Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs Toyota Corolla vs Mazda3

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Acura doesn't offer a 6-speed auto either, by the way, not that its on topic. Honda isn't leading the way across the board! Just clearing that up. ;)

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I've heard at the Mazda "water cooler" that the 2009 Mazda3 will put a 5-speed auto in the next gen Mazda3i (thank god, it needs one!!!) Also, possibly a 6-speed manual for the s model.
  • cz75cz75 Posts: 210
    At least you expect a mediocre car when you buy a Ford.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,695
    Don't forget that the Mazda3 is, in effect, a "Ford." But hardly mediocre. ;)
  • moocow1moocow1 Posts: 230
    Focus is still only 1/3 the sales of a Corolla. And honestly, the car isn't that much worse than a corolla. The interior is about even, the technology with sync is better, and the driving dynamics are basically 2000 sporty vs 2009 mushy. Not exactly a huge advantage for toyota. And most people with any information would know it's not a good driving car these days, it's for the silly features and the mpg.
    And while Ford owns a chunk of Mazda, mazda still does whatever they want with the cars...their engineering for driving dynamics is just plain better. Also only the european focus uses the same platform until redesign.
    I wouldn't call the 2009 Corolla "mushy". But it does have an exceptionally smooth, quiet ride for a small car. A good tradeoff compared to crisp handlers with firmer rides like the Civic and Mazda3, IMO.

At least the Corolla offers all the latest safety technology--unlike the Civic and Mazda3i. And Focus.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Don't find our Civic or 3 that firm actually...both ride really smooth. Again, it comes down to peresonal preferences and perceptions. I could not tell Backy that his Elantra drives a certain way just based on some test drives no more than he can tell me how our cars ride. With age cars soften up and different areas of the country have different road surfaces. I've found that nothing is really absolute.
    All great cars in this segment though.

The Sandman :)
    I was giving my opinion of how the Corolla rides compared to the Civic and Mazda3. Others may have a different opinion. However, if you have not yet driven the 2009 Corolla to compare it to the Civic and Mazda3, I think if you do you will find that the Corolla's ride is considerably smoother and quieter than that of the other two cars. That may not be important for some buyers, but I see it as a significant difference in these 3 cars.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    I know I'm off topic here, but drove the '08 Sentra and '08 Versa today. Versa was a nice small car with a very large greenhouse look and comfy seats but the auto tranny wasn't up to the task. Didn't drive the CVT equipped car but bet it would have been much better. The CVT Sentra on the other hand was an awesome drive...seemless shifts with unlimited power up the power band and the car never felt bogged down no matter what I threw at it. Outstanding actually with no difference between it and our 2.3 3s actually. Had the wife drive them both also and she also said it drove almost identical to her 3. I was impressed!
    Also checked out the Optima, Spectra, Rio, G5 and the G6. Now back to the topic at hand.

The Sandman :)
  • momusmomus Posts: 4
    Find me another four-door sedan that gets at least 25 mpg city and offers leather, navigation, and stability control. Please.

(The above parameters are non-negotiable. I tried. If I had my way, I'd buy a 3i with Katzkin and a $200 TomTom.)
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    How about a Jetta Diesel? Per the (rediculously low) EPA numbers, the 2009 Jetta Sedan gets 30 mpg city and 41 mpg highway, and it is available with all of the other goodies that you say are "non negotiable".

That said, I've now had two cars with stability control, and personally, I don't get what all the fuss is about, especially for FWD oriented cars.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    The '09 Sonata Limited I4 will get very close to 25 mpg city, depending on what you mean by "city", based on its better fuel economy than the 2006-8 Sonatas and my driving exerperiences with several Sonatas from those years. The '08 Accord EX-L I4 with nav would be really close also. As would the '09 Optima (same powertrain as the '09 Sonata, and nav will be available on it).

And the 2009 Civic EX-L with nav and VSC will meet all of those requirements easily.
    Find me another four-door sedan that gets at least 25 mpg city and offers leather, navigation, and stability control. Please.

Toyota Prius?
    Well, it's a hatchback, and some folks won't be caught dead in a hatchback, but it certainly meets all the other criteria!
    When will the Jetta TDI be available in the US?
    2009 Sonata: 22 city...close, but no cigar. If I could swing that, I could get into a Mazda3 GT and be happy. Good car, though.

