Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester

Comments

• "... the spoiler serves no purpose other than decoration unless the open slot between the spoiler and the window can direct a little airflow down over the window.The rear window becomes dusty in the still air behind the car. A moving stream of air across the window, such as generated by a real deflector, prevents dust from settling."

That''s what I posted earlier this month. Now I have just bought a 2008 LL Bean that came with a spoiler, and have put 200 miles on it. I also have a 2006 Scion xB with no spoiler.
    In 200 miles the Scion's rear window would be covered with dust. The Forester's window does not have any dust.
    I would not have paid $350 for the Forester's spoiler if I had any choice. But the slotted area in it does work as a deflector and keep dust off the window.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    The only problem I see about installing the load-leveling is that it's likely very expensive and only available from the dealer.

-mike
  • phil2000phil2000 New JerseyPosts: 195
    My 2000 Forester had no spoiler and I drove it some 254,000 miles. Very little dust collected on the rear window. I had more of a problem with the rear wiper. It had only two setting on or off, no intermittent. I would not opt for a spoiler in a future purchase.
  • phil2000phil2000 New JerseyPosts: 195
    I have decided to do the repair myself. I found a shop that will do the valve job for $180 plus parts (2-3 day turnaround). A dealership said all the gaskets I need will run about $150. All I need now is the manuals and another car for about 10 days.
  • My moonroof won't competely close - it stops about 6 inches short, just as it hits the spring ramps. Holding those down doesn't help. Also, strangely, the one-touch has stopped working. The manual crank into the motor won't close the roof either. No sign of bits of lego or chewing gum in the tracks... does anyone have any suggestions?
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Well I just got a new set of tires. I replaced a set of Avons with 30k miles on them. They still had some tread left but one of them had a slow leak from a previously patched puncture. This time I went with the Kumho Ecsta ASX which is very reasonably priced for a UHP All-Season tire and gets pretty good reviews. I'll let you know what I think after I put some miles on them.

-Frank
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    FWIW, CR rated them highly. No lower priced tire performed better. Many higher priced tires performed worse.
  • gmginsfogmginsfo San Diego, CAPosts: 113
    My luck at Budget's ORD location continues: this time I managed to get an '08 Forester with 140 miles on it when I picked up my rental car for Xmas - and at only $175 a week! Since we had all kinds of weather during my stay, with temps between the teens and the 40s, I finally got to use and appreciate the heated seats, which allowed me to cruise over to the 7-11 for my morning coffee clad only in sweats and a lumberjack shirt. (And thankfully, this 7-11 still uses the stable styrofoam cups and doesn't try to pass itself off as a $tarbuck$ with the new paper (read, flimsy), "green" ones!) I took it out into the countryside, or what's left of it in Chicagoland, and played around on snowy, muddy roads a bit, and it did not disappoint. The extra 8 horses in this engine were a gratifying improvement over the 165 in my '03 Forester, and it was noticeably quicker when merging onto the expressways, which is what freeways are called in the Midwest. It also seemed quieter, but this may have been a sympathetic aural reaction to the lingering new car smell. I also seemed to get better mileage with the "new" engine, but this may have been due to my driving a bit slower while I was on vacation. And yes, the roof rails came off as soon as I got it home and stayed in the rear well for the duration.

My only complaints are mainly visual: the visors STILL don't slide back to block the sun (C'MON!), and the day-nite mirror - relievingly, a manual one - picks up way too much headliner reflection when in nite mode, however adjusted to avoid it. I liked having all the cruise controls on the paddle, instead of the main switch next to the fog light switch, and I didn't notice it interfering with me knee at all. But, I still would like some more leg room in the driver's seat. Even with the power seat set as far back and as high as possible, it was still a bit of a chore to get in and out, and a tad tight once in. (I'm 6'.) Subaru needs to know that many of us never fill up our back seats, and it should design the front ones to travel back further, secure in the knowledge that it won't be a co-conspirator to cramping anyone's style back there!

Happy New Year to All!
    Lucky duck! I can't believe it.

