Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester

Comments

• bayview6bayview6 Posts: 141
    But the fact remains that with the new epa mpg figures, the 2008 Forester will not likely sell well In the USA if the vehicle gets worst mpg than the 2007. BTW, I expect the 2007 Foresters to have City MPG of 20 and Highway MPG of 25. So, reducing those numbers further will hurt sales especially if price of petrol remains at $60 a barrel , let alone goes to $80.

I hope that they continue to manufacture it in Japan. If production stays there then I would expect a same size (or very slight increase in wheelbase) Forester.
  • dt63944dt63944 Posts: 66
    Maybe it's because I got it with the SMG...in theory it's interesting to have a very aggressive automatic that isn't actually an automatic, but it's also not very refined. I wish I had gotten the 6-sp "true" manual, but the SMG sounded like a good compromise between auto and manual and unfortunately there were no SMG demo's available. I do believe, when the versatility and price are factored in, the XT is just as much fun as my M3; in good conditions, of course the M3 could outperform the XT, but in many not-so-good conditions the XT is the only fun choice I have. Nice to see we at least enjoy both Subaru's and BMW's! :)
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Of course when you factor in the value aspect, the Subie probably wins. But as I noted some posts back:

1. the climate control system is frustrating,
    2. lack of steering wheel controls drives me crazy,
    3. piston slap is normal,
    4. I miss the leather,
    5. not enough controls are lit up and the interior is very dark,
    6. the headlights don't stay on for a period of time,
    7. not real thrilled about the frameless windows,
    8. missing some sort of stability control, which the competition has,
    9. big mistake the lack of a 5 speed tranny,
    10. passenger seat manual (to be expected),
    11. IMO interior noise is a bit much at times,
    12. could be more stable going faster than 100+.

Of course some very positive points,

1. high safety ratings and high reliability ratings,
    2. AWD is great,
    3. nice acceleration,
    4. comfortable steering wheel and seats,
    5. decent radio with subwoofer and 6 cds,
    6. dimming mirror with homelink and compass built-in (pay extra for homelink on BMW)
    7. the vehicle itself is roomy enough and versatile,
    8. great sunroof,
    9. windshield ice melter is novel.
  • I have the same issue with my 06 forester manual as well.
    I would be driving along and then the car would start to throttle (bog or rev), the cruise light and check engine would start to flash. I would bring it in to the dealer and they could never really tell what happened they would reset the computer, has one else had this issue I would like to see if it is me or just bad luck it has happened three times. I would like to hear the feedback
  • I'm looking to purchase a 2.5X and was wondering if I could avoid purchasing the "premium package". I went down the list of items, and the only thing I wasn't familiar with was the "Viscous-type limited-slip rear differential". Can someone help me understand if I really need it?

Currently I live and drive in Florida, but I'll be moving to New England (which is why I'm considering a Subaru) before the end of the year (just in time for winter).

Thanks for your help.
  • billsolobillsolo Posts: 3
    Hey jef64, has this condition been resolved? Can you please provide an update? I'm planning to buy a new Forester '06 manual next week.

Thanks
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Why would the 07 drop to 20/25? It's 23/28 now.

kdshapiro: a couple of thoughts on...

6. the headlights don't stay on for a period of time,

Yes but it does have a parking light.

7. not real thrilled about the frameless windows,

The B-pillars are nicely reinforced, as per this pic.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    1. the climate control system is frustrating, - Agreed, in fact I just leave mine in manual mode
    2. lack of steering wheel controls drives me crazy, - Can't say it drives me crazy since I've never owed a car with steering wheel controls but agree that they'd be a welcome addition (as would a telescoping feature)
    3. piston slap is normal, - Well yes and no... if yours does it, Subaru will tell you it's normal but certainly not all Subarus have piston slap
    4. I miss the leather, - ???
    5. not enough controls are lit up and the interior is very dark, - Agree that dash lighting could use some improvement (although don't the 06s have new gauges?)
    6. the headlights don't stay on for a period of time, Pretty nit-picky but sure, a time-delayed off feature would be nice.
    7. not real thrilled about the frameless windows, - I don't mind them at all
    8. missing some sort of stability control, which the competition has, - You could argue that the Forester doesn't need stability control as much as some but I suspect that the Forester will be getting it in the next redesign
    9. big mistake the lack of a 5 speed tranny, - Hey I've got a 5-speed tranny :) Oh.... you mean a 5-speed automatic :P Sure and Subaru should add a 6-speed manual while they're at it
    10. passenger seat manual (to be expected), - Keep adding nice to haves and pretty soon the FXT will cost as much as an X3!
    11. IMO interior noise is a bit much at times, - The Forester does well for its class but it's certainly no luxury sedan in terms of quietness
    12. could be more stable going faster than 100+. - Somehow I don't see this as something Subaru is overly concerned about ;)

-Frank
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "10. passenger seat manual (to be expected), - Keep adding nice to haves and pretty soon the FXT will cost as much as an X3!"