Prius: Good suggestion. I'd rather drive a Corolla.

2009 Civic: I hope, hope, hope the '09 has stability control. Any official word? I never thought I'd be so excited about the prospect of driving a Civic, but yeah...

It may be a race against time for the '09 Civic and TDI. Thanks for the suggestions.
    I thought you were talking about real-world mpg numbers, vs. EPA.

The 2009 Civic WILL have VSC, it was announced by Honda a long time ago. Just not sure yet in which trims. But certainly the top-end leather + nav trim will have it. Did you know the 2009 Fit Sport will also offer VSC (have to get nav too)? You could put aftermarket leather in it, and there you go.
    Dealerships have demo models now available for test drives, and the cars are supposed to start hitting our shores in volume in August or September.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    How about a Jetta Diesel?

Fine, if reliability isn't an issue....
  • peddler3peddler3 Posts: 10
    Does the mazda 3 in any form have heated side mirrors? I havn't been able to find any info on this.

Thanks
  • ylzylz Posts: 45
    Hello everyone. I decided I'm buying a 2008 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback. I have two important questions and would love to hear feedback on it so anything would help. First, how is the Navigation in this car? Someone who has the Nav, please comment on this. I mean, honestly I really want it cause it looks good and I'm always travelling and a Nav system would come so in handy. And the second question I have is what color do you guys prefer. I was all set on black until I went to the dealership today and saw metropolitan gray. What a gorgeous color! Its like dark grey but with a touch of blue. Actually, it looks bluish-grayish. I know these two things seem unimportant but it will really affect my decision on this car. Ok, thanks a lot.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    How about a Jetta Diesel? Per the (rediculously low) EPA numbers, the 2009 Jetta Sedan gets 30 mpg city and 41 mpg highway, and it is available with all of the other goodies that you say are "non negotiable".

Can't say about the 09 models, but no 08 Jettas have leather interior as an option. And, here in SC, when I was in the market last January, the closest Jetta with factory NAV was in Texas, according to the local VW dealer. Of course, you could order one with NAV and wait 60+ days...
    "Can't say about the 09 models, but no 08 Jettas have leather interior as an option."

Really? What about the Jetta GLI? I'm pretty sure that the GLI has been available with the Autobahn Package (which includes leather) for several years now.

Regarding the NAV system, yeah, most folks don't seem to want it, and so they're kind of hard to come by. For my part at least, I have no problem waiting for sixty days to have a car built exactly to my specifications, so I don't think that's unreasonable, but that's just me. ;)

FWIW, I ran across a 2009 option sheet a month or so back on a different board, and I'm 90% positive that the top trim level is available with leather seating and NAV.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    Really? What about the Jetta GLI? I'm pretty sure that the GLI has been available with the Autobahn Package (which includes leather) for several years now.

The last time I was on the VW web-site, the GLI was considered a different model than the Jetta, even thought the body style is the same. A technical difference, I admit, but the GLI is oriented as a "performance" model.

Going through the thread, it didn't seem to be the direction the poster was headed, in my opinion.

As for me, when I was shopping last January, VW had the sale, but lost it due to a fuel efficient model with decent options, such as leather, self-diming interior rear-view mirror and other options that were easily found on other competitor's models.
  • I think you still need to be in Canada to get heated mirrors (because we don't get ice in the states).. kind of screwed up considering Hyundais and Kias have 'em.

But I found this link for heated side mirrors:
    http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=4670- 48&siteid=214264&catalogid=4010
  • cyshescyshes Posts: 7
    Any chance the 2009 Mazda3i will come with stability control (VSC)? I think it's the only thing that's really preventing me from going with the Mazda3.
    "I think you still need to be in Canada to get heated mirrors..."

The Civic EX-L comes with heated mirrors.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    The '09 Civic is on the way within the next month and a half. Changes include the addition of trim levels slotting between the DX and LX (lower middle) and LX and EX (upper middle). The Civic VP (value package) will basically be a DX with Air Conditioning and a stereo. The LX-S will be a sport package for the LX, with alloys, sport seats, and a rear-deck spoiler. Sedans will be getting the 3-spoke wheel from the coupes.

Also, revised styling will be minor changes only, a slightly larger grille opening, and minor adjustments made to the lighting.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Where can I see pics of the upgraded Civic?
This discussion has been closed.