Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs Toyota Corolla vs Mazda3

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,280
    I'm trying to do everything I can to improve her odds of surviving beyond her teen years.

I would strongly recommend that you look into Street Survival.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    I don't think that's true. I remember reading on the IIHS site that a manufacturer can pay a fee to the IIHS to have the car tested earlier than the IIHS' test schedule. That would mean the car does not come from a dealer. Also, for frontal impact tests most IIHS tests now are done by the manufacturer using the IIHS' procedure, and the results are reported to and published by the IIHS. You can read in the ratings whether the test was done by the manufacturer or by the IIHS. The IIHS still does all the side and rear tests themselves.

So anyway, Mazda could pay the IIHS to re-test the Mazda3 with side bags and curtains. It's likely the IIHS won't test it again until the redesigned Mazda3 comes out in a year or two.
    I agree with you that I'd rather go with known crash test results than unknown ones. But your previous post was comparing results of a current design to an old design, which I think is unfair and misleading. It would have been more accurate to say that the Elantra got a Good on the IIHS frontal test and hasn't been tested yet by the IIHS for side impact.

Also, FYI ESC is standard on the Elantra SE for 2008, and the Elantra also has 4-wheel disc brakes, compared to rear drums on some Civics. I think the Mazda3 has discs all around also.

The 2009 Corolla, due out next month, should get excellent crash test results, with its heavier structure and six airbags standard, but those results haven't been done yet (or at least not published yet). But VSC is standard only on the rare XRS trim; optional on others however.
  • gene2gene2 Posts: 10
    Backy: I'll say it again - I agree with you, I AM being unfair by comparing more recent crash test scores with older crash test scores. However, I'm forced to make buying decisions based on the data presented to me. The fact that some manufacturers haven't had their vehicle destroyed by the IIHS in the last two years is not my problem.

Thank you for correcting me about the Elantra. You're right, the higher end SE DOES have ESC. Didn't mean to mislead anyone. BTW, I've owned 2 Elantras (an '03 and an '05). I loved them both. Not so good handling, but what a great, comfortable ride for straight-line driving! The '03 I used primarily to commute between San Antonio and Houston. This thing had the most comfortable driver's seat of ANY car I've ever owned, it was reliable, the ergonomics were wonderful, and it had plenty of power. After 2 years and 60K miles, I foolishly traded it in (gave away) for a car I'm too embarassed to mention. After getting rid of the embarassing car, I went back to Hyundai. It was like going back to an old friend. Unfortunately, after running over a trailer hitch with the '05 Elantra, it was never quite the same, and I sold it (after numerous repairs) and bought an '07 Civic. The Civic I'm finding to be far less comfortable than the Elantra, but handles 10X better.

With the '03 Elantra, I only had two problems - both low beam headlight bulbs burned out, which Hyundai replaced for free and with no hassle. The problems I had with my second Elantra I believe were all related to the trailer hitch fiasco, which filleted the bottom of my car.

I was very impressed with both Elantras, and look forward to seeing how they fare in the next round of crash tests. Thank you for correcting me about the Elantra's ESC. Thanks to you, this car's back on my radar screen.
    Roadburner: Thank you for the tip. I will look into "Street Survival."
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    This directly from their web site:

"The Institute buys the vehicles we crash test directly from dealers. We try to cover as much of the marketplace as we can, choosing vehicles to test that represent a range of manufacturers and the largest portions of new car sales. See our vehicle ratings page for a complete list of all vehicles the Institute has tested. We don't release information in advance about individual vehicles or categories of vehicles we plan to test. Subscribe to our RSS feed for notification of when new crash test results are posted to our site."

The manufacturer has absolutely nothing to do with what vehicles of theirs are tested. Hence, IIHS has chosen not to test the Mazda3 with side airbags and side air curtains.
    A few things about the quote from the IIHS:

* In some cases the IIHS has published crash test results on new designs almost immediately after, sometimes even concurrent with, the release of the car to the general public. Case in point, the IIHS published the side impact test results for the 2008 Accord in a press release on Nov. 15. It would have been difficult for the IIHS (but not impossible) to buy a car from a dealer in time to perform the tests for that press release.

* As I noted earlier, the IIHS doesn't perform most frontal offset tests anymore--they are performed by the manufacturer instead. In those cases, the cars are not purchased from dealers, but are selected by the manufacturers and the tests are conducted by the manufacturers and reported to the IIHS. The IIHS reserves the right to re-run the test if they choose.

