Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra vs Honda Civic

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Anyone see the Motor Trend article comparing Elantra, Sentra, Civic, and Lancer?

If you subscribe, I won't ruin the outcome for you, but I will tell you the people in this forum will probably like the outcome.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    The Sandman :) :)
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    no i hadn't heard about it! is it on their website yet?
  • james31278james31278 Posts: 78
    That depends. Then again the new Sentra isn't the old one. The new one is a mega ugly bulky slow way too heavy car vs the lightweight better looking versions of 2000-2006.
    I'm confused on what "depends"?

The new Sentra is obviously the one they tested.
    actually, given its weight, it does ok and gets better fuel economy to boot.

Ugly and better looking is totally subjective. For example, the older sentra to me is mighty plain looking, even in se-r guise, which just adds a darker, red stiched interior and different color gagues.
    yeah me too. James if you are talking about stacking up the older sentra versus the cars listed here, it would be even worse for the sentra. (unless the corolla was included; i think i'd take a nice 2.5 non se-r over a corolla.)
    Heck, I'd take a slap in the face over a Corolla...

...maybe...
    How do you know it would be worse?
    because the older sentra is ancient mechanically and with regards to features. Putting that up against what the competition is offering now would be suicide....

hence....

why the sentra is what it is now!

...maybe...

the best post EVER on this website! i literally (and i can't belive i'm going to say it) lol'd! :)
    Yeah what it is now, a French piece of junk chassis. An unnecessarily modified engine when all they had to do with give it better airflow to and from the engine then maybe tweak one thing in the engine itself. I'll take the stealth sedan over the ugly duckling any day.

...maybe...

the best post EVER on this website! i literally (and i can't belive i'm going to say it) lol'd!

Hehe. :)

I've actually BEEN slapped by a Corolla owner (my ex gf). Notice the word "ex."

In fairness, if I was 5'4" as opposed to 6'4" the Corolla wouldn't be nearly so bad. The driving position is just a torture rack for me though.
    havent all the reviews shown that from a numbers standpoint that despite the new se-r's akward stance, it grips and handles better than the previous generation? A lot of the reviews for the generation that you own have made a lot of fuss about its great engine begging for a new chassis!

i guess looks are to each his own.
    oh geez grad you are hilarious! ;)

sorry about the slap. Ex huh? good riddance!

i actually had a chance to drive an 07 corolla recenlty, a friend at work has one, i didn't think the driving postion was horrible (i'm only 5'8, 5'9 on a good day, so you would be chewbacca like in stance compared to me.), but it was a little funky. The gauges were ok though.

Hey grad, guess what? my wife and i are considering a civic again.
    Car reviews are like movie reviews. The reviewer's point of view is theirs and no one else's. If that were the case which I doubt it is, they picked the wrong chassis.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    As a 2nd vehicle I presume. Been seeing more and more Rabbits lately and I think I prefer the 4 door ersion over the 2 door actually. With just about a years ownership and hitting 8k miles today on my Civic, still very pleased with this car. The mileage seems to be a couple of mpg's better since our small road trip a couple of weeks ago. Think it was good to get the engine running at 70 to 75 for the hour and 1/2 drive each way we took.
    If I had to do a do over though, I'd go for the EX for the extra goodies. Like the stopping feel of the wife's 3s with the 4 wheel discs...they just seem to preform better than the rear drums of my LX. That's the only small regret I've got with the Civic. Still get compliments on the Galaxy grey color also.

The Sandman :)
    Getting rid of the VW, or just adding a second car to the mix?

The gauges in the ex's Corolla were that "indiglo" looking stuff, not the nice Lexus-like display they have now. They glared pretty badly (lit up too bright) if you wanted a clear view of them.
    yeah, it would not be a 2nd car, but replacing the bunny.

I like the look of the 4 door version better as well, and having four doors is becoming a neccesity for us...hence why we considered the 4 door bunny, but then our quest for a fuel efficient car is trumped. (the 4 door is pretty much equal with regards to price of a four door civic ex, but with out the mileage gain; our bunny at least has a low msrp.)

I orignally wanted a gti 4 door, you know have the best of both worlds...but then i would be paying the same price as an ex accord and while getting better mileage than my rabbit, would have to deal with putting in premium. The gti and se-r are the only sporty compacts with no penalties automatics (the gti being the far superior one ofcourse) and while i'd like an si sedan, the premium gas and the fact that its a manual comes into play again.

I agree sand, while i had an ex, i wouldn't go to an lx, i'd get the ex again. I would still like to have a hatch, but if i want good mpg and the honda nameplate, the fit is the only offering. we are considering a sport auto (preferably in white or blue) as well.

I still don't think that the milage is a huge issue on the bunny, but having four doors is...at least its getting that way for us. the better fuel efficiency is a plus, and we drive highway a lot, which means i'll probably see much better mpg than i used to on my old civic, which was only highway driving on the weekends.

Grad: the newer gauges are nice, but your ex's were lame! ;)

oh and sandman: i wanted to consider a mazda 3 hatch, i like the looks, even though the mileage would be about the same, i would have at least the handling to back it up...but my wifes protege5 gave her some headaches, and her moms v-6 mazda6 is providing her with a whole slew of new ones. Needless to say, she wants to get a honda now.
    like you said, it is opinion, but what a skilled driver acheives in a car is not really arguable. Its the 'i don't like the way it looks' or 'i hate the gauges' that you have to ignore.
This discussion has been closed.