Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester

Comments

• http://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?pg_name=ccpmapp/card_acquisitions/unsolicited- /page/PFSCreditCardDetails&sourcecode=4X4B

Up to $500 per year, 3% of purchases. No annual fee.

Bucks are good for 4 years so you can save up to $2,000 towards a new car. Check the application for details as I am not sure whether current ownership is required or not. I do know that you can't spend the bucks unless the VIN number is written on the coupon.

John
  • au1994au1994 Posts: 784
    thanks John, I'll check it out and see if its for me.

While browsing at the dealer Sunday, read in peace, I noticed some cars marked "pre-price increase". Is this just typical dealer BS or is there really an increase coming? Since Subaru seems to be struggling, I would not think this would be a good move.

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

• For the record, the Subaru Forester has never had a hatch window. You have always had to open the tailgate.
  • There is always a slight price increase when the new model year arrives, but it is usually not much. For the record, Subaru is not struggling. They just came off of a record 2005 year.
  • $98. is a reasonable price if your having it installed (try installing it yourself and you will see why)It will not keep bugs off the windshield but will protect the front of the hood from rock chips. They do not make any noise if you use the Subaru product and it is put on correctly.
  • kumarikumari Posts: 72
    I just got an e-mail from a dealer saying to stop "buy" this weekend. They will have some X automatic Foresters for 19,995...exactly 1000 less than a month ago...

Is this price for an X Premium, or just a regular X? I'd be curious as to what this dealership is quoting for a base XT Limited in the automatic - does it say on the email??

I was also told there is to be a March sales event. The dealerhip near me ordered the XT Limited in the color I wanted and I'm waiting until March to buy it. Now wondering what they're gonna be offering as deals on the XT Limited in other parts of the country.

I could use this info to negotiate a better price, if one is to be had elsewhere. It's getting down to the wire now, so this info would be VERY helpful for me.

Thanks in advance,

Samantha
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    Even for a regular X automatic it's a spectacular price, almost unbelievable. Here in my area the base invoice is $21,870, there's $904 in holdback and the rebate is $1000. I'd watch out for added fees, maybe they didn't include destination at $625 (but even then it's a good deal).

No word yet on March incentives, we should know later today.
  • au1994au1994 Posts: 784
    thanks outback1, that is what I suspected.

Sorry about being misinformed, guess you can't always believe ehat you read. ;)

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

• kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    I was right they did up the incentive to 2,000 bucks, but I was told it is ONLY on the X's and not the XT's or premiums...

So, my girlfriend was going to buy anyway and is now a very happy camper...
  • busheybushey Posts: 3
    Occking, if you are getting quoted 22,874 against a sticker price of 25,570 take every chance you have to buy that vehicle. Looks to me you are buying it 1 hundred over invoice. Did you have to haggle your way there or was it your initial starting price. The largest Subaru dealer in the nation has a set price on all there Subarus of 112 over invoice. So it looks like you are getting a good deal.
    Au1944-the pre-price increase is not a dealer gimmick. All '06 Subaru models experienced a price increase of 200 on two different occasions.
    Kavoom-If your dealer told you the X and X premium had a different rebate he is wrong. in the '05 models there was a distinction b/c the x premium was called the XS. In 2006 it is considered the same for incentives.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Stereo - keep in mind it's a double-DIN opening. Be glad, as that is nearly universal, so you can put in whatever you want aftermarket. OE stereos tend to be poor anyway, just swap it out, no biggie.

And here the Legacy GT owner are complaining that they can't go aftermarket for the stereos, so Subaru just can't win, I guess.

X3 handles slightly better, sure, but ride is extremely harsh. I felt every seam in the pavement on our drive at FedEx Field, and the one we had was not even the Sport suspension. And before you call me a sissie, I went home with the "Best Performance" award, that miniature orange cone they hand out at the end of their events.

The handling of the X3 is maybe 10% better, but the ride is about 30% more harsh. Too high a price to pay for most people.

Perhaps Subaru could offer a Sport package on the XT, with 17" rims and the suspension off the Cross Sport model in Japan.

-juice
    Bummer, no $2000 for the Premium, eh?

I've now saved up $500 in Subaru Bucks, so that would have been a substantial discount on an '06 Premium. I may wait to see if the 07s get stability control and SportShift.

-juice
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "The handling of the X3 is maybe 10% better, but the ride is about 30% more harsh. Too high a price to pay for most people"

For another opinion and for what it's worth I couldn't disagree more. The Forester is a great car for the money and IMO the X3 is a better car for more money with much better handling and a much smoother chassis. Of course if one has only $25K to spend the point is moot, but for the additional $$$ you get a better handling car with more luxury features.... that may not be faster in the straight line. But so what?
    Not sure what exactly you mean by that, but you feel and hear even small bumps while driving the base X3 suspension, imagine the Sport. I'm not saying the chassis flexes, just that you feel the impact harshness of even small bumps.

Put it this way, a Forester can absorb a bump better than a WRX, but an X3 is not as smooth as a 3 series wagon. Perhaps it's the extra mass. At the BMW store, I'd get the 3er wagon instead.

The 2.5l model was a bit slow off the line, fine after that, but they dropped it anyway. The 3.0l engine is fine, no complaints there at all.

-juice
  • dirtbagdirtbag Posts: 57
    I've been planning for months to buy a Hyundai Tucson but was swayed by the recent consumer reports top 10 and a test drive, to get a Forester instead. I drove a manual X Premium. I plan to buy within the next several weeks.

