Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs Toyota Corolla vs Mazda3

Comments

• my 2000 Altima has a timing chain. Mazda innovation?
  • when people vote with their wallets, results are stunningly different!
  • Oh yeah! I almost forgot. The SER engines have timing chain. Remeber Nissan Sentra SER of 1995-1999?
  • "Oh yeah! I almost forgot. The SER engines have timing chain. Remeber Nissan Sentra SER of 1995-1999?"

How can that be? Mazda 'innovated' this in 2004 with the 3!
  • "Mazda comes out with the innovation, its competition plays catchup -- that's what I'm talking about."

How about the Civic's safety features? All round aribags standard across the trim levels, even the cheapest ones, along with ABS. Isn't that something?
  • Oh well what do yu expect. Go to mazda website and they spent pages describing how mazda3 performs well because of how good the steering feel is because of speed proportional steering and suspension and this and that but guess what? They could have just tell us "speed proportional steering" and independent suspension and be over with it. Does the civic and Corolla have speed proportional steering? Yes.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    Didn't the Ford Model A & T both have timing chains?

They also had the black dash - so Mazda must be stealing from the 1919 ford parts bin!
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    The Visigoth's had large wagon type vehicles with wheels.....they disappear for a few thousand years and next thing you know everyone has wheels on their vehicles.....stealing from the visigoth parts bin is considered to be a high crime.
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    Of course, a rubber timing belt (the proper name for this is: Gilmer belt) requires routine replacement. The typical replacement interval is 60,000 miles. A timing chain, either a single or duplex chain, seldom requires replacement under normal use. However, when a timing chain requires replacement due to excessive stretching, etc. - depending on the engine design - it can be much more expensive to replace than a Gilmer belt. A timing chain will stretch over time (that's what the chain tensioner is designed to counteract). Unfortunately, in some OHC engine designs, the engine must be pulled to replace the timing chain. Thus, although I much prefer a timing chain to a Gilmer belt design, one can't generalize about its overall long-term cost savings.
  • "just curious, but does the Corolla compete here on anything but price, MPG and the toyota nameplate?"

Because the Toyota is automotive novocaine, much like it's bigger sibling Camry. At least the Mazda and Honda appeal to folks who at least enjoy cars (to what degree is up to you). I have no doubt the Corolla would be a trouble free appliance for a few hundred thousand miles, but you might die of boredom long before then. :)
  • Thanks for the info! An improvement of 2 mpg on the highway with the 5AT (versus the 4AT) is pretty good. Now if only Mazda would give the 3 s a 6-speed manual...get the revs at highway speeds and get a few more mpg. I'm sure it would help acceleration times, too (not that they need it).
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,631
    Driving the Corolla makes you feel like you're driving an economy car. A very nice, smooth, refined economy car, but an economy car. And for those of us that Toyota ignored when it designed the driving ergonomics on the Corolla, driving the Corolla can also be literally a pain in the backside (and back, and arms...).

Driving the Mazda3 makes you feel like you are driving a sports sedan. A sports sedan that was obviously designed on a tight budget. But at least the money went into all the right places--engine, suspension, steering, shifting, gauges.

Driving the Civic makes you feel like you are driving an Accord--from the late '80s. But this car is more solid than any Accord of that era. It's peppier. It gets better fuel economy. It has a weird speedo. It's safer and more luxurious. And it costs more. But then, this is 2005, not 1988.
  • At this price range dont you think that people can afford to put the money where their mouth is? Its not not as if where choosing cars between an economy car and a luxury car. Theyre price within 1000-1500 of each other and are classified as ecomy cars. The best car is a compromise between all the qualities of cars in these category/price range.
  • Come to think of it I had an Accord 1989 10 years ago and to say that a Corolla is an economy car compared toa Civic that drives like n an Accord of late 80's is misleading.
    Of course the Corolla right now is outclassed by these newly redesigned cars (2004 and 2006 respectively) but it sure doesnt show on the sales figures. Wherever there is Corolla , whether Asia , Europe or Americas the Corolla outsells its competitor. Its because its the best compromise between economy performance, comfort and reliability.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,631
    My point in saying that driving the Civic is like driving an Accord from the past is that the Civic, to me, doesn't drive like an economy car but one step up from an economy car, and it is about the same size (at least inside) as the Accord from the late '80s. It even has the wedge front end and low profile of the Accord from back then.

I''ve driven lots of current-gen Corollas and to me they do drive like an economy car, albeit a very nice one. That's not a bad thing, and what the Corolla does it does very well. But it doesn't do it much better than other economy cars that cost thousands less.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    "I'm waiting to see how long it takes the other guys to bring out their copies of the Mazda5. They'll come -- just watch."

He probably means when does the Japanese Big 3 bring a car like the Mazda 5 to American Shores.
    "Each car company does it own thing. I believe every car company does takes some things from others - that's normal business. Who do you think Mazda took a lot of their ideas from and got to where they are? Probably Toyota and Honda because they are still the leaders in the industry."

I think Mazda and Honda are innovators but Toyota I admit they make good vehicles but they have no innovations. Mazda has the rotary and the Miller Cycle engine and making up the class that would later form the Honda S2K, BMW Z3/4. Honda has the VTEC engines and always make their cars as fuel effecient as possible.
    "From past experiences with mazdas (my friend's rx-7 and protege and family member's MPV minivan) the engines were a pain to fix, and often showed much more problems on long trips(2 yr old mazda minivan with <50k miles broke down twice while we were passing by tahoe) than Hondas or toyotas, so although qutie reliable, mazda reliability still(as far as self repairs and long term ownership) is still in my opinion, not up to par."

First off the RX-7 had the rotary engine in it that was a pain but that was a long time ago. Consumer Reports from about 1998-2003 lists the 626, Millenia, Miata, and Protege in their used Car best bets list. CR ranks all those models above average in reliability mostly for that particular time period. As far as engine problems didn;t Toyota have sludge problems with their engine a few years ago with the owners complaining? I;m not saying Toyota is a bad company but even Toyota has problems with their engines.
  • Which one has the highest quality interior (with the fewest sqeaks and rattles)?
    "The Mazda is slightly different but I don't think it's very unique --I think it's take a lot of its look from the Toyotas, especially the Corolla. They both have a lot of soft rounded corners all over it which makes it look very feminine. I prefer classic lines and more definition."

How does the Mazda 3 take its look from a Corolla. The Corolla the back end looks extemely bland in my opinion where as the the 3 looks "sporty". I see which you are saying that their shape looks alike but the Mazda looks alot better. Your point is well taken thoiugh about the (05)Civic having classic lines though. Honda may not have the sportiest looking cars but their exteriors age well despite me not liking the exteriors of the Accord Sedan and new 06 Civic Sedan. In my opinion the 92-95 and 96-00 Civic's look alot better than the last 2 Civics. The last one was alright however but not as sleek as the 90's model Civic's looked. The new one at least for the Sedan I don't like it.
This discussion has been closed.