LOL. Right about that.

"12. could be more stable going faster than 100+. - Somehow I don't see this as something Subaru is overly concerned about ;)"

That last one was a bit tongue-in-cheek. But out of the above list of nits and wants. I find these to be my real beefs.

1. Dimly lit interior and lack of lighting on buttons.
    2. Lack of 5 speed automatic.
    3. Lack of stability control.

Overall I can't really fault the Forester. For it's price point it has a lot of value. But I would gladly shell out a couple of extra dollars if the above items were options.
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    Limited slip is like the old positraction, it locks up both rear wheels so they turn at the same rate when there is slippage, allowing the wheel with grip to take control (or at least for them to spin together).
  • growler5growler5 Posts: 67
    "3. Lack of stability control. "

Does the Forester really need stability control, or is this a perceived shortcoming only because other manufacturers offer it on vehicles that could really benefit from it ?

Re: the lack of interior lighting. Connecting the above-mirror lights with the ceiling light would be a good start, nor should it be costly to do. (The ceiling light is positioned quite far back because of the moon roof.)
  • bayview6bayview6 Posts: 141
    <<Why would the 07 drop to 20/25? It's 23/28 now. >>

juice, the USA EPA is going to change the way it estimates mpg. 2006 and before it used a dynometer to estmate real-world conditions. (LOL!!) For example, its highway speed was 40 mph, etc. In 2007 vehicles the EPA is going to do the the unthinkable and acutally drive the cars on real roads in real weather. Talk about extreme!. Anyway, I have a new 2006 forester automatic and I get about 19 City and 25 Highway. Maybe if they drove real conservatively they could move it up but it will depend on what their testing procedures are.

Pete
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Does the Forester really need stability control, or is this a perceived shortcoming only because other manufacturers offer it on vehicles that could really benefit from it ?

I think stability control falls into the same category as airbags. Airbags were originally designed to protect people who weren't wearing a seatbelt and were of questionable benefit for someone who was properly belted in. Of course today's airbags (especially the side impact ones) truly do offer added protection.

If you're driving safely, there's a good chance you'll never need stability control (especially with a relatively low center-of-gravity vehicle like the Forester) and it may even interfere with some "spirited" driving maneuvers. However like airbags, I see stability control eventually becoming pretty much standard and as they refine it, maybe its benefits will become more appreciated (just like the airbag).

-Frank
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,673
    G'day

Interesting question. The RACV, the local equivalent of the AAA is pressing for compulsory fitment of Stability Control for all vehicles sold in Australia.

http://racv.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/F05CB02B04EDD33ECA257100007E0- 87D

Victoria, my home state has been a world leader in many safety innovations including the first place to legislate for seat belts, first for .05% Blood Alcohol Limit and a raft of other measures. This has had a combined impact of reducing annual road deaths from 1034 in the early 1970's to about 350 per annum today, whilst the state's population has doubled.

The current estimate is that fitment of stability control reduces single vehicle accidents by about 40%, equivalent to 50 saved lives per year in Victoria. The problem is that like all safety improvements, there is a financial impact. Initially, it is significant but it progressively works its way down to lesser models as costs reduce. When I purchased my latest car, a Safety Pack, incorporating, Stability Control, Traction Control, Brake Assist, Side and Curtain Airbags and Electronic diff locking added about 6% to the cost of the vehicle.

My car is a tool of trade so I consider any safety improvement as a worthwhile investment. I know that I will have an accident about once every five years and have, so far, been lucky enough to get off without major injury. I'd prefer to keep it that way.

However you may consider it differently. You have to ask yourself a simple question - Do you like living with all your limbs and body parts intact? Whilst improvements in safety features cannot guarantee your survival, they will dramatically reduce the incidence of death and minimise the risk of injury.

You pays your money and you takes your chances...

Cheers

Graham
  • brian35brian35 Posts: 1
    Has anyone tried disabling AWD to get better gas milage?

You are supposed to do this if you are driving on a spare but I'm not sure what the long-term consequences would be of keeping it disabled would be. I'm thinking that I could probably do without AWD during the summer.
    Has anyone tried disabling AWD to get better gas milage?

You are supposed to do this if you are driving on a spare...

You are?
  • slazengerslazenger Posts: 99
    You will probably see no noticable improvement in gas milage and don't be surprised if your tranny blows up ;)
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Easy solution - go buy a FWD only vehicle. The Subie with an AT in FWD mode is only meant to be temporary - like when you use it for a spare tire.

FWIW, AWD isn't only meant for snow. AWD can help in rain as well.

I question why you got an AWD vehicle in the first place really, if all you want to do is disable it...