I live at 8000 feet and the model with manual transmission seems to have plenty of power for the type of driving I do. I had been planning to get a new car with automatic, since I'd like to eventually have a remote starter installed. (Remote starters won't work with manual transmission.) But I'm not sure how important the remote starter is to me.

My question is, will the automatic make a significant reduction in perceived power on hills and when passing? I told the dealer I may return to try an automatic but thought I'd ask for opinions here first. Has anyone here test driven both and decided to buy one way or another based on performance?
    Power is a relative thing, if you've only driven other 4 cylinder competitors you'd find 173hp more than adequate. If you got a taste of the turbo, forget it.

Having said that, auto starters burn a lot of gas. It only takes my Forester about 2 miles to warm up, and by then it's putting out good heat, even on a frosty day.

Consider the Premium package for the heated seats. Those warm up even quicker, by the time you're at the bottom of the driveway.

-juice
    I find it difficult to drive two miles when the windshield if frosted up, inside and out. Thanks for the input though. Anyone else?
    I like the remote starter, make sure you get the factory version that works with your keyless for warranty purposes.

Personally, I go outside to warm my car up to defrost it in the morning but I'm only a few steps away from the back door.
    "I like the remote starter, make sure you get the factory version that works with your keyless for warranty purposes."

That's interesting. I've been told by a Subaru salesman that Subaru doesn't make one. Here's a quote from his email to me on the subject:

"I just spoke with our service writer Chris. He said that Subaru does not make remote starters, and that he does not install aftermarket starter kits."

Raybear, do you have a Subaru remote starter in your vehicle?
  • growler5growler5 Posts: 67
    A buck ninety-nine ice scraper does a great job on the outside glass, nor does it require 160+ horsepower to operate.

As for the inside, a clean windshield won't frost up if you don't bring extra moisture into the cabin with you. Taking a big steaming open mug of coffee to sip during the daily morning commute is a very effective way to humidify the air and frost up the inside of the windshield.
    I think it'll be offered on the 07 'beca.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    While I can't comment on whether you'll notice a difference in power (the manual will give you more control though), living at that elevation makes you an excellent candidate for the XT ;) I know it costs more but one test drive where you get to experience effortless uphill passing without the need to downshift will make you want to shell out the extra bucks :D

-Frank
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    A buck ninety-nine ice scraper does a great job on the outside glass, nor does it require 160+ horsepower to operate.

As for the inside, a clean windshield won't frost up if you don't bring extra moisture into the cabin with you. Taking a big steaming open mug of coffee to sip during the daily morning commute is a very effective way to humidify the air and frost up the inside of the windshield.

All true but being able to dash from the warm confines of a house and immediately jump into a toasty warm car on a very cold morning does sound extremely attractive :)

-Frank
  • damish003damish003 Posts: 303
    That coffee mug is NOTHING compared to snow on the bottom of your boots. Tracking in snow, leaving the car overnight, and then getting back in the morning shows all kinds of moisture inside the windshield if you make a habit of it. Clean them boots.

-Dan-
    quote:

"A buck ninety-nine ice scraper does a great job on the outside glass, nor does it require 160+ horsepower to operate.

As for the inside, a clean windshield won't frost up if you don't bring extra moisture into the cabin with you. Taking a big steaming open mug of coffee to sip during the daily morning commute is a very effective way to humidify the air and frost up the inside of the windshield."
    ______

Try living at 8000 feet in the Colorado Rockies without a garage for one winter season and see what you think then. You don't know what you're talking about in this regard.

The fact is cars, on occasion, need to be warmed up before they can be driven. Having a remote starter would allow me to start up the car from my third floor condo and have it warmed up five minutes later when I drive away. I'm all for saving fuel but comments such as yours are unnecessary. I know what an ice scraper is.

My original question was: has anyone noticed a difference in performance between the manual and automatic 2.5X Forester since I'm thinking about getting a remote starter? I get: buy yourself an ice scraper. :cry:
  • I've been offered a new 2006 Subaru Forester LL
    Bean Edition with Popular Equipment Group 1 (MSRP
    $27,809) for $26,112. This does NOT include a rebate.

Two dealers and Edmunds say that dealer invoice is $25,812 for this model, package and destination.

According to another dealer who does not have any LL Beans available, this is $300 over invoice and a fair price. This dealer also said, if he had a LL Bean available, he wouldn't go less than one percent over invoice.

Comments/suggestions?
    No, like I said I walk outside to warm it up...but I can assure you that there is a remote starter offered, at least here in New England on the Forester. It's usually installed at the Port. The dealer I work for installs both the factory system and a less expensive aftermarket one, depending on how it's negotiated.
    quote:
    "The dealer I work for installs both the factory system and a less expensive aftermarket one, depending on how it's negotiated."

--Thanks. I'll inquire at a different dealer.
  • growler5growler5 Posts: 67
    The only thing we heard in relation to rationalizing your need for remote startup was "I find it difficult to drive two miles when the windshield is frosted up, inside and out." Nothing about cold-start driveability.

Thanks for the clarification re: warmup. :D
  • thecatthecat Posts: 528
    Wow, haven't been over here in Subie land for quite a while.

FYI Fitzgerald has several Beans with a MSRP of $27,774 (don't know what the couple of buck difference would be) at an internet price of $24,086. That may include the rebate.
    - hutch