Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Wave and Meet the Owners

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    What do members and hosts think?

The P&S board will also undergo "fine tuning." Your point is well taken and we'll have to think about how to work it.

tidester, host
  • brazucabrazuca Posts: 95
    Thanks for the reply....I don't think I need to go that extreme with POR15, my "rust" is just a superficial change in the color, therefore, I will probably paint with with the rustoleum as suggested in another reply. My car is from Indiana, which has winter salt, perhaps the previous owner took good care of it. What gives me good hope of not having problems is the upper body without any rust....let's see....time will tell, for now, I will touch-up the underbody for a nice "newer" look. I went to the website and found very interesting the POR15 solution for rust surfaces. I will definitely not to post productionn undercoating due to the risk of incomplete adhesion. Great forum....great tips...
  • Thanks for the info Mac.

Having towed a boat for many years, I am not worried about the backing up issue. However, I am concerned about the possibility of wear and tear on the Wrangler tranny. Also, I wonder about any potential problems of the towing on the GC.

What possible problems would I encounter to the Jeep and the GC if I towed with an A-frame? If I did use the A-frame, what position would be best to put the shifter in assuming that I put the 4-wd trans shifter in neutral?
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    I'm here and willing to see what develops. I still can't imagine having separate threads for every question that comes up.

A long time ago I suggested that we set up a few discussions that would answer some of the most frequently asked Jeep questions, and there was an overwhelming sentiment among the members at that time that doing so would keep new folks from "joining the community." It was felt that they would just go to the thread that pertained to their question, get their answer, and then disappear.

I could see what the folks were talking about and became convinced that they were right. I decided that it would NOT be a good idea after all.

Now, it looks like that is going to happen, and it will be carried much farther than what I proposed back then. I was only suggesting that a few new dicsusions be set up for the very most common issues, not a thread for every subject.

What will happen if someone comes into this general discussion and posts a technical question? Will his post be moved? If we want to he helpful to others, do we have to check every single discussion to see if there are new questions posted there?

Tomster
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Backing isn't an issue with a trailer, but it's difficult with a dolly and virtually impossible with an 'A' frame. Just think about the thrust path and the number of components that can turn/steer.

The GC should be fine if you're within the recommended limits, but a transmission cooler is always a good idea.

Biggest problem with the Wrangler will be tire wear, especially the fronts. They tend to shimmy when pulled instead of pushed, though if you adjust the toe to a minimal positive setting it may counteract it. Transfer case should be in neutral with the transmission in 'Park', or in any gear if it's a manual. Remember to unlock the steering as well!

Unless you're going to do this regularly, it probably makes sense to just rent a trailer for the trip. 'U Haul', Hertz, Penske etc. should all have something suitable.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    I've about decided to replace the TJ with a four door vehicle of some sort. The new Unlimited would be nice, but I'd almost certainly wind up serving as a beta tester for Daimler Chrysler- no thanks. While looking around I happened upon a Jeep Certified 2003 KJ Limited. It has Selec-Trac and ABS so it meets my minimum standards for a new(to me) vehicle. My other main concern -aside from the "cute-ute girly car" image and the atrocious "Pimp My Ride" OEM chrome wheels- is the truck's overall build quality and long term reliability. Do you have any service experience with the KJ? Thanks!
  • Its exactly like the old forum, just different.
  • I am checking in for me and my son, co-owners of a 1989 Jeep YJ. The son has the Jeep at college which is 40 miles away, but I am having fun driving it when it is home. Jeep has the 4 cylinder, but seems to good power with the 5 speed manual.

Wrangler is red with a black hardtop. The previous owner put on nice Jeep aluminum wheels and Goodyear Wrangler tires.

We are owners only since August 31st, but this group is the best at offering comments on Edmunds. I also follow Chevrolet Impala and Toyota Highlander. Although new to Jeep Wranglers, I have already found some of best of Jeep shopping and internet sites.

It may be of interest that my son is a drummer and we fit the entire drum set in the Jeep by temporarily taking out the back seat.

I will be going over Wrangler: Problems and Solutions later.

Bob
    Unfortunately, I can't really give you a positive response. I don't dislike the Liberty, but a lot of people do seem to have a lot of problems with them. I can't say that I'm overly impressed with the DC Certified program either (you can read about it on Edmunds here).

My personal exposure to the Liberty is rather limited, so the problems I've seen may not be representative of the marque as a whole. Perhaps you might like to read the views of quite a few '03 owners here.
    Welcome middleageguy. Isn't it cool how a Wangler of any age, will appeal to people of any age! :shades:
    I don't dislike the Liberty, but a lot of people do seem to have a lot of problems with them.

Thanks, Mac; I've since talked with a few owners and that's been my impression as well.

I can't say that I'm overly impressed with the DC Certified program either

That wasn't a major selling point for me, but I'd still hate to pay extra for an inferior CPO program.
    Guess I'll have to explore options outside the Jeep fold... :(
  • brazucabrazuca Posts: 95
    Hi, I'm an owner of a '97 TJ, my wife has a Toyota Matrix AWD, so you can see that we're not big fans of Large SUVs, even though we may need something like that in the future. Anyway, my neighbor got a Jeep Commander, it's big but very well built in my opinion, I liked it, perhaps you should check it out. There always the GC, but I don't have experience with quality on the latest versions of Grand Cherokees, I'm just trying to keep you in the Jeep family ;)
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the Commander is just too big for my tastes. As for the GC I've heard waaaaay too many horror stories to even consider it; one friend had DC buy back his first GC for peeling paint, and its replacement lost reverse gear with less than 20 miles on the odometer.
  • Even though this is a Wrangler forum (of which I am a very proud owner), I am also a very satisfied owner of an '05 GC Limited w/5.7 L Hemi engine with all the expected bells & whistles.

No problems yet, except a minor fuse blew that wouldn't allow the car to start (if you can call that minor /major).

We have just over 20,000 miles on it. Taken it on the beach in Florida, the mountains in NC (off roading - slightly), and of course all over northern VA which is where we are from.

Didn't consider the Commander, but assuming that you have the same package as the GC, I would expect that you could get the same happiness from that car as we have from the GC.

HOWEVER, it ain't no WRANGLER and there is absolutely no comparable vehicle to the 'original', no matter what the Japanese wannabee's say!

Chuck
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    If you are wanting a Liberty, you MAY want to wait and see what 2008 will bring ;). The spy shots I've seen show it looking a LOT like a mini Commander and a grown up Cherokee. Better lines, more aggressive, and some kind of huge sunroof, convertible type option on the top.

-Paul
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    I think there is a huge quality difference between the TJ and other Jeep models. I have not had one issue other than a door rattle with my 04 Rubicon. Our 04 Grand Cherokee has had 10 or more issues. I have been extremely disappointed in it to say the least. I plan on keeping my Rubicon for years to come, but I'm not sure I'd look at other Jeep models, or any vehicles made my Daimler Chrysler. The quaility just isn't there. I've already read reports that the engineers weren't given enough time to work out the bugs in the Wrangler, so Mac's advice is sound. Wait a couple of years. Of course, I waited 5 years to buy a Grand Cherokee and that didn't seem to help!
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Consider, overall, the Wrangler is a much simpler Jeep than the GC, or even the Liberty, esp with electronics.

My TJ was a first year of production. Other than the manifold breaking (still fairly common in newer TJ's), and a nagging pinion seal leak, it is has been a good Jeep.

It had the radiator leak that still happens (cuz it is essentially the same radiator) to newer TJ's as well, but I fixed that myself. :)

-Paul
    ...that whatever I buy is also going to serve as my daily driver AND I'm not going to spend over $20K- preferably much less. I think I've found a couple of potential purchases, but nothing certain- yet, anyway...
  • wpowellwpowell Posts: 125
    OK, I reserved judgement when the idea of splitting up the generic Wrangler forum was raised; I wanted to give it a chance. Well, I for one don't care for it. Previously, if I wanted a specific piece of information the "search" function would usually spit it right out. But, more often I just wanted to "hang out" here and see what was on everyone's mind or to-do list. Edmunds, you rearranged the furniture which I'm sure seemed like a good idea. Please put it back where it was; I'm tripping over the couch on the way to the bathroom. :cry:

Edit: please note that this is the first post in 3 days to the new "hangin' out" forum.
  • 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edmunds Brass (this is not directed at our friendly hosts) - -All your doing is killing this forum. When we were told that the forum would change to this format, there wasn't one positive response by the folks that frequent this site the most. I've been monitoring this forum for about 2 years now and try to contribute now and then if there's a subject I feel confident about. Mac, Tom, Mtgrl and many others have been here longer and are nice enough to field most of the questions. None of us feel like perusing 500 topics with one or two posts. (it will reach 500 in no time by the way.....actually it probably won't without anyone to answer the questions!). I've used this forum for many do-it-yourself projects and have saved a lot of money from the great suggestions from Mac and the gang.

I wonder what Daimler Chrysler thinks about this? I'm sure in one way or another they contribute to your site. There's a whole lot of talk about 2007 Wranglers on this site. It'd be a shame to drive away DC's best advertising. Word of mouth and good testimonials go a long way in someone making the decision to buy a new vehicle.

Listen to the folks that make these forums what they are. Go back to the way it was!!!!!