Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester

Comments

• skygazerskygazer Posts: 4
    That are great news!! :shades:

I would If I could, but the new model 2006 are ariving to Sweden November/ December, and then I will try one! :-)
  • I like the look and price for 2006-The seats are so hard..Am I the only one who feels like that
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    My '98 had even firmer seats. The new ones have a little more padding and softer fabrics.

Subaru tends to go with firm seats, but those are more supportive on long trips IMO. I hate the too-soft seats on the Saturn Vue for instance - spongy and no support.

-juice
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Any 2006 Forester owners out there who can confirm or deny from personal experience that the spare tire is now a temporary spare, rather than full-size?
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2006photos.html

Nope, it's a donut. :mad: Really dumb move Subaru.

Bob
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Any changes below in the chasis area that would require them to change the spare? Is it for increased ground clearance or departure angle?

Just more glad I have my '04 XT. :shades:

-Brian
    Nope. All the other-market Foresters still have fullsize spares. I think it's just a cost-cutting measure—and a lousy decision.

Bob
  • eps105eps105 Posts: 216
    I can't confirm if the 2006 has a donut spare, but I can offer a potential rationale for the decision.

I discovered a few years ago that my 2003 Forester has a cavity under the trunk floor that allows you to stow the cargo cover, but the full size spare is too tall to allow it to be utilized. Thus, it was not documented is the U.S. owners manual. The donut spare was used in the Forester in some other countries.

Therefore, I believe the switch to a donut spare in the U.S. could be considered a cost-cutting and streamlining move while giving Subaru the ability to tout a new "feature" in the U.S. for the cargo cover storage. (Can anyone confirm if this is mentioned in the '06 manual?)

That's my guess.

Elliot
    Bad move. CR-V and RAV4 have full-size spares, and they are the primary competition.

-juice
  • eps105eps105 Posts: 216
    Yes, but CR-V and RAV4 both have the spares on the back gate. That is a 100% deal-breaker to me -- I will never buy a vehicle with the spare on the back, no matter what. The smallest fender bender does at least $1500 in damage, as the whole rear gate gets crushed in, not just the bumper.

While competing directly with the CR-V and RAV4, the Forester is clearly aimed at a much more practical audience that prefers car-like sensibilities and safety rather than an SUV facade. Form follows function, if you will.

I've only had one flat in 15 years, and that was plugged in 10 minutes for $5. If I have to compromise, I'd rather have more space and a donut over reduced rear visibility and heavy damage in a fender bender any day.

That said, the only people that would truly suffer from having a donut spare are people driving off-road. For the 5% of us that do that, perhaps Subaru figures they can buy their own full size spare.... :confuse:

Elliot
    The '98 to '05 Foresters had all that and a bag of chips.

I got a flat last week - 2 hours away from home. A donut is rated for 50 miles and I still had about 120 to go. I would have been stranded and this was late at night with 2 kids in the back. How long would it have taken for Road Side Assistance to show up in the middle of nowhere?

If I had one I'd probably bring a patch kit with me. I already carry a compressor to be safe. But I replaced my wife's Legacy's donut with a full sizer, and I wish Subaru wouldn't go backwards.

-juice
  • ladywclassladywclass Posts: 1,684
    yeah .. but the 'these go to 22' doesn't have quite the same 'ring' to it ...
    The donut is rated for 50 mph, but you're right in that it also has a limited mileage too. I believe it's under 200 miles, but I can't swear to that. Anybody know for sure?

Bob
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    Manamal, I agree with you about the sound system totally. :)

However, as to the noise, I do not. My new 2006 is as quiet as my Murano, and much quieter than the 2002 Camry I owned.....
    :confuse:

Donuts are suggested for 50 MPH maximum speed, not 50 miles in usage distance.

As often as a spare is used, I hope all of you realize how small and petty your complaints sound.....it is 2005, people! :P

I would rather do without the weight, and size, and enjoy the under floor storage and ease of changing the donut permits. As for the Roadside Assistance, I received service on Interstate 80, 100 miles outside of Winnemuca, Nevada, within 30 minutes not long ago. I hardly think most of you live that far out. :shades:
    Good catch, guys.

I guess you're still limping home for 120 miles. Plus I just hate seeing cars supported by those tiny tires.

-juice
  • chassolchassol Posts: 95
    Yesterday I was at the local Subaru dealer and was looking to buy the 2006 Forester XT - it has the donut spare and I'm am holding off trading as I'm not totally comfortable with the donut tire. It is probably going to be the deal killer for me. I don't want to spend the extra $9,000+ to get a B9 which is the only Subaru model with a full size spare.

Because of no other model having the full size spare Subaru is effectively forcing you to get the B9 if you want a full size spare. I don't like the idea of that as the Forester would serve my needs.

Also checking with my insurance company the B9 is more expensive to cover, not only because it's more expensive, but it is now classified as a truck. I think Subaru will lose more than my sale.

Anyone that owns AWD can not feel comfortable with a donut as a spare. The dealer offered to do a full size spare, but it would cost me more to get what I feel should be standard.

:confuse: Poor Subaru is letting the bean counters in the back room win again.

:sick: Forgive the rant, but this just hands the competitors another way to take sales away from Subaru.

