Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Wave and Meet the Owners

Comments

• div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    I don't dislike the Liberty, but a lot of people do seem to have a lot of problems with them.

Thanks, Mac; I've since talked with a few owners and that's been my impression as well.

I can't say that I'm overly impressed with the DC Certified program either

That wasn't a major selling point for me, but I'd still hate to pay extra for an inferior CPO program.
    Guess I'll have to explore options outside the Jeep fold... :(
  • brazucabrazuca Posts: 95
    Hi, I'm an owner of a '97 TJ, my wife has a Toyota Matrix AWD, so you can see that we're not big fans of Large SUVs, even though we may need something like that in the future. Anyway, my neighbor got a Jeep Commander, it's big but very well built in my opinion, I liked it, perhaps you should check it out. There always the GC, but I don't have experience with quality on the latest versions of Grand Cherokees, I'm just trying to keep you in the Jeep family ;)
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the Commander is just too big for my tastes. As for the GC I've heard waaaaay too many horror stories to even consider it; one friend had DC buy back his first GC for peeling paint, and its replacement lost reverse gear with less than 20 miles on the odometer.
  • Even though this is a Wrangler forum (of which I am a very proud owner), I am also a very satisfied owner of an '05 GC Limited w/5.7 L Hemi engine with all the expected bells & whistles.

No problems yet, except a minor fuse blew that wouldn't allow the car to start (if you can call that minor /major).

We have just over 20,000 miles on it. Taken it on the beach in Florida, the mountains in NC (off roading - slightly), and of course all over northern VA which is where we are from.

Didn't consider the Commander, but assuming that you have the same package as the GC, I would expect that you could get the same happiness from that car as we have from the GC.

HOWEVER, it ain't no WRANGLER and there is absolutely no comparable vehicle to the 'original', no matter what the Japanese wannabee's say!

Chuck
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    If you are wanting a Liberty, you MAY want to wait and see what 2008 will bring ;). The spy shots I've seen show it looking a LOT like a mini Commander and a grown up Cherokee. Better lines, more aggressive, and some kind of huge sunroof, convertible type option on the top.

-Paul
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    I think there is a huge quality difference between the TJ and other Jeep models. I have not had one issue other than a door rattle with my 04 Rubicon. Our 04 Grand Cherokee has had 10 or more issues. I have been extremely disappointed in it to say the least. I plan on keeping my Rubicon for years to come, but I'm not sure I'd look at other Jeep models, or any vehicles made my Daimler Chrysler. The quaility just isn't there. I've already read reports that the engineers weren't given enough time to work out the bugs in the Wrangler, so Mac's advice is sound. Wait a couple of years. Of course, I waited 5 years to buy a Grand Cherokee and that didn't seem to help!
    Consider, overall, the Wrangler is a much simpler Jeep than the GC, or even the Liberty, esp with electronics.

My TJ was a first year of production. Other than the manifold breaking (still fairly common in newer TJ's), and a nagging pinion seal leak, it is has been a good Jeep.

It had the radiator leak that still happens (cuz it is essentially the same radiator) to newer TJ's as well, but I fixed that myself. :)

-Paul
    ...that whatever I buy is also going to serve as my daily driver AND I'm not going to spend over $20K- preferably much less. I think I've found a couple of potential purchases, but nothing certain- yet, anyway...
  • wpowellwpowell Posts: 125
    OK, I reserved judgement when the idea of splitting up the generic Wrangler forum was raised; I wanted to give it a chance. Well, I for one don't care for it. Previously, if I wanted a specific piece of information the "search" function would usually spit it right out. But, more often I just wanted to "hang out" here and see what was on everyone's mind or to-do list. Edmunds, you rearranged the furniture which I'm sure seemed like a good idea. Please put it back where it was; I'm tripping over the couch on the way to the bathroom. :cry:

Edit: please note that this is the first post in 3 days to the new "hangin' out" forum.
  • 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edmunds Brass (this is not directed at our friendly hosts) - -All your doing is killing this forum. When we were told that the forum would change to this format, there wasn't one positive response by the folks that frequent this site the most. I've been monitoring this forum for about 2 years now and try to contribute now and then if there's a subject I feel confident about. Mac, Tom, Mtgrl and many others have been here longer and are nice enough to field most of the questions. None of us feel like perusing 500 topics with one or two posts. (it will reach 500 in no time by the way.....actually it probably won't without anyone to answer the questions!). I've used this forum for many do-it-yourself projects and have saved a lot of money from the great suggestions from Mac and the gang.

I wonder what Daimler Chrysler thinks about this? I'm sure in one way or another they contribute to your site. There's a whole lot of talk about 2007 Wranglers on this site. It'd be a shame to drive away DC's best advertising. Word of mouth and good testimonials go a long way in someone making the decision to buy a new vehicle.

Listen to the folks that make these forums what they are. Go back to the way it was!!!!!
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Listen to the folks that make these forums what they are. Go back to the way it was!!!!!

