fact, there was an absolutely pristine 2000 Boxster on the lot that had been recently traded on a 911. It had 155,000 miles on the odometer - and was driven as a daily driver nearly 30,000 miles a year. Never so much as anything other than routine service and oil and tire changes and it was still on the original clutch. The interior looked no worse for the wear and one might have thought the car had 15k miles on it, instead of 155k. Please advise me as to whether you know any sources of information on the RMS leak issue and how it might have been (or not) addressed in the 997. Thanks.

It appears that the new Corvette L7 has the raw performance to match or beat many more expensive cars and exotics. However, I am still skeptical of build quality and can't get past the Chevy level fit and finish. I admit am unlikely to use more than 80% of the capability of a 911 S without professional training, so "uber-performance" is not my holy grail. Otherwise I would be on the wait list for a Ferrari 430. But as good as the Corvette performance looks on paper, I don't want to grip a Malibu type steering wheel (someone else's analogy here) or look at a dash that has the aesthetic quality of my 1978 Datsun. And I really hate rattles and squeeks. It just seems that as long as the Corvette falls under the GM umbrella, it will be plagued by these shortcomings. Perhaps GM needs to spin off the Corvette??
    You bring up some legit questions that have been discussed on other Vette forums.
    Fit/Finish--not even close to Japanese/German standards. Not so much the "fit" aspect, but the paint job is terible. Orange peel a novice painter would be ashamed to turn out.
    Many have panned the dash as "cheap/plastic looking". Frankly, I don't mind it a bit. It's functional and I could care less about any wood trim/chrome/brushed aluminum/carbon fiber etc. Seats, at least in the C5 version suck. Very poor bolstering for a sports car. Maybe they have corrected in the C6.
    As far as "rattles/squeaks", I think Chevy remedied that in the original C5 in '97. The previous generations of Vettes were notorious for these but I have seen no complaints for the C5. I had an '01 Z06 and now an '03. 50,000 miles between the two of them and have NEVER had a single squeak or rattle.
    To me build quality is just fine, in fact, it exceeded my expectations. Paint is a bummer but my Z's have been yellow so not so noticable. Have always admired Porsche paint. I swear, they look like they were "hand dipped". I suspect each one has been wet sanded and buffed before it leaves the factory whereas Chevy lets robots spray the color and let it fly out the door.
    Then again, I like the Vettes for their performance vs. the cost factor and other than the above complaints, I have been a happy camper.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Thanks for the reply and congratulations on getting the car that suits your needs and preferences. We should all be so lucky. :)

I have just given the go ahead on a 911 S Cab. Getting a substantial discount on a leftover (but new) 2005. However, given that it's about the same as I've paid for my last 2.75 cars, I may still have some buyer's remorse. At least I can pop my girls in the back seat for a family ride to offset my guilt!
    Hey Habitat---forget the "buyers remorse" bit.
    The 911 S Cab is an awesome sled with a "fun factor" built right in!
    My wife may disagree, but my mantra is that you only go around once in life so one damn well better enjoy the ride. How's that for an easy solution!
    Enjoy your new ride!
    The 2006 Z06 doesn't have the Malbu's steering wheel.

Chevy will likely upgrade the interior of the C6 in a few years. No private owner has even driven their new C6 Z06 to test for rattles.

Yes, I do know of sources of information on the RMS leak issue and how it might hasn't been addressed in the 997.

The Corvette is sold in Cadillac dealers in Europe. It has 512 hp (DIN) over there.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Gents:

I'm considering buying a leftover '05 C6 but have some concerns. The car I'm looking at doesn't have the sports seats--are they worth waiting for on an '06? Second, I haven't seen any good info on changes for the '06 model--does anyone have details or a link for info on the changes? Finally, the car I may buy has zero options--are there any "must haves" that make it worth ordering (e.g. upgraded stereo or Z51)?

Thanks
    I guess it depends on what you want and even then it's personal. Spending the price of a Vette I wouldn't want one without the HUD (heads up display) but that is just from spending 4 years in a C5, very addictive, and I look for it in all else I drive and am disappointed. As to what comes with it, the sport seats are nice but the pass through for harness is the biggest deal and that may not be an issue. The Z51 is a function of if you see yourself ever going to the road course, if so you sure would be happier with it if you have a 6sp, with auto, not sure it's a big deal.

I think a base Vette is probably for someone who wants performance, isn't worried about any extra comforts, like memory seats and mirrors, and wants to unload it after a couple years knowing that the market sometimes will just be looking for lowest price available.

Not sure the '06 has many real changes vs. '05. But, I'd want a pretty good deal to take a no option unit off the floor, especially is it sat for any time.
    Randy
    I agree with Randy on the HUD. I consider it the best feature of my 04 aside from the torque. Can't tell if the Magnetic Selective Ride has been worth the money since I have never taken the dial off of it, and I never rode in one without it. But the HUD is a must. :shades:
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought much about the HUD, but I really don't care about the other stuff like memory seats and mirrors because my wife will only get to drive this car AFTER SHE RIPS THE KEYS FROM MY COLD, DEAD, FINGERS! (Especially after she ripped the front air dam off my 04 330CiC). So, the settings should remain constant until the next owner changes them...

I apologize for posting to the wrong board--I'll copy to the "All things" board so I don't clutter up the Z06 discussion.
    The 2006 Corvette has a new 6 speed automatic transmision.
    So, you are at 5k over sticker. Exactly the options I want and LeMans is my second choice of color. Am sure it will go, but the Vette gurus will wait it out til the pricing settles. BTW, there are several dealers who are going sticker only.
    Good luck!
    Great car for someone who didn't plan ahead. The dealers going sticker mostly have waiting lists from last year, I will admit, so getting in line now will take some time. Can't blame anyone for wanting to maximize return on a limited availability car so I too wish you luck. Instant gratification for me will have to be taking the stock engine C5 coupe to the track and seeing if I can pass a few things, maybe even something more powerful or more expensive. Mod the driver, then a new Z06 might not be lethal!

Wish I could post a link to the Viper wreck at Spring Mt. Motorsports Park last weekend, no one seriously hurt, but it's on another site that can't be mentioned. Having more HP than training is not a good thing!
    randy
    Randy--
    How right you are regarding "having more HP than training is not a good thing."
    Just returned from a weekend at Road America and you see it every school.
    Have some interesting video from a couple years ago. Lining up in pit lane, had the camcorder going and you can hear this awesome rumble coming up along side me. The lumpy cam could be heard big time and along side me comes a highly modded Viper. Gonzo adjustable wing on the back; Hoosier tires...all I could think was "I hope he goes first or I'll have to wave that bad boy by me before I get out of the pits." I get the "go" ahead of him. I round the first turn and look in my mirror...he is a ways behind me so after turn 3 I look again as 3-5 is a long straight. He is further behind. Never saw him again during the 1/2 hour session. My son was timing us...turns out I was picking up 5-7 seconds per lap on him.
    Certainly, his car had the advantage but as you indicate, if the driver is not accomplished, all that horespower just won't cut it.
This discussion has been closed.