Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester

Comments

• jpfkkjpfkk Posts: 43
    Kumari,

You will not only like the car, you will love it. Again, I've always said that dollar for dollar, Subaru cars are far superior. I tested the BMW X3, the LandRover and a bunch of others against the Forester and felt it was a better car for far less money!

Of course, that doesn't take away from the fact that Subaru is a maddening and god awful company to do business with. I've written in this forum numerous times that Subaru is truly a bizzare company--the do the big things incredibly well and the small things terribly bad.

I did write to Subaru and got the same response that I always get when I ask them a question..."thanks for the feedback, sorry you feel that way, but we are a small car company." Argh.

By the way, an iPod plug? My guess is that will come in 2012. :)

Steve, I agree with you, but it doesn't snow every day. And, I so like listening to baseball on the radio! :)
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Also, anyone understand why Subaru doesn't offer tinted windows as standard?

Foresters can't legally have factory tint because they are technically classified as cars for EPA and (tint) purposes. Only "trucks" which of course include all sorts of vehicles that don't even remotely resemble a truck (PT Cruiser for instance) can have factory tint. Fortunately, there's no shortage of quality after-market tinters and since the Forester looks like a SUV (aka truck), you can pretty much go as dark as you want and no law enforcement official will question it.

-Frank
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "I tested the BMW X3, the LandRover and a bunch of others against the Forester and felt it was a better car for far less money!"

Just for the record, I extensively tested an X3, and it is a better car for more money. It handles better than the Forester and has the anemities that I feel comfortable with. The Subie is a fine car, and the XT is blazing fast, but I wouldn't say it's the best vehicle money can buy.
    Just for the record, I extensively tested an X3, and it is a better car for more money. It handles better than the Forester and has the anemities that I feel comfortable with. The Subie is a fine car, and the XT is blazing fast, but I wouldn't say it's the best vehicle money can buy.

I completely disagree. The X3 "MAY BE" a little better in some areas (although Car & Driver didn't think so :P ) but there's no way it's even close to being twice as good. Which it would have to be to justify paying almost twice as much!

-Frank
    kdshapiro,

I absolutely respect your opinion. My comment reflected my personal opinion and I freely admit that I am not a car expert. In fact, far from it. I only drive on the weekends and am not really that into cars.

However, I tested all of the cars that I was considering, including the X3. I thought it was different, had poor visibility out the back window, an advantage in some areas and a weakness in others. In a straight up comparison, I felt the Forester was a better car. I also think it had higher ground clearance and a better all-wheel drive system that has been proven over time. Again that is just me.

I did notice that the "experts" at Motor Trend felt the Forester better, or at least it was a tie and the price difference offset their choice.

But reasonable people can reasonably disagree. One thing I can tell you, if I would have purchased a BMW, alot of the silly things that one has to deal with as a Subaru customer wouldn't be happening. Again, great cars. Maddening company to be a loyal customer to.

Let's shift the focus back to Subaru. What kind of bad management says, we will have this type of satellite radio for this car and that type of radio for this car. Shouldn't it be about choice? You choose the car, then choose the satellite radio service you want, then the radio and the dealer installs it?

This is the same frustration I have every time I go to buy a new Subaru. You can't get a clear answer on accessories, you can't get the roof rack you want, you can't get window tinting, you can't get a navigation system and you can't have the radio you want.

Okay, okay, sorry for venting, but someone at Subaru should think about the needs of the loyal customer and reverse engineer the car buying experience. Instead of saying here are our cars, buy them, leave the dealer and search the Web for any and all add ons and accessories, why not start with what car do you want and how can we help you get everything you need, make you happy--and, by the way, help our dealer make more money in the process.

I go back to my original question. If you buy a Forester why should you be locked into one radio choice!
    "I completely disagree. The X3 "MAY BE" a little better in some areas (although Car & Driver didn't think so :P ) but there's no way it's even close to being twice as good."

We can disagree on this, but it handled as well as an E46. The Forester isn't close to that. Pound the gas on an X3 through a curve and then pound the gas on the Forester and there is a world of difference between the two.

I could have gotten a $15K SUV and the Forester is not almost twice as good as a $15K SUV.
    Well written post and as you noted it is possible to have a reasonable discourse. Having said that, each vehicle has their strengths and weaknesses for sure. I agree with you about Subaru and some of the frustrations.

