Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs Toyota Corolla vs Mazda3

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Resale value is a problem , but no worse than Mazda.

As a whole, Hyundai does not have great resale value. With Mazda that is not the case. Some models have wonderful resale, and then others do not. The Mazda3, MX-5, and RX-8 have above average resale value. The Mazda6, Tribute, B-Series are not so great. The Tribute and B-Series I can understand why, but, the Mazda6 has always been puzzling to me. The CX's have not been out long enough to accurately asses resale values.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Well, sometimes the discussion turns to hatches in there, and so far no one has complained. :)
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    The 3s gets about 25 or so in the city driving and about 32 on the highway. Both great cars to drive and we're pretty happy. I now know why the a/c has problems cooling quickly in the 3...all that black in the interior heats up significantly and it's probably a necessity to tint the windows. Unfortunately, the wife won't do it so she lives with the few minutes of intense heat until things cool down.
    I, on the other hand, have the lightest tint on the Civic and since my handicap parking space at work is sheilded by the building from the west sun, my car cools down much quicker.
    But I wouldn't let this one issue dissuade anyone away from the 3 if they really like the car...using a windshield shade will probably help alot. Like I said, the 3 is a much more exciting car to drive...much like a little race car which just adds to the fun. It's a little pocket rocket especially in the "S" version.

The Sandman :)
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Posts: 76
    Wow, that is awesome mileage on the 3S. What do you get with your Civic?
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    I get the same FE on my 2005 Mazda6 i. Same 2.3L engine, and my A/C works great! They are different A/C units, though.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    That's a WHOLE lot better than what I'm getting on my 2.3l Mazda3...I'm getting between 27 and 29 MPG. Thats NYS gas though, which is pretty much all E10
    Getting 29 in the city and 36 on the highway which is pretty respectable in my world. Very pleased and when I need my speed fix, I just jump in the 3s like I've said before.
    Very anxious to test drive the new Corolla XLE actually. If I had to get a Corolla, that'd be the one for me. Don't like the body cladding on the S model and the LE seems to have taken over the old CE spot in the lineup. But I'll bet the XLE will sticker out higher than the Civic LX. The EX probably should go against the XLE with the more powerful 2.4 engine. Bet that sucker is as fast as the 3s.

I'm in NY and that is still better than the 22-26 MPG I get in my '96 Altima w/ a 2.4L.
    I looked at a Corolla LE yesterday and you are right the interior looked more like a CE interior used to. Suprisingly there was only 1 Corolla on the showroom floor although the salesman said they had loads in stock. There was no Prius on the floor either. The slaesman said they were out of them and the next 7 Prius's would be getting were already sold.

I thought the driving position was better in the Corolla then the Civic because I could see part of the hood. I could not tell where the front of the car was in the Civic since I could not see the hood at all. I do like the body shape of the Civic better though.

I wonder how the A/C is on the Corolla, the new Camry has had some complaints that it does not get cold enough.

There are few XRS models and professonal reviews note that it has a rough ride. If professional reviewers who always value handling most of all say it has a rough ride the ride must be bad.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I'm 6'5" and can't see the front of any car I've ever driven except for a '96 Tahoe SUV. The rest all have raked hoods that I can maybe see the two or three inches closest to the windshield, but no further.

None is easier to see the front end of than another; and that includes a 2004 Corolla that I used to drive fairly regularly.
    I'm in NY and that is still better than the 22-26 MPG I get in my '96 Altima w/ a 2.4L.

Yeah, but MY number was with 90% highway driving...my commute is i84 to i684 to exit 2. I spend about 52 miles on the highway and 2 miles on "other" stuff, each way. ;) Actually, maybe that's 95%....
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    The A/C in the Camry is ice cold - no complaints here, and I have not read that complaint on the 3 websites I visit - where did you see that?

I have not heard anyone complain about the new Corolla's A/C temperature either.
    There were so many complaints about the A/C on the Mazda3 that the hosts moved the discussion to its own topic for Mazda3 claimate control issues.
    For all highway mileage that is low.

I'm in Brooklyn and use the car mostly on weekends so I am sometimes in traffic during the day but come home late at night so there is no traffic on the highway then so half my trip is at a steady 60 mph.
    You must be around White Plains...right? Used to be right up the pike from you in Briarcliff for many years. Not sure how my 4 cylinder Civic would handle all those hills in Westchester. Or any 4 cylinder car for that matter. Last time I was there, the rental company gave me a brand new Impala LTZ because of my spinal issues and I must say that car could handle any hill I threw at it with no problem. And there was one hill overlooking the Hudson towards Scarborough that almost killed the 6 cylinder Grand Am that I had the previous year.
    Down here in South Florida a small econocar is a good thing but if I still lived up north, I'd definitely want a 6 cylinder car at least.

Actually, I work in Rye Brook, which is in between White Plains and Greenwich, CT. I live in Beacon, NY though.
  • sparklandsparkland Posts: 108
    We shopped the Civic EX against the Corolla XLE. We liked the inside of the Civic a little better-more refined, but liked the styling of the Corolla.

As far as pricing, the Civic EX was $18,900 and the LX was about $17,700. The Corolla XLE was the same as the Civic EX but with NAV that went up to $19,900.

We liked the XLE but in the end went with the Civic because my wife liked the Royal Blue Pearl color. The interior of the XLE was really light either gray or beige. :shades: Probably should have waited for the traction control on the 2009 model but needed the car right away.

Good luck shopping.
  • usfcrim76usfcrim76 Posts: 4
    Took a test drive in an I Touring value and a new civic last week. The Mazda wins hands down. I couldn't believe how quiet the 3 was over the Civic, the advantage of features over the Civic, and the $3k price advantage of the Mazda. Only two things the Civic has advantage is the keyless entry is all enclosed in the key vs. the key fob of the Mazda, and the lack of a grey interior on the 3. Neither will deter me from buying a 3 come the end of July or August.

Oh and the Civic is $260 more a year insurace vs. the Mazda $150 more a year than what i'm paying now.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    ...the keyless entry is all enclosed in the key vs. the key fob of the Mazda...

I'm not a fan of the fad to include the keyless remote buttons with the keys. That tends to make the keys bigger and more expensive to replace. With a separate key and fob, it's no problem geting a replacement key at your neighborhood hardware store for a couple of bucks, and a replacement fob at a low price on eBay etc. Where can you get the fancy keys with integrated remote control except from dealers?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Who is replacing their keys regularly?

I like the integrated key; back in my last house all I carried was the key. I had a garage door opener and a spare back door key in the car. No need for a keychain.
This discussion has been closed.