Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs Toyota Corolla vs Mazda3

Comments

• steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    I couldnt get over the dash and steering wheel-a tad too odd for me. Also, pricey. I decided on the Cobalt because the pickup is excellent and the seats support my back well. The Mazda 3 was impossible to find at the time.
    I ruled out the Corolla afterb taking it for a test drive and finding that I couldnt wait to get out of the car. In my opinion the Corolla is way out of its league and too far outdated to make its reliability and Mileage a positive. I'm sure the new model will be loads better but right now I cant imagine anyone choosing it over a Civic 3, or even a Cobalt. To each his own I guess.
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,028
    I know what you mean about the Corolla. Our secretary has an '03 she'll be selling next year. I test drove it and I couldn't get the driver's seat far enough back to get comfortable, and I'm only 6' even. The Yaris was way more comfortable. I haven't test driven a Civic yet, but I'm sure I will at some point. I like the looks of the Cobalt, but GM has a horrible track record with the reliability of their smaller vehicles, so it's not even in the consideraiton running. So far, of all the cars I've test driven, believe it or not I like the Yaris hatchback the best. The redesigned Corolla might be worth a look, but we're gonna have to wait a while for that to be available.
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    The Cobalt's reliability has improved alot. It usually takes a couple years to work the kinks out of a new model.
    Be careful about the Yaris, take it on the highway before deciding. Even CR, which usually praises all that is Toyota rated the Yaris very low. If you like to drive, I dont think you'll like the Yaris.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Mind you, thegraduate, I'm not addressing these questions to you, I'm just kind of virtually shaking my head at all of it!

I completely understand, my friend. I think "out loud" on the forums all the time (lots of people do it). The people that seem to like the manumatic feature don't use it for what the marketing guys from the carmakers say (who tend to say it is the best of both worlds, "the control of a manual without the hassle of a clutch, and the automatic is there for traffic crawling, etc...")

The norm seems to be that people like how easy it is to use the "M" shift gate for engine braking; locking into 3rd gear on a hill, etc.

Always ask a question here; if one person can't help, it is very likely someone else CAN.

Best,

Thegrad
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,028
    I don't quite understand why CR, who usually has a love fest for everything Toyota puts out, dislikes the Yaris. They also didn't like the Echo and it generally speaking gets nothing but rants and raves from its owners. I have driven the Yaris on the highway and I'm not seeing what the gripes are about this car. OTOH, many testers have claimed the Fit is superior to the Yaris in almost every way, shape, and form, and I see it as just the opposite. I don't get all the negativity about the Yaris as it's certainly unwarranted.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    I don't quite understand why CR, who usually has a love fest for everything Toyota puts out, dislikes the Yaris. They also didn't like the Echo and it generally speaking gets nothing but rants and raves from its owners.

The average CR reader has a household income of about $140k which is probably a *bit* above the those who generally drive an economy car by necessity. Those people are generally driving larger, more powerful vehicles that against which any subcompact will seem pretty cheap.

When I take one of the fleet cars out for a week - especially the high end models - I am always surprised that I can still drive my usual car and be happy with it.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    the civic si is actually not that much more expensive than certain 3 models (excluding speed3, in which the si's handling still is not to far behind.), and while you don't get creature comforts as leather and such, it is the superior performing car. and as ok as the 3's gearbox is, the civic si's is proabably the best in the sub 25k pricerange.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    This is the Civic vs Corolla vs Mazda3 discussion. Cobalts, Yariis, Echos, Fits don't really belong here. The Economy Sedans discussion would be a good place to pursue some of this recent conversation.
  • HI,

I am planing to buy a 2007 Honda Civic LE. I was wondering if any one has bought the Honda Civic in the past week or so, so I can get the price information that they paid. I am not very good in negotiating the price. Thanks in advance.
    which is weird, since you think people with that much income wouldn't mind a trip or two to the dealer for warranty covered problems on their car. :P
    i'm assuming that you mean civic lx? check out the 'prices paid and buying experience' forum, that should answer all your questions!
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    I've never even tried it on the wife's 3s model, and I know she never has. Just put it into D and go. The weight distribution must be almost 50/50 in the car as I almost never feel the car shift going up the power band. Very smooth and has been since day 1, eventhough we had the tranny fluid serviced a couple of weeks ago. Our service policy called for it at the 30k mark and car drives as good as new. Still need to replace the air filter though.

