Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti EX35 small SUV

navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
Infinti is planning an entry level sportwagon to fit in under the FX35/FX45. It will be aimed at the small luxury SUV market which includes the BMW X3, 2007 Acura RDX, as well as the upcoming Land Rover Freelander. The story also says Cadillac may introduce something in this field below the SRX in 2008 as a 2009 model, called the BRX.

The CX25/CX35 will arrive in 2007 as a 2008 model.

It will have a 2.5 liter four cylinder engine and a 3.5 liter V6.

Here's the story from Autoweek.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102712

Comments

• lexi4lifelexi4life Posts: 181
    This new vehicle looks really interesting but I'm not sure whether Infiniti will offer the CX25 in North America, since it "only" offers 175hp. It would be considered as a very cheap model by buyers because it's an inline 4 instead of a small 6 like what BMW offers with its X3. Also, I don't think Infiniti wants to lower its prices to compete too much with its own creator, Nissan, and their X-Trail (only available in Canada) or X-Terra.
  • unixxusunixxus Posts: 97
    Mazda announced in May that it will name its upcoming 2007 crossover vehicle CX-7, Nissan stated a few weeks later that its 2008 Infiniti entry level crossover vehicles will be called CX25 and CX35. I think this will cause some confusion in the general public. :confuse:
    http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/200505/0526e.html

Automotive News / July 04, 2005
    LOS ANGELES -- Infiniti dealers will get a new entry-level sport wagon.

Sources inside and outside the company say the vehicle will arrive in 2007 as a 2008 model. It will come in two versions, the CX25 and CX35.
  • thegriffonthegriffon Posts: 12
    The 2.5 is a V6, the VQ25, produced in three versions, the VQ25DE producing 186 PS (DIN) in the Elgrand luxury van, the VQ25DD (direct injection) producing 215 PS in the Skyline/Stagea and the turbo VQ25DET producing more than Nissan likes to advertise in Japan (over 280 PS), probably around 300 hp.
  • mrrytemrryte Posts: 10
    Unfortunately, the most likely scenario will be that the marketing & accounting gurus at Infiniti will utilize the 2.5 QR25DE engine here in the US since it's already in 3-4 Nissan Vehicles, but if it they do put a 2.5 V6 in it, that would be so sweet.... :shades:
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Infiniti Will Add Small SUV to Compete with BMW X3

A report in Automotive News confirms the long rumored addition of a small SUV to the Infiniti lineup. The upscale arm of Nissan Motor Co. will add a compact sport-ute to its offerings in the near future, the report says, with the X3 cited as the chief competitor for the new vehicle. The new sport-ute would be positioned below Infiniti's popular FX35/FX45 SUVs. Infiniti may also get a version of the Nissan GT-R concept shown last week at the Tokyo Motor Show.
  • navigator89navigator89 Posts: 1,080
    I already created a thread about this issue back in July I think - it will be called the Infiniti CX25/CX35.

Why don't you merge these discussions?
  • Since I first saw the teaser info on this vehicle, I thought it just might become my next car. I currently own a 2001 2wd QX4 that I purchased a couple of years ago. I am interested in any info that people may come across regarding this future vehicle. I'm thinking it might be the perfect blend of infinit quality with subaru-like functionality.

Also, anyone know the lowdown on which year it's coming out? Most info indicated that it will be available in late 2007 as a 2008 vehicle. However, the edmunds future vehicle section has it available in late 2006 as a 2007 model year vehicle.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I may be interested, but I need 3 rows of seats.

Otherwise, it'd compliment my I35 perfectly.
  • fellyfelly Posts: 16
    I don't see the point of building an SUV that can be smaller than the FX35/45? It doesn't make much sense to me. How much smaller can it be?
    Lol, you're kinda right about that. The Fx35/45 only seat 5, and have little cargo room.

The new CX will probably be a couple of inches smaller in size, and price, and the engine will be smaller. The thrills of an FX in a smaller and cheaper package.
    Lol, you're kinda right about that. The Fx35/45 only seat 5, and have little cargo room.

The new CX will probably be a couple of inches smaller in size, and price, and the engine will be smaller. The thrills of an FX in a slightly smaller and cheaper package.
  • extech2extech2 Posts: 120
    The June 07 Motor Trend on page 25 has a good photo of the upcoming Infinity EX 25 / EX 35.
    Engines available are a 3.5 V6 and a 2.5 liter four cylinder. The June Car and Driver carries the same photo. Estimated arrival should be the end of 2007. Looks like the Acura RDX will get a better-looking brother.
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    Nissan Rogue may share the platform, but it would be a mistake to offer a 4 cylinder.

