Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I don't really know of any "maintenance" that is done on these, they are sealed bearings. You maintain them when they start to break by replacing them.

-mike
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    John, I never had to replace bearings on my '96 Outback, but I did take a look at them (on front axles) when replacing axles. They appeared to be a sealed unit, so the axle replacement job was actually quite clean!

The bearings on my '69 Econoline are as you describe, but that is a totally different beast. :blush:
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    well, I'll be...

I suspected such, but couldn't figure out the "maintenance" requirement in the Forester manual.

A bit gun shy because I had an Isuzu Trooper where I "did nothing" to the front bearings, and ended up burning them up at 90k. They had a similar halfshaft going into the front hub.

John
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    I would still recommend continuing to look into it, just to be sure. My model was different, so the bearings might have been different as well. My final statement has to be "I just do not know!" :blush:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, I'm not sure exactly when Subaru switched to the sealed ones.

Perhaps it was for MY2003? That was when the Forester was redesigned.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    yup, it was '03 the first year of the new bearings. However I guess the manual didn't get corrected?

John
    As far as I know they've been sealed at least back to 1990. They have changed from needle to barrel bearings over the years but still sealed and not servicable.

-mike
  • jetfishjetfish Posts: 15
    Hello ateixeria,

Yes the mechanic check@ an auto body shop found some oil leak in the rear of engine. Is it very critical?

Anyway, I just bought this '99 Forester and join the Subaru club:) Thank you all for the info..

I'll keep updating in this forum for the problems/questions I find on this car while enjoying the Subaru ride:)
    We did a clutch in my buddy's aunt's 99 OBS, and found that the gasket on the oil passage cover on the rear of the engine, under the bell-housing was leaking severely, this caused oil to get on the flywheel and clutch. We re-sealed it before replacing the clutch.

-mike
    Check for that, then. I'm more familiar with the front of the block (O-ring front main seal).
    Could also be the rear main seal as well.

-mike
  • I have a 2003 2.5X, love everything about it, except the seats. They are too hard (maybe I have a bony butt?).

I finally resorted to putting a thick indian-style blanket, double folded, on the driver's seat. Not so bad, but still a pain on long drives.
  • jbur1jbur1 Posts: 14
    For about the last four months my 2003 Forester has been making a rattling noise while accelerating slowly. It almost seems like something is resonating during a certain range of RPM's while accelerating from a dead stop. It will rattle continuously if I keep the vehicle at that spot which I believe is related to the RPM. I thought it may be a loose heat shield or some other part that has loosened. The sound also reminds me of the noise that a loose fan blade or pulley could make. During the colder weather the noise did not bother me since the windows were closed but now as summer approaches it is getting to be irritating. Has anyone ever experienced this? If so, what was the cause?
  • slazengerslazenger Posts: 99
    It is loose heat shields...
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,367
    Subaru offers a square cross bar set for my 06 Forester. Does anyone have these? Since Thule is the biggest company making square crossbars, does anyone know if Thule attachments fit on these factory square bars? Perhaps Thule makes them OEM for Subaru?
    Nope, Yakima does.
    Really, Yakima makes a square bar? Doesn't that go against their code of ethics as all their aftermarket is round? I know they made the round ones for the previous SF, but I'm surprised to hear they do these squares for the SG.
    The accessories sold at Subaru dealers are made by Yakima. They include round bars.

I've never seen square ones. If you mean the OE ones, shaped like air plane wings, those are Subaru's own.

You can get clamps from Yakima that fit those OE cross bars, however, saving you from having to buy the round ones.
    These are the factory square ones:

Cross Bar Kit Square, Forester 2006

I have the factory aero ones now, but they aren't wide enough for what I need to carry. These square factory bars are half the cost of the Thule kit, which is why it seems worth a look.

Google turned up nothing conclusive. Dealer does not know. SF.org has one thread where a guy with a '04 was able to attach a Thule attachment to the bar. Not sure why '06 would be different, although they have separate part numbers. Such a mystery. :confuse:
    Whoa, OK, that's definitely new. Those were not offerd on the 98 models.

I designed a web site for Quality Subaru in TN and put up every accessory they had for sale, and that was definitely not offered. They only had the OE ones and the round ones.

You learn something every day!