Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs Toyota Corolla vs Mazda3

Comments

• Ahhh the graduate.... always a good reply to my posts!

Well actually the past two tanks i've tracked i have gotten 22mpg - I am pretty meticulous about tracking my mpg...or neurotic - you decide - however i know its accurate. Anyway, I am letting it warm up a bit more, about three mins but only when the car has sat for a while (i.e., in the morning). I know that the car is going to get worse gas mileage in the winter but now ten miles different - seems a bit ludicrous. I know SUVs (my friend's CRV) that is getting better mpg than my corolla.

Driving harder - ya know i kind of drive like an old lady - hence my purchase of a corolla- so no i don't think so - the car only has 3,000 miles on it - i mean i guess i have to punch it sometimes in the city to avoid a crazy driver but all in all i think i am pretty standard over the past three months of owning the car.

I ask about the time of ownership, because I am quite disappointed in my purchase and have been thinking about a trade in and I am wondering just how insane that is.... the mpg is just really aggravating me - save the world girl at heart!

Last - do you think something is wrong with my car???

do you think i can call the dealer on false advertising?

My previous car was a '92 honda civic - loved it - wish i could have drove it into the ground - but someone else wanted it so they took it (you may remember this story from past posts).

ok grad - any advise - i'm here....nursing my wounds from a Chicago Bears loss in the SuperBowl....
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Well actually the past two tanks i've tracked i have gotten 22mpg - I am pretty meticulous about tracking my mpg...or neurotic - you decide - however i know its accurate. Anyway, I am letting it warm up a bit more, about three mins but only when the car has sat for a while (i.e., in the morning). I know that the car is going to get worse gas mileage in the winter but now ten miles different - seems a bit ludicrous. I know SUVs (my friend's CRV) that is getting better mpg than my corolla.

-Warming up the car will use a decent amount of fuel, but 22 MPG is pretty low, I'll definitely agree.

-What kind of mileage did you get in the Civic in the same type of conditions? If it got in the low-mid 20s, then I'd say your vehicle is probably fine. Do you do a lot of stop and go city driving?

-I would be tempted to let the dealer take a look at the car, but since you are at 3k miles, maybe ask about it at the oil change, and mention your concern. 22MPG is NOT normal for regular driving, but with a lot of idling, warming up, and stop and go, its pretty easy to get to. Remember, for every minute your car idles, you are getting 0 MPG.

-You can't call the dealer on false advertising, because the dealer, and even Toyota corporation, are not the ones who come up with the mileage estimates. That's the EPA.

Let me know what your commute is like (how far, and how long it generally takes to go that many miles). I understand you don't drive aggressively (under 4k RPM most of the time, I'd guess?), but a lot of stopped time is what will kill mileage.

That's all I can tell you for now, with the facts I've got.
  • Civic Mileage = 32 miles in the city and 38 on the highway - consistently. Same type of driving i do now with the corolla.

Yes, i do mostly stop and go driving in the city. I really only have to drive 2.8 miles to work (no public transport), but it is all lights and many people on the road.

commute = 2.8 miles to work, it takes me any where from 20-35 mins to get to work. Yikes that's scary....
    commute = 2.8 miles to work, it takes me any where from 20-35 mins to get to work. Yikes that's scary....

Ok, there's all I need to hear. You are averaging about 5 miles an hour - which is really REALLY bad for mileage. Remember, the CITY EPA estimate is averaging 20 MPH, or making 4x the forward progress that you are. With that kind of commute, I'm amazed that you got 32 MPG if this is in fact the same commute you had in your old Civic. I wouldn't expect 20 MPG in a 5 MPH average drive, so I'd say your Corolla is performing pretty well, considering.

Have you taken your car out on the highway for a trip (over say, 250 miles highway at one time?) Do this, and see if your mileage hits mid-upper 30s or better. If it does, your car is likely just fine.

Honestly, my personal opinion is that nothing wrong with your car, instead everything is wrong with your commute.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Posts: 130
    You can easily bike or ski to work.
    If she's dresses in a business suit and heels for work, or does anything less than casual, that could pose some difficulty!
  • Yes, I guess it is bad...

I have taken the corolla on one long trip and i averaged 40 mpg - I was smiling!!!!

I'm glad to hear your expert, graduate opinion things nothing is wrong with the corolla. Now if only summer could come sooner....

Thanks!
  • I do in fact ride my bike to work in the summer time - quick change into the suit and heals when i get to the office. But the winter poses a whole new threat.... snow and freezing cold temps... not to mention I don't work in the best of neighborhoods so night time is not very safe for a woman on her own on a bike.

Cheers!
    Yes, I guess it is bad...

I have taken the corolla on one long trip and i averaged 40 mpg - I was smiling!!!!

I'm glad to hear your expert, graduate opinion things nothing is wrong with the corolla. Now if only summer could come sooner....

I'm definitely no expert, but I do have some knowledge about what will help and hinder mileage. Call it a moderately educated opinion. :)

My ex-GF drives her Corolla pretty hard, and averaged 31 MPG with mix city/hwy driving. I drove her car two days worth while mine was in the body shop getting repaired, and I averaged 35 MPG in similar conditions to her 31 MPG (driving styles are important). Still, you'll get better mileage at 85 MPH than you will doing stop and go at 5 MPH.