Beautiful ride, doh! ;) Should be quite the sensation, especially back in NYC.

DrFill
  • twaintwain Posts: 185
    I agree. To justify the premium price for the Infiniti, it should be V6 only. And the Rogue should be 4cyl only.

I'd like the Infiniti :) but the Rogue fits my "less is more" philosophy better and my pocketbook.

Nissan probably should have kept the Altima a 4cyl and left the V6 to the Maxima. IMO, who needs a Maxima when there's an Altima V6?
  • mematimemati Posts: 3
    Anybody seen a spyshot yet? This thing should be somewhere out there for testing...Also any idea about the price range?
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I disagree on the four-cylinder part; the 4-cylinder model brings down the price of entry and offers people who want luxury but don't want to shell out big bucks for gasoline an option.

Then again, I've always thought a G25 wouldn't be a bad idea either, so I guess I am partial to the 4 cylinder models :blush:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,318
    I'd love to know the approximate size of this thing and what engine options it will have. Will it just be an EX35? How about an EX37? Or even a *gasp* EX45! woohoo! :)

I'd like to see a 3500-lb 300-hp AWD miniature version of the FX35, personally. It would be a top contender for my money, personally. Maybe 3500 lbs is asking too much, but DEFINITELY less than 4k. I'd want it to run to 60 in 6.5 secs or less, so whatever they need to do to make that happen, do it! :)

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

I feel you on the gas, but a $30k 4-cylinder SUV is a tough sell, no? Not many cleaning up in the market at this time.

The EX should look almost EXACTLY like the concept, even offer the giant chrome wheels!

Infiniti has shown that they can bring the thunder from Auto Show to Showroom. I am confident they can get it done.

Without a flagship, a solid mid-size SUV hit is very important.

DrFill
    well, technically, I don't believe this will be mid-sized. That's what the FX is for. This would be a compact ... I would think.

So it should get bigger, and more versatile.

It has plenty of room for growth.

DrFill
    I hope not!

I'm sick of vehicles continually getting larger with each redesign. I've been waiting for a sporty small SUV for years. I'm hoping the EX fits the bill.

• jblaze13jblaze13 Posts: 152
    I believe it has the same 112" wheelbase as the FX. I saw some dimensions on the outside but I can't find them now. I was curious as well. It came out to be just about the same size as an X3, RDX, etc. The FX is also about that size. In my mind, there is no doubt that the FX is moving up in size. The QX4 is gone and the EX will be the same size for less money. That's not going to work with the FX staying as is. I'm in the market for this type of vehicle. I'm trying to be patient.
    Well, if its the size of the FX, I don't see the point. And I definitely don't see how the 2.5 could possibly be sufficient in an FX-sized vehicle. So it just doesn't add up, IMHO.

And, really, wheelbase doesn't say much. As long as it gets shorter overhangs, has a lower center of gravity (ie, is not as tall as the FX), and loses some weight.

• jblaze13jblaze13 Posts: 152
    The FX is slightly larger in all proportions. I was generalizing. The EX is longer but shorter in height than its competitors. There's much more to weight than size. Infiniti has only shown the concept with a V6 at this point. The 2.5 is consumer speculation.

IMHO, the two will be too close in size and too far apart in price to make the FX viable in its current state. The FX's competitor's are bigger and more spacious. They have 3 row seating too.

EX
    112" wheelbase
    185.2" long
    72" wide
    63.2" tall

FX
    112" wheel base
    189" long
    76" wide
    66" tall

X3
    110" wheelbase
    180" long
    73" wide
    66" tall

RDX
    104" wheelbase
    181" long
    74"wide
    65" tall
    I didn't realize we had all these measurements. I thought it was still just a sketch at this point.(??)

IMHO, the FX doesn't have direct competitors that I can think of. In other words, if I'm in need of 3 rows and more space, I'm not shopping the FX, hence it doesn't compete with those with 3 rows. The ones that do seem to fit in terms of similar goals are either upmarket (Cayenne) or downmarket (CX7).

• michael2003michael2003 Posts: 144
    Now that the vehicle is going to officially be called the EX35, would it be appropriate to change the thread so that people will find it more easily?
  • brett2007brett2007 Posts: 39
    Yes, I think this is a good idea.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    Whew, this discussion has had more name changes than The-Artist-Formerly-Known-as-Prince-and-Also-Presently-Known-as-Prince.

Done!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews