Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester

Comments

• Yeah, I know what you mean about MT and the turbo, but we also have a 2005 Volvo S40 T5 with 6-speed MT (hence my username), and I've enjoyed that thing on the freeway. I doubt the XT Sports with MT would be as nifty to weave thru traffic. Our '99 Forester is also AT, so we're used to it. The additional safety is what I wanted. Plus, I hope the XT Sports gives us at least 100K miles of relatively trouble-free driving, as the '99 Forester has.
  • kate5000kate5000 Posts: 1,267
    Recently, I've had to jump start my battery. Ever since - although battery seems to be ok -- I have a strange constant blinking of the security system sign on the dash, plus car stopped flashing lights when I click remote control to open the doors. Something's fishy there although for all practical purposes it's still working ok. 160K miles on a vehicle. \\

Should I disconnect and then reconnect the battery, to try to bring things back to normal?
  • Sounds like the system is in valet mode. Unlock and open the driver's door, click the "unlock" button on the remote, then click and HOLD the "unlock" button on the remote for 5-10 seconds. The system should return to normal.
  • Check your owner manual and reprogram the security system. There are about four different options. If your lights no longer flash when locking/unlocking, it sounds like one of the other options has been activated.
  • Has anybody had a problem finding the right oil filter for their 06 Forester? My local auto parts stores (Pep-Boys,Auto-Zone) have no listing for a fram filter in their book, only a purolator L14612. I got on the purolator website I found a cross reference conversion to a Fram Ph 6607, I then went to the Fram website and found a listing recomends a PH 9715 which is not stocked in central N.Y.
    What filter is right? :confuse:

Note. The Fram website lists the forester as Subaru Truck
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Why not just get the filter from your Subaru dealer? It's not expensive and you'll get the crush washer too, not to mention you'll get the correct filter as well. You can probably order a case of filters from them too and save some $$$.

-Brian
  • gmginsfogmginsfo San Diego, CAPosts: 113
    I originally posted the following on the Subaru Crew thread, but thought I'd copy it here in hopes of getting more feedback - if not gauging how much crossover there is between the two threads as well.

My driver's seat belt tensioner on my '03 Forester X is a bit slack, which prevents the belt from retracting when released, sometimes allowing the door to close on the buckle, which is not a nice thing to do to a seatbelt, or a B pillar, even one as sturdy as mine! Any ideas on how to restore some needed tension to this area of my world?

Happy New Year to All!

PS - Drove a Malibu Max while on vacation last week - lousy traction, wheels regularly spinning, and even prompting my Dad to mention, "This car rides rough!" Too bad I couldn't have my Forester with me.

One thing I did like about the Max, though: it's good brakes. My own seem mushy at 48K - is this a cause for concern or just a basic difference between the two cars? No problems noted at any service inspections.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    You should have your brakes flushed every 2 years or 30k miles. Chances are you didn't do it, so they are due.

-mike
  • rochcomrochcom Posts: 247
    The seatbelt retractor is intentionally a bit slack to avoid the belt irritating the wearer. If you have ever been in some of the older GM vehicles where the belt is very tight, you will know why. If you guide the belt toward the retractor, it should take up the slack. The tensioner is a separate device that pulls up the slack quickly in case of a collision. I cannot remember whether the '03 is equipped with the tensioner, but your driver's manual should tell you.
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    Any issues with the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)? Some of the newer cars I've driven that don't have the traditional cable throttle are really touchy. I was considering an 05 X. The 03-04 X don't have it.
    I like the drive by wire, have had it on several of my cars, never an issue.

-mike
  • kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    When they raised the 06 to 8.1 inches from 7.5, it crossed some threshold and lo and behold became a truck. Magic. Oh and trucks are not subject to cafe standards and it can affect the cost of licensing in some areas...

So, that lift appeared to be intentional to get the "truck" rating for some reason. Cafe (mileage) standards are done on all of your vehicles as a manufacterer, I believe, but sub-categories can affect the whole. No one is sure exactly why they did it as they messed up the suspension, in my opinion, to get that extra half inch of height. The 03-05's were designed as a whole and since they have started tinkering with things, I don't think they are improvements e.g. boosting the power steering...

Thanks, I feel better...
    Has nothing to do with the truck status for CAFE. It has to do with the ability for it to have rear fold down seats that fold flat with the rear cargo area and a hatch-like opening.

PT Crapper is classified as a truck
    OB is classified as a truck

It also allows Factory rear tint on the windows if it's a truck as well.

-mike
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    has to do with the ability for it to have rear fold down seats that fold flat with the rear cargo area and a hatch-like opening.

I guess my Honda Fit is also a truck
    The fit could and may be classified by it.