Any how, let's hope the 09 addresses some of your issues. The wheelbase is longer and in photos it looks like not all of it went to the back seat. We shall see...
    But, I still would like some more leg room in the driver's seat.

Really? I'm almost positive the Forester already has class leading front leg room (I'm 6'2 and fit comfortably). And by increasing travel of the front seats, that reduces the listed rear seat leg room.

-Frank
    Yep, this was as of April 05, but you get the general idea:

Front Rear Vehicle
    43.6 33.7 Forester
    41.4 30.6 Grand Vitara (now that's tight)
    42.3 32.6 RAV4 (also very tight)
    40.2 35.8 X3 (less total combined legroom)
    41.6 36.3 Escape/Tribute (just 0.6" more comibined)
    41.3 39.4 CR-V (best back seat, cramped front)
    41.0 39.1 Element
    41.6 36.8 Santa Fe
    42.1 37.2 Tucson/Sportage (beats Santa Fe!)
    40.8 37.2 Liberty (cramped front)
    41.8 36.8 Freelander
    42.3 35.5 Outlander
    41.2 36.8 Vue

The Forester does position the seat farther down vs. most, so you sit arms out, legs in front of you. Some others put you up high, almost like sitting on a bar stool, so those require less leg room front to back.
  • dirtbagdirtbag Posts: 57
    It's apparent some people have longer legs in relation to their overall height. I'm 6.0" and don't even keep the driver seat all the way back. Others my height have a problem.
    Same here, I'm 6' tall but my legs are not that long.

When I slid my '98 all the way back I could barely depress the clutch pedal all the way. I usually positioned the seat and inch or so forward from the rear-most position.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,367
    Thanks for posting these figures, Juice. Very interesting numbers. My friend has a 06 CRV, and I am always impressed with how much room there is in the backseat. I believe the rear seat on the current RAV4 slides back and forward, so I bet it is comparable.

I am 6'3" and find the Forester front seat is too far back if I adjust it all the way back. I have a 33" inseam, so not the longest legs in the world, though. I hate the rear seat leg room though...pure torture :sick:
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Much of it has to do with how people like their seat positioned when they drive. I position my seat much the way mishaa recommends in his "how to position your seat" tutorial on carspace. Ironically, every time I take a car to a service place, somebody half my size brings the car around for me and when I get in I would have otherwise sworn a giant must have serviced it!

My dad is the same way. He is 3" shorter than me and when I get in his vehicles I have to wonder how he reaches the pedals.... ;)

As for rear seat room, though, I find (having ridden most of my childhood years in the back seats of coupes) that leg room in the back is hampered much faster by front seatbacks being leaned back than the entire seat assembly being moved rearward.
    leg room in the back is hampered much faster by front seatbacks being leaned back than the entire seat assembly being moved rearward

That's true. It doesn't matter how much room there is in the footwell if your knees are jammed into the seatback :sick:

-Frank
  • jdcarpjdcarp Posts: 1
    I'm interested in hearing your experience with how the AWD system works with the current Forester manual trans. When starting out on a slippery uphill slope - do the front or rear wheels spin first? How about hitting a slick uphill spot at highway speeds? Just wondering how this is going to feel. As I understand the literature - there's a 50-50 split of power F/R at all times - not sure how this works. Also, on the 2.5x, manual, you don't get the limited slip rear dif. Wondering if that might be a problem when 4wd is needed? Anyone have insight?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    You probably won't feel anything. Slippage will be minimal, especially if you upshift to 2nd gear. In 1st you can spin all 4 I bet.

-mike
  • mxo11mxo11 Posts: 27
    Hi all,

We are thinking about buying a 2.5 X Forester (say, as opposed to a CR-V, for example), but the lack of ESC has made us wonder... How critical is the lack of ESC in the Forester, honestly?

Thanks for all your input!

Manuel
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    ESC will be standard on the all-new '09 Forester, which should go on sale in March. It's a much better car than the current one. I would wait for it.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/4097

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/3963

Bob