Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester

Comments

• jpfkkjpfkk Posts: 43
    lamediaman (I assume it is "LA Media Man"?),

Very interesting. Thank you for the insight. Can you please send me the name of the store? Or is that forbidden in this forum? Seems like a good solution.

But let's also not let the nit wit management team at Subaru off the hook (sorry, I am so frustrated by Subaru right now...). If Subaru wants to move up market (which has been discussed a great deal in this terrific forum) they need to understand that BMW, Land Rover, don't ask their customers to fish for their own work arounds. They manage the little things right from the start at the dealer.

Just a thought...
  • dirtbagdirtbag Posts: 57
    I too am frustrated the Forester doesn't have aux-in for an iPod and made it very clear to the sales manager at one of the dealers I was shopping. (The CD player won't play MP3/AAC/WMA discs either.) I bought an '06 Forester anyway since I think it is the best value small SUV, and I plan to replace the audio head unit very soon. I read a rumor somewhere (can't remember where) that '07s will have aux-in, about three years too late.
  • jef64jef64 Posts: 3
    In my case, the dealer found that a composite threaded bolt that sends information to the speedometer, cruise, etc harness was stripped. Dealer claims never seen this before. No additional info from Subaru of America. Had to drop tranny to replace. Dealer claims that with only 3500 miles on car; this would not be a prob. So far so good.....have 7000 miles on car now. Tranny seems ok.
  • jef64jef64 Posts: 3
    See notes per 3/23/06.....
  • kumarikumari Posts: 72
    Hi all,

I've also posted this on the other Forester board, but want everyone to see it, so I'm posting here as well. Just picked up the '06 Forester XT and this morning was the first time I saw the car in bright daylight - distressed to find no tinting whatsoever on any of the windows. Most SUV's come with the rear windows tinted as standard and I assumed that's how this one would come. Dealership wants $300 to tint windows - is this a good price? Anyone else do this? How did it turn out and what did it cost?

Also, appears like sunroof is letting in moisture as there were damp spots along one side of the inside cover this morning, just from morning dew - no rain. Is this normal?

Thanks, Samantha

P.S. LOVE the car, expecially the turbo!
  • dstew1dstew1 Posts: 275
    If it's actually damp on the sliding inside cover, that should not be happening.

As for the tinting, haven't had mine done yet but will probably do so before the hot summer weather hits the south.

Doug
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    The windows are tinted 15% from the factory. I'm sure there are studios out your way who specialize in tinting and the dealer is probably taking it to one of them and marking up the price for their trouble.

Damp spots on the inside cover? The sliding cover inside the car? Get it back to the dealer and have them fix it.
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    Shop around you should be able to get it done for aroubd $175.00 look for a shop near the dealer or call around. The dealer is making a mark up...

Good Luck... Matt
  • fly5fly5 Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Forester XS with A/T, does anyone use snow chains on their Forester?
    If so, what brand and type do you use.
    I was stuck in the blizzard here in Nebraska last week. I was out in the country on a gravel road about 15 miles outside the city limits. The tires on the right side would spin with the tran. in gear while both left side tires would NOT move at all.

I have brand new (< 1000 miles) Goodyear triple treds on the front and Geolanders with 20,000 on the rear.

I was very dissapointed as I'm sure my old Loyale with 4wheel drive would have gone right through the snow drift that stranded me.

Lesson learned, AWD is not the same as 4wheel drive.
    Also, I left my hazard lights on and couldn't get back to the car for about 40 hours, battery was deader 'n doornail.

It was snowing about an inch an hour at the time, after some hitch hiking (2 rides) I was close enough to town for a taxi to come pick me up.

I will never go out in the winter again in this car with out chains and a tow rope!!

The manual says its OK to put chains on the front axle. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,658
    I would refer to your owner's manual as to whether chains are recommended. Off hand, I don't know if they are.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Subaru does not recommend them, but the low-profile Z-chains are the only ones that'll fit.

People in CA report that even climbing up to Tahoe, that Subarus are waved right by, even without chains.

-juice
  • bayview6bayview6 Posts: 141
    fly5, sounds to me like the root of your problem is that you didn't have posi-traction on your Forester. Some of them have it, and some of them don't. If you had had posi-traction probably you would have been ok. I got 2006 Forester premium with posi-traction and ComforTreads all around. As long as the snow is not over 8" I should be alright.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    I thought the XS came standard with a limited slip rear diffy? In fact the scenario you describe (both wheels on one side without traction) is one of the main benefits of having a limited slip rear diffy because it should have transferred some power to the left rear wheel.

Prior to venturing out into a blizzard on rural gravel roads in any vehicle it would be prudent to have: chains, tow rope, old piece of carpet for traction, cell phone, food & water, first aide kit, and blankets.

You didn't seriously expect your battery to last 40 hours with the emergency flashers on?

-Frank
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    "Prior to venturing out into a blizzard on rural gravel roads in any vehicle it would be prudent to have: chains, tow rope, old piece of carpet for traction, cell phone, food & water, first aide kit, and blankets."

I know this may sound like a push for Subaru gear, but their Severe Winter Kit includes several of those items listed above, plus a folding shovel. It's compact so it fits in the back with no problem. I do admit I received mine for free a couple of years ago for test driving the (then) newly redesigned Forester.

Mark
    If I built a winter kit it would include an extra coat and a bottle of whiskey. LOL

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    When we do the 48hrs run, Paisan tells us to bring along sleeping bags, water, shovel, etc.

Extra cautious I guess.

Mark
  • huey3huey3 Posts: 3
    Sometimes the limited slip needs a little resistance to work. If you are on really a very slick surface there might not enough friction. If you gently apply a little brake while gently giving it a little gas it might help.
    For Subaru's differentials they actually will. Viscous fluid is used and whenever the two sides spin at different speeds the fluid thickens and temporarily binds the two sides together.

Your post applies to Torsen differentials, like Audi's. Torsen stands for Torque Sensing. They have what's called a bias ratio, for instance on Audi it is 2 to 1. That means the differential is capable of sending twice as much power to the side with resistance (grip). Usually that means 67% in one direction, 33% in the other.

However, the bias ratio means one side can get 2 times the traction as compared to the other. But if one side has zero traction, 2 times 0 is 0. So all the power will leak out that one side, the path of least resistance.

The advantage of the Torsen is that under track conditions, it can send more power to the side with more traction. But on ice, they're basically useless. This is why Audi uses traction control.

Subies rule in the snow, their differentials actually do work on ice. They don't act as quickly as a Torsen on a dry track, however, so it's more for safety in the snow than it is for track day.

-juice
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 643
    1. Is there much wind noise in the 2006 Forester at highway speeds, viz. 70-80 mph?

2. Is the acceleraton from 0-60 mph for the XT with automatic transmission much slower than that for the XT with manual?

Thanks.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,350
    Anyone cross shop the Legacy vs. the Forester when they were in the market? I have found a used 05 Legacy 5 speed wagon with 20k miles that drove nicely. A little cheaper than a new Forester, a rare manual wagon and a good looking car. I will test drive a new 06 Forester X this weekend too, but wonder if anyone else made the comparison? What did you like about one over the other? Do any of you Forester owners wish you bought the Legacy instead? I like the size of the Forester but the Legacy was a nicer car than I was expecting. I wish I could afford a FXT, but hey, you have to draw the line somewhere!

Thanks!