I think it's flat load-floor is the criteria.

-mike
  • lakepoplakepop Posts: 221
    How about this.............

Who classifies vehicles for the purposes of CAFE and how is it done?
    Authority to establish vehicle classifications for the purposes of calculating CAFE was delegated to NHTSA. Specifically, the definitions are as follows:

1) Passenger Car – any 4-wheel vehicle not designed for off-road use that is manufactured primarily for use in transporting 10 people or less.

2) Truck – a 4-wheel vehicle which is designed for off-road operation (has 4-wheel drive or is more than 6,000 lbs. GVWR and has physical features consistent with those of a truck); or which is designed to perform at least one of the following functions: (1) transport more than 10 people; (2) provide temporary living quarters; (3) transport property in an open bed; (4) permit greater cargo-carrying capacity than passenger-carrying volume; or (5) can be converted to an open bed vehicle by removal of rear seats to form a flat continuous floor with the use of simple tools
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,725
    Ground clearance is a factor in classifying the Outback as a truck, at least that's what I've been told.

Bob
    How does the PT Crapper then get classified under those rules as a truck for CAFE purposes.

I think we are talking about different "classifications" NHST v. EPA v. someone else.

I'll see if I can find out what the rules are for CAFE.

-mike
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/CAFE/overview.htm

Basically if I read that correctly, any vehicle with a fold-flat floor in the back can be considered a "truck" for the CAFE purposes. Regardless of weight, size etc.

-mike
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    can be converted to an open bed vehicle by removal of rear seats to form a flat continuous floor with the use of simple tools

a flat floor alone is not enough.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    They basically get in the back door as a multi-purpose vehicle.

All trucks cheat, really, because the CAFE loophole was inteded for work/fleet trucks, not for trucks meant for private use. So even a F150 used as a personal car is cheating and getting around the original intent of the law.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,725
    Have you mounted those snow tires on your Forester yet?

Bob
  • eps105eps105 Posts: 216
    kavoom -- It's long since been a misconception that Subaru jacked up the suspension to achieve the added ground clearance. The overall height of the Forester was unchanged in '06. The increase in ground clearance was due to clearance improvements made in the redesigned exhaust system in '06.

In fact, due to other tweaks made in the suspension, the '06 and newer Foresters ride better and are even less "trucky" than previous years.

I do not know if it was formally reclassified as a truck in '06 (it's always been informally referred to as a truck or tall wagon by many sources) but if so, it had nothing to do with the clearance change, IMHO.

Elliot
    Not yet, but I'm ready to do so. It only got really cold yesterday.

I actually saw some snow flakes around 3pm.

If I hear a forecast for snow, they'll go on that evening.

-juice
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    I mounted the Blizzaks on my wife's Outback today. At least it was cold outside; when I put the snows on my Forester a few weeks ago, it was 70 degrees.

Len
  • EXACT PROCEDURE....

1. Turn engine on (NOT in ACC, Dont have to start engine).

2. Within 30 secs of ignition, clip/unclip seatbelt 20 times. (Seatbelt light will go on/off)

3. Confirmed by Seatbelt light staying OFF

That's it, no on/off cycles to do. This worked first time for my car - 06 LegGT. Setting will last until the microprocessor is reset or battery disconnected.

For a temp disable of chime, do the clip/unclip cycle 3 times only, will reset once ignition is turned off again.
  • rochcomrochcom Posts: 247
    We have just had our first real snow following a blast of ice. My 1998 does well on its aftermarket Brigestone Turanza LST tires that now have 60,000 miles on them. They are designed to be a true 4 season tire and to retain traction as they wear. At this point, they have 6/32 of tread. My OEM Geolandars lasted 30K and an aftermarket Goodrich Touring T/A set lasted 42,000 before they became dangerous even with 4/32 of tread.

But now that it snowed, my Forester is covered with salt, and I went over to the local DeltaSonic car wash. They insisted that because it is an SUV (although barely bigger than a Toyota Corolla) I have to pay the same surcharge as a Ford Expedition or a Hummer. That's a bummer, and I had them back up the whole line of waiting vehicles to let me out. It is too cold to use the garden hose right now, so I will go to a locally owned wash. I may be a cheapskate, but we Forester owners have our rights! We bought our smaller vehicles for a reason.
    Ok, looks like freezing rain and maybe snow are on the way, so I hope to put on the snow tires tonight.

Brr.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Yeah that some car washes charge the same for a Forester as a super-sized SUV (Yukon XL, Ford Excursion, etc) is just plain wrong! :mad: I'd let the management know how you feel. FYI, there are some car washes that don't charge extra.

-Frank
    Usually aren't charged more for my Armada which is pretty ginormous.

-mike