The Sandman :)
  • You awake?

When's the new Corolla due out?
  • The new Corolla is *expected* out February 2008. Unfortunately, I need a car before then - and it looks like I will be leaning towards the Civic LX (preferably '07)...

Reason I'm leaning towards Civic, compared to:
    Corolla - want some extras like mp3; lame reasons: new one is coming out soon; sister owns one

Mazda3 - I'm biased and feel a bit uncomfortable being in a car that Ford has a large hand in; more $ than Civic LX and Corolla

I like the fact that Civic has 1) ABS, and 2) extra airbags, 3) AUX in and MP3 cd player

Any advice anyone can share :-)?
  • Drive them all and buy the one that you are most comfortable with.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Drive them all and buy the one that you are most comfortable with.
    Agreed. They are all excellent choices for different buyers. The Mazda3 has a long history of reliability and quality in spite of Mazda's long affiliation with Ford. For an independent view, see Consumer Reports which rates them all highly.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Mazda3 - I'm biased and feel a bit uncomfortable being in a car that Ford has a large hand in; more $ than Civic LX and Corolla

Being ignorant will make you sorry. In this case, it will. The Mazda3 is top rated, and is built in Japan by Mazda. You should atleast drive it. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

The Mazda3 i Touring is same price as a Honda Civic LX.

I like the fact that Civic has 1) ABS, and 2) extra airbags, 3) AUX in and MP3 cd player

The Mazda3 also has all of the following. 99% of all Mazda3 i models are ordered with the ABS/SAB/SAC package, and comes with a standard AUX input. You can upgrade to the MP3 player.
  • Oh ok, I didnt know that. I'll definitely have to check out CR, and test drive the Mazda3 and Civic again...
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    CR likes the Mazda3, as does most every consumer publication.

Like I said, if you don't like the Mazda3, simply scratch it off your list. Only you can determine what vehicle is best for you. The Corolla, Civic, and Mazda3 are all excellent choices.
  • As far as reliability, I'd still feel better about the Honda or Toyota, but this is personal bias most likely from having great experiences with my two Hondas.

If you prefer ride comfort, go with the Corolla.
    If you prefer handling but don't want to compromise economy, get the Civic.
    If you prefer the sportiest sedan you can get for $20k or less, and economy is less important, get the 3.

Cons to these cars?

Corolla: Boring, 6 year old design, numb/slow steering, weak torque.
    Civic: Road noise, rear-seat room (both legroom and headroom), styling is love it/hate it.
    3: Tire noise/vibration in the cabin, fuel economy, black interior is TOO dark.

Just a quick little mini-review of these three from me. My dad has a 2007 Civic EX, my ex gf had a 2004 Corolla, and a close friend of mine has a 2004 Mazda3S. That's where my personal experience comes from.
  • irismgirismg Posts: 345
    You may be surprised at this suggestion, but look at the Cobalt LTZ. It's the same size as the Corolla (MY Corolla, anyway), about the same backseat space at Corolla (although, if you ferry people on a regular basis, I'd look at a Camry-sized vehicle), and depending on the package level, about the same price. And, it comes in a beautiful blue granite color that's to die for.

I was lot-surfing on Sunday when all the salesfolk are gone and found an 08 Cobalt LS that was left unlocked. All things being equal, I found the LS interior incredibly cheap, even for Chevrolet. If you're spoiled by the Corolla velour seating, these cheap fabric they used on this model will be very disappointing. It seemed as thin as a bedsheet, my butt seemed to slide around more, and the bucket seat didn't seem very accomodating to my wide hips! Definitely wasn't a woman's car. Also, the steering wheel looked and felt as if it came off a toy. Again, probably spoiled by Corolla's foam-padded wheels.