Verification ratings are based on 40 mph frontal offset crash tests conducted by manufacturers for vehicles meeting requirements established by the Institute. Manufacturers supply information on basic vehicle and test parameters, measurements of intrusion into the occupant compartment, injury data recorded on a dummy representing an average-size man in the driver seat, and video of the tests. Institute engineers review this information and rate vehicles based on the same evaluation parameters used for the Institute's frontal offset test. To ensure manufacturers' good faith participation, the Institute is conducting audit tests.
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/frontal_test_info.html

* Manufacturers can ask the IIHS to test a car outside the IIHS' regular test schedule, but the manufacturer must pay for the car then.

Each year, the Institute offers to test Top Safety Pick candidates early in the model year. The policy is for manufacturers to reimburse the Institute for the cost of vehicles if the tests aren't part of the group's regular schedule.
    http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr111507.html

When side airbags are optional, the Institute tests without the option and will conduct a second test with the optional airbags if the manufacturer requests it and reimburses the Institute for the cost of the vehicle.
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/side_test_info.html

So all Mazda has to do is ask the IIHS to re-test the Mazda3 with the optional SABs and reinburse the IIHS for the cost of the test car.
    interesting.....since the mid year change will add side air bags as standard equipment on all models except the base i Sport, I wonder if they will retest it.
    I really doubt it, unless Mazda asks/pays for it. Usually if a car is close to a new design, they just wait for the new design. Isn't the 3 due for a redux for MY 2010, coming out next year?
  • ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 460
    I could swear I saw the 2008 Editors Most Wanted awards on Edmunds recently, and the Mazda3 won. But now I can't seem to find them again. Pretty impressive considering the 3 is an older design than the Civic that won last year.
    It wasn't the Edmunds.com Most Wanted Awards, but something different: the Inside Line Editor's Most Wanted Awards, i.e. the six cars they like best.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=124166
  • colloquorcolloquor Posts: 482
    Backy is correct, as the IIHS does accept a fee for "fast tracking" tests, e.g. the 2008 Accord. You can extrapolate data on somewhat analogous models by going to the Euro NCAP website. Although the majority of European models differ from North American models, it's an interesting comparison, as some cars are the same.

http://www.euroncap.com/home.aspx

Although not one of the vehicles discussed here, it's also interesting - and, perhaps illuminating - that IIHS's test data on the new Scion xB doesn't include side impact results, only front. Maybe Toyota knows something that they prefer we don't know on the new xB.
    Maybe, or maybe the IIHS is planning to test the xB soon anyway, so Toyota decided to wait for that. I just wish the IIHS would be quicker on their tests, particularly the side tests. There's some cars that were redesigned 1-2 years ago and the IIHS has not published side impact test results yet. And some of these are big sellers, e.g. Altima, Elantra, Sentra. :mad:
    Colloquor: I just spent a few minutes visiting the "euroncap" website. Thank you very much for the tip. I noticed that euronacp did a side impact test on a Mazda3 that WAS equipped with the side airbags. Did I read their test results correctly? It looked to me like the '06 Mazda 3 did pretty well.
    I could swear I saw the 2008 Editors Most Wanted awards on Edmunds recently,

It is, as well as the Mazda6, CX-7, CX-9, and MX-5. They are all the Edmunds.com Editors Most Wanted in their respective class.
    Actually Edmunds.com has not published its Most Wanted awards for 2008 yet. Inside Line did recently publish its "top six" Most Wanted list or whatever they called it, but this is not the same as the Edmunds.com Editors Most Wanted awards. For 2007, those awards included the Mazda6 (sedan under $25k), CX-9, MX-5, and Mazda3s (wagon under $20k). Those awards did not include the CX-7.

Here's the link to the 2007 Most Wanted Awards. For some reason, it's no longer on the Edmunds.com main page:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/mostwanted/2007/
    Mazda just had a sales event named "Mazdas Most Wanted Sales Event", where the base was that the editors at Edmunds.com named 5 Mazdas as their "Most Wanted". This included the Mazda3, Mazda3, CX-7, CX-9, and MX-5.
    I guess the Mazda marketeers were a overly optimistic, eh? You can see for yourself using the link I posted earlier that Edmunds.com did NOT name the CX-7 one of their "Most Wanted" vehicles for 2007, and I don't see any announcement of the Edmunds.com Most Wanted for 2008 yet. And the CX-7 isn't included in the 2008 Inside Line Editors Most Wanted "top six" either. The CX-7 was "Honorable Mention" on the 2007 Edmunds.com "Most Wanted" awards, so I guess if Mazda wants to be accurate they could have called their sales event "Mazdas Most Wanted and (Al)Most Wanted Sales Event." ;)
    I wish the web site still posted the event, so I could post the link, but it was over as of 1.2.08.
    I believe you re Mazda including the CX-7 in their marketing event. The Mazda marketeers must have thought that "honorable mention" was close enough for horseshoes, or selling cars. :)
This discussion has been closed.