BTW --------- CUSTOMER CASH REBATE ON 06 FORESTER MODELS
    06 Forester models are available with $500 Customer Cash now through August 1, 2005. Must take delivery from dealer stock by August 1, 2005. 2006 Forester all X and XT Limited models $500.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,124
    I got a full size spare on a universal rim for $54 back in '99 when I got my van (used tire, new rim). I tend to get a flat a year, but a donut isn't going to be a deal killer for me. Hopefully there's a way to cram a full size spare into the donut space, like I did with my Outback.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ozman62ozman62 Posts: 229
    Note: B9 does not have a full size spare!
    Owen
    I'm with Steve on this one, you know it'll fit so just buy one. Tire Rack will have a steelie for $40 or so, plus a tire that's in the area of a hundred bucks. Definitely not a dealer killer, just a minor nuisance.

We did this with our Legacy. Donut was replace with a steelie 15"x6" and one tire we had to buy. We got a set of alloys (from Jim in Texas) so I already had the steel rim. Gave two steel rims away, in fact I still have one spare if you want it, it's free. But I don't think 15" is big enough to clear your brakes.

Not a deal killer, though.

-juice
    Not buying a fine automobile because of a space saving spare tire, so rarely, if ever, used during the time you will own it, is tantamount to not buying a fine piece of jewelry because you don't like the color of the box! :P

It is almost as though some of you need to latch on to something to be unhappy about. Is it possible you all have such rotten luck, live in such desolate/remote places, as to get many flats over the cars lifetime :confuse:

I own three cars at present. In over two years, never a tire problem. I asked around my office, and out of over 50 people, only three had need of roadside assistance :sick: for punctures in the past several years.

Come on, smarten me up. What am I missing here? I can't even buy the excuse you don't like to be limited to 50 MPH when proceeding on after a flat, as reason to not buy a certain model or brand....
    Full size spares are nice to have on road trips. Especially in the boonies when you are loaded down with camping gear.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Depends on where you are coming from Terry. All previous Foresters had a full-size spare, which was great. I was hoping that Subaru would see the wisdom here and equip all their US-spec models with full-size spares (as they are equipped in most other markets, BTW).

Well, they didn't do that. Instead they removed a good idea (the full-size spare) and replaced it with a bad idea (the donut).

So is it a deal-breaker? Well, at the moment I'm so pissed at this stupid decision by SOA, it could be if I were in the market now. Maybe after I calm down over this, I can think about it more logically. It certainly knocks the Forester down a notch IMO, however.

BTW, this past year I've had 3 flat tires on various vehicles...

Bob
  • chassolchassol Posts: 95
    All the B9 I saw at Auto shows BEFORE release were full size tires (spare) - YES I crawled under one to look.

Nothing in Subaru literature says anything about spare size, but at cars101 it does state "Spare Tire - temporary, mounted under rear of car. Tools in cargo area and there a small storage bin as well ".

If this is true, and I don't question it, - Bean counters won again :sick: . Wonder how long it will be before they get temp tires as standard equipment on all 4 wheels ;) .

Have you ever driven an AWD (Subaru), after mounting a temp, in the dead of night raining cats and dogs and not have cell phone with you to call Roadside Assistance (I have) ? Try it sometime and let me know your thoughts of how the vehicle drives in the heavy rain with that wonderful temp tire on. From that one experience I'd be willing to bet folks might sing another tune. Better yet take this one step further and try it in below freezing weather with a couple of inches of snow on the ground in near white out conditions.

And why does Subaru warn you to have all tires on all wheels within so many 32s diameter at all times? I know I'm pushing on this one, but if you haven't had the "fun" at least once, believe me you have no idea what you are missing.

Does all Subaru competition AWD, including upscale, use donut tires too? Just asking, I'd like to know.

I have driven Subarus over 275,000 miles (since 1998 - and another 100,000 in the early mid 80s) how many miles have you driven them?

The point I'm trying to make is - I've been there, hope no one here ever has to, but if they do under the conditions I'm describing I'd bet they would think once is enough and wouldn't like to repeat the "fun" experience over again.
    Okay, I guess I can see how someone who had owned previous years would be let-down with the donut.

I guess because I owned a motor home, and full-timed it, I am more conditioned than the average guy about not trying to haul around stuff for every eventuality---can't be done...

And, I am so taken with how the Forester performs and handles, and almost every car I have owned the past 15 years or longer has had a donut. Never occurred to me people would be so passionate about that item. :(
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Posts: 1,760
    so when this happens when your driving thru the nite on a long trip so that SOA can save a few $$$$$ grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    I admit that I may be overreacting a bit to this, but I see this a bad direction in which SOA has decided to follow.

As to the Show Tribecas, they too had temp spare tires. I was at the Detroit show unveiling, and spoke to Dave Sullivan, the SOA Tribeca Brand Manager about this. He said the Tribeca has a temp tire because, if a full-size spare had been used, the angle of departure would have been greatly compromised. We're talking about a very wide 255 size tire here, and I see his point. I just don't agree with their choice; but I understand and agree with his defense of the temp tire.

And again as to deal-breaker? If someone is on the fence—a term often used here—and is having trouble deciding between a '06 Forester and a CRV or a RAV4 (which do have full-size spares), this issue could well push them over the edge.

Yeah, I could go buy a real spare if it meant that much to me, as juice and others have done, but it grates me to no end in having to do so. It's like rubbing salt into the wound.

Bob
    At least a full size spare FITS, and that is more important than whether or not it actually comes with one. 15 minutes on Tire Rack and you'd have a steelie with a tire mounted and balanced on the way to your door step.

By the way, anyone want to buy a spare donut from our Legacy? LOL

-juice

PS Just kidding hosts, I'm not actually selling a donut, who would want one?!
    I bookmarked a site a couple of years ago that showed how to convert your donut spare into a rock polisher.

Fortunately (for me), I had the good luck to lose the bookmark. :-)

There must be some other uses for the things - off-road soapbox derby racer tires?

Steve, Host