Unfortunately I really don't see that happening. This whole change of direction to become like most other automotive forums has come from the top down. It certainly hasn't been driven from the bottom up.

Someone at a high level has decreed that this is the way to increase profitability, by increasing the number of hits Edmunds gets. More hits equal a higher advertising rate, which equals a greater income from the advertisers.

Unfortunately (again), it doesn't matter what we, the long timers and regulars, feel about the changes. In fact it doesn't really matter if we go away. Our number will pale into insignificance compared to the number of new hits that will be generated.

The new system will generate many more extremely specific thread titles. Whether or not those threads contain any pertinent information is irrelevant. What does matter is that someone using a search engine (Google etc.) will now find that Edmunds regularly appears close to the top of the results for their very specific search, as search engines will prioritize thread titles over content within them.

So, more search engine hits equate to more site hits. More site hits mean more income. It doesn't matter whether those people coming here find the answer they want, it's just the fact that they came that's important. Under the new site model it's important that as many people as possible come here asking questions and looking for answers, anything else is a bonus.
    Unfortunately (again), it doesn't matter what we, the long timers and regulars, feel about the changes. In fact it doesn't really matter if we go away.

And if the newbies wind up finding little or no accurate/useful information, so what? It's the amount of hits that will determine the success of the new format.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Can we old members just go on as usual in here, instead of in our old hangout, Jeep Wrangler? Maybe new folks will find us and ask some questions in here.

If nothing else, we can at least stay together and communicate amongst ourselves. I would hate to lose track of the good friends that I have in here.

Tomster
  • I'm in.

Terry
  • if they are going for more web hits, they need some help in the search engine optimization department.
  • I agree but I don't think it will change. Money will win out over community. Mac said it all and we may be stuck with the reality of a poor decision for all the wrong reasons. John
    And if the newbies wind up finding little or no accurate/useful information, so what? It's the amount of hits that will determine the success of the new format.

Exactly my point.........and because of the way that search engines work, it should be an initial success in terms of increasing the number of hits.
    The problem is that instead of a 'Problems & Solutions' board, there will be hundreds of individual topic titles with questions on very narrowly defined problems. Who is going to be answering them all?

The beauty of the new system (for Edmunds) is that not only will new visitors be coming here because Google has found a thread title encapsulating the very question they want answered, they will be encouraged to start new threads, thereby drawing more people here.......and so it will repeat.

Again, who will be answering these questions?
    I imagine we can, as long as it doesn't get too popular.

Apparently, that was the problem with 'Jeep Wrangler', too many posts.
    I'll be here. I don't know about being able to answer all the questions (or even a small fraction of them). But I love reading posts from everybody.

Like many of you, I hang out on other automotive forums as well and if I need VERY specific help, I'll go to those forums, to other sources that I've used successfully in the past. I suspect if Edmunds is trying to recreate a specific automotive-type forum for ALL the vehicles they cover, I suspect they're gonna need a LOT more money and a LOT more servers.

There ARE options for a friendly community-based Jeep forum, right Tom? :)

-Paul
  • nolid5nolid5 Posts: 148
    Long time lurker checking in - My "Jeep" piggy bank is getting full just waiting for the JK to get the bugs out. I spotted a cool video on YouTube with the new '07s on the Rubicon. I also agree with the concensus of the new forums, but if we all stick here it should be like nothing changed (except the number of posts for awhile)
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,114
    Heads up - somehow we managed to have two Wrangler "meets" going. We'll combine this one with the *Wave* and Meet discussion and keep all of y'all together that way.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

We'll combine the Meet the Members posts in here shortly; meanwhile the recent tire thread now has its own discussion. Please talk about your 31's and 32's in there (ok, 33's too, and toss in a few rims too!).

Jeep Wrangler Tires

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I hardly felt the bump as you hitched the coaches together. ;)
    That's because Tides disconnected the front sway bar and I aired the tires down. Keep it under your hat but another friend came along and gave us a nudge with his Hummer H1. :shades:

For those looking for the recent active tire thread, we put it over in Jeep Wrangler Tires.

• keatskeats Posts: 412
    Yep, I've always thought of this forum as more of a hang-out forum and talk about how we love our Jeeps (my previous Grand Cherokee rant aside...).
  • jimlw2jimlw2 Posts: 122
    Everytime I hear news reporting about the Southern California wildfires, I worry about Mtngal...Has she checked in here? I hope I'm wrong and that wildfire isn't causing her grief or any of the other SoCA folks that frequent our forum. Let us know how you're doing if you can.
  • 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    Tom's absolutely right. Let's just stick to this "meet the members" area and keep helping each other out. Hopefully the newbies will hunt us down.

-Dan
  • brazucabrazuca Posts: 95
    Hello Everybody...so far I got all my questions answered and I'm trying to keep following this forum....I'll stay here and follow you guys.... ;)
  • Welcome. I have been to Kentucky many , many times. A beautiful state with friendly people. Went to college in West Virginia (in the 60's). I am in Windsor,Connecticut and just wanted to welcome you to Jeepland. It took you awhile but you did it. Go Easy, John