All that being said, it had intelligently-place storage, a power plug-in (haven't figured out what that's for), good looking controls that seem to be in a good place. I'm willing to try out the leather LTZ model. It's all power and has side curtain airbags standard. I haven't found one on anyone's lot yet, but I think it'll be interesting to see if the seat will at least be wider. Even though it's tricked out, it still might be good value for the money, as long as you don't waste your money on OnStar, which is a $700 option even for the top-line Cobalt. And, it's much handsomer than its Ion cousin. The wheels look good, too.

Then again, it may be worthwhile just to stick with Corolla and just get an '07 or '08 program car. You know what they say, there some people you date, and some people you marry...
  • irismgirismg Posts: 345
    MMmmmmmmmm...ride comfort... ;)
  • thanks guys for your input... i really appreciate it... the interior is fairly important to me, so I think I will have to scratch off the Cobalt. That leaves Corolla, Civic, Scion tc, and Mazda3...

thegraduate - you mentioned road noise in the Civic - how bad is it (compared to Corolla, since I am very familiar with that car)? and is it noticeable only on highway, or always?

also, btw, what car did you go with thegraduate?

THANKS!
  • thegraduate - you mentioned road noise in the Civic - how bad is it (compared to Corolla, since I am very familiar with that car)? and is it noticeable only on highway, or always?

also, btw, what car did you go with thegraduate?

I went with an Accord (I'm 6'4"), but it shares traits with the Civic like the Camry does with the Corolla. The Corolla just doesn't fit me because of driving position, it works perfectly for others (like my 5'2" ex-girlfriend whose 2004 LE I did drive a fair amount, rather uncomfortably); that's my big problem with it. My father has a 2007 Civic EX however and that car is a BLAST to drive.

The best way I can tell you about the sound is to drive the car and compare yourself. The Corolla had a fair amount of engine noise, but it all-in-all was a softer/quieter car than the Civic. Not a GIANT difference by any means, but noticeable to my little ears.

irismg said it best with "mmmmmmm, ride comfort" in the Corolla. If I had to sum it up, I'd have to go "wheeee! handling" in the Civic. :)
  • the LTZ model was discontinued for '08 so you have to get a LT Model and get the leather as an option (you may have to get at least a L2).
    I have a '06 LT with the 16 inch wheels which I recommend as an option. The interior in the LT is at least as good as the Corolla, the only small car with a better interior is the Mazda 3 IMO.
    Onstar is awesome, I think its worth every penny. It actually emails you engine diagnostics monthly. It will also unlock your car if you lock the keys inside.
    I would stay away from the Corolla, personally I find its driving dynamics to be dreadful. If you want comfort at the top of your list I would go with the Elantra. Sporty, the Mazda 3. Combo of the 2-Cobalt. My 2 cents.
    totally nailed it. The regular civics handling is often over looked, usually by people just focusing on the mileage it gets and what it looks like. It isnt EXACTLY the mazda 3, but in the same manner as the mazda 6 and accord compare, it offers a much better blend of ride and handling. (right inbetween the corolla and 3.)
    Glad we have both the Civic and the 3. The 2.3 engine on the Mazda is a real zoomy one that's got ample power...and then some, when the wife needs it. Had to merge onto I-95 last weekend and very glad we took the 3. I nailed the accelerator and was able to get into the needed lane when the bonehead behind me didn't want to let me in. Was able to tap down on the gas pedal and zoom...I was gone. He just gave me a dirty look down the road some as we went on our way. Guess he thought his beemer gave him entitlement to put us in a dangerous situation. What's up with that? The 3 really performed when we needed it. Thanks Mazda!
    Day after day, I get more pleasure driving the Civic on my 18 mile daily commute. A straight shot down a divided 6 laner with multiple lights and many drivers. The car moves nicely when I get some open road in front of me and have plenty of low end torque to get the job done. Not as powerful as the 3, but got it for the better mileage figures which have not disappointed with a hair over 10k on the odo. Great all around car for the money.

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Day after day, I get more pleasure driving the Civic on my 18 mile daily commute ... got it for the better mileage figures which have not disappointed with a hair over 10k on the odo

What are you averaging?
    Averaging 30 in the city and 36 on the highway. Respectable figures and I'm quite happy with the car.

• WOW!!!!! :surprise:
    Is this for a automatic or manual?
This discussion has been closed.