The fact that you got 40 MPG makes me pretty certain your Corolla is fine. Happy to have discussed this! ;)
  • steve333steve333 Posts: 200
    Unfortunately you have to drive the thing. I test drove a 2006 Corolla and it was the worst car I have ever driven. The Steering Wheel is at an odd angle, the engine sounded like an angry lawn mower and the engine had no torque, it just lurched until i got in on the Freeway.
    I fully expected a smooth nice handling car after reading press reviews and was shocked at how poorly it drove.
    I have a feeling that many people don't test drive other cars. They feel that Toyota's are reliable so thats what I'm going to buy.
    Luckily I test drove everything out there. The Mazda 3 was my first choice but I couldn't find any to buy (their ship sunk and lost a few thousand cars). I couldn't get over the new Civic's dash, so it came down to the Cobalt.
    I gotta say, this little sucker drives like a bigger car. Very good acceleration, quiet, excellent highway ride, and good handling.
    Funny how I see the comparison between the Civic, Corolla, and Mazda 3 but no mention of the Chevy Cobalt.
    I assume anyone interested in the Mazda 3 and Civic would be interested in a compact car that is actually fun to drive. Having test drove a Corolla I wouldn't place that car anywhere near the Civic or 3. The Cobalt belongs in the comparison though. Its surprisingly fun to drive and acceleration is much better than the Corolla and rides better, much better.
    Take a look at the Cobalt. In my opinion it ranks just below the 3 and Civic in fun to drive factor. The Corolla I would place dead last.
    There is an "Economy Sedans $16k-$20k" thread that includes many more sedans than just these three. Some people prefer more narrow discussions, and thus this one exists. If you can't find one to suit you, create your own! :)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    The Mazda 3 was my first choice but I couldn't find any to buy (their ship sunk and lost a few thousand cars). I couldn't get over the new Civic's dash, so it came down to the Cobalt.

Mazda3's are in slim inventory, depending on where you live. You may want to check out the VW Rabbit, if you have not purchased already. They don't rate as well in reliability, but, I have heard they drive nice and have great fit and finish. Possibly the new Nissan Sentra as well.
    I decided to get a certified used 2006 Cobalt LT Sedan. So far I am pretty happy with it. Rides well for a compact car and rides nice on the freeway which was important to me.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    I have heard good things about the Cobalt also, especially the SS model. If GM produces more of this type of vehicle I think they are well on the way to recovery. Keep us posted on your experience with your used Cobalt.
    I agree. My mother has a 2006 Impala and its been a good car overall, although she is getting terrible MPG.
    I will keep you posted.
  • colincslcolincsl Posts: 1
    What do you guys think about a last-gen ('04 or '05) Civic versus an '06 Corolla?
    Go for the Civic. The Corolla is a horrible driving car. I still think the Cobalt is better than the older Civic however. But between the Civic and Corolla, its the Civic easily.
  • dchevdchev Posts: 37
    I do not want to offend anybody; however, to call Corolla "a horrible driving car" is a pure non-sense.
    Toyota Corolla is much more of a car than Chevy Cobalt. I do not know how you came up with the idea that Chevy Cobalt is such a nice vehicle.... Of course the Cobalt will feel more powerful-it has 2.2l and 2.4l engine. If you want to compare it for its power go ahead and do it with Scion tC.... I bet you that nobody will prefer the Cobalt...
    The Corolla is a pretty decent car. The design of the car is 5-6 years old; however, Toyota has made so many improvements on this car since 2005. For example, you can buy a Corolla with side air bags, ABS brakes, Stability Control, auto-dimming mirror, leather seats, moon roof. These options are not standard; however, you can find them in Dealerships. I am pretty sure that 2008 Toyota Corolla (new design) will have many options as standard equipment.
    I bought a 2007 Toyota Corolla 2 months ago, and I can say that I am completely satisfied. It depends what you want. If you want full luxury, then you can buy Toyota Camry or even Lexus...
    I wanted a car that will give me good gas mileage and will have comfortable ride. It gives me 30MPG in 30/70 hwy/city-this is mileage in the winter. I believe it will go up to 34-35 MPG.
    People buy Toyotas because they offer nice comfortable ride for daily commute.

I do not say that Honda Civic, Mazda 3, Chevy Cobalt....are bad choices. Go and drive all these models and see what you will like most.
    However, Toyota and Honda will last longer in a long run.
    Steve333, enjoy your Cobalt! :)
    Well, I test drove a 2006 brand new Corolla and this is what I'm basing my opinions on. Either there was something seriously wrong with the car I drove or something else is wrong. Getting it up to freeway speed was a chore with the engine lurking and lurching and sounded like a bad lawn mower. The steering wheel was cantered downward at an angle and made it difficult to find a comfortable driving position. I literally couldn't wait to get out of the car.
    Now, what I'm saying is that folks need to test drive every car they are considering. Don't go by what CR says. The Corolla may be reliable but I would rather enjoy driving my car and have a couple more warranty related problems with it then dread driving every day.
    The Corolla is indeed an old design and nowhere near the top of the class anymore. In my opinion the car does not deserve the sales numbers it gets. There are far better choices out there, and yes I think the Cobalt LT is one of them.
    But you know what they say about opinions........everybodys got 'em!
This discussion has been closed.