Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester

Comments

• lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    Mike: Thanks, that's good to know, but I'm not sure how soon I'd be able to head up to the shop. If Lee still does mobile work outside his/your shop I might be able to meet him halfway, as well as refer him some additional work. I'll have to talk with you offline.

juice: Interesting bag of worms. It will soon be warm enough to make the problem go away, and by the time the weather gets colder again I'll be out of warranty (unless of course I decide to go the extended route). :confuse:

Ed
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, tough one.

I got hit in the rear bumper and got a dime-sized dent on the 1/4 panel. I actually decided *not* to fix it, as they would have to bang it out and repaint the entire driver's side of the car, all the way to the A-pillar.

So I just dealt with it and left it unrepaired, since it's barely noticeable.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    I agree that trying to blame the tint film (which is thinner than a sheet of paper) is incredibly lame. I've had window tint on my Foresters for the last 7 years without a problem and I'm sure there are thousands of others who have tinted their windows without a problem.

What happens when it jumps its track? Does it fall down into the door or get stuck?

Juice makes a good point though that pulling the door panel off opens the possibility of leaving you with a constant annoying buzz or rattle.

-Frank
    Just buy new clips, because some of them break when you yank them out.

-juice
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    Frank,

What happens when it jumps its track? Does it fall down into the door or get stuck?

It doesn't do either; it stays on track, keeps going up, but it catches and leaps ahead a bit as though it's trying to make up for lost time. That doesn't make sense upon rereading it but it's the best way I can think of describing it now.

Ed
  • gmginsfogmginsfo San Diego, CAPosts: 113
    My '03 Forester XS is just about to turn 50K and I surfed onto an aftermarket site that had a couple of exhaust modification kits. Their selling point was "enhancing your midrange torque," which is something I would appreciate when merging onto freeways, especially on uphill ramps. Has anyone had any experience with any of these?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    On an NA motor, you aren't going to gain anything other than some noise and possibly a placebo effect, at best a slightly better throttle response for your hard earned cash.

-mike
  • tazerelitazereli Posts: 241
    Does anyone know of an aftermarket fog light setup that fits the OEM openings?

Tx,

Kyle
  • garywigarywi Posts: 54
    I am going to look at one Saturday. I noticed incentives on the 2007s. Why is the Outback the highest at $1000-2000? Are they redesigning soon?

Also, which trim package can I get a power drivers seat?

What is the best model, not the Limited? Best engine? I would get an automatic.

Thanks

Gary
    Outback costs more, so incentives are also higher.

The base X model has the bigger rebate, but get the Limited package for the heated seats, huge moonroof, alloys, and 6CD changer. All that stuff will make the ownership experience better.

The base engine is fine, but if you want plenty of passing power and would use it, consider the turbo. At higher elevations it'll really show it's worth.

If you drive conservatively, though, the base engine should be fine and more efficient, plus it uses cheap ol' regular fuel.

-juice
  • sharksoupsharksoup Posts: 26
    Anybody else have problems with sensors on their Forester?

Last month had the "barometric" (temperature) sensor replaced, and within a week needed one of the oxygen sensors replaced too. That's the second time on the oxy sensor as both front and rear were replaced (under warranty) within the first 18 months I owned the car; so about 50,000 miles on the oxy sensor, 77,000 miles altogether.

The temp sensor was $275!! Oxy sensor $70. Work done by my local independent mechanic (used to work for Subbie dealer), so I trust his judgement. He's famous for not doing anything that does not need to be done.

Temp sensor made a huge difference. Engine gets up to normal operating temperature much faster now, and no worrying about it hesitating/stalling if it's really cold.
  • Are the seats in higher cost models more comfortable than the base x?
    I probably would stick with the models that have the $2k rebates. Also, is there much difference in the radios?

Any other information would be appreciated. I would like to find out that for a few $ more I could have gotten some feature that would be nice to have. The dealer has all the cars locked so it is a pain to get into many cars to look around..TIA
    Even the premium sound stereo equipment isn't that great. Not a Subaru strength, FWIW.

The AWP is nice, I wish that was offered stand-alone or even as an SE model. I'd like heated seats on my next car.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "Even the premium sound stereo equipment isn't that great. Not a Subaru strength, FWIW."

But it's much better than the standard radio, the quality is surprisingly okay. I would definitely get the premium sound system again. Some of the road noise drowns out the sounds, however. Gotta love the in dash 6 cd changer and weather band.
    Let me qualify that - the premium sound is fine for any non-audiophile, but those folks will want to look to the aftermarket.
  • dirtbagdirtbag Posts: 57
    I put some sound-deadening material in the doors behind the speakers in my X-Premium and I've never had a better car stereo.
    OK, found some tips from Peaty, so I'm gonna try to fix the Forester's clock tonight.

Apparently it's usually just a crack in the solter, and a very easy fix. Hope so! :)
  • deepdropdeepdrop Posts: 89
    I want to sell the four original alloy wheels from my "03 Forester XS. They have the Geolandar G900's on them and had about 30K miles. Two have good tread and two are close to needing replacement. The wheels are in great shape, never driven in winter.

Can anyone suggest what would be a reasonable price for these? Are there any good subaru websites where I could post an ad? Also, would these only fit the Forester and only "03? Thanks.

Dan
    Nabisco has a classified section (Edmunds does not).

Not sure if the offset will fit Imprezas, though. There are a lot of Forester Xs driving around.

Price? Dunno, maybe $300 or so for the set? The main issue here is the limited audience, so if the price is high you will not get any responses.

-juice
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    You might want to consider Craigslist if you have one in your local area. Shipping rims are pretty expensive, so you'd be better off selling locally.

I think $300 may be a bit high for what are essentially just the alloys with worn tires. I think a more realistic price would be about 1/2 that. Your audience for Forester rims is pretty limited. I'd pay maybe around $100 for alloys to upgrade my steel X rims. Replacent tires would cost another $300-$400.
    $100 for a set of alloy rims? Jeez I just sold 1 02-05 WRX Rim and used tire for $100.

-mike
  • Piaa makes a 4" foglight that fits a 4" opening
    Part number is 510
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Nabisco has a classified section (Edmunds does not).

Nabisco is still a company that manufactures cookies and crackers, yes or no?

Is Nabisco also a newspaper? :confuse:

When is the Forester going to be redesigned?
  • kavoomkavoom Posts: 181
    >>When is the Forester going to be redesigned?<<

09 they delayed it a year, look for a short year for 08 is what I hear???? The 08 Outbacks are in dealers with the new front end. The pignose is gone. Whether you like the replacement is an opinion. I wonder if the 08 Foresters will have the new...thing...on the front. I don't know if I like it or not.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,371
    subaruforester dot org would be a good place to post. Pretty active classifieds, if you don't mind shipping them.
    NASIOC, actually. We just call it that.

WRX rims are worth more because the offset fits a much wider range of cars that's more likely to be rim shopping.

I think Tire Rack sells WRX take-off rims for under $100 per nearly new.
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    Guess it depends on the market. WRX wheels are pretty popular. I've seen WRX wheels with new OE tires for about $300-350 around here. I think Forester alloys are a tougher sell.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,371
    Does tire rack list their take offs somewhere online, or is it an in-person/call them thing?
    I saw it in a TireRack ad. It was for snow tires, when they were selling them one season. They specifically advertised those take-offs with a price. $76 seems to ring a bell but don't quote me on that.

They would be nearly new, but have to be sold as used for obvious reasons.
    You have to call and ask for em. Not sure if they have em anymore.

-mike