-Brian
  • I bought a new 06, Subaru Forester and as you might have guessed it they still do not have an option for an IPOD or MP3 player. However, I brought my other car in 2 weeks ago to have a new radio installed. I spoke to the store manager about my issue with my Subaru and he indicated that they have a way of modifying the existing radio with an auxiliary input that does not use the FM modulation or the CD player. He did indicate that they were the only company around that does this, boy I felt like I hit the lotto. With confidence the next week I had them do this process. Let me tell you, not only does it sound great but they also set me up with a holster that charges and connects right to the radio. This process also works with any MP3 player and or satellite radios with no engine noise or interference. You can also ship them your radio to have the modification completed.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Let me guess - they plug in where the antennae usually does, and then and antennae plugs in to an adaptor?

Legacy owners have done that.

Be happy that Subaru uses a pretty standard double-DIN sized dash opening for the current Forester. You can replace the heat unit with pretty much anything out there, including units that have NAV, MP3, aux input, the works.

-juice
  • jpfkkjpfkk Posts: 43
    lamediaman (I assume it is "LA Media Man"?),

Very interesting. Thank you for the insight. Can you please send me the name of the store? Or is that forbidden in this forum? Seems like a good solution.

But let's also not let the nit wit management team at Subaru off the hook (sorry, I am so frustrated by Subaru right now...). If Subaru wants to move up market (which has been discussed a great deal in this terrific forum) they need to understand that BMW, Land Rover, don't ask their customers to fish for their own work arounds. They manage the little things right from the start at the dealer.

Just a thought...
  • dirtbagdirtbag Posts: 57
    I too am frustrated the Forester doesn't have aux-in for an iPod and made it very clear to the sales manager at one of the dealers I was shopping. (The CD player won't play MP3/AAC/WMA discs either.) I bought an '06 Forester anyway since I think it is the best value small SUV, and I plan to replace the audio head unit very soon. I read a rumor somewhere (can't remember where) that '07s will have aux-in, about three years too late.
  • jef64jef64 Posts: 3
    In my case, the dealer found that a composite threaded bolt that sends information to the speedometer, cruise, etc harness was stripped. Dealer claims never seen this before. No additional info from Subaru of America. Had to drop tranny to replace. Dealer claims that with only 3500 miles on car; this would not be a prob. So far so good.....have 7000 miles on car now. Tranny seems ok.
  • jef64jef64 Posts: 3
    See notes per 3/23/06.....
  • kumarikumari Posts: 72
    Hi all,

I've also posted this on the other Forester board, but want everyone to see it, so I'm posting here as well. Just picked up the '06 Forester XT and this morning was the first time I saw the car in bright daylight - distressed to find no tinting whatsoever on any of the windows. Most SUV's come with the rear windows tinted as standard and I assumed that's how this one would come. Dealership wants $300 to tint windows - is this a good price? Anyone else do this? How did it turn out and what did it cost?

Also, appears like sunroof is letting in moisture as there were damp spots along one side of the inside cover this morning, just from morning dew - no rain. Is this normal?

Thanks, Samantha

P.S. LOVE the car, expecially the turbo!
  • dstew1dstew1 Posts: 275
    If it's actually damp on the sliding inside cover, that should not be happening.

As for the tinting, haven't had mine done yet but will probably do so before the hot summer weather hits the south.

Doug
    The windows are tinted 15% from the factory. I'm sure there are studios out your way who specialize in tinting and the dealer is probably taking it to one of them and marking up the price for their trouble.

Damp spots on the inside cover? The sliding cover inside the car? Get it back to the dealer and have them fix it.
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    Shop around you should be able to get it done for aroubd $175.00 look for a shop near the dealer or call around. The dealer is making a mark up...

Good Luck... Matt
  • fly5fly5 Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Forester XS with A/T, does anyone use snow chains on their Forester?
    If so, what brand and type do you use.
    I was stuck in the blizzard here in Nebraska last week. I was out in the country on a gravel road about 15 miles outside the city limits. The tires on the right side would spin with the tran. in gear while both left side tires would NOT move at all.

I have brand new (< 1000 miles) Goodyear triple treds on the front and Geolanders with 20,000 on the rear.

I was very dissapointed as I'm sure my old Loyale with 4wheel drive would have gone right through the snow drift that stranded me.

Lesson learned, AWD is not the same as 4wheel drive.
    Also, I left my hazard lights on and couldn't get back to the car for about 40 hours, battery was deader 'n doornail.

It was snowing about an inch an hour at the time, after some hitch hiking (2 rides) I was close enough to town for a taxi to come pick me up.

I will never go out in the winter again in this car with out chains and a tow rope!!

The manual says its OK to put chains on the front axle. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,725
    I would refer to your owner's manual as to whether chains are recommended. Off hand, I don't know if they are.

Bob