- frustrating climate control system, this has been talked about on this board
    - no DSC type of feature
    - no steering wheel controls (this drives me crazy as this is the only car in the last 10 years that does not have them)
    - no fifth gear on tranny (very bad mistake by Subaru for not including this on the Forester)
    - no option for HID

I understand the Forester isn't a real luxury model and it does have its' positive points. However, if one wants the ground clearance and interior space there is no other model that has these specs.
    Kdshapiro,

Couldn't agree more. I almost forgot about the maddening climate system and steering wheel controls would be terrific too. I go back to my original point--why can this company do the big things well and the little things, which should be so easy, so badly? Drives me nuts.

It is the little things that are starting to add up for me and the satellite radio is the straw that broke the camel's proverbial back.

I have found the Forester's level of luxury enough for me. Leather is nice. Car is comfortable. Quality on the interior is very good. And, you are right, if you want reliability, all wheel drive and ground clearance, hard to beat the Forester, despite Subaru's best efforts.

:)
  • kumarikumari Posts: 72

I had barely heard of Subaru when I test drove the Forester - in fact, I only saw them in the lot while on the way to the Honda Dealership! I also drove the X3 - after testing the Forester - and I was so worried that, having driven a BMW for 14 years, I would HAVE to have the X3 which cost so much more $$, but I liked the Forester XT MUCH better. Granted, the BMW is a luxury car, but I don't need a luxury car and I liked the way the Forester handled better! The Forester was also smaller, had a lower center of gravity (better for cornering) and a 4 cylinder engine.

Comparing the BMW's 6 cylinder to the Forester 4 cylinder XT is just comparing apples and oranges. They are both good and both fast - the Forester, however gets better gas mileage.

With regard to the extras that are available when ordering, I agree, there should be more options, but remember, the Forester is manufactured in and shipped over from JAPAN, so I believe that is the reason we can't get all the goodies in a pick&choose manner.

Getting my XT in March - can't wait - will let you all now if it's all I expected!

Samantha
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    Other way 'round, Steve!
    "I liked the way the Forester handled better!"

Granted you may enjoy the Forester, and the way it rides/handles. But for me, the E46 handles amazing well and the X3 handles like an E46. The Forester isn't quite in the same league although I do think the ride/handling is good enough.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,658
    Juice and I drove several at a BMW autocross-like event at FedEx field last year. I gotta admit, it really handled very well. I was very impressed.

Is it worth the money? I guess that all depends on what your priorities are.

Bob
    "Is it worth the money? I guess that all depends on what your priorities are."

That is a question one always asks themselves about any purchase, not specifically related to BMW.

For example, I had to ask myself if spending the moolah for an vehicle without a 5 speed auto, no steering wheel controls and leather really worth the money?
  • prosaprosa Posts: 280
    Foresters can't legally have factory tint because they are technically classified as cars for EPA and (tint) purposes.

Not according to the sticker on my '06 X.

IINM, window-tinting standards differ by state, not vehicle type. For instance, New York allows much darker tinting than does Connecticut.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,658
    Well, my WRX Limited is not a 5-speed auto (5-speed manual) with no steering wheel controls and has leather. To me it was well worth the money.

Bob
    I could have gotten a $15K SUV and the Forester is not almost twice as good as a $15K SUV.

If you can find a new SUV for $15k that's even close to as good as the Forester then you should buy it :P

-Frank
    window-tinting standards differ by state, not vehicle type. For instance, New York allows much darker tinting than does Connecticut.

Actually, that's exactly why they don't tint passenger cars because tint standards vary by state while tint for trucks isn't nearly so regulated.

So what does your sticker say?

-Frank
    Ah but that's not what your saying. It's always true as you go up the price range a car that cost twice as much is never twice as good. A $30K Honda is not 3 times better than a $10K Elantra for example. A decked out almost $30K XT will never be 3 times as good as an Elantra. Some buyers however may elect to place a premium on certain things you don't want to place a premium on. I stand by my original comment that at $40K the X3 330i does the SAV thing much better. If I could afford it I would be driving around in a Cayenne Turbo.
  • It is truly amazing...being a first time ever Subaru buyer, it baffles me as to how this company does business. I do think their product are very good, but as everyone has said laready, they seems to "not care" about the little things that makes car buying a more pleasureable experience.

After getting geting home with my new car, I relized that the delivery of my car was just gosh darn aweful. The moon roof had a grease streak down the middle, the back seat had soem dirt on it, PIN STRIPPing was done to the car (wasnt there 2 nites previous when I went to look at it), the front plate didnt have mounting holes for the license plate, no plate frame or anything was mounted for given to me, the applied window tint look like champagne in a glass.

If it wasnt for Subaru's saftey record, I would never had even thought about it. I will need to think hard next when comes time to replace my 06 Forrester. Sheeesh....
  • bayview6bayview6 Posts: 141
    The Japanese buyer would never put up with it. When you get the survey from SoA, be sure to answer honestly.